• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purkake4

Banned
"The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa"

Longest title ever?
"Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa" was nothing to sneeze at either...

DiscoJer

I'm wondering if Hero U will make it. $150k to go, six days to do it. It'll need a pretty significant spike.

I dunno. I thought it wasn't, but it's picked up a bit of steam the last couple of days. Maybe not enough though, but it should be close.

New updates made for post 1351

I added all the following:

- Super Comboman: Beat-em-up Sticker Action Platformer (Ends Nov 14th) Funding Met. Ongoing.
- 2D Space MMO (Ends Nov 29th) Ongoing.
- Sir, You Are Being Hunted (Ends Dec. 2nd | Thread) Funding Met. Ongoing.
- Unusual Heroes (Ends Dec. 3rd) Ongoing.
- Pier Solar HD an RPG for XBOX360, PC, Mac, Linux & Dreamcast (Ends Dec. 5th | Thread) Ongoing.
- Pro Wrestling X – Bringing back classic wrestling gaming! (Ends Dec. 7th) Ongoing.
- SPORTSFRIENDS featuring Johann Sebastian Joust (Ends Dec 10th| Thread) Ongoing.
- Fantasy Kommander - Eukarion Wars (Ends Dec 22nd) Ongoing.
- THE AMIGA WORKS (Allister Brimble recomposition CD) (Ends Jan 1st 2013) Ongoing.
- Elite: Dangerous (Ends Jan 4th 2013| Thread) Ongoing.

Also added thread links for:

- Awesome Controller (Ends Nov 21st | Thread) Ongoing.
- Sui Generis (Ends Nov 29th | Thread) Ongoing.
- Maia (Ends Nov 28th | Thread) Ongoing.

Please tell me if I forgot anything. :p

Mikeside

I know it isn't gaming related, but a few friends of mine did a great adventure recently(ish) called It's On The Meter, where they took an old black London taxi on a 43,000-mile world tour to raise money for the Red Cross.

They raised about £20k - it was a great success - they were even invited to be a part of the Olympic Closing ceremony!

So now they're trying to Kickstart some cash together for a photobook of the trip, which looks like it's going to be prety great.

Kickstart it here

Again, this isn't gaming related and I'm not sure how you guys feel about me advertising this here, so let me know if I'm out of line and I'll get rid of it!

epmode

I'm wondering if Hero U will make it. $150k to go, six days to do it. It'll need a pretty significant spike.

A little over three days to go and they're still 100k short. It's possible but it'll be close.

I'm still not sold on their new game but I really like the creators and I really want to see how it'll turn out!

After the last update I still think this project looks extremely promising:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaRqih7Cuw

Sadly at this pace they aren't going to make it.

This game needs more exposure, for sure. This is a title that I actually overlooked myself at first, but after watching the videos it looks really impressive. The physics combat engine is impressive enough in it self.

Definitely needs more exposure. Could end up being something unique (if the combat works out like I imagine).

They have to be more vocal

inm8num2

Does Kickstarter not have RSS feeds for project updates anymore? I set those up in the past easily, but now I can't find the option anywhere.

Maybe they took that away when they removed updates from your profile for projects you've only starred, not backed.

Does Kickstarter not have RSS feeds for project updates anymore? I set those up in the past easily, but now I can't find the option anywhere.

Maybe they took that away when they removed updates from your profile for projects you've only starred, not backed.

Yeah the updates section on the website only show you updates from stuff you backed now, not starred.

Each page still has RSS feeds though so you can plug that into Google Reader or whatever you use.

Don't like how they keep removing features instead of adding them. I still miss being able to see the progress/status of my backed projects without clicking them.

inm8num2

Yeah the updates section on the website only show you updates from stuff you backed now, not starred.

Each page still has RSS feeds though so you can plug that into Google Reader or whatever you use.

I can't seem to find the rss feeds for each project, though. Can you help a brother out? Thanks.

edit - nevermind, got it. Took the shortened url under the pitch video and put that into Google Reader.

Labadal

Thorvalla - Party based old school RPG.

Goal: 1 million dollars.
Days left: 29

Thorvalla is a new fantasy computer RPG that pays homage to the classics, but also takes role-playing into new gameplay territory. Getting away from the veneer of bombastic linear storytelling that modern games have to offer, Thorvalla brings back many of the traits that made classic computer RPGs such memorable experiences. At the same time, it expands the experience and reinvents the way certain game mechanics are being handled.

The result is a game that will feel fresh and reinvigorated, as you tackle the mainstay of good role-playing games: adventure and exploration, character development, critical decision making, and… yes… combat!

Project looks interesting, but the rewards aren't very exciting. Going to back it with $15.

DiscoJer

This is one I would be all over if it wasn't for iOS (not having an iOS device), Tony LaRussa's Baseball with fans

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161203666/tony-la-russas-baseball-with-fans

It's actually from Don Daglow, who did Earl Weaver baseball for EA, and then Tony LaRussa Baseball for SSI (RIP)

They want $250k, which is probably a hard sell given it's iOS and that TLR has probably made what, $50 million in his career? (About $2 million a year with the Cardinals at least).

They need to stop being so fucking greedy. This will never make 1 million with only bits of concept art and the prestige of a developer mainly known for his work only in a single country, Germany.

The campaign page is not a very subtle copy-paste of the Eternity format, either.

Just look at the Rewards section.

disap.ed

Mr. Orange, could you please put the unsuccesfull projects in a seperate section?
It's hard to keep an eye on new projects.
Thx.

Saw that MrCunningham did an up to date post, but this should be really in the OP IMO.

He hasn't touched the OP in ages. Tex Murphy is still listed as I RON'T ROW RAGGY.

Would probably be better if MrCunningham made a new thread given that he actually seems to be on top of this stuff.

disap.ed

I support this idea, really top job by MrCunningham!
First three posts should be reserved for "Current projects", "Succesfully funded" and "Not succesful".

He hasn't touched the OP in ages. Tex Murphy is still listed as I RON'T ROW RAGGY.

Would probably be better if MrCunningham made a new thread given that he actually seems to be on top of this stuff.

I'm planning on it. I need to work out a new template for the OP and maybe make up some new graphics. But I'm planing on starting a new Kickstarter thread for 2013, maybe I will get one started in December.

Three pages seem doable, though I might opt for four... we shall see.

DiscoJer

Here's another Space 4x Game. Predestination

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-a-turn-based-space-4x-strategy-game

Only want $25,000, have half of it with 30 days to go. Looks pretty decent, if sterile. Moo2's drawn graphics were cartoony somewhat, but they somehow felt realer than badly modeled 3d stuff.

And here's one of those head scratchers, at least to me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/783548120/1879-rpg-miniatures-and-app-0

It's from FASA, the old time gaming company that started off putting out Traveller supplements, then put out the Star Trek RPG, Crimson Skies, Battletech, Shadowrun, Earthdawn.

They want to Kickstart a whole new product line, 1879. An RPG, a miniatures game, and an iPad game (which seems to be basically like a miniatures tabletop battle game), for the low price of $325,000.

It seems to be something like a Victorian version of Stargate, setting wise.

I dunno. I know Shadowrun did well, but that was an extremely popular existing game line. And while this guy might be the co-founder of FASA, Jordan Weisman was the guy who seemed to be in the spotlight.

r1chard

Awesome, Maia made it! With some time to spare, and several stretch goals reached.

Stumbled on a neat-looking space sim today too: Limit Theory. Could be fun, but needs more Minecraft.
which he has included as the eminently reachable $75k stretch goal...

Time for some new updated for posts 1351 and 1352.

Newly Added:

- The History of Ocean Software by Retro Fusion (Ends Dec. 4th | thread) Ongoing.
- Make LA Game Space possible—Best Game Bundle Ever for $15! (Ends Dec. 7th | Thread) Ongoing.
- The Root Kit (Ends Dec 10th| Thread) Ongoing.
- THORVALLA an RPG by Guido Henkel (Ends Dec 19th)
- Dizzy Returns (Ends Dec 21st | Thread) Ongoing.
- Kaiju Combat - Giant Monsters. Awesome Fighting. Online. (Ends Dec 21st | Thread) Ongoing.
- Project GODUS by 22cans and Peter Molyneux (Ends Dec 21st | Thread) Ongoing.
- Limit Theory: An Infinite, Procedural Space Game (Ends Dec 22nd) Funding Met. Ongoing.
- Tony La Russa's Baseball with Fans (Ends Dec 23rd) Ongoing.
- 1879 RPG, Miniatures and App (Ends Dec 27th) Ongoing.
- Far-Fetched by Errol Vieira (Ends Dec 27th) Ongoing.
- Predestination - A turn-based space 4X strategy game (Ends Dec 28th) Ongoing.
- Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO (Ends Jan 14th 2013) Ongoing.

Recently Funded

- Star Citizen ($2,134,374 | Thread)
- Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption ($409,150 | Thread)
- Strike Suit Zero ($174,804 | Thread) Funding Met. Ongoing.
- Distance - A Next Generation Arcade Racer ( $161,981 | Thread) Funding Met. Ongoing.
- Shadowgate ($137,232 | Thread)
- Super Comboman: Beat-em-up Sticker Action Platformer ($16,170)
- Community Evolved: A Look at the Last Decade of Halo Fandom ($7,155)

Unsuccessful Projects

- Antharion (Ends Nov 17th | Thread) (this one was so close to hitting its goal)
- Ars Magica Video Game (Ends Nov 18th | Thread)
- Awesome Controller (Ends Nov 21st | Thread)

r1chard

No Maia love MrCunningham?

Also, have now watched the two GODUS "design" youtube vids and am considering withdrawing my pledge. Far too much hand-waving and focusing on non-gameplay elements (oh, hai Molyneux I guess...)

Wiktor

The Maia turnaround has been so beautiful. Such a great example of when indie community comes together to help eachother.

Ars Magica broke my heart though :(

Kickstarter for The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa is up!

Frogacuda

Banned
- Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO (Ends Jan 14th 2013) Ongoing. [/B]

I have a real problem with this one. They already had a successful Kickstarter to make a tech demo for this so they could secure a publisher and get funding. They raised an extra $250,000 over their goal, made their demo and got their funding.

Now they're coming BACK to Kickstarter for the same game, not because they need to, but because they can. They're not even saying the game depends on this money, they're just treating it like the free money well, and using it to exploit their fans.

I don't know if their publisher has anything to do with this, but the fact that they even have financial backing from a publisher now makes this seem very cynical.

No Maia love MrCunningham?

Well Maia is not a game that I have been following very closely to any degree. I did watch the pitch video and it looks very ambitious. So it's nice to see it get some funding. But when I updated my my list of currently ongoing/ funded and/ failed projects, I didn't include this one because it still had quite a few hours of funding to go.

I really hope that:

- Sui Generis (Ends Nov 29th | Thread) Ongoing.

Finds its funding next, they're just 20K shy of hitting their goal and the tech demos look really amazing. I do expect that there could be an 11th hour push that will get it there. :p

I have a real problem with this one. They already had a successful Kickstarter to make a tech demo for this so they could secure a publisher and get funding. They raised an extra $250,000 over their goal, made their demo and got their funding.

Now they're coming BACK to Kickstarter for the same game, not because they need to, but because they can. They're not even saying the game depends on this money, they're just treating it like the free money well, and using it to exploit their fans.

I don't know if their publisher has anything to do with this, but the fact that they even have financial backing from a publisher now makes this seem very cynical.

I'm not sure what to think about this one... $1million is asking a lot for an unproven developer. But if you watch the video, they talk about this thing going into potential beta by 2014 and final release by 2016. If you are paying a staff to work on this game for over 2 years, then 1 to 1.3 (with the previous funding) million seems about right. But their tech video doesn't show me anything impressive. They talk about how the players will affect the world in amazing ways, but they don't really show concrete examples of it. The Sui Generis tech videos are showing off so much more but they are asking for a lot less.

Frogacuda

Banned
I'm not sure what to think about this one... $1million is asking a lot for an unproven developer. But if you watch the video, they talk about this think going into potential beta by 2014 and final release by 2016. If you are paying a staff to work on this game for over 2 years, then 1 to 1.3 (with the previous funding) million seems about right. But their tech video doesn't show me anything impressive. They talk about how the players will affect the world in amazing ways, but they don't really show concrete examples of it.

I don't think you understand. They used the tech demo financed by the first Kickstarter to secure funding. They have a publisher and DEVELOPMENT IS PAID FOR. They're just using Kickstarter as a pre-order now so they can get free money. They're claiming the money is so they can get it made "faster," not that they "need" it.

It's really indefensible.

I don't think you understand. They used the tech demo financed by the first Kickstarter to secure funding. They have a publisher and DEVELOPMENT IS PAID FOR. They're just using Kickstarter as a pre-order now so they can get free money. They're claiming the money is so they can get it made "faster," not that they "need" it.

It's really indefensible.

No I don't understand the whole situation. Development may be paid for, but to what extent? I'm sure that the publisher they have might not be working with unlimited funds, so this group may be on a pretty fixed income as it is. What they are asking here is for additional funding to speed up the development process, they are not asking for funding to pay for the entire thing. I don't really see anything particularly wrong with that, nor do I see that as Kickstarter abuse. I think they made it pretty clear that this would be used for additional income. But with what they have shown so far, it is not really a project I would back either. :p

DiscoJer

It looks like someone is trying to one-up the Ouya, with a crowdfunded console called the "OTON"

They haven't started the crowdfunding part yet, but they put out a press release

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...CES_OTON_THE_FIRST_AUTONOMOUS_GAMECONSOLE.php

The OTON technology has been under development for the last three years. OTON is powered with exclusive software built on top of a custom version of Ubuntu, which is called the Otonomous X operating system. The platform is the first console to ship with both a rear laser projection camera for gaming on any surface wall and a front facing camera for motion and voice input gameplay. A rear laser projection camera allows the system to double as game-anywhere unit or transform into low cost presentation device for end-users. The system will ship in three HD models that retail for $279, $379, and $579. Each unit will ship with an OTON game controller and accessories. The OTON system is the most stunning console ever produced, designed exclusively by Joseph Dumary, sensational internet graphic artist. OTON will ship in solid black, two-tone black and gray and a limited edition crowdsource white edition. Early supporters can grab an OTON console at a discount of $179 without camera, $279 with rear projection laser camera, and $479 with both rear camera and front motion camera bundled into one device.

The unit will ship with a Cortex A9 quad-core processor, 2 GB ram and 16 GB of flash storage. It will support Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and has no optical disc drive. Support for audio I/O -- Line in/out/mic, S/PDIF in/out and support 2 SD ports with 3 USB and Ethernet port. Supporters of the project will get a free OTON preview disc powered by Ubuntu 12.10 in December 2012 to demo OTON with each OTON console donation. Derrick Samuels stated, "Our focus was to pack the most advance technology and innovation into this console to give gamers an experience in gaming never seen before."

Okay...

edit:

Kickstarter is going live on Nov 30th, according to their website

http://www.otonx.com/

r1chard

Wow. Sui Generis over the line with minutes to go. Close, but glad they made it - though not glad enough to have backed them - I just don't think it'll work - someone else can pay for their experimentation ;-)

Sentenza

Only for Linux?

What? This is one of the first statements on their KS page:
"For the $15 tier confusion, just want to clarify that $15 will entitle you to a digital download for ANY of the three platforms you want (PC, Mac and Linux)"

How did you get it was only for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom