• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is now using Unreal Engine 4

Trago

I'm hoping UE4 just becomes the standard for Square Enix, this could mean less development hell and more productivity.

duckroll

Is this really a problem with Luminous, or is it a problem with SE integrating the whole Luminous team with Tabata's team to work and optimize FFXV, thus leaving the KH3 team with no Luminous tech support?

If you are developing an in-house engine and can only provide support for one game. Yes, that's a huge problem. It means you're doing it wrong.

njean777

I see no problem with this, SE should just use 3rd party engines at this point and just focus on getting games out.

On the one hand I am excited because this means they can be done with the game faster. On the other hand though, I hope they could achieve the style and spirit of their luminous engine, as much as they can. I guess I am neutral to this news. In any case though, I can't wait for the game and I hope to hell that Nomura doesn't disappoint.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I couldn't care less about this, really. When an artist paints a picture, you don't care if they mixed their own paints or crafted their own paintbrush.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Huh.
Well, at least it means we'll get the game.

I think it's time for Square-Enix to stop with the engines.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This also explains why the Luminous team integrated into the FFXV team into a game specific engine (and cobbled their game engine together with Versus' old one) since it might be the only thing it's used in, at least currently.

Completely surprised me at first, but I now realize this means the game might actually come out in a reasonable amount of time.

Gbraga

Do they even let Kingdom Hearts games go digital? I know BBS wasn't Vita compatible because it never got a PSN release and KH1.5 HD never got one either.

They don't have a choice anymore. Every PS4 game is also released on PS4, right?

Nerokis

This is bad in terms of what it says about Luminous and SE's management in the past, but I think it's probably a basically decent sign for the future. SE's investment in engine development seems to have been incredibly counterproductive, and this way, the FFXV team squeezes some benefit from it while the KH3 team begins learning their way around an engine that's guaranteed to be productive for a long time to come.

stryke

Hope this means something for their PC support.

Writing custom engines per game(s) is a pretty outdated method now. It's one reason why Japan really lagged behind last gen compared to Western developers. See: the huge mess called Crystal Tools (FFXIII)

It's only outdated if you can't do it properly. There's still plenty of devs who make their own engine.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it's time for Square-Enix to stop with the engines.

And nothing of value was lost. The only reason for custom engines is to appeal to the pride of SE and their fanboys. It's not like they licensed their engine to others anyway. It was completely trivial that it was made in-house.

CamHostage

I hate that this happened as a tech-hound who has loved what Square had in the past done with its game engines, but just as a gamer, I'm happy to see Square not getting so wrapped up in technology development (again) that it cannot swerve and change course in order to get games out to the people. It's the end of an era in one way, but hopefully it'll be for the best in the continuation of a legacy.

benzy

If you are developing an in-house engine and can only provide support for one game. Yes, that's a huge problem. It means you're doing it wrong.

I just wanted to believe in this engine. It looked so promising.

Glee_kurt-cry.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm sure in this case Epic will also be bending over backwards to support any needs they have because this is really big for their Japanese expansion ambitions, much like Namco.

That and everyone else big pretty much made their own in house engines this time lol.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Square Enix should probably stop investing so much resources on developing their own engine. They've been messing up since 2006 and it isn't funny anymore. Also this switch probably means that they want to release the game quicker which is a good thing.

sn00zer

Thinking back now even if Luminous was a decent engine, there is no way it could compete with Unreal 4 shader controls. KH3 has been pushing intricate shaders since day 1.

Lucent

I really dislike the Unreal Engine. Mainly because a lot of the games that I've played that used it (Like gears of war) had slow loading of textures sometimes and it was annoying.

But somehow I think Lost Odyssey used it better than most non-Japanese devs did. Really crazy.

Just hope this doesn't have something like bad texture load times.

HeelPower

It's kind of weird for me to imagine the Unreal logo popping up before the title screen of a KH game.

But whatever gets development up and moving and progressing at a good pace.

Is 2016 optimistic at this rate?

You better completely forget that KH3 exists.

Think of this as sort of a VersusXIII kind of deal.It will probably release 2 years after FFXV,optimistically.

I just wanted to believe in this engine. It looked so promising.

Glee_kurt-cry.gif

They ARE using it for FFXV.But its specifically tied to that game for now.

Top Bottom