• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

ss_lemonade

Also is it just me or does 3840x2160 not look as good as other games downsampled from that resolution?

No one else with this problem? I tried taking screenshots at both 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 for comparison and while there's definitely a difference between the 2, the 4k shot seems to add even more aliasing in places

3840x2160
lrff13_2015_12_26_01_mhb0j.png

1920x1080

No one else with this problem? I tried taking screenshots at both 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 for comparison and while there's definitely a difference between the 2, the 4k shot seems to add even more aliasing in places

3840x2160

1920x1080

If you have scaling set to advanced, put it on normal. It screws up the image and gave me loads of aliasing even at a 4K downsample

BONKERS

3840x2160

1920x1080
Bad scaling.

Ugh. Only had 3 crashes in 24 hours, all in the same area (the temple in the desert). Unfortunately, one of them happened right after a 10-minute fight.

Other than that; the game's structure is odd. At the end of day 3, I'd done 3 main quests and reached the boss of a 4th (who is too hard at the moment), with about 30 side quests done.

L.O.R.D

so , finished most bosses
defeat
caius
but when i returned to the ark it didn't trigger any extra information from hope

also , found all dajh soul , and returned it to him

found the clavic and
they took it from us

now what ? i don't plan to finish all side missions , i started to get burned off

also , there someone on in yusnaan , a seer i suppose
i failed to go to him , and it seems i failed the mission
what should i do ?

If you have scaling set to advanced, put it on normal. It screws up the image and gave me loads of aliasing even at a 4K downsample

Should advanced scaling ever be enabled? Does it work better if you're scaling up (from rendering 1080p to a 2K monitor for example)? Seems super weird to have the option that sounds more demanding of hardware make the game look worse.

Toth

so , finished most bosses
defeat
caius
but when i returned to the ark it didn't trigger any extra information from hope

also , found all dajh soul , and returned it to him

found the clavic and
they took it from us

now what ? i don't plan to finish all side missions , i started to get burned off

also , there someone on in yusnaan , a seer i suppose
i failed to go to him , and it seems i failed the mission
what should i do ?

You need to finish the Shadow Hunter and Yusnaan questlines before triggering the endgame.

edit: not starting the endgame, my mistake, but allowing it to happen when the last day passes.

I seriously believe this is the worst game of the trilogy, when that first stealth mission started I could barely believe how janky it was, and the whole messy subquest and mission design system that it was created by monkeys.

Truly Toriyama might be able to release games on a 2 year old schedule but damn if he's otherwise a shitty director and writter.

I'll try some other time with a guide, finish it as quickly as possible and be done with this cursed trilogy. Meanwhile I'm gonna enjoy a good JRPG (Trails in the sky).

L.O.R.D

You need to finish the Shadow Hunter and Yusnaan questlines before triggering the endgame.

edit: not starting the endgame, my mistake, but allowing it to happen when the last day passes.

Shadow Hunter ? already defeat
noel
also , finished all the mission on Yusnaan except the side mission
should i let the clock pass and go to sleep all day ?

Celegus

Hrm... just built a new PC and this is really chugging. It does 60fps on menus, but in the field/battles is like 20-30. Shouldn't I be fine to hit 60fps at 1920x1080? Don't even have any of the advanced options turned on. This is my setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ Mac Mall)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $856.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-27 19:45 EST-0500

The systems in this game are kind of bizarre.

The time thing doesn't really matter if you use Chronostasis well: I'd done all of the main quests by around day 5-6, as well as about 50 each of the side quests and prayers.

You can only level up your stats by completing quests, so you'd think that by having done most of the game's quests I'd be crushing everything, which, while absolutely true at day 5-6 (except Caius), suddenly stops being true.

Frankly, I'm not sure how to progress: I skipped a bunch of days (inn, rest until 6AM, repeat), and was suddenly struggling. The end boss is obviously going to be an absolute nightmare.

I still have earlier saves, of course, so it's trivial to go back to an earlier day. Even then, I guess all I could do is gather materials to improve abilities, and try to locate better equipment.

It's just unusual that you can't exactly overlevel yourself because the game inherently caps your specs with the way points are earned.

I have played too much of this game in the last few days and was really hoping to finish it before the New Year. I really don't think that's going to happen now that I've seen how comparatively tough the last section is.

tl;dr: Probably keep doin' stuff even after beating most of the quests?

Falk

that puzzling face
Are you on Normal? The spike is pretty much part of the game, and as you noted most of the power level comes from doing quests/requests, so things plateau off. If you're at >50 of each, you -should- be fine.

If you have the garb with Artemis Arrow, you -should- be even more fine. Without spoiling, there are other things you can obtain at endgame that increase stats quite a bit.

I'd recommend you just make a separate save and go for it. You never know till you try. Worst case, then can decide if you need to beef up abilities a little more. Best case you beat the game and save yourself a bunch of grinding.

Just be sure to have a ton of pots before you go past the point of no return.

Widge

Hrm... just built a new PC and this is really chugging. It does 60fps on menus, but in the field/battles is like 20-30. Shouldn't I be fine to hit 60fps at 1920x1080? Don't even have any of the advanced options turned on. This is my setup:

Not sure if it helps for this game but I had to do a fresh boot every time I played original FFXIII. Once I did that, I had flawless speeds. Outside of that, it was a toss of a coin whether or not the game would dive through the sludge. ALT tabbing also could kill performance requiring a reboot.

Durante

They are. I enjoy it since it's so unusual.

The difficulty curve is also bizarre, probably as a function of the time-dependent nature of spawns and the open world. I ran into random encounters on the way to early main quest points that I had absolutely no way to beat.

L.O.R.D

finished all side quest except from one that i failed to come at the right time.

also , a good story in the side quest for detective light.

now , what should i do , the board of side quest doesn't have any new quest.

do i have to go to somewhere ? or should wait for the last day for
vanille ritual
?

Adaren

finished all side quest except from one that i failed to come at the right time.

also , a good story in the side quest for detective light.

now , what should i do , the board of side quest doesn't have any new quest.

do i have to go to somewhere ? or should wait for the last day for
vanille ritual
?

If you've finished all the sidequests you want to finish and bought everything from the shops, feel free to nap until the apocalypse comes!

The only thing special about the final days of the world is the
super dungeon, which is accessible on the second-to-last-day if I remember correctly

L.O.R.D

If you've finished all the sidequests you want to finish and bought everything from the shops, feel free to nap until the apocalypse comes!

The only thing special about the final days of the world is the
super dungeon, which is accessible on the second-to-last-day if I remember correctly
Hmm, I think i bought everything that i can, is there a hidden shops?

Also just discovered that I can upgrade my weapons, but now i can't, maybe i need item like something silver or gold, where i can find those? Not the nedals.

Also, i went to the ark twice and didn't see any cutscene or sending
souls to the flower
, is that normal?

Vex_

Banned

The time thing doesn't really matter if you use Chronostasis well: I'd done all of the main quests by around day 5-6, as well as about 50 each of the side quests and prayers.

You can only level up your stats by completing quests, so you'd think that by having done most of the game's quests I'd be crushing everything, which, while absolutely true at day 5-6 (except Caius), suddenly stops being true.

Frankly, I'm not sure how to progress: I skipped a bunch of days (inn, rest until 6AM, repeat), and was suddenly struggling. The end boss is obviously going to be an absolute nightmare.

I still have earlier saves, of course, so it's trivial to go back to an earlier day. Even then, I guess all I could do is gather materials to improve abilities, and try to locate better equipment.

It's just unusual that you can't exactly overlevel yourself because the game inherently caps your specs with the way points are earned.

I have played too much of this game in the last few days and was really hoping to finish it before the New Year. I really don't think that's going to happen now that I've seen how comparatively tough the last section is.

Thanks for this post. You probably just saved me a playthrough. I can't stand sudden difficulty bumps like that. Especially since you have done so many fetch quests to get to where you are now.

Shame too, I was liking the game until I started sensing what your post just fully confirmed.

Jisgsaw

Thanks for this post. You probably just saved me a playthrough. I can't stand sudden difficulty bumps like that. Especially since you have done so many fetch quests to get to where you are now.

Shame too, I was liking the game until I started sensing what your post just fully confirmed.

Iirc, enemies get stronger each day, just as you're supposed to.
You really have to somewhat master the awesome gameplay.

Yea I messed up as well. Spammed Chronostasis and beat the main quests and most of the side quests at day 5. Was getting bored doing fetch quests so I skipped to the final day and now I'm too weak to fight anything. And theres no proper levelling system so I can't even rubber band back up by fighting monsters I can barely handle.

L.O.R.D

You mean during Overclock? That's Army of One, you can use it after Day 8 starts. First enter Overclock (L2/LT) and then press L2/LT once more while Overclock is active to trigger Army of One (which will consume 1 EP).

oh , thanks
what the other move when she throw explosion fire bomb to the sky ?

the japanese movie is very good.

Kazdane

oh , thanks
what the other move when she throw explosion fire bomb to the sky ?

the japanese movie is very good.

That's
Flare
and I'm confused about that one, because as far as I know you can only get it on the
Final Dungeon (on normal mode) and from Caius and the Astral Lord garb on Hard Mode, although, to be honest, he may be fighting Snow++ on Hard Mode, as I can't remember any ways right now to have Lightning with 15k+ hp on the first playthrough

Zafir

I didn't actually find the last section that difficult, but by that point I'd done everything, including all the sidequests.

That all said, more than stats, I feel like schemata are the most important. Keeping those up to date and making a good build with those is pretty important.

Edit: For one I remember there was a rare shop that would show up in Snows city, he was hanging round near the big gates before the square/house, and I bought some nice stuff from him.

Goli

Yea I messed up as well. Spammed Chronostasis and beat the main quests and most of the side quests at day 5. Was getting bored doing fetch quests so I skipped to the final day and now I'm too weak to fight anything. And theres no proper levelling system so I can't even rubber band back up by fighting monsters I can barely handle.

You can try skipping past most encounters, lose to the last boss and start over, IIRC that way you get a 'bad ending' but can keep a bunch of things you've earned so far in your play through.

Kazdane

You can try skipping past most encounters, lose to the last boss and start over, IIRC that way you get a 'bad ending' but can keep a bunch of things you've earned so far in your play through.

You don't even need to lose to the last boss. There's a device in the final area before the boss that will let you start over carrying everything with you (everything that carries over to a new game+, of course, although you won't unlock hard mode).

L.O.R.D

NOOOO
after soo long , i defeated the desert super
dragon
and in the way back the game crashed and i didn't save.

FML

I'd suggest that if there's a lesson to learn from my post, it's don't worry about the time stuff aaaaaaaat all. Like, I was bumping Chronostasis non-stop (the first few days took like 15, 16 hours realtime) but frankly if you're going to be killing enemies for quests, you might as well be doing so on later days, when their drops are better.

Realistically, the difficulty bump probably won't feel anywhere near as strong after I go ahead and actually fight a bunch of enemies on later days instead of skipping a bunch.

Also yeah, schemata are super important.

L.O.R.D

ummm , WTF just happened ?
in the six day , suddenly 1 day left and i already finished all main and side quest expect for one i failed and the angle tear
2 days ago there is writing "6 day till the end"

don't know what happened

when i returned to the ark , it's game over and started new game +

all side quest are gone , i can't believe it

i still have the save 2 days before the end.

what i suppose to do in the final day ?

velociraptor

This is a silly question but seeing as the games are fairly cheap on Steam I have to ask - what is the combat like in FF13?

I don't know what the difference between FF13, FF13-2 and Lightning Returns is in terms of gameplay except the fact they're sequels.

I'm a fan of Action RPGs like Mass Effect.

Will I like FF? What is the combat like?

Neoweee

This is a silly question but seeing as the games are fairly cheap on Steam I have to ask - what is the combat like in FF13?

I don't know what the difference between FF13, FF13-2 and Lightning Returns is in terms of gameplay except the fact they're sequels.

I'm a fan of Action RPGs like Mass Effect.

Will I like FF? What is the combat like?

Combat is very, very weird.

In 13, you control one character out of your three person party. It is real time with an Ability Point meter that fills up. Instead of giving commands to your teammates, you switch "paradigms" on the fly which are loadouts of different classes for your characters, which will control their AI, etc. Combat is heavily based on Staggering enemies by repeatedly hitting weaknesses in quick succession.

13-2 changes it up by giving you two constant characters, and the third slot is filled with any number of monsters, caught ala pokemon, kind of? They change on the fly based on what paradigm you've set.

13-3 has you control one character, but you have three classes/loadouts set up, and each has its own ATB meter. You jump back and forth between classes in real time to do combos and "stagger" enemies.

velociraptor

Combat is very, very weird.

In 13, you control one character out of your three person party. It is real time with an Ability Point meter that fills up. Instead of giving commands to your teammates, you switch "paradigms" on the fly which are loadouts of different classes for your characters, which will control their AI, etc. Combat is heavily based on Staggering enemies by repeatedly hitting weaknesses in quick succession.

13-2 changes it up by giving you two constant characters, and the third slot is filled with any number of monsters, caught ala pokemon, kind of? They change on the fly based on what paradigm you've set.

13-3 has you control one character, but you have three classes/loadouts set up, and each has its own ATB meter. You jump back and forth between classes in real time to do combos and "stagger" enemies.
Am I in control or is it turned based?

BadWolf

Is it okay to go into LR blind or is it best to read up on some tips to enjoy the game properly?

Are these games any good? Should all three be played or can I skip the first?

I just started LR but XIII and XIII-2 are definitely worth playing imo, loved them.

All three are part of one story.

Are these games any good? Should all three be played or can I skip the first?

I never finished FF13 (and don't remember much of what I did play) and never even played FF13-2 at all, but I still managed to enjoy this one quite a bit.

The game will periodically catch you up on what happened in the past along with what the characters have been up to, at least to some extent, so you won't be completely in the dark.

Top Bottom