• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krazy Kristians set to convert trick-or-treaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
Here's the deal.

If any one of you bastards walked your kids up to a house on Halloween and some guy in a turban opened the door and handed your kid a little pamphlet of his beliefs, how long do you think that would last?

Yeah, it IS the same thing. If you want to **** up an otherwise harmless holiday by giving kids unwanted and unwelcome messages about your faith, so be it, but don't be surprised when people object.

And I'm a Christian and I dont do that shit. I keep my faith to myself.

Someone please answer this.

unifin

PantherLotus said:

I'd be completely okay with it - that guy has as much a right to preach his faith as I do, as long as it's not intimidating or playing on fear (see last posted comic - that's wrong).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
@ kryptonian. Exactly. Most of these Bible thumpers would go to war if Muslims were in there neighborhood doing the same ****ing thing. Hypocrisy.

White Man

unifin said:
I'd be completely okay with it - that guy has as much a right to preach his faith as I do, as long as it's not intimidating or playing on fear (see last posted comic - that's wrong).

But Christian tracts that play on fear (ie. all of them) are fine?

unifin

PantherLotus said:
Exactly. Most of these Bible thumpers would go to war if Muslims were in there neighborhood doing the same ****ing thing. Hypocrisy.

Yes, and that is hypocritical, but I (and many Christians) are hardly like that.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
unifin said:
I'd be completely okay with it - that guy has as much a right to preach his faith as I do, as long as it's not intimidating or playing on fear.

So you object to PhoenixDark's tract as well?

1032_10.gif

She totally needs to be nerfed.

Goreomedy said:
Yes, and it's horrible that you'd drop that into a child's candy bag.

If it is your intention to witness to me, the adult, then talk to me. Don't use a child's curiosity as a catalyst for that type of discussion when we dump the candy out on the kitchen table.

And when the candy is dumped on the counter, the kids jump into a deep discussion of religious matters. Come on.

PantherLotus said:

Personally I think that's a great idea, and I'd love to see more Muslims do it. There are a lot of misconceptions about Islam, and Halloween would be an ideal opening to reach out and present information to a large group of people. In this case it wouldn't be about "saving" people - as a Christian tract would be - instead it would be along the lines of "I actually don't want to blow your family up, and my religion doesn't teach me to act like that..."

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
civilstrife said:
The problem I have with Christianity (I'm Jewish) is that while it promotes kindness unto your fellow man and general goodness as judaism does, it does so while pointing a gun at your head the entire time. What meaning does being a good person have if you do it only in fear of not being "saved"?

The difference between a Jew and a Christian is that, Jews don't go to people, scare the living shit out of them, and replace some deity as a dependent solution to their problems.
That's why, Jews>Christians
:)

unifin

White Man said:
But Christian tracts that play on fear (ie. all of them) are fine?

No, they're not, and, as a Christian, I feel obligated to inform you that many, MANY Christians view faith by fear as utterly wrong. The desire to "go to heaven" should be motivated by a love for God and humanity, not fear of hell.

EDIT: I'm going to sleep - i'll answer in the morning.

PantherLotus said:
@ kryptonian. Exactly. Most of these Bible thumpers would go to war if Muslims were in there neighborhood doing the same ****ing thing. Hypocrisy.

No they wouldn't. Why would they care - or even know - considering their kids wouldn't be tricker treating in the first place?:lol

Verano said:
The difference between a Jew and a Christian is that, Jews don't go to people, scare the living shit out of them, and replace some deity as a dependent solution to their problems.
That's why, Jews>Christians
Not according to Jesus.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PhoenixDark said:
And when the candy is dumped on the counter, the kids jump into a deep discussion of religious matters. Come on.

Personally I think that's a great idea, and I'd love to see more Muslims do it. There are a lot of misconceptions about Islam, and Halloween would be an ideal opening to reach out and present information to a large group of people. In this case it wouldn't be about "saving" people - as a Christian tract would be - instead it would be along the lines of "I actually don't want to blow your family up, and my religion doesn't teach me to act like that..."

I like this idea. "Hey, I respect you for what you are, but here is something about me that you didnt know."

Yeah--that's cool because that kind of communication is based on mutual respect. Dropping sermons on a kid expecting candy is hardly a sign of respect. If anything, your message will be rejected with more veracity than before.

Verano

unifin said:
Yes, and that is hypocritical, but I (and many Christians) are hardly like that.

Depends if they take christianity into moderation or to the nipples (Fundamentalists).

White Man said:
I wish I could be a jew. I tried to get Willco to marry me with a "Bobby has two dads" tract that I got at Homoween last year, but the TRACT DID NOTHING!!!!!

It's for Wilco's parents! Stand down, soldier!

Homoween <giggle>

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PhoenixDark said:
No they wouldn't. Why would they care - or even know - considering their kids wouldn't be tricker treating in the first place?:lol

You are good with numbers and you dress like a gentleman. And you have outwitted me.

:lol

Verano

White Man said:
I wish I could be a jew. I tried to get Willco to marry me with a "Bobby has two dads" tract that I got at Homoween last year, but the TRACT DID NOTHING!!!!!

Who wouldn't want to be a jew (Reconstructionist/reformist, preferably)!?
There's the Purim, Passover, Chanukah, etc...

I wish I was jewish, but there's certain aspects of the Torah and Jewish laws which I disagree with.

PantherLotus said:
I like this idea. "Hey, I respect you for what you are, but here is something about me that you didnt know."

Yeah--that's cool because that kind of communication is based on mutual respect. Dropping sermons on a kid expecting candy is hardly a sign of respect. If anything, your message will be rejected with more veracity than before.

Hey, it's two for one. The kid gets a bunch of candy and a tract, which he'll pass along to his parents most likely. If they aren't into it, that's that. In the end no harm is done.

CajoleJuice said:
Not according to Jesus.

I see what you did there:lol

White Man

PhoenixDark said:
Hey, it's two for one. The kid gets a bunch of candy and a tract, which he'll pass along to his parents most likely. If they aren't into it, that's that. In the end no harm is done.

I can't believe you don't see why people find this offensive and/or extremely corny and lame.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
White Man said:
I can't believe you don't see why people find this offensive and/or extremely corny and lame.

Perhaps he'll use the "Come on!" defense again. No one can argue with that.

White Man said:

Oh, I see why, and I respect that belief. If we didn't respect that belief we wouldn't give out candy to those who refused the tracts lol.

Goreomedy said:
Perhaps he'll use the "Come on!" defense again. No one can argue with that.

There you go again!

Gob and Reagan: Great Debate Talking Points

Koomaster

Meh, what's the big deal? A tract isn't going to harm the kid, at worst they just toss it once they get home. And if by some crazy miracle it does "convert" them or they are interested in learning more, what's the harm? A kid becoming more religious isn't going to be negative on them. It's not like someone is giving out tracts on all the attractive drugs you can get hooked on. :lol

So anyway, it's whoever's right to give out religious tracts on Halloween if they want to. It's not deceiving anyone nor evil, and it's not gonna ruin some kid's halloween. They are getting tons of candy for free all night long; so getting a few religious tracts isn't going to traumatize them. You guys are really making a big deal outta nothing.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
PhoenixDark said:
I want to know how you think your parents would have reacted had you been given one of these "Bobby has two dads" tracts brought up in the thread. Of course, it wouldn't have made you anymore sex-crazed than you already are (that's impossible), but they probably would not have liked it, no?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It's their property, they can do whatever they want. They're not breaking the law, or forcing anyone to do anything.

Well at least the guy isn't kidding himself into thinking Christians can celebrate Hallowe'en with a clean conscience. It's pretty much a commercialized pagan abomination. It's all in good fun though.

Ford Prefect said:
I want to know how you think your parents would have reacted had you been given one of these "Bobby has two dads" tracts brought up in the thread. Of course, it wouldn't have made you anymore sex-crazed than you already are (that's impossible), but they probably would not have liked it, no?

I'm not against gay marriage, and I doubt my parents would care too much; they would most likely disagree with the book, but they aren't so close minded that they'd throw the book away without reading it. My dad has many books on subjects he doesn't agree with, yet he still reads them and researches them.

And once again, if I had said we wouldn't accept the book, I would be labeld close minded correct? I think the same applies to people in this thread who would just throw the tract away without a glance

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Trying to convert people who celebrate Halloween is just as bad as trying to convert people who celebrate Ramadan or Yom Kippur. :)

White Man

Fatghost said:
Trying to convert people who celebrate Halloween is just as bad as trying to convert people who celebrate Ramadan or Yom Kippur. :)

Yeah, the Christian freaks should stick to what they're good at: Ritualistically eating their religion's founder on a regular basis.

darscot

My son got some propaganda in his loot bag last year. Some crap about getting fed to the lions and Jesus. I ask my wife which house it was was and went back and egged it. My wife was pissed she didn't think it was the right way for a 33 year old man to deal with things. I told her she was lucky I didn't let my son come if he was older we would have done it together. I was pissed my son was really freaked out by it.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
PhoenixDark said:
And once again, if I had said we wouldn't accept the book, I would be labeld close minded correct? I think the same applies to people in this thread who would just throw the tract away without a glance
That wasn't my point. The average Kristian parents (and I'm doubting that your parents would be as fine with it as you're claiming) don't want their kids reading a book that promotes the acceptance of homosexuality. We just had that Bully thread where some Jesus-loving dad doesn't want his kids ever playing the game because of the gay-kissing, because he thinks his kids are and will be (as long as they're still children) too young to, I don't know, play it without turning gay.

The point is, most people in this thread find the fact that people are handing out religious propaganda to children, like your parents are doing, just as offensive as the average Krazy Kristian parent would find somebody giving their kids evil-sodomite propaganda.

ronito

Ford Prefect said:
That wasn't my point. The average Kristian parents (and I'm doubting that your parents would be as fine with it as you're claiming) don't want their kids reading a book that promotes the acceptance of homosexuality. We just had that Bully thread where some Jesus-loving dad doesn't want his kids ever playing the game because of the gay-kissing, because he thinks his kids are and will be (as long as they're still children) too young to, I don't know, play it without turning gay.

The point is, most people in this thread find the fact that people are handing out religious propaganda to children, like your parents are doing, just as offensive as the average Krazy Kristian parent would find somebody giving their kids evil-sodomite propaganda.
That's the whole point. I know several Muslim friends that would be really put off in Christians in using their kids holiday as a chance to tract. Like I said in the Chuck Norris thread, there is a time and place (or as the bible would say to everything there is a season) Halloween is neither the time or the place. Personally as a christian I sorta find it profaning to hand out things talking about Jesus and what not like cheap candy.

Another huge thing that bugs me about this is the hypocrisy. Nearly everyone that would a thing like this would be up in arms if I gave their kids a pamphlet on the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Mohammed, the DNC, or Bobby's two dads. There'd be lawsuits like crazy. Wasn't it Jesus that said, "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."? I'll give you that there would be a few exceptions to this rule. But very, very few.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
ronito said:
That's the whole point. I know several Muslim friends that would be really put off in Christians in using their kids holiday as a chance to tract. Like I said in the Chuck Norris thread, there is a time and place (or as the bible would say to everything there is a season) Halloween is neither the time or the place. Personally as a christian I sorta find it profaning to hand out things talking about Jesus and what not like cheap candy.

Another huge thing that bugs me about this is the hypocrisy. Nearly everyone that would a thing like this would be up in arms if I gave their kids a pamphlet on the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Mohammed, the DNC, or Bobby's two dads. There'd be lawsuits like crazy. Wasn't it Jesus that said, "Do unto others as you would have done unto you."? I'll give you that there would be a few exceptions to this rule. But very, very few.
Who's side are you on, Kristian???

Ford Prefect said:

They'd take the information; it certainly wouldn't be the first time they'd recieved that kind of material (they live in Michigan). Obviously they wouldn't agree with material on gay marriage.

I know many families who pass out tracts on Halloween in the Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor (IE, the most liberal areas of Michigan) area and not one person has had a problem yet; no parent has refused the tract or started an argument. If someone finds it offensive, they can politely refuse the tract, and we'd be perfectly fine with that.

ronito said:

Show me some lawsuits then. As I've said, I have seen Muslim families pass out similar material, albiet in comicbook form.

NME

krypt0nian said:
The same thing that would happen if I handed out my "Bobby has Two Dads" books...except with more torches and pitchforks outside my house.

Now that's how you celebrate Halloween~!

ronito

PhoenixDark said:
Show me some lawsuits then. As I've said, I have seen Muslim families pass out similar material, albiet in comicbook form.
So I'm supposed to be a paralegal? Just wait. If there isn't one now. There will be. All it has to do is get to the south.

I'll tell you what. You send 10 christians to Kryptonian's house and have him give out Daddy's Roommate, we'll see how they take to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom