• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Watch: Siglemic to reclaim 120 stars World Record [NEW WR. Your turn, Nero.]

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
doing a run on usa version right now

doing runs on usa version for now would rather sacrifice a few seconds instead of keep having to reset due to glitch.

apana

Why doesn't he just play the levels that cause him trouble before embarking on a new run? Would that throw off his rhythm?

Parallacs

Poor guy. I just started watching before his latest reset on Bowser 1.

Is he playing with N64 controllers? If so, he must have a stock of a hundred of them with how brutal the movement in Mario is.

Orayn

He switched to English version? Wow. Sig taking on the World Record with a handicap?

Not as much of a handicap as those crashes.

And yeah, Sig uses stock N64 controllers. Apparently he retires/replaces the entire unit instead of just doing analog stick replacements.

Why doesn't he just play the levels that cause him trouble before embarking on a new run? Would that throw off his rhythm?

I imagine he can effortlessly go for any star on its own. The problem is just having to plow through all of them at once. "Practicing" does no good when the hard part is the marathon.

I still can't get over how he finishes the Koopa race, goes all the way back down the mountain, starts the cannon, and gets back to the top a second time BEFORE the Koopa even gets there.

Crazy how good he is at this.

apana

I imagine he can effortlessly go for any star on its own. The problem is just having to plow through all of them at once. "Practicing" does no good when the hard part is the marathon.

No I just meant in terms of figuring out how to avoid the glitch he was encountering.

I can't over how great the level of interaction is in a game that's like 16 years old. It's not like you're some floating camera like in the FPSes of the time. You have such an impressive degree of control over what he does in the world, the stuff this siglemic guy does really demonstrates it. We really haven't even moved beyond it. Everything a 3D avatar needs to do is right here.

apana

Yeah Super Mario 64 is in my top ten games of all time. We really need a Super Mario 128 or at least a few of these exploration style worlds back. A Super Mario Universe which could be a combination of the best ideas/worlds from Galaxy, 64, 3D Land, and whatever new ideas they have been cooking up for Wii U would be cool.

Fake Edit: What was his best run so far in these past 3 days? At least he is failing mostly before 40 stars, I can't imagine what it will be like at 80 stars.

Watching that stream is one of the most depressing things I have ever seen.

Why? I realize it can be frustrating but greatness comes at great costs or something. The fact that he is talking while doing the run makes it all the more fun to watch aside from the impressive display of skills. I even like the stupid chat comments.

Yeah Super Mario 64 is in my top ten games of all time. We really need a Super Mario 128 or at least a few of these exploration style worlds back. A Super Mario Universe which could be a combination of the best ideas/worlds from Galaxy, 64, 3D Land, and whatever new ideas they have been cooking up for Wii U would be cool.

I agree. I was trying to think of something to play or get in the most recent generation and nothing really comes even close to SM64. The hub world collectathon 3D platformers died out during the PS2 generation. It's sad, really, because there's so much you could do with this world again if they went back to it, or somebody else went with a similar idea. From having different size paintings for Tiny Huge Island, to what time you go in affecting the speed of the hands in Tick Tock Clock, to where you enter the painting of Wet Dry World affecting the water level...I dunno. As good as Galaxy was, I'd love a direct SM64 sequel in the same style.

I still can't get over how he finishes the Koopa race, goes all the way back down the mountain, starts the cannon, and gets back to the top a second time BEFORE the Koopa even gets there.

Crazy how good he is at this.
What is the point of this anyways? Is he just saving the time it would take to talk to the pink bomb omb guy on another star?

Why? I realize it can be frustrating but greatness comes at great costs or something. The fact that he is talking while doing the run makes it all the more fun to watch aside from the impressive display of skills. I even like the stupid chat comments.

Agreed. I think it's amazing to see someone who is truly great at one thing. The fact that the thing is Mario 64 is awesome. Also, Sig has a good sense of humor about it (even failing), and the chat is fun in its own absurd way.

I love watching Sig go down the slide and having the chat go crazy trying to predict his time: "12.7" "12.8" "13.3" "12.9" A million guesses pop up. Then Sig gets 13.2 seconds and everyone tells him to reset immediately. It's hilarious, and it functions as a fun community when people aren't spamming the smilies.

Javier

What is the point of this anyways? Is he just saving the time it would take to talk to the pink bomb omb guy on another star?
Yeah, he does so the cannon is active for the future stars without talking to the Bob-Omb. He can't get the Star until Koopa the Quick arrives at the top anyway, so he might use the time for something productive.

I hate every Sly game. I imagine I could have liked the first game somewhat had I played it when it originally came out, but when I recently played the HD collection it was astonishing to watch these games get progressively worse. Didn't even finish Sly 3 because of how bad it was.

Grinchy

Banned
I hate every Sly game. I imagine I could have liked the first game somewhat had I played it when it originally came out, but when I recently played the HD collection it was astonishing to watch these games get progressively worse. Didn't even finish Sly 3 because of how bad it was.

I really liked Sly 1 at first. I got to the last world and only had a few trophies left for the platinum, yet I still didn't even bother finishing it. I just got bored of the formula very fast. I have read all about how the first one is the best, so I knew I wouldn't want to bother with the others. I sold the game back for more than I initially paid.

El_Victor

Stream is back!

More runs, more heartbreaking drama. He has -- once again -- switched from the US version to the Japanese one. (He has figured out the glitch that ruined two good runs last night.)

Let's do this.

DaBuddaDa

I was watching this a couple of evenings ago, and he was destroying the record. He was getting -10, -15, -20 times on the checkpoints. I assume that was the run that ended up crashing?

Jokab

Oh cool, he's finally doing "commentary" again. Been a while since I saw him do that.

Missed all the "I'm soooo baaaaaaad".

EDIT: Or is he?
EDIT 2: He is!

apana

Someone make me a cup of coffee, we are gonna be here a while.

Sig is my waifu

zVOiS.jpg

Sig is pretty cute.

apana

He seems to have a hard time with Bowser. He is a little too quick to let go right? Spinning would only cost him an extra second at most whereas these encounters are leading to resets.

jman2050

I think, assuming no major mistakes otherwise in his average run, the only thing stopping Sig from a world record is a good Rainbow Ride.

Sordid

Am I remembering right that Sig's personal best up to Rainbow Ride is faster than the record? If so the fact that he's making up time beforehand can only be good.

Edit: Beaten while typing :lol

Top Bottom