• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krazy Kristians set to convert trick-or-treaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
ronito said:
So I'm supposed to be a paralegal? Just wait. If there isn't one now. There will be. All it has to do is get to the south.

I'll tell you what. You send 10 christians to Kryptonian's house and have him give out Daddy's Roommate, we'll see how they take to it?

No, but you should be able to reference some story, considering Christians aren't the only ones who give out materials on Halloween.

Christians wouldn't be tricker treating in the first place; or, certainly not the kind of Christians you're hinting at (fundies).:lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
There was a house like this in my neighborhood. My friends and I would purposely chew gum before ringing their doorbell just so we could spit it out in their pamphlets. We always acted like they were doing us a favor.

"Thanks sir! My gum had lost its flavor!"

After a few years of this they stopped giving out candy but still handed out their pamphlets. We were the only kids in the neighborhood who would still visit that house after that. Eventually I think they just gave up because they stopped answering the door.

I think the scary part is the people who believe that haloween is a pagan holiday that must be abolished, or countered with christian beliefs.

1) Why cant pagans have their own beleifs?
2) Why must people be converted?

When I was a kid, there was a house in the neighbourhood that didnt give out candy. They simply turned off the porch light and closed the curtains out in front. Nobody bothered them. Thats how you deal with something you dont like.

I have most of my lights off, and I'm hoping no one will come over and look in the front door window, from which I could be seen watching TV (OMG NBA IS BACK BABY)

Just called my parents and my brother said he's passing out stuff; I might go over there and steal their candy:lol

HolyStar

Banned
Fusebox said:
Hypothetically Phoenix, how would your parents have reacted if you came home with a bunch of tracts (if the term is interchangeable) from different religions after a T'n'T session? What if your mum came in and found you gnawing on a redskin in one hand and reading the word of Mohammed the Prophet of Islam with your other hand?

I guess what I'm trying to say is if someone gave my kid spam mail for their religion of choice while he was out scabbing lollies I'd be pissed.

How is it spam the kids are coming to his property. They are getting goods for free they don't do anything but walk and bother people asking for free stuff. Parents have no right to complain if they get tracts from a house or two.

wave dial

Completely unable to understand satire
PhoenixDark said:
No, but you should be able to reference some story, considering Christians aren't the only ones who give out materials on Halloween.

Christians wouldn't be tricker treating in the first place; or, certainly not the kind of Christians you're hinting at (fundies).:lol
christians have their own trick or treat events

Fusebox

Banned
HolyStar said:
Parents have no right to complain if they get tracts from a house or two.

Yeah, they do.

Phoenixs tract wasn't too fire and brimstone although it does raise the concept of hell which is NOT a guilt trip that little children need at their age, but frankly parents do have the right to complain about anything that goes into that bag other than candy, because candy is all people are expecting.

White Man said:
Tricking kids into reading about your own beliefs.

Kids are bombarded with advertisements every day that are little more than tricks to get them to buy products.

Are you suggesting we ban advertisements as well?

Well... I suppose not, I guess the problem here is big bad religion that's oh so baaad!!!

I mean tracts are probably less deceptive than your common advertisement. Do you really think that kids can't think for themselves and will be automatically swayed by some cartoonish tract that they read?

Children from an early age are bombarded with ads, messages, etc. that want them to think one way or another - why shouldn't religion be allowed to get a piece of the pie so to speak.

White Man

Sirpopopop said:
Kids are bombarded with advertisements every day that are little more than tricks to get them to buy products.

Well... I suppose not, I guess the problem here is big bad religion that's oh so baaad!!!

Advertisements are generally not scary and they don't tell you that you will go to hell if you fail to purchase their product.

White Man said:
Advertisements are generally not scary and they don't tell you that you will go to hell if you fail to purchase their product.

Tell that to the kids who get made fun of for not wearing Nike's when they go to school. It's probably worse than going to "hell," in their eyes.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
White Man said:
Yeah, the Christian freaks should stick to what they're good at: Ritualistically eating their religion's founder on a regular basis.

Point of order: Jesus is not the founder of Christianity. The Apostle Paul is the founder of Christianity. Jesus was a jew.

White Man

Sirpopopop said:
Tell that to the kids who get made fun of for not wearing Nike's when they go to school. It's probably worse than going to "hell," in their eyes.

Well I am glad Nike is willing to step up and fill the adolescent fear gap. Kids shouldn't be worrying about lame adult things like hell, they should worry about jockeying in position for best in their peer group, using glorious, glorious capitalism.

Point of order: Jesus is not the founder of Christianity. The Apostle Paul is the founder of Christianity. Jesus was a jew.

Ya, founder was the wrong word. Pardon my error.

White Man, what are your thoughts on the scare tactics used in much of the sex education in US schools? The whole STD picture show; at least, that's what I was shown in school

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
PhoenixDark said:
White Man, what are your thoughts on the scare tactics used in much of the sex education in US schools? The whole STD picture show; at least, that's what I was shown in school

What's the scare exactly? STDs are a legitimate concern that has statistical evidence.

Where are your stats on how often people go to Hell?

White Man

PhoenixDark said:

I think sex education classes are busted to begin with, just going off of my own experiences and reading the odd news story about focusing on abstinence and what not. I don't feel qualified to say how I think sex education should be taught since I have no educational experience and approaching such a touchy subject would be problematic for freakin' professors put in the position of designing a high school sex ed class.

I think focusing on abstinence is a very well waste of time, though.

Knowing what STD numbers looked like a few years ago (another topic I don't bother staying to date on), common sense says that STDs should be a rather large focal point. Scare tactics suck though. Don't treat adolescents like they're complete children; make them understand with facts rather than trying to put tha' fear in 'em.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
HolyStar said:
Parents have no right to complain if they get tracts from a house or two.
If I were a father I'd rather my zealot neighbors not participate than attempt to brainwash my children thanks. I don't push my beliefs on anybody else and I don't think it is too much to ask that the favor be returned.

Bezz

Banned
Oh man, how I hate these crazy christians.

Save your money and stop giving me your damn lies on a paper with a candy, I JUST WANT CANDY!!!.

I took my little brother trick or treating and I got like 30 papers about "the afterlife". I dont want my bro to read that crap, and I dont want to read it. Halloween is a time for kids to have fun and eat a crapload of candy, not to be brainwashed by all that religious propaganda.

If you want to be Christian, great! Just dont ruin innocent minds that just want to have fun

sick people

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
unifin said:
It would be Peter, wouldn't it?
It would be Rome. Peter and Paul and the rest of the apostles were only teaching the way of salvation through Jesus Christ while still counting themselves as Jews, as well as any Gentile that came to Jesus (see Romans 2 and 11). It was a disagreement among Jews about who the Messiah was and what exactly being a Jew was all about. It was Rome that classified it as a new religion and formalized it into a structure distinct from Judaism, which took on a new form itself after the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D.

ronito

Sirpopopop said:

I mean tracts are probably less deceptive than your common advertisement. Do you really think that kids can't think for themselves and will be automatically swayed by some cartoonish tract that they read?

Children from an early age are bombarded with ads, messages, etc. that want them to think one way or another - why shouldn't religion be allowed to get a piece of the pie so to speak.
Ah, but if someone was advertising their business while giving out candy people would be unhappy about that too. This isn't about being anti-religion, it's freaking halloween let it be what it is. There's a time and a place for tracting, nothing wrong with that. Further a belief in God shouldn't be advertised out like some whore in Las Vegas.

Wait, wait, wait...not only do they religiously prey on little kids, they do it right in front of their parents? This is common? WTF?

Enron

Banned
Again: People love to hate Christians. This thread and this board (which proves it time and again, actually) once again confirms this.

If you dont want the tract, just throw it away. Or dont take it. It's as simple as that, really.
The whole point of Christianity is to share whatever connection you have with God with others so that they might discover it to (or something to that effect). No one's forcing anything on you. Don't want the tract/bible/5 minute conversation, just smile politely and say "no thanks". Is that so hard?

Enron

Banned
Bezz said:

Save your money and stop giving me your damn lies on a paper with a candy, I JUST WANT CANDY!!!.

I took my little brother trick or treating and I got like 30 papers about "the afterlife". I dont want my bro to read that crap, and I dont want to read it. Halloween is a time for kids to have fun and eat a crapload of candy, not to be brainwashed by all that religious propaganda.

If you want to be Christian, great! Just dont ruin innocent minds that just want to have fun

sick people

What's sicker, someone handing out a tract that you can not read or THROW AWAY with some candy, or someone that cries about how much he 'hates' these people for doing this.

Bezz said:

sick people

I love the irony. Brainwashed by religious propaganda? But I guess it's ok to become a commercial drone, being abused by the economical instituitions, foisting useless "holidays" in the guise of fun. All in order to keep the consumer spending at maximum each month. I'd rather not subscribe blindly to either.

ronito

Enron said:
Oh I don't know I'm all liberal and think that when tracting a belief in God perhaps it should come with a sincere discussion that befits the sacredness of the personal belief and reverence for God and not some cheap floozy thing. I'm all crazy like that, you know giving the my personal beliefs some respect.

Enron said:
Again: People love to hate Christians. This thread and this board (which proves it time and again, actually) once again confirms this.

If you dont want the tract, just throw it away. Or dont take it. It's as simple as that, really.
The whole point of Christianity is to share whatever connection you have with God with others so that they might discover it to (or something to that effect). No one's forcing anything on you. Don't want the tract/bible/5 minute conversation, just smile politely and say "no thanks". Is that so hard?

I tend to agree. No one is being forced to do anything here, and it's my right to express my faith in just about any way I wish, as long as it's through legal means (IE no mailbox spamming). Handing out tracts is not a one-sided, forced exchanged. If someone doesn't want the tract, they can say so and it won't be a big deal. Who cares, you just move on.

There's nothing cheap about giving out tracts, or leaving them out in public places, or however they're given out as long as it's done respectfully. If you're leaving them out in public for instance, you shouldn't just flood the entire area with tracts. Putting a one on a seat or too, or in a magazine rack, is perfectly fine. And if you're giving them out to people, you shouldn't force anyone to take them. The idea of "choice" is a key principle to Christianity, and not giving that option to someone would be wrong.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Who cares about the fact that it's Christians handing this shit out, they just happen to be the most prolific. Nobody should be doing it period.

so this is why we didn't have many T-n-T's last night. I went out with my son and maybe 1/3 of the neighborhood was actually handing out candy, and only 5 or so houses were actually decorated. I only saw 10 pumpkins total, it was sad.

eXxy said:
Who cares about the fact that it's Christians handing this shit out, they just happen to be the most prolific. Nobody should be doing it period.
Bingo. Personally I find it more offensive (too many tracts try to 'scare' kids into Christianity), but anything like this is equally shit. There is a fundamental difference between someone for example handing some literature to an adult in a parking lot (still ****ing annoying), and someone handing shit out to children. Period.

Dilbert

AzureRonin said:
freedom of speech ftl
The issue is not whether someone has the RIGHT to talk about their beliefs. The issue is whether it's tacky as hell to push their beliefs onto other people without provocation.

Take religion out of the discussion for a moment. If the guy sitting next to you on the bus -- or in line in a store, or in the doctor's waiting room, or wherever -- starts telling you about how being a vegetarian is the only way to live a moral healthy life, or how everyone ought to play videogames since interactive entertainment is far better for you than passively watching TV, or how every young person should serve in the military before going to college, how would you feel? Regardless of whether or not you think those beliefs have merit, they have intruded upon your social space. I'm sorry, but that's just rude.

The bottom line is that when people go trick or treating, they expect candy from a house with the light on, or expect nothing from houses without lights on. Injecting religion -- or tax advice, or whatever -- into that situation is a breach of social convention.

Enron

Banned
ronito said:
Oh I don't know I'm all liberal and think that when tracting a belief in God perhaps it should come with a sincere discussion that befits the sacredness of the personal belief and reverence for God and not some cheap floozy thing. I'm all crazy like that, you know giving the my personal beliefs some respect.

So keeping it to yourself and not telling anyone is the proper way to deal with it with reverence and respect? The Christian faith is all about spreading the Word to others. People do it in a variety of ways.

White Man

Enron said:
So keeping it to yourself and not telling anyone is the proper way to deal with it with reverence and respect? The Christian faith is all about spreading the Word to others. People do it in a variety of ways.

That's cool. Now stick to doing it when it's appropriate. Won't somebody please think of the children?

HolyStar

Banned
Fusebox said:
Yeah, they do.

Phoenixs tract wasn't too fire and brimstone although it does raise the concept of hell which is NOT a guilt trip that little children need at their age, but frankly parents do have the right to complain about anything that goes into that bag other than candy, because candy is all people are expecting.

NO THEY DON'T the kids are goinig to their house bothering them participating with a holiday that involves demonic spirits. All so that the kids can get something from the house(usually candy) besides parents are supposed to watch their kids as they go from house to house and also they should inspect their bags before they eat any of their candy. If a parent sees a tract they don't like then end of disscussion throw it away. This is very different from someone handing out tracts were you work. Again they go to your property asking for tricks or treats. Handing out tracts can cause no harm to the child and if they are not trying to invite the child into thier home then their is no problem.

If you don't want anyone handing your kids tracts just teach your kids that if anyone hands you paper just to leave.

-jinx- said:
The issue is not whether someone has the RIGHT to talk about their beliefs. The issue is whether it's tacky as hell to push their beliefs onto other people without provocation.

Take religion out of the discussion for a moment. If the guy sitting next to you on the bus -- or in line in a store, or in the doctor's waiting room, or wherever -- starts telling you about how being a vegetarian is the only way to live a moral healthy life, or how everyone ought to play videogames since interactive entertainment is far better for you than passively watching TV, or how every young person should serve in the military before going to college, how would you feel? Regardless of whether or not you think those beliefs have merit, they have intruded upon your social space. I'm sorry, but that's just rude.

The bottom line is that when people go trick or treating, they expect candy from a house with the light on, or expect nothing from houses without lights on. Injecting religion -- or tax advice, or whatever -- into that situation is a breach of social convention.

How is that relevent to this issue, at all? If the guy on the bus got up and gave you some reading material on the vegetararian lifestyle, that would be more like the situation we're talking about. What's the problem? He gives it to you, you glance at the cover and see what it's about, and politely refuse to take it. Since when is that a big deal?

Dilbert

PhoenixDark said:
Since when is that a big deal?
I don't know about you, but if someone gives me a pamphlet, I get about 5-6 of my friends together, wait for that person to be alone, and then we stomp the crap out of them. And that's just for getting a PAMPHLET -- God help them if they touch my face or something like that.

Bezz

Banned
One of those amazing tracts (or whatever that is call) was about how you meet your loves one in the after life. So this obese lady gave me one, which I politely took (what was I going to do? Fight that b*****?) I gave it to my bro to take them, since I was carrying two pumpkins full of candy. My brother asked me what was that paper about, and I said "Just some religious paper for people to read".

All the sudden I heard him say "I think we should die right now so we can go see grandpa in heaven". He read one of these cheap propagandas and asked me that. I was really pissed, but I wasnt going back to discuss with her sick and twisted mind (like some of the people on this thread). So, we just went home.

Chick Tracts are hilarious. I used to to love getting them on Halloween. Why should dumb, impressionable kids who might be affected by them ruin the fun for everyone else.

ronito

Enron said:
Oh Enron, again you've applied your amazing logic and jumped to the wrong conclusion. I defy you to find where I said don't tell anyone about your christian faith. Go ahead and look. All I've said is that Christians should have more respect and reverence for their beliefs than to whore them out like that.

As I've said many times before , and you've ignored, is that there is a time and a place for tracting. Halloween is not the right time and place.

ronito said:
Ah, but if someone was advertising their business while giving out candy people would be unhappy about that too. This isn't about being anti-religion, it's freaking halloween let it be what it is. There's a time and a place for tracting, nothing wrong with that. Further a belief in God shouldn't be advertised out like some whore in Las Vegas.

Well... if they believe Halloween is a sinful holiday, there is no reason why they cannot speak out against it, or try to explain their point of view. First Amendment.

Are you advocating that we curtail speech on Halloween, just because of the type of day that it is?

Really, who are you to decide the proper time to send out tracts?

Sirpopopop said:
Well... if they believe Halloween is a sinful holiday, there is no reason why they cannot speak out against it, or try to explain their point of view. First Amendment.

Are you advocating that we curtail speech on Halloween, just because of the type of day that it is?

I agree 100% with the bolded part.

-jinx- said:

We live in America, this is not how our society functions.

Whether you like it or not, it is a freedom of speech issue. If someone is intruding on my social space, it is my right to tell them they are intruding on my social space.

ronito

Sirpopopop said:

And who are you to decide that this is proper?

You know I thought stuff like that was common sense. You know like not trying to sell amway at a company party or something. Looks like these people don't have that.

Look I'm not saying they don't have the right to do it. They definetly do. And I don't think I've ever said that we should ban them from doing so. My position is, as it always has been, that tracting in this manner is desparate and tacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom