• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LATINO REVIEW: Morgan Freeman approached for The Ancient One in Doctor Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
We just got confirmation from Marvel last week that Benedict Cumberbatch is set to play Doctor Strange in the eponymous Marvel movie, and now word is coming as to who might co-star as the character’s mentor -- the Ancient One!

Latino Review reports that Morgan Freeman, Bill Nighy and Ken Watanabe have all been approached for the role in Doctor Strange. Freeman, of course, has some superhero experience thanks to his turn as Lucius Fox in The Dark Knight series (and so does Watanabe, actually, having played the faux Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins). Nighy hasn’t appeared in any superhero films yet, unless you count Astro Boy or, uh, Underworld.

What’s interesting about these picks is that Marvel clearly isn’t focusing on race for this casting. The character is traditionally depicted as Asian, having been born in Tibet. He is responsible for training Stephen Strange in the ways of the mystic arts, and would also later assist the good doctor in his adventures at times. He also trained Strange’s eventual nemesis, Baron Mordo.

Doctor Strange is being directed by Scott Derrickson for a November 4, 2016, release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

scan211.jpg

Morgan-Freeman-The-Hour.jpg

Edit: ah, hell, I dont get the Morgan Freeman Picture im a working Quote-Tag, sorry! I am currently on my iPad, maybe thats why it isnt working.

Edit2: Added the source. Next time I boot up my PC when I want ro start a new thread.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'd go with Watanabe even if the character wasn't Asian. He's got a great voice (not Freeman level, but still...) and the more diversity the better.

Dram

So if Freeman gets the part would Strange's training have to take place somewhere other than Tibet?

mikew3st

I'm a little tired of seeing Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freeman in every movie, so I wouldn't have a problem with some of those other choices.

J10

Banned
To be fair he died in an explosion involving an elder god, and they didn't find a body. So he was coming back from jump.

That was in New Avengers right? I think I read that story. Wolverine possessed the powers of everybody on the team to try to kill Agamotto but it wasn't enough.

J10

Banned
Dude... Seriously. Thats how they should cast him.
Or as The Watcher.

Watchers are useless garbage aside from the occasional info dump. Watchers are like the asshole camera men in found footage films who stand by and do nothing while horrible shit is happening. The only reason to have them there is wait for one to inevitably break protocol - for that, just give the kill shot to one of the heroes who was actually trying to do the right thing in the first place. Fuck Watchers. Fuck Watchers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Watchers are useless garbage aside from the occasional info dump. Watchers are like the asshole camera men in found footage films who stand by and do nothing while horrible shit is happening. The only reason to have them there is wait for one to inevitably break protocol - for that, just give the kill shot to one of the heroes who was actually trying to do the right thing in the first place. Fuck Watchers. Fuck Watchers.
But this would be a great explanation, why Stan always shows up ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom