• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Osahi

Just built Clayface. He is smaller than I thought, but what a great model nonetheless.

The build also made me realize what a revolution those ball joints actually are in terms of what's possible with Lego. Even more so then Mighty Dinosaurs did.

I found a few Ultra Agents Ocean HQ at 35% off. This seems to be rare, but is it worth picking up just to resell?

That whole wave was TRU exclusive in the US I think, not sure about Sweden. I picked it up on discount just for parts. It does come with that sweet mecha-shark though. You can actually fit a mini figure all the way in its mouth/stomach.

Not sure about the resell.

ghostmind

That whole wave was TRU exclusive in the US I think, not sure about Sweden. I picked it up on discount just for parts. It does come with that sweet mecha-shark though. You can actually fit a mini figure all the way in its mouth/stomach.

Not sure about the resell.

The shark comes with AntiMatter's Portal Hideout.

As for the Ocean HQ, it is a sweet boat with cool build techniques, multiple armaments, and some rare elements. I would pick up one if you don't have it already - it made one of my Best of the Year lists for a reason.

D1lfOwl.jpg

The shark comes with AntiMatter's Portal Hideout.

As for the Ocean HQ, it is a sweet boat with cool build techniques, multiple armaments, and some rare elements. I would pick up one if you don't have it already - it made one of my Best of the Year lists for a reason.

D1lfOwl.jpg

Oh, derp. My brain was not functioning.

YES. Get the Ocean HQ. It is amazing, and was on my best of list too if I remember right.

EDIT: Yup, was my #6 for 2015.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
How do people organise minifigs?

I used to have all the heads, legs, printed legs etc in trays then torsos sorted around themes such as city/police/pirates/western. Obviously special figs, superheroes and CMFs were kept intact. Worked for a while but ive completely ran out of space and compartments for all the body parts. Wondering if its worth buying more drawer units or trying something different.

What do?

How do people organise minifigs?

I used to have all the heads, legs, printed legs etc in trays then torsos sorted around themes such as city/police/pirates/western. Obviously special figs, superheroes and CMFs were kept intact. Worked for a while but ive completely ran out of space and compartments for all the body parts. Wondering if its worth buying more drawer units or trying something different.

What do?

well i have my minifigures organized into 4 main groups right now:

the stuff posed on and around my modulars and other displayed sets.

a bunch just kind of thrown in a small bucket

a bunch sealed away in plastic bins

the batman minifgs i just got last week standing on my dinner table.

with odds and ends from less interesting sets languishing in the same storage as said sets.

it's a pretty good system.

but for real we need to organize our nerd-toys in the rancour household.

papluh

Someone locally is selling the 42055 excavator at a steep discount. Very tempted. Anyone own the set?

Depends on what kind of Technic builder/collector you are.

The A model is big, the biggest Technic set for now. It is nice to build, but can be challenging. The torque transfer path from back of the arm to the wheel is quite long and even small deviations can increase the friction to the point that motion is not constant. It is easier to fix than the Porsche gearbox thou :D
If you have additional PF components, there is enough space to skip the gearbox and go with individual control.

B model is also quite unique. Although the mechanism is quite simple and hard to upgrade to sort more than 2 shapes.

Already on catalogue price it is a massive Technic parts pack, with discounts like >30% it is even better.
There is lot of the bigger panels and such. So if you are looking for parts for example to build trailers for other Technic trucks there you go. Or a GBC starter kit (threads, buckets)

I'll try to snipe myself a set or two on sale, just for the parts...

Ponn

Banned
My uverse went down last night (like 2 minutes into Walking Dead, great timing ATT) so I didn't get to post pics last night from my Amazon box that came surprisingly yesterday full of lego goodies.

Finally got delayed LBM Dimensions set

Will probably build the Dimensions set first than the easy peasy Ms. Marvel set. Want that Ms. Marvel fig out and hanging around. Got the one Baby Groot set with Yondu preordered, for some reason they have it for the 1st. Was going to get the Phantom but decided to wait for a price drop on it. Same for the Y-Wing.

My uverse went down last night (like 2 minutes into Walking Dead, great timing ATT) so I didn't get to post pics last night from my Amazon box that came surprisingly yesterday full of lego goodies.

Finally got delayed LBM Dimensions set

Will probably build the Dimensions set first than the easy peasy Ms. Marvel set. Want that Ms. Marvel fig out and hanging around. Got the one Baby Groot set with Yondu preordered, for some reason they have it for the 1st. Was going to get the Phantom but decided to wait for a price drop on it. Same for the Y-Wing.

Ugh why is Mantis white?

Ugh why is Mantis white?

It disturbs me since a toy figure set that got revealed has everyone with their MCU colors but sticks in Adam Warlock/Magus with his awesome gold and white skin colors(and Death's Head II but he would fit in the MCU as is). He looks weird next to the other boring ones.

Depends on what kind of Technic builder/collector you are.

The A model is big, the biggest Technic set for now. It is nice to build, but can be challenging. The torque transfer path from back of the arm to the wheel is quite long and even small deviations can increase the friction to the point that motion is not constant. It is easier to fix than the Porsche gearbox thou :D
If you have additional PF components, there is enough space to skip the gearbox and go with individual control.

B model is also quite unique. Although the mechanism is quite simple and hard to upgrade to sort more than 2 shapes.

Already on catalogue price it is a massive Technic parts pack, with discounts like >30% it is even better.
There is lot of the bigger panels and such. So if you are looking for parts for example to build trailers for other Technic trucks there you go. Or a GBC starter kit (threads, buckets)

I'll try to snipe myself a set or two on sale, just for the parts...

Awesome, thanks! I do like the really complicated builds. I think I will get it if I can talk him down to the ~$200 range.

wetwired

Tell me about it. My Trico also pretty much stopped. I don't know how successful projects do it. Are they just shamelessly spamming relevant channels? I don't want to get banned here and I don't want to annoy Shu by reposting the thing on Twitter.

The ones that reached 10k were all self perpetuating. I posted the idea, made a video and shared that. The rest just kind of followed naturally with little input from me. It went "viral" so to speak.

I don't have much hope for the Autumn Park based on previous experience and how much it's stagnated. I guess it'll go on the pile of all the other original creations I made for ideas that never went anywhere. Every single IP based one reached 10k (apart from X-files which wasn't allowed on there)

Bii

Went and bought some Lego Batman blind bags. Here's what I thought I felt:

Lobster-Lovin Batman
Clan of the Cave Batman
The Calculator
Fairy Batman
Barbara Gordon

And here's what I actually got:

Orca
Clan of the Cave Batman
The Calculator
March Harriet
The Joker

2 out of 5. I forgot that the Joker had cuffs so I thought I was getting Barbara. And I mistaken Fairy Batman's wings for March Harriet's bunny ears. And Orca...I thought I felt the tail end of a lobster but it must have been Orca's fin. :/ But hey, at least they're all different!

Ponn

Banned
Went and bought some Lego Batman blind bags. Here's what I thought I felt:

Lobster-Lovin Batman
Clan of the Cave Batman
The Calculator
Fairy Batman
Barbara Gordon

And here's what I actually got:

Orca
Clan of the Cave Batman
The Calculator
March Harriet
The Joker

2 out of 5. I forgot that the Joker had cuffs so I thought I was getting Barbara. And I mistaken Fairy Batman's wings for March Harriet's bunny ears. And Orca...I thought I felt the tail end of a lobster but it must have been Orca's fin. :/ But hey, at least they're all different!

I'm sorry you had some bad feels in that pull but you have to admit opening up a blind bag and getting that joker with that face would be fitting for disappointment.

So here's a bit of a photo dump, put together all new wave of Dimensions and worked in the Ms. Marvel set while huge freaking Dimensions patch downloaded.

Lets start with the Cap set.
She's SO happy! Love how the tubing can pulled one side to the other for some variance. Really wish they could have used some posable tubing though, something that could hold a position for better posing. Either way I really want a Mr. Fantastic now.
You know I really like this fig. I mean the print isn't great and nothing on the inside head but I really like that helmet. Those new hand blast pieces though...hmm...HMMM...love em!
SHORYUKEN!
Top Gun cap. or Hal "Cap" Jordan. I don't know, its nice to get variants but i don't know where the hell this came from. I wish it didn't have the Cap print on the torso so I could use it to make a Hal Jordan fig.
See you later space cowboy...Build is okay, kinda neat little jet. Again, I just don't get this set as a comic fan but I guess kids might like the jet build.
LBM Story pack build. Figs are pretty common now if you are getting the regular sets. Whenever I get around to building the Batcave I will work it into that build.
I'm Batman! Just a little less dark. The horse build was pretty interesting for the small amount of pieces. Some very useful and unique pieces in this fun pack. And come on, look at that Batman in armor. The only thing I might have changed was putting a bat symbol in that flat stud piece on the sword of omens.
Yea, look, we all know this fun pack was going to be awesome. My only disappointment was the voice actors, I know i know, it sucks not getting Val Kilmer as the voice of KITT. And yes, when you are riding in KITT he makes the "whir whir" sound. I laughed when I took Michael off the pad and his quote was "Quick, I gotta find a mirror!"
Bonus! Iron Fist Michael Knight.

Andrin

Just finished the Detroit Steel set. Pretty solid set for the money.

The mech is reminiscent of the Hulkbuster, but not as good. And Lola is a fun little car with some cool SNOT work going on in it as well.

The best way to sum up the build, figures, and set itself?
Solid, if unspectacular. There is really nothing bad about any of it, but nothing that immediately jumps out as fantastic to make it an absolute much purchase.

Basically, you can't go wrong buying it, but don't go out of your way to get it.

So it's Agent Coulson in LEGO form then ;)

Has anyone mentioned that we'll apparently get a minidoll version of the Flash in one of the new DC Heroine sets? I haven't seen it mentioned so far, and the minidoll does look pretty decent.

wetwired

What is the easiest way to convert key-rings into minifigs?

If you have a soldering iron, just loop the chain ring around the iron and hold the minifig with your hands, eventually the chain will get hot and soften the plastic where it joins and you can pull it off. don't touch the chain though obviously.

I haven't actually done it myself but I remember seeing a video ages ago

EDIT> As with every other time I youtube how to do something, it's an 8 year old telling me how link

If you have a soldering iron, just loop the chain ring around the iron and hold the minifig with your hands, eventually the chain will get hot and soften the plastic where it joins and you can pull it off. don't touch the chain though obviously.

I haven't actually done it myself but I remember seeing a video ages ago

EDIT> As with every other time I youtube how to do something, it's an 8 year old telling me how link

This method works really well-I have done it a few times. Considering the cowl I question is super common it will be easy to replace.

Wish we got that keychain in Canada!

What is the easiest way to convert key-rings into minifigs?

I've done it a lot to convert several Keychain minifig hulks. As mentioned above, soldering iron is the best method. If don't have one, I saw a video where a guy heated the chain over a candle to the same effect. You'll want to replace the cowl of course with one without a hole.

I'm not a big fan of kiss kiss Batman minifig, but the completionist in me wants it. Hopefully they become available at LEGO stores or in more retail outlets here in the U.S.

EDIT: Nearly $20 in North America Bricklink market. No thanks for that price.

Bii

I'm sorry you had some bad feels in that pull but you have to admit opening up a blind bag and getting that joker with that face would be fitting for disappointment.

It's not a bad pull by any means as it was my first time buying the LEGO Batman minifig series. As long as they were all different, I was okay with it. Now I just have to be careful with the next 15 as I do not want doubles.

Toys R Us is having a good sale

you can get the brand new y-wing for 47.99 and a lot of other deals

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=107531786

scroll through and look for the ones on sale

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index...axonomy&sr=1&origkw=lego+star+wars&fd=&page=1

I do LOVE me a Y-Wing, but I already have the one from 2012. I do want this one to see how different it is, but I know deep down it is just a parts pack.
I think I will wait for an UCS rehash before buying this ship again. Although, the new one does look really, really nice.

mrkgoo

Got this little guy for the MOC-contest.

Before getting it, I didn't think much of the build from the box, but after making it, has some nice sculpting to the body and has some real personality to him! Not worth the full price of NZ$40, so glad I got it on special. Seems like Lego is getting pricier every year here.

Tried a first attempt at a MOC:

As someone mentioned in the doc thread, seems like a pretty tough selection of pieces, so will be a fun challenge! I do wish it came with two wheels and not just one though.

I love this blue/azure colour! I wish the VW beetle were here already...

Got this little guy for the MOC-contest.

Before getting it, I didn't think much of the build from the box, but after making it, has some nice sculpting to the body and has some real personality to him! Not worth the full price of NZ$40, so glad I got it on special. Seems like Lego is getting pricier every year here.

Tried a first attempt at a MOC:

As someone mentioned in the doc thread, seems like a pretty tough selection of pieces, so will be a fun challenge! I do wish it came with two wheels and not just one though.

I love this blue/azure colour! I wish the VW beetle were here already...
That train is brilliant. Using the treads as tracks is so clever.

DonShula

So my kids love the Brickheadz. They are the perfect size for collecting and the degree of difficulty is just right for them. They're also, in Lego terms, dirt cheap, so the kids have a chance to collect all of them. My son is already complaining that there isn't a Spider-Man version.

With double points coming up March 6-16, I think it's going to be time to open Pandora's box of modulars. Palace Cinema is the oldest one out now, right? May as well start with the most likely to be retired...

So my kids love the Brickheadz. They are the perfect size for collecting and the degree of difficulty is just right for them. They're also, in Lego terms, dirt cheap, so the kids have a chance to collect all of them. My son is already complaining that there isn't a Spider-Man version.

With double points coming up March 6-16, I think it's going to be time to open Pandora's box of modulars. Palace Cinema is the oldest one out now, right? May as well start with the most likely to be retired...

Yes and no. Parisian Restaurant is just as likely to be retired first, due to parts inventories. And it's probably the best Lego set in the last five years, so you really should grab that first.

Top Bottom