• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Krazy Kristians set to convert trick-or-treaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
ronito said:
And who are you to decide that this is proper?

You know I thought stuff like that was common sense. You know like not trying to sell amway at a company party or something. Looks like these people don't have that.

Look I'm not saying they don't have the right to do it. They definetly do. And I don't think I've ever said that we should ban them from doing so. My position is, as it always has been, that tracting in this manner is desparate and tacky.

So you're comparing someone handing out tracts at their house to solicitation (and actually selling of something) at the workplace?:lol

White Man

PhoenixDark said:
So you're comparing someone handing out tracts at their house to solicitation (and actually selling of something) at the workplace?:lol

Aren't you the one that compared tracts to advertisements for products? Let he who has not made an inappropriate analogy cast the first stone, foo.

ronito

PhoenixDark said:
Fine then, let me rephrase:

It's like selling Amway to your paperboy when he comes to deliver the paper on Saturdays, but not Fridays, Wednesdays or days when the date is even. Because heaven fobid the analogy wouldn't make sense then!!

How's that?

Bezz

Banned
Oh man, I can see how religion influence some people around here.

I will start giving tracts advertising the Church of Satan. Nothing wrong with it

White Man said:
Aren't you the one that compared tracts to advertisements for products? Let he who has not made an inappropriate analogy cast the first stone, foo.

Yes, I did. Solicitation is different. For one, I can't "solicit" on my own property.

Ronito said:
Fine then, let me rephrase:

It's like selling Amway to your paperboy when he comes to deliver the paper on Saturdays, but not Fridays, Wednesdays or days when the date is even. Because heaven fobid the analogy wouldn't make sense then!!

How's that?

That's where you're wrong; nothing is being sold here. If a guy from Fed Ex dropped off a package at my home, and I gave him a tract, there would be nothing wrong with that.

ronito

PhoenixDark said:
Yes, I did. Solicitation is different. For one, I can't solicit on my own property.

That's where you're wrong; nothing is being sold here. If a guy from Fed Ex dropped off a package at my home, and I gave him a tract, there would be nothing wrong with that.
What is a tract but a selling of ones religion? Yeah, you'd be fine with that. I'd just find it tacky and desparate. To me when I talk to people about God or my beliefs I like to have a little bit of a relationship with them first, so they know me and trust me and so my words wont just be thrown away like cheap trash. That way they'll know that I'm sharing something with them because I care about them, and because it's important to me, and not because they happen to be the unlucky shmuck who caught me in one my tracting moods.

ronito said:
What is a tract but a selling of ones religion? Yeah, you'd be fine with that. I'd just find it tacky and desparate. To me when I talk to people about God or my beliefs I like to have a little bit of a relationship with them first, so they know me and trust me and so my words wont just be thrown away like cheap trash. That way they'll know that I'm sharing something with them because I care about them, and because it's important to me, and not because they happen to be the unlucky shmuck who caught me in one my tracting moods.

The problem is you can't have a meaningful conversation with everyone. You can't hold the Fed Ex dude back and talk to him about Jesus, because he has a job to do and you'd make him late; giving him a tract with your email address on it is a perfectly valid way of spreading the word.

Say you go to a restaurant; when you're done eating, you put your tip on the table as well as a tract. That's a great way of sharing your belief with someone who you wouldn't be able to reach under normal circumstances.

Dilbert

PhoenixDark said:
The problem is you can't have a meaningful conversation with everyone. You can't hold the Fed Ex dude back and talk to him about Jesus, because he has a job to do and you'd make him late; giving him a tract with your email address on it is a perfectly valid way of spreading the word.

Say you go to a restaurant; when you're done eating, you put your tip on the table as well as a tract. That's a great way of sharing your belief with someone who you wouldn't be able to reach under normal circumstances.
I think the part you're missing is that people don't want to be bothered with fairy tales when they are trying to do other shit.

-jinx- said:
I think the part you're missing is that people don't want to be bothered with fairy tales when they are trying to do other shit.

Well if that's the case, then they don't have to accept or read the tract. -_-

PhoenixDark said:
Christians wouldn't be tricker treating in the first place; or, certainly not the kind of Christians you're hinting at (fundies).:lol

I cannot take anything you say seriously as long as you call it that. Do you also carve punkins?

PhoenixDark said:

I'm to the point where I throw them on the ground when handed one in front of the person rude enough to try and give me unsolicited religious advice while laughing at them.

I invite others to join my love campaign.

Diablos

It's amazing how much the amount of trick-or-treaters has decreased since I was a kid where I live (and also in surrounding areas). I don't know if it's general paranoia from parents about candy being poisoned, religious BS, or out of concern for health (I mean let's face it, a kid eating a huge bag full of candy in probably a week is terrible for you), but it's definitely on the constant decline here.

From a health standpoint I could understand. Any other standpoint seems pretty retarded to me unless you're trick-or-treating in unfamiliar territory. Otherwise, just go to neighbors that you know.

ronito

PhoenixDark said:

Well that's the beauty of it, I don't have to. I don't have to tract everyone I meet nor do you. If I tract and spread the word by those that I have a chance of actually making a difference of, and you do the same then that's much more effective than throwing your beliefs everywhere like so much background noise. I know it's anecdotal but I've never, not once, not ever met anyone that was converted, or even started their interest in any religion from a quick "here's a piece of paper" tract from a stranger.

ronito said:
Well that's the beauty of it, I don't have to. I don't have to tract everyone I meet nor do you. If I tract and spread the word by those that I have a chance of actually making a difference of, and you do the same then that's much more effective than throwing your beliefs everywhere like so much background noise. I know it's anecdotal but I've never, not once, not ever met anyone that was converted, or even started their interest in any religion from a quick "here's a piece of paper" tract from a stranger.

Likewise with ancedotal observations: I've seen many people come to churches I've attended in the past after receiving a tract from someone. You could probably find hundreds of testemonials online from people who learned about the Christian faith or a church from tracts; they're effective if written correctly.

ronito

PhoenixDark said:
Likewise with ancedotal observations: I've seen many people come to churches I've attended in the past after receiving a tract from someone. You could probably find hundreds of testemonials online from people who learned about the Christian faith or a church from tracts; they're effective if written correctly.
someone they know or a complete stranger? of course people are going to start going to church from a tract. Question is was it a stranger or someone who took their time to talk with them.

GhaleonEB

As a parent, it bugs the hell out of me that someone is trying to thrust their beliefs on my kid. I get a couple of those every year and screen them out so she does not see them. White Man is spot on by being against this. My kid is four years old and I don't need others trying to **** with what she believes in.

puck1337

My grandpa used to slip me a tract with my candy, and my mom would immediately throw it out and start yelling at him.

Good times, good times.

Mr Toast

Geez, I cant stand this kind of evangelising. I find it bad enough that states and schools all over the world sanction the brainwashing of kids through religion classes of all sorts. Cut that out until theyre old enough to make up their own mind.

Mute

Banned
Chances are if someone wants to know more about religion, they'll do that on their own time. Or teach their kids about it. Not have it sneaked into their candy.

Enron

Banned
ronito said:
I defy you to find where I said don't tell anyone about your christian faith. Go ahead and look. All I've said is that Christians should have more respect and reverence for their beliefs than to whore them out like that.

Yeah. Respect and reverance for their beliefs....by not handing out a tract for it and thus keeping quiet. You are KING of logic.

As I've said many times before , and you've ignored, is that there is a time and a place for tracting. Halloween is not the right time and place.

Why is it NOT the right "time and place"? What is?

Ronito: says X

Enron: comments about X

Ronito: Wait no, what are you talking about? Im talking about Y, Enron is an idiot

Enron: ....

is basically how most of our "discussions" go. I see this one lives up to Ronitos' standard. If nothing else, guy, at least you are consistent.

Enron

Banned
ronito said:
Well that's the beauty of it, I don't have to. I don't have to tract everyone I meet nor do you. If I tract and spread the word by those that I have a chance of actually making a difference of, and you do the same then that's much more effective than throwing your beliefs everywhere like so much background noise.

Why not do both?

It's laughable that so many do not see the problem with "spreading the word" to children without their parents' blessing.

You shouldn't be pulling this shit with a 6-year-old at any time, Halloween or not.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
My girlfriend who is highly religious and attends church at least twice a week (she went 4 times this week) walked in on me reading this thread. She started reading too and by the end her only comment was "Christians like these make me ashamed to be one sometimes."

ronito said:
And who are you to decide that this is proper?

It's not my place to decide, hence why I am not going around saying that people should stop doing something they think is proper.

You know I thought stuff like that was common sense. You know like not trying to sell amway at a company party or something. Looks like these people don't have that.

Nothing is being sold here. Bad example. There is also no large social gathering here - instead people are going from house to house asking for something (candy).

Look I'm not saying they don't have the right to do it. They definetly do. And I don't think I've ever said that we should ban them from doing so. My position is, as it always has been, that tracting in this manner is desparate and tacky.

That's your view, that's not their view. Anyway, this post from you:

Ah, but if someone was advertising their business while giving out candy people would be unhappy about that too. This isn't about being anti-religion, it's freaking halloween let it be what it is. There's a time and a place for tracting, nothing wrong with that. Further a belief in God shouldn't be advertised out like some whore in Las Vegas.

That seemed to me like you were supporting a ban. It is some pretty strong language after all. If you just think it's "tacky and desperate" that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom