• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Gangxxter

I found an easier way to save. Just go into the Police Station, access the cheat code menu from the main computer, and press B. The game automatically saves every time you exit the menu.
I don't own this game (I only follow this thread from time to time and watch LPs on YT), but doesn't this game save automatically when you exit the game? That's kinda weak.

I'm having an issue with some of the extras. I keep having to manually set Studs x2, x4, x6 to On each time I play, as well as a few other options like Attract Bricks, Fall Rescue, Costumes, Ringtones etc.

Is this a bug? The Data Scan Upgrades, for instance, are always set to On when I resume my game session, but I have to manually set the other ones.

Come on, nobody can answer this?

After the cable car, follow all the way to the right to find a free run spot up. Beat everybody up. Once you reach the top where that plank is you instead go above and to the right to get into the fenced off area. There's a safe in there you crack to get an audio log that ends the mission

Pretty sure you're OK on that one. I think I know what you're talking about, just semi-crap visual queuing.

dancmc

Really enjoying so far. But man the the load times.....even my 4 1/2 year old who I an playing with (taking turns...my turn daddy) was like what's taking so long....I really think it's the placement and blatant transparent nature of them that is so jarring...how about hiding them a little better...please get a patch

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Really enjoying so far. But man the the load times.....even my 4 1/2 year old who I an playing with (taking turns...my turn daddy) was like what's taking so long....I really think it's the placement and blatant transparent nature of them that is so jarring...how about hiding them a little better...please get a patch

A lot of them are right after a cut scene too, why not use the cut scene to hide most of the load?

Anyway, other than the load times I am loving the shit out of this game. Driving feels like the old arcade games, crash into anyone and drift around every corner. Combat's easy but fun. The whole game feels like an 80's cop show spoof. I'm having a lot more fun than I thought I would. This has pretty much justified the purchase of my WiiU.

A lot of them are right after a cut scene too, why not use the cut scene to hide most of the load?

Anyway, other than the load times I am loving the shit out of this game. Driving feels like the old arcade games, crash into anyone and drift around every corner. Combat's easy but fun. The whole game feels like an 80's cop show spoof. I'm having a lot more fun than I thought I would. This has pretty much justified the purchase of my WiiU.

I haven't played Undercover yet, but Lego Batman 2 has long load times. How much more intrusive are they on this one?

Im really blown away by the writing in this game, its really clever and has made me laugh a lot. Also it seems like every inch of the map has somthing to do or collect. I really hope the game does well as I would love to see the lego games without a licensed IP behind it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't played Undercover yet, but Lego Batman 2 has long load times. How much more intrusive are they on this one?

There's quite a bit of loading early on in the game, but once you get past the tutorial stages it isn't as bad. It's mostly when you enter a building, transversing the over world is pretty seamless. It's not bad enough to make the game not fun, they could just do better.

Im really blown away by the writing in this game, its really clever and has made me laugh a lot. Also it seems like every inch of the map has somthing to do or collect. I really hope the game does well as I would love to see the lego games without a licensed IP behind it.

I'd love an Undercover 2, with them fixing stuff and just making it better. It's really a great game and could easily be a new franchise.

Rootbeer

Banned
The guy in the first video sounds like he's having a ton of fun... it's certainly selling me on this game.

If you have a Wii U you need to buy this game! The 49.99 price makes it even more of a steal. No more thinking... go find a copy (if you can! other than eShop, ofc)

Got mine at Target personally.

I'm having a difficult time splitting my attention between LEGO City Undercover and MH3U. I've played about 3 hours of each so far... decisions decisions

zigg

I'm having an issue with some of the extras. I keep having to manually set Studs x2, x4, x6 to On each time I play, as well as a few other options like Attract Bricks, Fall Rescue, Costumes, Ringtones etc.
This is standard for LEGO games, unfortunately.

ahm998

If you have a Wii U you need to buy this game! The 49.99 price makes it even more of a steal. No more thinking... go find a copy (if you can! other than eShop, ofc)

I'm having a difficult time splitting my attention between LEGO City Undercover and MH3U. I've played about 3 hours of each so far... decisions decisions

For me I'm having a difficult time splitting my attention between LEGO City Undercover
& MH3U & NFS:MW & Luigi Mansion 2.

LEGO really best one in the series.

Holding out on picking up a Wii U until I have a bit of free time (June-ish), but I will certainly pick it up then.

Dunkelgrau

I have got new this month:

Monster Hunter Ultimate,
Bioshock,
Bioshock Infinite,
Sim City and
Battlefield 3.

But I am hyped mostly for LEGO City Undercover! Cant wait!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is Honey the greatest character of all time?

I'm starting to believe so.

]blacky[;51207765 said:
I have got new this month:

Monster Hunter Ultimate,
Bioshock,
Bioshock Infinite,
Sim City and
Battlefield 3.

But I am hyped mostly for LEGO City Undercover! Cant wait!

Games I bought this month:

Sly Cooper: TiT (Vita)
Professor Layton (3DS)
Sticker Star (3DS)
Adventure Time (3DS)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS) buying tonight
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
Tomb Raider (PS3) finished
Most Wanted U (WiiU)
Lego City Undercover (WiiU)

Best Buy killed my wallet with their sales lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Son is opening this gift next week. How're you guys finding this game so far after having some time with it?

Load times can be annoying, but other than that it's pure fun. It's like someone filled a syringe full of fun and joy and just shot me up with it.

zigg

So it seems this game gives four separate save files to every account on the U.

I had a brief moment of panic when my daughter informed me she had "started playing" and I only saw one save file…

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, this game is truly something special. I am having a blast with it, and I can't imagine how much fun I would have had when I was ten. So far my mission play time:scavenging-around-for-super-bricks play time ratio is like 1:4. Nintendo would be wise to keep this developer happy and exclusive as long as they can. Lego City has the potential to be a huge franchise, especially if someone were smart enough to make a cartoon.

_woLf

Aside from the ridiculous load times, this is by far my favorite game on the Wii U. It's humor is absolutely brilliant and it's a lot of fun. I do wish the vehicles controlled a bit better, though. Would love to see this become a big franchise on the Wii U.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow, this game is truly something special. I am having a blast with it, and I can't imagine how much fun I would have had when I was ten. So far my mission play time:scavenging-around-for-super-bricks play time ratio is like 1:4. Nintendo would be wise to keep this developer happy and exclusive as long as they can. Lego City has the potential to be a huge franchise, especially if someone were smart enough to make a cartoon.

Lego already has a cartoon so I'd bet that they're watching this very closely to see if it's popular enough to risk turning it into one. They don't want to over saturate the market after all.

But seriously, Nintendo needs to play this right.

Holding out on picking up a Wii U until I have a bit of free time (June-ish), but I will certainly pick it up then.

No seriously man, GET THIS GAME. It's a hilarious, intensely fun, addictive open-world collecathon that feels like a blast from the past. It's also great value for your money--the game is hundreds of hours long if you want to 100% it.

So a reviewer on Amazon claims that this game has terrible aliasing and a subpar framerate. But, he only played the game for 5 minutes before giving up (lol).

So any truth to what he said, or is he pretty much full of crap?

Do you have the disc version?

I have the disc version. The framerate DEFINITELY lags at points, especially when there's a lot of action going on in the screen. It's fine most of the time, but it is far from locked. The jaggies are definitely there, but they can be pronounced at more times than others. Usually they're not bad enough to seriously detract from the experience.

Object pop-in and a low draw distance at points are also negatives.

I'm curious as to how they might make a sequel.

Unlike GTA where the cities are each based on one real world city, LEGO City is based on several - New York, San Francisco, Miami, etc.

And what would they call the city?

Can't wait to get a wii u and this game.

I've bought five Wii U games so far----Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros., U, SiNG Party, LEGO City Undercover, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge.

I've also played ZombiU, the Rayman Legends demo, etc.

Out of those all those games, I can say with confidence that LEGO City Undercover has been the most fun, most addictive, and most hilarious experience that I've had with the Wii U.

It would be my #1 recommended game for anyone who is looking to buy a Wii U, and in my opinion, it's a reason to go out and buy the console now. It's a TRUE video game.

My positives:

* 17 explorable regions makes the overall world seem HUGE. Each region isn't very large, but that isn't really an issue and the seamless loading between regions makes the boundaries less distinct.

* Hilarious dialogue. Lots of corny humor that makes the game a fun B-Movie. The over-the-top way it's presented makes it a camp hit.

* Surprisingly engaging narrative. The story always keeps me intrigued, even if its cliched nature SHOULD be a detractor. And I quite like the characters.

* VERY fun, accessible gameplay. It keeps things light and easy without any real frustrating moments. Personally, I'm not the kind of person who likes frustrating gameplay challenges, so this is up my alley.

* A BILLION COLLECTIBLES. God the sheer amount of STUFF you can collect in this game is mind-boggling. I love collectathons, and this game DELIVERS IN SPADES. So much FUCKING STUFF to collect.

* IT'S SO ROBUST. Seriously. Compared to your linear, 6-hour-long, cinematic-set-piece-driven, linear shooters, this is a godsend. The story takes quite a while to complete. And the game takes hundreds of hours to 100%. For example, I took a tally when I was 6 hours into the game. For me, 6 hours into the game = 4.5% complete.

* Beautiful cinematics. When the game does have cutscenes, they're quite well done.

* Large, explorable open-world filled with nooks and crannies and hidden objects and stuff to do.

* Technically competent. Everything works mostly how it should, the camera is serviceable, and there's never any one moment that I felt stuck or confused. Lots of on-screen prompts will help you out if you forget a control or a move...

* Nothing--in terms of localized gameplay--too difficult. None of the puzzles are challenging. None of the enemies are difficult. Everything is nice and easy. But why is this a good thing? Because this game is brilliant as a chill, relaxing, fun game for when you want to unwind and relax. It's instantly accessible and very pick-up-and-play worthy. Wandering around, searching for objects to collect with nature ambiance in the background is quite a zen experience.

* It fulfills that "Grand Theft Auto" itch. The game is obviously inspired from GTA, but it's much less hectic and stressful. It may be "GTA-lite," but I really think that works to its advantage when considering the overall atmosphere of the game.

* It feels like a pre-cinematic-era video game. You know...a "classic video game." I really think this gen needs more of that.

* Serviceable soundtrack and voice acting. It could be better...but it could be a hell of a lot worse, too. I especially like the theme for the Police station.

My negatives:

* Framerate is unreliable at times. It really isn't optimal at all. While the framerate never gets to a point where it's a problem, slowdowns aren't exactly rare in the game either.

* LONG loading times between missions + the open world. It definitely feels like the load times are longer than they should be.

* Controls aren't perfect. They generally work the way they're supposed to, but I've missed a jump and smashed a car more than a few times than I'd like.

* In-game graphics are generally underwhelming. I can't think of any one part of the game that's technically beautiful in today's day-and-age. But I've never been one to expect fantastic graphics, especially from Nintendo games. And the art style is just slightly more uninspired than I would like. However, there are a few places (like the mine) that I find quite pretty. At the very least, everything is colorful.

* It isn't perfectly polished. There are some hiccups in gameplay and graphics here and there that can be slightly frustrating at times.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm enjoying this game so much that the 3DS game is now on my radar. I want more time with these characters, and I'm actually interested in seeing what actually happened two years ago between Chase and Rex (I'm only halfway through the game btw).

But then again, I'm guessing Frank Honey won't be present. :/ Frank Honey needs his own game dammit!

Ive put 10 hours into this game and this might be my favorite open world game, you can tell the love and care put into it every corner you turn in the city. The game is filled to the brim with little touches and details, there literally something to do everywhere you look. The game offers a ton of platforming which is really enjoyable, from scaling roof tops to bridges.

addyb

March 28 can't come soon enough. This and LM2 on the same day, oh my

Yep pre ordered this earlier today from simply games and have LM2 coming from LOVEFiLM.

I've only briefly played Lego lotr and really enjoyed that so hopefully I will enjoy LCU.

Top Bottom