• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

And the Oton KS has started (on its own page, not KS)

http://www.otonx.com/

$1 million bucks is the goal. So far, $49 pledged

Apparently it makes it own games somehow and will play Android and Linux games, it has some sort of Kinect motion sensing deal, and a "laser projection camera" whatever that is.

http://youtu.be/x4Nf9nMW8rA

If it can do any of this, you'd think they would have had a little more publicity than just a press release on Games Press

1. Receive instant new games daily created by the OTON artificial intelligence network
2. Create new custom games quickly and easily using OTON Creation Automation Engine
3. Laser project your games on any surface with custom environment creation simulation
4. Challenge OTON artificial intelligence game-play engine (If you dare!)
5. Co-develop with friends, developers and OTON
6. Mod your OTON games with your custom user content
7. Control OTON with voice and motion. Include gamer chat
8. Play Android and open source games on OTON
9. Transfer your OTON games to your personal devices

10. Create music, websites, photos and media content
11. Enhance classic game levels, game-play and A.I., turn old classic games into new updated OTON classic games
12. Co-Op players can create in game real time obstacles for co- players (conjure a wall up to block your friend’s progress)
13. Game-play Games of Champions. Play multi-OTON created levels within pre-set time limit
14. Sell your custom game creations in the OTON store
15. Use OTON to create your blog or social website to post your custom OTON games
16. Create custom game and utility mobile apps
17. Mod your new OTON game for Windows, Linux or Android platform with the OTON auto compiler

edit: and apparently this isn't some sort of joke (which I thought perhaps it was). It's from the same people who put out the Evo Smart Console

edit2: I don't know what to think. It's almost a parody of the Ouya. They even have a european guy who designed the console, "the acclaimed French designer and internet sensation Joseph Dumary."

CFMOORE!

Howdy Chaps!

A good friend of mine just posted up his kickstarter campaign for a game he and his friends are working on. I figured I could mention it here to maybe help him and his team gain a couple of pledges. The game he has shown me thus far is neat and you guys can see for yourselves at the page. They're asking for a small humble amount, so anything will help!

Scarecrow Samurai
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/406283937/scarecrow-samurai?ref=live

Putty

The ultimate game of Cops And Robbers brought to you by developers behind GTA & Wipeout.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1723321739/criminalympics

Compete against the worlds criminal elite for a chance at freedom!

As an inmate of the new government formed ‘Staten Island ghetto prison camp’ you are given the opportunity to compete in the annual Crime Time TV ‘Criminalympics’ reality TV sporting spectacular, for a chance to reduce your sentence.

Landslide Studios is a made up of a team of dedicated artists, designers, animators and developers who have a passion for creating high quality, fun games.

Each member of the team has considerable experience of the processes involved in game development through direct industry experience in the gaming field. With experience from Team 17 and Rockstar Games we know what it takes to develop a great game and make it work for the fans.

Credited titles the team at Landslide Studios has worked on in the past:

Grand Theft Auto - Vice City Stories
Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories
Wipeout
Midnight Club
Leisure Suit Larry - Box Office or Bust
Alien Breed
Lemmings Revolution

The ultimate game of Cops And Robbers brought to you by developers behind GTA & Wipeout.

As an inmate of the new government formed ‘Staten Island ghetto prison camp’ you are given the opportunity to compete in the annual Crime Time TV ‘Criminalympics’ reality TV sporting spectacular, for a chance to reduce your sentence.

Sorry, but that does not sound appealing at all.

DiscoJer

That looks...awful. I thought it was going to be GTA like, but it's an olympic style game, different events that criminals compete in.

And looking at their company portfolio, the only product they seem to have actually finished (or at least is available) is this:

http://www.landslidestudios.com/portfolio.php?work=9&image=1

Sandhaven Beach Trail - an official application for South Tyneside Council.

More than just a walk in the park!

Take a virtual walk along the beautiful, award winning coastline of South Shields in the North East of England. Stroll through sand dunes and along cliff tops to discover the natural wildlife and stunning sandy beaches.

Listen to an RNLI volunteer tell the history of birthplace of the worlds first purpose built lifeboat in 1789. View fascinating images of times past and present and see how contemporary artists have captured the unique character of the area through photography, sculpture and poetry.

And the best part

Listen to young award winning poet, Jake Campbell respond to the 'foreshore' of his home town

Maybe he could be a stretch goal for Criminalympics

I think the biggest thing here is that it doesn't sound like a game that you guys want to make. It sounds like it's something you feel you need to do in order to get noticed.

(Assuming Putty is on the dev team)

Putty

I think the biggest thing here is that it doesn't sound like a game that you guys want to make. It sounds like it's something you feel you need to do in order to get noticed.

(Assuming Putty is on the dev team)

Assuming incorrectly. Don't like it? don't support it.

miknein

Banned
A kickstarter just closed with $28 left and didn't make it. And as it goes, if you don't get the full amount you get nothing.

$28 short of 50k :)

Game looked fugly as hell but damn that must be terrible...

PS. Thanks Patrick Klepek for source.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That has to be the closest a kickstarter has come to reaching funding, but failed. At least percentage-wise, they had about 99.95% of their funding.

Munin

I heard in these extremely close calls Kickstarter itself just coughs up the rest. Though not sure how true that is. But considering they must be earning shit tons of money, it would be a nice gesture.

DiscoJer

A kickstarter just closed with $28 left and didn't make it. And as it goes, if you don't get the full amount you get nothing.

$28 short of 50k :)

Game looked fugly as hell but damn that must be terrible...

PS. Thanks Patrick Klepek for source.

That was the 2nd Kickstarter for that, too. The first one was part of a M.U.L.E. remake deal, you got the remake and this game, Alpha Colony, which was supposed to be a spiritual successor.

But damn, you'd think a friend or relative of someone working on the project would have pledged something.

edit:

Gamesutra has an article on this

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/182756/Alpha_Colony_Kickstarter_misses_funding_goal_by_28.php

Seems like they are somewhat relieved it didn't make it, they thought they were going to get $100k again, like their first KS, and put their goal at only $50k which probably wouldn't have been enough to make the game.

DiscoJer

Here's another RPG, Days of Dawn

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bumblebee/days-of-dawn

Has a very interesting art style (not sure about the dialogue)

7cec4fd64d9f904dc26282bb3c139e20_large.jpg

Your up to four companions encounter the most vivid and original creatures in a blazingly fast sequential round-based combat system while researching the mystery of marvelous powers recently felt and seen in the lands of Kalea. Learn to use these forces by channeling your feelings - use emotions instead of spells to evoke powerful magic with a surprise. Chose your path and your companions to enter a vast network of nonlinear storylines in a world whose magic just came alive.

Aselith

Since they don't charge people for the pledges and put that it failed on the KS page, I'm going to say that's false.

Yeah, if they were going to fund it they'd probably do it before it ended. People would be having a shit fit if they found out they were charged for an unsuccessful project until they found out the reason which would be hard for KS to communicate without making the project say that it was successful.

n0b

I'm worried that Sportsfriends isn't going to make it at its current rate. ): Its always kind of sad to see projects you like going slow on kickstarter.

All of my other backings seem well on their way though (LA/GS, Limit Theory, Barkley); in fact the only one that hasn't already passed its goal is tiny barbarian.

Dwayne

It really needs another round of press, it's only got up a grand in the last 12 hours which will have them finish at $82,000 if nothing changes.

n0b

I guess I'm also just a bit more surprised about Sportsfriends; J.S. Joust has been around for a while and talked about decently in the games press, the other games are either known as well or at least from known names, and its proposing setting up something to help them finish getting somewhere rather than asking for money to start from scratch.

Those two you gave both are probably hard sells outside of their audience because of how specific they are in content and having a lot less to show and fewer people vouching for them, and kaiju kombat especially seems like an incredibly large project for what they are asking.

DiscoJer

I guess I'm also just a bit more surprised about Sportsfriends; J.S. Joust has been around for a while and talked about decently in the games press, the other games are either known as well or at least from known names, and its proposing setting up something to help them finish getting somewhere rather than asking for money to start from scratch.

Those two you gave both are probably hard sells outside of their audience because of how specific they are in content and having a lot less to show and fewer people vouching for them, and kaiju kombat especially seems like an incredibly large project for what they are asking.

That applies to Sportsfriends as well. Who is the target audience? People who go to video game conventions, conferences, and related parties, apparently.

n0b

That applies to Sportsfriends as well. Who is the target audience? People who go to video game conventions, conferences, and related parties, apparently.

Yeah, the audience problem is there, I can see that, but they have a lot more there to convince people outside of that initial audience. (Though the intended audience is just fans of local multiplayer, its just that those games and other similar games like Nidhogg had also been using the touring as publicity for eventual release) They have a clear and realistic plan, completed games that just need porting to intended platforms, and endorsement and support from many known names in the industry.

They have a video game that isn't a video game in the traditional sense, that is a super hard sell. Not to mention it's attached to the least popular motion controller around. It's not something you can really convince a huge amount of people on through video or testimonials. Not sure what they could do to get more attention.

As for PWX, they really should have released a playable demo. Even with the current outdated graphics it'd have been good to convince people they're for real. Their main goal is to get money to redo the graphics, so they should theoretically have a good chunk of game they could give you a taste of.

ferr

I'm really fascinated by the success and failure of kickstarter projects. One thing that has me wondering, with projects like Limit Theory where the 'company' is made up of one person -- how do stretch goals still work?

So you make an extra 75k and that means a huge feature is added to the game? How does throwing money at a project with one person on it add new features? I guess some things can be done by purchasing assets, etc, but some of this stuff just looks like extra coding. Is he going to work harder and be more productive now that people are paying 150k instead of 120k? Or does each new feature mean the game is delayed a little more?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really fascinated by the success and failure of kickstarter projects. One thing that has me wondering, with projects like Limit Theory where the 'company' is made up of one person -- how do stretch goals still work?

So you make an extra 75k and that means a huge feature is added to the game? How does throwing money at a project with one person on it add new features? I guess some things can be done by purchasing assets, etc, but some of this stuff just looks like extra coding. Is he going to work harder and be more productive now that people are paying 150k instead of 120k? Or does each new feature mean the game is delayed a little more?

On Limit Theory, he said stretch goals are most likely going to come after launch. If he can get some of it in before launch then great, but otherwise it's coming later so it doesn't delay the game.

As to why the idea of stretch goals works, people probably don't care if it's one person or 50 working on a project. It's just "more features/content = good" and it gives incentive for people to jump in. And it definitely works, see Pier Solar for a reverse example. Rather than having a big spike on the last couple days it stayed pretty well leveled off, because after hitting the last stretch goal with over 35ish hours to go they didn't update with more goals.

New updates to posts 1351 and 1352:

I'm also trying out some new graphics that I plan on using for the new 2013 Thread, what do you guys think on the updated header?

iGjsZaj2PWwFL.png

ikBOhqLrqah62.png

(AKA: Recently added to the list)

- Forsaken Fortress - the survival RPG (Ends Dec 22nd) Ongoing.
- Freq.Trigger - PLAY your music (Ends Dec 28th) Ongoing.
- Scarecrow Samurai (Ends Dec 28th) Ongoing.
- Barkley 2 - an RPG Sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (Ends Dec 28th | Thread) Funding Met. Ongoing.
- CONSORTIUM (Ends Dec 31st 2013) Ongoing.
- Days of Dawn (Ends Jan 1st 2013) Ongoing.
- Antharion - An Old-School RPG (Ends Jan 5th 2013 | Thread) Funding Met. Ongoing.
- OTON! THE FIRST AUTONOMOUS GAME CONSOLE!!! (Ends Jan 5th 2013) Ongoing. - Non Kickstarter Site
- Criminalympics (Ends Jan 10th 2013) Ongoing.

ibcmzPBRt1oKKS.png

- Sui Generis ($257,679.10) (£160,055) | Thread)
- Pier Solar HD an RPG for XBOX360, PC, Mac, Linux & Dreamcast ($231,370 | Thread)
- Maia ($226,192.26)(£140,481) | Thread)
- Sir, You Are Being Hunted ($149,018.87)(£92,551) | Thread)
- Bicycle® Apocalyptica Playing Cards - The World Ends (physical card game, but I will include it) ($22,864)
- Spud's Quest ($9,713.84)(£6,033)

iIkg0aLA3X56F.png

- 2D Space MMO (Ends Nov 29th)
- Circus of Light (Ends Nov 30th)
- Unusual Heroes (Ends Dec. 3rd)
- Kung Fu Superstar: Become the Ultimate Martial Arts Stuntman (Ends Dec. 4th)
- THORVALLA an RPG by Guido Henkel (Ends Dec 19th) (project cancelled)

- Alpha Colony: An Exploration, Building and Trading Game ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502463&highlight=kickstarter&page=2) _I had no idea that this one ever returned or failed by $28?!

Sentenza

- THORVALLA an RPG by Guido Henkel (Ends Dec 19th) (project cancelled)
Their complaints against "clear lack of interest in RPGs" come out as whiny and annoying to say the least.
"We worked very hard for our pitch". No, guys, time to face it: you clearly didn't.
TWELVE updates into your campaign I still had a very vague idea of what kind of game you were making and all you had to show off was a tiny gif of of small wood hut.

DiscoJer

Their complaints against "clear lack of interest in RPGs" come out as whiny and annoying to say the least.
"We worked very hard for our pitch". No, guys, time to face it: you clearly didn't.
TWELVE updates into your campaign I still had a very vague idea of what kind of game you were making and all you had to show off was a tiny gif of of small wood hut.

I dunno. Wasteland 2 didn't even know what engine they are using, here they have a scene with a hut and a dragon moving around. It's something. And they clearly state it's a party based, isometric CRPG.

I think the problem is, who is Guido Henkel? I've played several of those games on the KS page and I had never heard of him before.

edit:

And the header looks great, BTW

Sentenza

I think the problem is, who is Guido Henkel? I've played several of those games on the KS page and I had never heard of him before.
I know who he is, I'm even a fan of few of his past productions, and yet their pitch was weak as hell.

Wasteland 2 campaign on the other hand was very specific about what kind of game they were going to build, beside being the sequel of a beloved cult classic and involving famous names in game development.
The engine wasn't known at first, that's true, but it was also almost irrelevant.
We aren't talking exactly about cutting edge technology here.

But yeah, that's the point: if you as a developer think that a vague pitch is good enough to rack money then you are in for a blunt awake.
It may be good enough for popular people with a lot of visibility, a big name to push and a proven track record, not for every Average Joe in the gaming industry.

On a side note, their header was vastly expanded with their updates. The original one was as barren as you can get.

No interest my ass, there's plenty of RPG projects on Kickstarter. But I think the problem is that people are a bit weary of the same-y looking"me too" RPG's that don't offer anything new from what is already out there. Unless you are a big name developer with a good track record like Obsidian, or have something off the wall like Barkley 2, or have a killer game engine/ tech that reels people in, like Sui Generis. Trying to bank on your name and a vague idea isn't really going to cut it.

The same thing happened to another RPG project that I was really pulling for. The Tom Hall RPG, I was pulling for it, but it failed in the end because their proposal was just to vague and they were purely trying to sell the game on their name alone. While a well known name can help push a project, you also need a strong idea to go along with it.

you know, some of the biggest successful RPG projects on Kickstarter aren't video game related at all. But old school pen and paper/ figurine/ D&D stuff that end up getting a lot of funding. I find that interesting, that there still is a huge interest in traditional non-electronic games.

Frogacuda

Banned
I dunno. Wasteland 2 didn't even know what engine they are using
And they probably would have done better if they did. But it's fucking Wasteland 2, so of course it gets backed regardless.

Right. There are some KS campaigns that succeed on name recognition, but the rest have to actually do some prototyping and show some footage or at least screenshots first. It's got to be one or the other.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I was pleasantly surprised LA Game Space was funded, especially 34% over its goal. As much as I'm excited about Project Eternity and Wasteland 2, 30 games and all the information that will be created has me quite excited.

I realize this is tangentially, perhaps, related to gaming but Larry Elmore has a Kickstarter to put out a book of his art (with some extras). Already met the goal, but any above and beyond just beefs the book up more.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1488741362/larry-elmore-art-the-complete-elmore-artbook

I searched and didn't find a reference to it but may have missed it. I would've posted a new topic (and possibly in Off Topic, if it would've been more appropriate), but I don't have new thread privileges.

Dwayne

I realize this is tangentially, perhaps, related to gaming but Larry Elmore has a Kickstarter to put out a book of his art (with some extras). Already met the goal, but any above and beyond just beefs the book up more.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1488741362/larry-elmore-art-the-complete-elmore-artbook

I searched and didn't find a reference to it but may have missed it. I would've posted a new topic (and possibly in Off Topic, if it would've been more appropriate), but I don't have new thread privileges.

Looks cool, but $48 for international postage? what the?

r1chard

Phil Hassey has started a modest ($23k) Kickstarter to revamp his Galcon game into Galcon 2. A worthy indie developer and a reasonable goal, I reckon. Also, he's a nice bloke and you should support him :)

Orayn

Barkley 2 will soon reach the $73,000 mark and reveal a new batch of stretch goals. Ports to other platforms and more awesome silliness from Chef and the crew, hopefully.

That artbook looks sick. I don't think I'd wanna pay $49 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom