• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBT gets a new flag - reinventing the visible light spectrum

FyreWulff

Lets just do everything

color-1024x768.png

this will only costs 2799$ to print at Kinko's

Foffy

Banned
It seems tacky and just stomping the colors on top doesn't seem to match the "flow" that the rainbow band does.

Having one color on top and the other on bottom would probably help fit the symbolism of the flag as something of unity than it coming off as New LGBT to beat old LGBT.

Aiii

So not worth it
The rainbow flag already represented every human being, regardless of color, sex, or sexual orientation. Changing it feels like going against the spirit of the flag and movement.

people of color should feel just as included in the original flag as anyone else, without needing to adapt it.

mr2xxx

Banned
If black and brown represent the Black and Hispanic communities that have been forgotten in terms of LGBT representation...Does that mean that red and yellow represent the native American and Asian communities? Do these communities even want to be represented by those colors, if not what color?

Ri'Orius

Cool.

As with many things, White was already there implicitly. It's the sum of all the other colors.

By that logic wasn't brown in there already, too? I've never been great with colors, but I'm pretty sure some combination of the others will give you brown.

I don't know. I feel the flag already represents all races, because it's implying a rainbow of people. Unless it specifically represented European white LGBT people.
It's already the most inclusive flag.

Sai-kun

Banned
I don't like it. The old flag is so iconic and integrated in our community and this will only further ostracize POC from the LGBT community. Do more to make POC feel welcome in the community instead of adding brown and black to a flag

non poc are mostly who ostracize poc from the community, not a symbolic flag.

this is cool. and made by queer poc so it doesn't feel patronizing to me.

Xe4

Banned
By that logic wasn't brown in there already, too? I've never been great with colors, but I'm pretty sure some combination of the others will give you brown.

Brown is a mix of green and red light. Technically black is the only color that is not possible in the electromagnetic spectrum because black is an absence of visible light. You won't see brown light in a rainbow because the refraction is so much that red and green have no ability to mix.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Okay, but if that is the logic than more than one particular "color" is missing.

I know this comment will be unpopular and Eurogaf here, but the logic should be logic.

So you're just going to post this and leave without explaining it?

DrSlek

The rainbow flag already represented every human being, regardless of color, sex, or sexual orientation. Changing it feels like going against the spirit of the flag and movement.

Colored people should feel just as included in the original flag as anyone else, without needing to adapt it.

Whoa there, buddy!

Xe4

Banned
Black hole, swallowing everything?

Kind of dark when you think of it. Maybe that should be the universe's flag since that is likely going to be the fate of matter in the far off future. Either floating around in nothingness or eaten by a black hole.

Drencrom

Looks really bad tbh, it's not even a rainbow now

Also, isn't the rainbow supposed to represent diversity in the first place eitherway and not litterally have the colors represent people?

TTOOLL

No, it doesn't make sense at all actually.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a brown, gay man. There is much to be said about how people of color are treated in the LGBT community. That is, not particularly well; there is a clear higharchy: whites at the top, blacks at the bottom and everyone else in between. I do believe this needs to be tackled, and that it often gets swept under the rug.

I do not like this new flag however. In fact, I might just actively hate it. The first reason is a bit shallow: its ugly. You have the rainbow.... and then black and brown. It doesn't fit and it doesn't really look nice.

The second, more important reason is that the pride flag does not explicitly include ethnicites and thats the point. Its supposed to be a sign of welcome for everyone. This betrays that completely. By adding black and brown, they are taking away from that underlying theme.

What about Asians (Which itself is a group of a wide range of unique cultures) ? What about Latinos? First Nations? Shouldn't they get representation here too? Thats the problem this flag introduces, and its a problem the original avoids by design. The original flag implicitly includes everyone by explicitly including no one. This flag explicitly includes only two groups and therefore explicitly excludes everyone who doesn't get their own color. I see this as leading to quite the slippery slope where everyone else needs their own color on one flag and suddenly we have just as many colors as we have in the LGBT*.... acronym (which is to say, a lot).

Different ethnic groups are not supposed to have their own color on the flag because it betrays the point of the flag, which is to unify. This divides. This reminds us how fractured the LGBT community is. Now, maybe to some thats a good thing. It shows people how far we have to go. But that turns it into a symbol of negativity, wheres its supposed to by a symbol of happiness and well, pride.

This. It feels like scraps. Like "Ok, sure if you insist, you can have your own special place on the flag, separate from the rest of us"

Very well said.

bebop242

Looks really bad tbh, it's not even a rainbow now

Also, isn't the rainbow supposed to represent diversity in the first place eitherway and not litterally have the colors represent people?

That's my thought as well. This doesn't make sense to me.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like it.

Gay Russian, gay Asian, gay Australian: gay is gay. There's a flag for that already.

Xe4

Banned
My apologies, I am not American or a native English speaker, my apologies, I guess it should be people of color, then? Mea culpa.

In America, black people are just called black. People of color kind of has a bit of negative history, I think. It's not the biggest deal.

Anyways, you didn't know better, no harm no foul. I had to be corrected a few times as well.

Technically black should be the only colour on the flag, since it is made up of every pigment.
If it's a rainbow flag, it should technically be possible to put only white on the flag, but black should not be on there. It's a silly argument anyhow. It's a flag, color it however the fuck you want.

DrSlek

In America, black people are just called black. People of color kind of has a bit of negative history, I think. It's not the biggest deal.

Anyways, you didn't know better, no harm no foul. I had to be corrected a few times as well.

"Coloured people" has the negative history, but "People of colour" is apparently the accepted vernacular nowadays...I think.

I'm probably wrong.

Seems like they are mixing messages. The original flag includes everyone already. Might be more effective to come up with a brand new symbol to represent their cause.

Javier23

Banned
If the flag has an international vocation, and it certainly does, how does it exactly make sense in countries where black and brown people actually make up the ethnic majority?

I guess the purpose is noble, but it only really makes sense within the USA if the message is for minority inclusion.

I do not want to sound ignorant by echoing exactly what she says about white people in the article, but I really thought the original flag is meant to be inclusive towards everybody regardless of their race, gender, and sexual orientation.

Seems like they are mixing messages. The original flag includes everyone already. Might be more effective to come up with a brand new symbol to represent their cause.

It fits their message perfectly. Everyones noticing the black and brown. Whether you like it or hate it, youre paying attentioj to it. They're trying to talk about visibility of people of color. I don't think they intended it to be a symbol for the entire community.

KillLaCam

Banned
This is pretty stupid. Isnt the point of the rainbow flag to say that it includes everyone under the rainbow. Everyone already means everyone.

But if thats not the point then I think its a good design

Top Bottom