• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2015 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monumma

I am sure this bunt to advance the runner to third will do all the difference.

Let's prepare for the squeeze.

edit: this AB. wow. 11 pitches.

Monumma

Suddenly eva.

edit: Another run.
And another.
And another.
And 2 more.

Pitching change, but he should be a Ozaki, so he's still not the guy. Maybe he is injuried.

Monumma

I was writing something but double play. It has to feel like a KO for Naruto.

edit: Another DP.

Why would they put him in only for the last out?

Game over, 30 minutes until the last one. It could very easily end up in a blowout, let's see if Kofu does the miracle.

Beckx

Really glad that Hiroshima Shingyo advanced. I liked how they played in the regionals and they're a pretty easy team to get behind. My phone cut out in the 8th inning so I didn't see how they ended the game. Thought they played really well. I need to check the brackets but I think they could get Waseda Jitsugyo or Tsuruga Kehi next unfortunately.

I missed the rest of the games. Kinda shocked that Shizouka is out after going so deep in Senbatsu.

Anyway it's nice to see so many good games in the early days, only the one real blow out.

I'll post the YouTube digests in a bit. Edit: or not. Looks like that channel doesn't have them today.

I added a section to the OP on how Japanese baseball differs from US (bunting, mindset, etc.).

Beckx

Time to get hyped for tonight!

4DByYDp.jpg

Kotaro Kiyomiya (1B Waseda Jitsugyo, first year) makes his Koshien debut in the first game.

Beckx

Here we go!

Should be a great game - Imbari Nishi v Waseda Jitsugyo.

Imbari Nishi leads off.

oh man, tonight is the first night I've been able to watch on a browser instead of mobile...site is sooooo much better than Senbatsu. Multiple cameras, are you kidding me?

Beckx

so which teams to watch out for today?

Waseda Jitsugyo in the first game (see all my recent posts about Kiyomiya)

Tsuruga Kehi (Senbatsu champs) in the second game - pitcher Hiranuma is one of the most dominant high school pitchers in Japan right now and he can hit the shit out of the ball. Yamamoto and Matsumoto can hit too. They're my favorites to win it all and I love watching this team.

Osaka Kaisei Gakuen in the third game - they knocked off Osaka Toin and other strong teams in the Osaka regional. Excited to see them because they are an unknown who murdered giants.

---------------

Edit: Kiyomiya pops up but Waseda Jitsugyo still gets it done, up 2-0 already. Imbari Nishi isn't bad but they are going to be put to it this game.

Monumma

Just woke up, sadly i missed Kiyomiya 's first AB. Seeing him at first this young man is way too big to be 16, damn.

Beckx

Just woke up, sadly i missed Kiyomiya 's first AB. Seeing him at first this young man is way too big to be 16, damn.

He's a big dude haha. Hiranuma isn't small either. If they play we'll get a chance to compare how they look.

Edit: Ow, HBP, he would have had a hitting count next too

Beckx

Imbari needs to get out of this pinch or this game is going to get out of control real fast. Kantoku knows it and we've already had a pitching change.

Waseda Jitsugyo can score runs in huge bunches. 8 run in the 8th in the regional final.

Monumma

He's a big dude haha. Hiranuma isn't small either. If they play we'll get a chance to compare how they look.

And he has a 2nd year that's 10cm higher than him in the bullpen, according to yakyubaka. Tsuruga Kehi is just stacked. He didn't pitch in the spring, though, and they'll probably ride Hiranuma again.

It's good to see the Koshien full for a morning game in the first round, btw, it doesn't always happen. The hype is real.

Bases are full. But the inning is over.

Beckx

Relief pitches out of manrui pinch and Imbari keeps it from going sideways.

And he has a 2nd year that's 10cm higher than him in the bullpen, according to yakyubaka, Tsuruga Kehi is just stacked. He didn't pitch in the spring, though, and they'll probably ride Hiranuma again.

It's good to see the Koshien full for a morning game in the first round, btw, it doesn't always happen. The hype is real.

Bases are full. But the inning is over.

I wonder how Kiyomiya deals with the pressure. He's in the national press and it's no surprise stands are full...I wonder how many people are watching the stream now?

Hiranuma was such a beast in Senbatsu. His duel with Sena Satou was the best. (Well, blowing out Osaka Toin was the best but you know.)

That's the best thing to me about best Japanese baseball. You'll see the sidearm, you'll see the submarine, you'll see the fork, the splitter and the gyroball.

Beckx

so can there be any punishment for hitting the batter with your pitch?

If the ump thinks it's a dangerous pitch you can be thrown out

The federation has a discipline committee for serious issues

-------------

haha, announcers want Kiyomiya to hit a blast so bad they gave that routine flyball the exciting call.

For those of you wanting to play at home: The Mikey "F-Bomb" Fassbender Koshien Official-Time Drinking Game!

1 Drink -
- If the batter bunts
- If the dude on first does a superhuman split for the out
- If the commentators say "So, desu ne?"

2 Drinks -
- A successful bunt resulting in a steal
- Horrible outfielding followed by a massive gain for the at-bat team
- If the band plays "Yankee Doodle"

3 Drinks -
- A homerun
- Double play
- If the batter takes one for the team

Finish whatever you have on you -
- Mercy rule
- If the catcher drops the ball, resulting in a run
- If one of the players starts to cry before it's all over

If the ump thinks it's a dangerous pitch you can be thrown out

The federation has a discipline committee for serious issues

-------------

haha, announcers want Kiyomiya to hit a blast so bad they gave that routine flyball the exciting call.
Yeah that was hilarious, and then the screen pan to a shallow fly ball.

Monumma

BTW pitchers are expected to tip their cap and apologize and they will not be charged for it. They won't be charged either way, though.

Rip Fassbender.

Monumma

tell that to Kyuji Fujikawa tho

Was he charged during high school? I don't know the story, what happened?

edit: was looking on wiki for the fact and i found this:

Fujikawa's rookie season was uneventful, his perhaps most humorous moment of 1999 occurring during Spring Training when he was forced to miss part of the team's workouts to attend remedial classes at his high school because his grades had been so poor.

It is just beautiful.

Beckx

Was he charged during high school? I don't know the story, what happened?

Nah, it was just the crazy vid from today where a pitch got away from him and went right at the guy's head at 90+. Tossed from his first start in the Independent league on the first batter. It's hard to imagine a Koshien situation where a guy gets tossed.

Beckx

Imabari with a big chance here

...that ends in a double play

--------------

Waseda Jitsugyo SS Kaneko has huuuuuuuge range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom