• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last of us remastered coming out next week?

I usually don't take stock of these kinds of retailer-set release dates, but it's happened A LOT with TLOU:R. I'm thinking the E3-conference might have a bombshell "this Friday!"-thing going on. At least at this point it wouldn't suprise me.

falcones

Neo Member
- 1080p60 [targeted]
- all FMV cinematics re-rendered to be 1080p60
- better textures, lightning, particles, LODs
- all high-end assets they created for cinematic [including charachter models], random production stages, everything will be crammed into the game

I think maybe this game doesn't really need 60fps, they could provide yet better models, effects and antialiasing instead. But yea, i love 60fps also.

Virzeth

I don't believe this ... I could believe this ... I think I believe this ... I believe this ... it's happening isn't it ... perhaps I no longer believe this ... I can't believe this ... It's not happening is it ... OR IS IT!? ... I musn't believe this, I shouldn't believe this ... I want to believe this ... It hurts to believe this ... NOPE, It's still definitely happening.

vantrsE.gif

genjiZERO

So if I never played the original this should be my first PS4 game right? Question though: there is actual solid gameplay? I'm not terribly interested in "cinematic gaming". I never had much interest in the Uncharted series because it seemed light on the gameplay.

I knew it. There was no the way The Last of Fucking Us on the PS4 was going to be on shelves so unceremoniously. Naughty Dog are too big these days for such a stealth release, even if it's a mere remaster.
Ehh, it's not like it's a console release (ehem, Saturn) to where it'd be a catastrophe. TLOU is a known name now. They don't need any long term marketing. An E3 announcement about it being available next Friday could be a nice surprise and the news would spread instantly really.

So if I never played the original this should be my first PS4 game right? Question though: there is actual solid gameplay? I'm not terribly interested in "cinematic gaming". I never had much interest in the Uncharted series because it seemed light on the gameplay.

Don't worry.

sjay1994

What are your demands for gameplay?

Last of us is a wide linear stealth hobo simulator where you scrounge around for supplies. Gunplay and stealth feel good.

It definitely has more going for it than uncharted in terms of gameplay.

I knew it. There was no the way The Last of Fucking Us on the PS4 was going to be on shelves so unceremoniously. Naughty Dog are too big these days for such a stealth release, even if it's a mere remaster.
I wouldn't really call a big E3 announcement unceremonious. There will clearly be a lot of fanfare.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think maybe this game doesn't really need 60fps, they could provide yet better models, effects and antialiasing instead. But yea, i love 60fps also.

If heavily upgraded Tomb Raider managed to achieve almost 1080p60 on PS4, TLOU which will receive less upgrades [most importantly no tressfx] can do so more easily.

TLOU has fantastic gameplay, really tense and adrenaline filled combat and stealth, on-the-go crafting and nice "realistic" environmental traversal [no superhero vertical climbing]. Plus game changes a lot when you are faced against humans or clickers. Very fun game to be played [plus incredible story, characters & their progression].

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ehh, it's not like it's a console release (ehem, Saturn) to where it'd be a catastrophe. TLOU is a known name now. They don't need any long term marketing. An E3 announcement about it being available next Friday could be a nice surprise and the news would spread instantly really.

Just over 6 million PS3 owners bought TLOU which leaves another 74 million PS3 owners who could benefit from an advertising campaign.

genjiZERO

Last of us is a wide linear stealth hobo simulator where you scrounge around for supplies. Gunplay and stealth feel good.

I don't expect Souls level of gameplay, but, say, Resident Evil would be the minimum. I don't like "press X" to do something cinematic gameplay.

Exactly.

sjay1994

I don't expect Souls level of gameplay, but, say, Resident Evil would be the minimum. I don't like "press X" to do something cinematic gameplay.

Well, if you play the game on easy-hard the stealth takedowns are indicated by prompts, but on survivor and grounded those prompts are gone. There also is a bit of mashing when an enemy grabs you.

Also the puzzles are kinda lame, since they all involve planks and ladders.

But all the prompts are lost in the higher difficulties. So yeah, it should meet the resident evil standard you have set.

Isn't all gameplay technically 'press x' to do something?

But yeah, The Last of Us has plenty of gamey gameplay. Combat is great as you can stealth or go loud, there's crafting, scavenging, some light puzzles, awesome exploration (still linear but there are some big areas with tons of detail).

It's a great game. It's got great gameplay. Get it.

Uncharted has never really appealed to me, I love Indiana Jones but it's not the kind of game I want to play.

I wanted to avoid The Last Of Us because I figured it was just going to be "omg dark and emotions, so depressing GOTY", but my friend let me borrow his PS3 and encouraged me to try it.

I didn't care for the shooting sections in the game, but the melee feels so good. As strange of a comparison as it is to make, I felt like TLOU gameplay was like a super serious 3D version of Hotline Miami. The violence is way over the top, and it feels great to just annihilate a gang of hunters in a building.

There's a crafting system (which I'm usually not a fan of) that's streamlined, you pull up the menu and it shows you what you can make right now, then you hold down the button to make it.

I think I may have actually preferred the game if it didn't have some of the infected parts (the "fight off the horde while I open this door" parts were annoying to me). I liked the parts that were more like puzzles, where you watch their patterns and plan ahead (sometimes using trial and error)

If you are a fan of stealth, gathering resources, and brutal combat then there's a good chance you'll like the game. It helps that the story is well done.

hawk2025

Isn't all gameplay technically 'press x' to do something?

But yeah, The Last of Us has plenty of gamey gameplay. Combat is great as you can stealth or go loud, there's crafting, scavenging, some light puzzles, awesome exploration (still linear but there are some big areas with tons of detail).

It's a great game. It's got great gameplay. Get it.

Plus the multiplayer, which is pure gameplay-based awesomeness.

And will be MUCH better at a proper framerate.

sjay1994

Uncharted has never really appealed to me, I love Indiana Jones but it's not the kind of game I want to play.

I wanted to avoid The Last Of Us because I figured it was just going to be "omg dark and emotions, so depressing GOTY", but my friend let me borrow his PS3 and encouraged me to try it.

I didn't care for the shooting sections in the game, but the melee feels so good. As strange of a comparison as it is to make, I felt like TLOU gameplay was like a super serious 3D version of Hotline Miami. The violence is way over the top, and it feels great to just annihilate a gang of hunters in a building.

There's a crafting system (which I'm usually not a fan of) that's streamlined, you pull up the menu and it shows you what you can make right now, then you hold down the button to make it.

I think I may have actually preferred the game if it didn't have some of the infected parts (the "fight off the horde while I open this door" parts were annoying to me). I liked the parts that were more like puzzles, where you watch their patterns and plan ahead (sometimes using trial and error)

If you are a fan of stealth, gathering resources, and brutal combat then there's a good chance you'll like the game. It helps that the story is well done.

Honestly, since I only played the game on hard once. The hotline miami connection is totally valid.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Do you genuinely believe there are 74 million active PS3s out there with owners regularly buying games?

You're right. I know a few guys who bought PS3's in launch year and only ever bought fifa for it. They've both upgraded to PS4, subscribed to PS plus and still only play Fifa. I imagine there are plenty of people out there who grew bored and left the system to gather dust... That goes for any gaming system.

bombshell

Plus the multiplayer, which is pure gameplay-based awesomeness.

And will be MUCH better at a proper framerate.

Having already platinum'ed the PS3 version, this is what I'm most looking forward to. Easily the best and most fun 3rd person MP on PS3.

The real selling point.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Do you genuinely believe there are 74 million active PS3s out there with owners regularly buying games?

Obviously not. Just making a point. Of course it's worth advertising and it WILL be heavily advertised because there are literally millions of people who not only own a PS4 but own other consoles too. And who knows, there might be some people who have never owned a console.

Menome

Gameplay's fairly average. It's alright as a combined whole, but the individual elements of stealth/combat/etc. have been done better elsewhere.

Same goes for the story too if you ask me.

Well shinobi is back, now Derrick should be here to complete the circle. But if shin is back, TLOU releasing without marketing is entirely possible.

Top Bottom