• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How far into the game before you can access the little computer outside Police HQ and enter the code from the "High Speed Chase" set?

aparisi2274

Hey all, have a quick question...

just started the game, and I am doing the mission where I am
arresting the clowns from the bank robbery
, and one of them has taken me down to the docks area, and when I get there, my waypoint is above some crates where it says to use the gamepad to scan for hiding criminals, but whenever I press the A button, I just get a BZZZ, like I am in the wrong spot.

Any ideas? These are the crates that are next to that glowing anchor... I keep pressing the scanner icon on my gamepad, but no luck...

Thanks

EDIT: NEVERMIND!!! It seems I had to press and hold the L button first?? No idea why I had to do that, but it worked.

tassletine

I've been playing for almost 3 hours straight and I got 5 loadings in all.

They are a bit on the long side yes but not nearly as frequent as the reviews made them out to be.

So what the fuck, guys?

News outlets always want to run with a story -- The Wiiu has long loading times shock horror. The WiiU is failing etc. The Edge review was the worst offender, especially when it's compared to their Aliens review in the same issue which also got a 5/10.

, and one of them has taken me down to the docks area, and when I get there, my waypoint is above some crates where it says to use the gamepad to scan for hiding criminals, but whenever I press the A button, I just get a BZZZ, like I am in the wrong spot.

Any ideas? These are the crates that are next to that glowing anchor... I keep pressing the scanner icon on my gamepad, but no luck...

Thanks

EDIT: NEVERMIND!!! It seems I had to press and hold the L button first?? No idea why I had to do that, but it worked.

You have to be wearing the Police outfit. You were probably wearing civilian clothes?

AirBrian

Thanks

You had to switch costumes, which is done with the L button.

zigg

I love how there isn't an over reliance of smashing everything is sight.
I am having a hard time not doing that, actually. Old habit from previous games, can't seem to break myself of it here. :lol

I was wondering if the cars actually have names, i've just been calling them what I think the equivalent real life car would be.
Don't the cars' names show on the screen when you're driving them?

I was wondering if the cars actually have names, i've just been calling them what I think the equivalent real life car would be.

Yeah, the name shows up in the upper left hand corner when you first get in. The Silversmith is akin to a classic Dodge Charger / Challenger.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this while driving already, but
when you bring down light poles or other brick items in your car, you get a brick multiplier. Once the multiplier hits 5x, your car turns white and glows and a Pac-Man-like sound emanates from the vehicle

zigg

If more then one person can confirm that they work, I'd be happy to do that.
In this thread on GameStop, someone other than me posted the same GameStop code last night. I was too busy playing to post until today :)

Just looking at that thread, it might be that 6-character codes are universal and 7-character codes unique.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The stop/go gameflow is just killing all the fun for me. Absolutely murdering it.

The load times are simply unacceptable. They would be terrible for LAST-LAST-GEN (PS2, XBOX).

And even when you get into the action the frequent pauses for cut-scenes, animatics, camera pans or moments where the game simply freezes control of your character just makes me grind my teeth in annoyance.

I so desperately want to like this game but the tech drawbacks are just sapping ALL THE JOY from the experience.

I may just take the game back. :-(

Schnozberry

The stop/go gameflow is just killing all the fun for me. Absolutely murdering it.

The load times are simply unacceptable. They would be terrible for LAST-LAST-GEN (PS2, XBOX).

And even when you get into the action the frequent pauses for cut-scenes, animatics, camera pans or moments where the game simply freezes control of your character just makes me grind my teeth in annoyance.

I so desperately want to like this game but the tech drawbacks are just sapping ALL THE JOY from the experience.

I may just take the game back. :-(

I'm so glad I bought digital. I set up a 7200rpm drive with lots of cache in an external enclosure and my load times are 20% faster than my friend who bought retail.

I think you might be overreacting a bit to the cut-scenes and animations. I've actually found the whole experience quite charming.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
*shrugs* the loading is indeed bad when it happens, but it isn't frequent enough to be a major annoyance (IMO). The game is just to darn darn charming and fun to mess around in to let that hinder the experience.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm so glad I bought digital. I set up a 7200rpm drive with lots of cache in an external enclosure and my load times are 20% faster than my friend who bought retail.

I think you might be overreacting a bit to the cut-scenes and animations. I've actually found the whole experience quite charming .

It's definitely charming! I love the humor and the world. I really, really want to enjoy the game. I've been looking forward to it since its announcement.

But the load times and stop/go gameplay are just a giant kick in the balls. I sit there staring at the bar on my Gamepad slowly filling for like 30 seconds in disgust and disbelief each time it pops up. This is 2013. This is a next-gen (post PS360) system. This just isn't acceptable and I don't want to send a message that it is.

Does the Digital Copy/7200rpm HDD combo really help? I remember reading multiple posts before saying it didn't make much difference (I have a retail copy ATM).

If it improves things I may return my retail copy and buy digital.

Schnozberry

It's definitely charming! I love the humor and the world. I really, really want to enjoy the game. I've been looking forward to it since its announcement.

But the load times and stop/go gameplay are just a giant kick in the balls. I sit there staring at the bar on my Gamepad slowly filling for like 30 seconds in disgust and disbelief each time it pops up. This is 2013. This is a next-gen (post PS360) system. This just isn't acceptable and I don't want to send a message that it is.

Does the Digital Copy/7200rpm HDD combo really help? I remember reading multiple posts before saying it did't make much difference (I have a retail copy ATM).

If it improves things I may return my retail copy and buy digital.

I don't think you can blame it on Nintendo. I think this is the first real large open world game from TT and they probably made some design choices early on that came back to bite them in the ass when it comes to load times. If anything, TT is probably painfully aware of the whole situation already.

I can't say more than what I've experienced about loading, but the initial game load time for my friend is close to 80 seconds and I'm at about 50. The loads while in game are about 25-35 seconds for me and almost a minute for him. I'm using a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM hybrid drive with a good chunk of flash memory, and a USB 3.0 Vantec enclosure (yes, I know the Wii U is limited to USB 2.0).

So a reviewer on Amazon claims that this game has terrible aliasing and a subpar framerate. But, he only played the game for 5 minutes before giving up (lol).

So any truth to what he said, or is he pretty much full of crap?

*shrugs* the loading is indeed bad when it happens, but it isn't frequent enough to be a major annoyance (IMO). The game is just to darn darn charming and fun to mess around in to let that hinder the experience.

Do you have the disc version?

Schnozberry

So a reviewer on Amazon claims that this game has terrible aliasing and a subpar framerate. But, he only played the game for 5 minutes before giving up (lol).

It does have aliasing. The framerate has been fine for me. I think he probably went into it looking for reasons not to like the game. He probably only plays mature game for mature gamers like himself.

Mrbob

I would yes to both. I've noticed frame rate issues and jaggies.

The initial boot up for this game is strange. Not sure why there is an initial load before the title screen. You have to load up your game in the first place, anyway. I believe the load times are around 30 to 40 seconds on the digital version , which is bad enough. A minute would be really painful. I'll have to double check my digital copy tonight.

These issues detract form the experience, but not enough to keep me away from the game. I'm having a good time. Quitting after 5 minutes seems to be a bit hyperbolic.

I have a lot of games on PS3 and Wii U. Recently bought Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect for PS3 and Black Ops 2 Wii U. When I think of Playing I can only think of this game. It has the lego gameplay a bit enhanced with the new moves, but the open world, the dialogue, just surpasses every other lego game.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Do you have the disc version?

Yes I do have the retail version. It has some bad pop-up but disnt really notice any major framerate or aliasing problems.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Putting in codes in the computer in the station is pretty fun. The noise it makes is cool. Kind of makes me more likely to buy that Deus Ex rerelease because of those kinds of things.

dwu8991

Banned
I have a lot of games on PS3 and Wii U. Recently bought Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect for PS3 and Black Ops 2 Wii U. When I think of Playing I can only think of this game. It has the lego gameplay a bit enhanced with the new moves, but the open world, the dialogue, just surpasses every other lego game.

Not surprising. Everyone can relate to Lego City.

I found an easier way to save. Just go into the Police Station, access the cheat code menu from the main computer, and press B. The game automatically saves every time you exit the menu.

lol, I just noticed that somebody mentioned it already. From what I've seen so far, most A-mapped action commands within the police station do allow you to save.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I started this the other night and the load times were a serious turnoff. Really bummed me out, I want to like it pretty badly. It sounds like they get better as you proceed? Hopefully I can endure through them.

jmls1121

Banned
Yeah I started this the other night and the load times were a serious turnoff. Really bummed me out, I want to like it pretty badly. It sounds like they get better as you proceed? Hopefully I can endure through them.

They don't necessarily get better, but the gamplay as you move forward requires less loads.

KevinCow

Banned
I need some help in the mine.

Just after the cable car falls and crashes.

I climbed up one level and beat up some guys. Now I can't figure out where to go. I see a grapple point up a shaft, but there's a plank of wood blocking me. It doesn't seem like there's any way to break it or move it.

I'm kinda wondering if the game glitched or something, because I was in there earlier and saw the grapple point light up. Then I ran around collecting stuff, came back, and it was blocked.

Akira_83

Banned
I found an easier way to save. Just go into the Police Station, access the cheat code menu from the main computer, and press B. The game automatically saves every time you exit the menu.

dont see how thats easier than using a disguise booth

gotta deal with the loading screen when entering building

no loading for disguise booth and it saves as well, plus many are spread around map

KevinCow

Banned
I need some help in the mine.

Just after the cable car falls and crashes.

I climbed up one level and beat up some guys. Now I can't figure out where to go. I see a grapple point up a shaft, but there's a plank of wood blocking me. It doesn't seem like there's any way to break it or move it.

I'm kinda wondering if the game glitched or something, because I was in there earlier and saw the grapple point light up. Then I ran around collecting stuff, came back, and it was blocked.

Come on, nobody can answer this?

Top Bottom