• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Single Player Demo released on PSN (for everyone)

Jtrizzy

Hmm, maybe with the red light creepily illuminating the glasses? Problem is I don't have a tripod, and there is NO way in hell I would get a friend to photograph this.

witness

Well that was awesome, amazing visuals and the controls are improved so much over KZ2. The diversity in the level is awesome. Totally sold after this demo and the multiplayer demo. I couldn't stand more than 3 hours of KZ2, but this one will keep me busy for a long long time.

Konosuke

Loved the demo, I have to try it in co-op. What I didn't like though was the sudden change in sensitivity with jetpacks and mounted guns. And what's up with that drifting? That doesn't happen with the beta...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Loved the demo. It is nice to be excited about a single-player FPS taht isn't vastly overshadowed by its multiplayer offering.

nib95

Banned
I must say, GAF, I am severely disappointed there are not a tonne of direct feed captures from the demo yet :(

I like the level design. It's not Crysis but it's not a corridor funnel-fest, either. Played the demo a few times and tackled a few situations in different ways.

Zen

Banned
The-Warning said:
Yeah, that was my big complaint with KZ2, the military meathead characters. Rico and Sev seem a little more down-to-earth this time around, so that's good, but still, the characters don't measure up to the epic presentation and graphics.

I got the opposite impression from the demo; it's true that the swearing was overdone in Killzone 2, but that at least seemed like it was taping into how grunt soldiers talk in real life.

Both Rico and Sev seemed far more aloof and dudebro in the Killzone 3 demo (particularly the scene where Sev wants to use the jetpack). Consider the circumstances they find themselves in with Killzone 3 and it makes the new tone a little jarring.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
nib95 said:
I must say, GAF, I am severely disappointed there are not a tonne of direct feed captures from the demo yet :(
Just play the demo. It doesn't get more 'direct feed' than that.

Corto

Always-honest said:
By the way, how do you take cover with move? Played the entire demo without cover :p

spats said:
Move button. :p

THANK YOU! hehehehe

As for the demo it was godly awesome. The difference in the movement with the different weapons was a nice detail. The Move implementation is fantastic after tweaking the settings as recommended by GAFfers with no aim assist and 0 dead zone. I just need to up the turn speed a bit and make a new run through. The Jetpack was the only letdown I used it only as a traversal device, it's just clunky to control, shoot, speed boost, at least with the Move, maybe with the controller it's a little better. Will try it that way.

And finally just my thoughts on the 3D implementation. My Samsung 3D plasma buy is finally vindicated. No headaches, comfortable, visually stunning. I'll run the non 3D demo to compare. But 3D felt just great, and I'm sure I'll play it that way.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony is a butt with poo in it. I just want to play this stupid game and I can't because I don't have a HK account and don't want to make one. Ass burgers.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Sony is a butt with poo in it. I just want to play this stupid game and I can't because I don't have a HK account and don't want to make one. Ass burgers.

You should've made one a long time ago. Many times have demos come out first on the HK store when they're PS+ exclusive or some other bullshit.

spwolf

Y2Kev said:

if you buy PS+ you wont have to get HK acct, and you will get nice + sign next to your avatar!!!

Y2Kev said:
Come to the dark side(+) and get the demo now plus Stacking ;P

Corto

Konosuke said:
L1, and you can't remap it to L2. So annoying.

There is an option to swap L1 to L2 on wireless controller advanced settings but when I enable the option nothing happens. At least with the Move/controller combo.

lawblob said:
Gotta say, I'm very impressed with the 3D in this game. Based on the MP demo and this demo, I'd like all of my FPS games in 3D, please.
I was really impressed playing around with the 3D in multiplayer briefly, but I experienced a lot of ghosting with singleplayer, especially during cutscenes where it was more noticeable for whatever reason. I messed around with the depth some but could never find a solution I was really happy with. As cool as the effect could be at times, I would probably choose 2D if I couldn't tune it considerably better.

A couple other issues that were a problem for me but probably not many others:

I hate that Sev is seemingly about 4 feet tall from your point of view.

I really don't like the shape of the PS3 controller so I picked up a XCM Cross Battle Adapter a while back. I was really happy to see that I was allowed to swap shoulder buttons and triggers, but then I came to the motion control bit, which I thought added absolutely nothing in KZ2. I unplugged my 360 controller and put in a PS3 controller to get past that part but the game wouldn't allow me to unpause or navigate the KZ3 menu (although I could control the PS3 otherwise).

Pretty impressed with the Move controls. I loved playing all the Move games when I first got it and always wanted more. Only problem is I would love to switch the Move button to zoom and crouch as L2. This is the one game I would like fully customized controls on a console.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow. Anyone who thinks it looks worse than KZ2 needs glasses. Insane visuals. It's like the overall impression of KZ2 with better texturing and WAY more polygonal detail.

Was really fun. Too easy on default difficulty though. But I really liked it! Loved the controls and

CROUCH TOGGLE
CROUCH TOGGLE
CROUCH TOGGLE
CROUCH TOGGLE

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Tried a bit with the controller. Way too much lock on when ADS. Hopefully there is a way to turn off that shit.

Thought the demo was good. It is unfortunate that you are so overpowered throughout though. Hopefully that isn't the case throughout the entire game. Played on Veteran and was able to run and gun the entire way through without any real resistance.

Graphics are really good, though I was having issues with the audio not being in synch with the video for the cutscenes.

Set pieces seemed pretty basic - better perhaps then the outside portion of the KZ2 demo, but nothing on par with the interior portion of that demo. Enemy A.i. also seemed to be a step down from KZ2.

I'll play through again with Move to confirm whether this is a purchase or not - love the Move implementation but dislike the current MP so SP will be my determinant.

nib95

Banned
Ok so I made a HK account but can't find the demo? Even searched Killzone 3 and nothing but the Open BETA came up. Any help GAF?

nib95

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I just looked, it's been removed.

Ahhhh dammit....

Is PSN Plus worth it guys? £40 does seem steep, but I'm always seeing free games and stuff on there. What do you guys think?

Also, anyone wanna share their HK account details so I can download it from their DL history?

I enjoyed the demo. On Veteran enemies can take you out with just a few shots but as long as you start firing first they aren't hard to defeat. Some explosions felt like they were there just to keep me to a path though.

Visuals are just great. So clean.

SamBishop

Banned
metareferential said:
Coop play is virtually non existant.

No online, no mixed control schemes, no horde-like-mode (unless you consider playing with bots being a horde mode).

Speaking of motion controls: I can't get the hang of it; with deadzones turned to 0 it gets better, but I can't find a comfortable and stable way to hold the move controller.

Hopefully with the sharpshooter things will get easier, while also more fatiguing.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but if it's just feeling too twitchy, try aiming outside of the calibration points -- give it like 1-1/2 to 2 times the size of your TV. Crank up the sensitivity, and see if that helps.

Where motion controls fail is in the short range/quick turn stuff, and there's no getting around that. Also, make sure you've enabled the free zoom option; none of that snip bullshit, you want to pull up iron sights where you're looking, not have the reticle pull away from the center.

It's a terrible thing that the game requires so much futzing around to get it to feel "right," but after a few hours of messing with the preview build they sent us a while back, I got it fairly close. Not perfect by any means (you sort of sacrifice large movements for ridiculous precision in small ones), but it's hard to go back once you're able to see a dude, scope and blast him in like a second with a headshot nearly every time.

Tom Penny

Only thing I hate is that Rico is a borderline midget. Reminds me of Like call of duty 2 multi player on PC were the guys were all short.

SamBishop said:
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but if it's just feeling too twitchy, try aiming outside of the calibration points -- give it like 1-1/2 to 2 times the size of your TV. Crank up the sensitivity, and see if that helps.

Where motion controls fail is in the short range/quick turn stuff, and there's no getting around that. Also, make sure you've enabled the free zoom option; none of that snip bullshit, you want to pull up iron sights where you're looking, not have the reticle pull away from the center.

It's a terrible thing that the game requires so much futzing around to get it to feel "right," but after a few hours of messing with the preview build they sent us a while back, I got it fairly close. Not perfect by any means (you sort of sacrifice large movements for ridiculous precision in small ones), but it's hard to go back once you're able to see a dude, scope and blast him in like a second with a headshot nearly every time.

Thank you, this is something no one mentioned (or at least it's the first I personally read this), I'll see if it improves my feeling with it.

Played the demo and well, what should I say.. graphics and sounds are awesome. Other than that, it feels still the same like KZ2. I expect a run of the mill storyline, now with some extra added women (love?) plot. At least that's what I think after seeing the storyline trailer as soon as you finish the demo. The fact that the enemy can still eat up a whole magazine is plain annoying. Will get this at a bargain price from the UK for 15€ someday, but definitely not for launch. Sony tricked me once for buying KZ2 for launch even I knew how shitty the first installment was. Not again, Sony. Not again.

Top Bottom