• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is now using Unreal Engine 4

neptunes

Replace 'SE' with 'basically any dev', really.

There's something to be said about being part of the arms race and not being beholden to another entity (licensing) as a matter of pride but at some point it all just boils down to reinventing the wheel.
But for what really? At what cost?

Never seemed worth it unless you're a first (or second) party studio With a pretty good safety net.

Shit, middleware engines were one the reasons the ps2 gen had so many releases.

Renderware was the shit

Namco is using UE4 for Tekken 7 and IIRC harada stated that traditionally they develop their in house engine for the Tekken series.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using UE4 in this case.They are just saving themselves a lot of hassle.

If using UE4 helps Japan get their act together, I'm all for it.

RE_Player

Is this good or bad?
Getting a lot of mixed reactions from you guys.
I don't think anyone is saying that Unreal 4 would impact the game negatively, it may actually ease development. The negative reaction is that they are ditching their in house engine despite dumping tons of resources on it.

StuBurns

Banned
A great move. I was hoping for something like this. The value of building these internal engines, that have been an obscene cash-pit and source of constant delays is just non-existent. As long as SE are only going to get a few 'AAA' consoles games out a generation, using middleware is the obvious solution.

Don't worry about using UE4:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/06/unreal-engine-4-5/?ncid=rss_truncated

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-45-preview-notes

The new update will add a new approach for Screen-space Subsurface Scattering using the technic presented a year ago by Jorge Jimenez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6R6N4Vy0nE&feature=player_embedded#!
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-shows-off-next-gen-visuals/1100-6406090/

http://www.iryoku.com/stare-into-the-future

It will also add Ray Traced Distance Field Soft Shadows for more accurate glitch-free shadows and now Mobile games can handle dynamic shadows for movable directional lights.

The best way to compare is to compare apples to apples:

When I see this in Thief (using the latest version of UE3 that is heavily modified and can be counted among the best versions):

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/50987989622074338/82FD42842D746D29C7452ADE7745C0D1939C8349/.

(Oh BTW, in Thief and in the same stance of the pic the sahdows are flickering when you look carefully when you are playing unlike what you will get with UE4 next update)

Then seeing this in UE4 (made by one person btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAwWuSAjKvs&list=UUjpFOf-YWpois6WVG6hqXNQ

You can really expect a bright future for UE4.

HeelPower

It sounds like you don't understand the economics and reality behind the benefits of in-house technology. No one can really look at what Square Enix has done with any of their in-house tech in the last decade and say it was a success. It can be a mitigation of failure, but not a success. It's absolutely a waste of money and resources.

Luminous tech that they developed over the years could benefit them in more ways than one.

Even If they can't officially use it as "luminous engine" ,the program may have helped their tech staff be better equipped for the realities of this generation of games.

I remember they said they devised various production pipelines.There could be other beneficial takeaways from this kind of research and development.

But,yeah,admittedly I am no expert and know little about these issues.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What platforms is it for?!

So far it's announced for PS4/XB1. PC doesn't seem implausible given the engine, but it's not announced.

I'm assuming it's not on mobile, but if they wanted to do a spin-off, they could also leverage the same toolchain.

Real talk: The age of developers making their own engines for games, especially Japanese developers, is probably on its death bed. Capcom may push Panta Rhei like they did MT Framework because the latter worked out well for them, but if Panta Rhei does not catch on (they're not exactly putting it at the front and center right now), expect them to jump to the UE4 or Cryengine ships.

Hell, remember when Sega created an engine with Sonic Unleashed with the specific, stated intention of wanting developers to license it out and nobody ever did? That was a huge waste of time and resources for something most people could have seen coming a mile away.

Japanese developers were caught with their pants down last generation because they weren't on the UE3 train, for better or worse. They know this. The decision to just dump your engine and go with a known quantity is getting easier and easier to make as time goes by.

Strike

What a joke. On the other hand, maybe that means they might start having reasonable development cycles now.

Squire

Banned
MS using it for a variety of projects. D4, Fable Legends, Gears, and Scalebound off the top of my head. Halo, Forza, and Rare tech might be their only proprietary engines at this point.

There's that, but I was actually thinking of how they're handling the new UT and how cheaply the engine is being offered to indies and college students. I could get UE4, if I wanted it.

Aselith

Guess I'll have to be the one then.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about game engines (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in programming where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on game engines, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the game engine enthusiast public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase KH3 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel KH3 for UE4 or you can kiss your business GOODBYE.

I feel like... history is repeating on multiple levels.

Final Fantasy Type 0 is coming soon.

A internal engine struggling to make the next gen leap

A directionless final fantasy in development hell and years from release that seems to be stripping ideas out in hopes of making it a shippable game.

Kingdom Hearts 3 has been in pre production for years at some dark corner of SE.

If you told me all this was information given out at a Square Enix interview at TGS 2007 I would believe you.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is this good or bad?

Its bad because SE is fucking stupid with their development chain where they cant get their engines working for shit. Its good because UE4 is a great engine and will save a lot of time money and development cost in the future if they continue with it.

The Japs should have leaped wholesale on middleware last gen, maybe then they would be in a better position development wise in console land.

I can't even imagine if Namco Bandai puts Tales on UE4. HOLY SHIT. No more beholden to crappy assets and way faster dev times with that particular brand of anime art style? Jesus...

Its bad because SE is fucking stupid with their development chain where they cant get their engines working for shit. Its good because UE4 is a great engine and will save a lot of time money and development cost in the future if they continue with it.

The Japs should have leaped wholesale on middleware last gen, maybe then they would be in a better position development wise in console land.

I can't even imagine if Namco Bandai puts Tales on UE4. HOLY SHIT. No more beholden to crappy assets and way faster dev times with that particular brand of anime art style? Jesus...

Tales is always going to be budget-limited. An engine change isn't going to fix that.

Epic games must really own the industry outside of the indies who use Unity and the few studios left who still use their own engines...

Mortemis

Banned
Is this good or bad?

I don't see how this can be bad news for KH3. From Tabata's comments, the luminous team is solely focusing on FFXV. Osaka has only been making handheld games, they probably need all the help they can get and if everyone is over helping XV then they got nothing.

They say they're working closely with epic and people here are saying this is a big deal for epic so I think they'll find all the help they need now.

Now i wonder if square will bother to do another in house engine for more of their games. I also wonder if Tabata will keep the luminous team incorporated with his team for whatever projects he does after XV.

History repeating itself is pretty funny I gotta say :p

UrbanRats

IckyDecimalArrowana.gif

I mean, UE4 is great and all but... this is so pathetic.

kadotsu

Banned
Epic games must really own the industry outside of the indies who use Unity and the few studios left who still use their own engines...

Don't Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, Activision and R* all use their own engines now. That's probably most of the core industry revenue-wise.

DJIzana

It's good news for KH3, it's bad news for the outlook on S-E's R&D.

Honestly, that's the thing. I think it's a good thing for game companies. Spend the extra money that could have been used developing a custom engine to make the game outright better. I'd love to see more companies use existing engines rather than create their own.

I understand each game likes to create their own elements or focus on different technical aspects in games but things like Cry Engine or UE4 or Unity... can do a lot of that stuff already now. Lighting, hair, shadows, even destruction and that kind of thing. It's already there.

stryke

My question is how good was the documentation for Japanese developers for the majority of the last gen cycle?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Final Fantasy Type 0 is coming soon.

A internal engine struggling to make the next gen leap

A directionless final fantasy in development hell and years from release that seems to be stripping ideas out in hopes of making it a shippable game.

Kingdom Hearts 3 has been in pre production for years at some dark corner of SE.

If you told me all this was information given out at a Square Enix interview at TGS 2007 I would believe you.

Well when you spell it out like that...
I'm pretty sad about Luminous though. It was a great idea but in practice I guess it didn't pan out...
The bright future promised in 2012 has come to an end for SE.

Didn't Square wasted our time showing TWICE that Agni's Philosophy tech demo of their Luminous engine? They even chose to show it that second time in its entirely during the PS4 Reveal event!

What a waste of resources. Didn't FFXIII's biggest reason of its insane development cycle was struggling with their own White engine? I mean I guess I'm happy KH3 is on UE4. This can only mean it's gonna be developed faster, right?

If there is one big videogame company with a horrible lack of direction its Square Enix.

Hopefully UE4 is up to the task.

thematic

I don't understand

FFXV gameplay is similar to KH series, can't they just modify FFXV Luminous engine for KH3??

LOL at Agni's Philosophy. so much hype and in the end just another Crystal Tool. FFXV-2 incoming!!

koutoru

I wouldn't be surprised to see the FFXV sequels using the same engine FFXV is now.
It's just that those will probably be the only games implementing Luminous at all.

LOL at Agni's Philosophy. so much hype and in the end just another Crystal Tool. FFXV-2 incoming!!

From a technical standpoint I would be interested to see how long it takes them to get that demo up and running on UE4.
Hint: it probably wouldn't take near as long on luminous.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For some reason I was under the assumption that use of the engine had simmered down, but I can see how it'd pick up again.

How many major franchises use UE still? Seems like most pubs/devs opt for proprietary engines to cut costs in the long run.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tales is always going to be budget-limited. An engine change isn't going to fix that.

True, but the fact of the matter is, UE4's development chain makes it much easier to create competent visuals from nothing and with much less effort than UE3 or many other older engines. For many things its simply slide and click.

So even if Tales team has a small budget, what they can do with that budget will be much more once they are not limited by their tools.

Its the same with something like the Atelier devs or even indies in general.

Well when you spell it out like that...
I'm pretty sad about Luminous though. It was a great idea but in practice I guess it didn't pan out...
The bright future promised in 2012 has come to an end for SE.

Poor Hashimoto.

At least his legacy will live on in FF XIV ARR.

You know what, if it's cheaper for them and it runs well, I don't care at all. Just let me play this game. Making new engines for big games isn't sustainable anyway.

Banned
I think Sega might be a good target for when they go next-gen only. Their tech is serviceable, but I think they have far less internal pride in it than Capcom.

Yes, Epic had to refocus heavily on smaller developers and Japan since most independent Western devs went bankrupt and they only ever had two Western publishers as notable support (Take-Two and Warner).
Hmmm, 1080p60 Sonic game and Vanquish 2 with UE4? Awww yeah!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
soooo gears of war = kingdom hearts?

serious..i think the unreal engine has a specific kind of look that you can't just remove. and i personally do not like it.

Top Bottom