• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I snagged this the other day when it was on sale and it's been pretty fun. The mainstory dialogue is kind of painful (mostly just lumina and lightning's interactions) but the side quests have been really solid honestly. I'm on day 4 I believe and I finished the first two main quests and now I'm doing the white chocobo stuff.

I activated the DLC just so I could have more options to play around with but I sort of regret it.

Not only is Cloud's stuff broken when enemies are staggered but summoner yuna is ABSOLUTEL INSANITY. Holy god it just evaporates enemies and what it doesnt evaporate just gets staggered.

My basic strategy is using the cyber suit + ghostly hood + guard glove + debuffing spells and my best guard to take hits while cloud / yuna recover AP.

There doesn't really seem to be anything that can survive this.

However I would like to stop using yuna and cloud's stuff so I ask of you guys. What are some good magic and physical damage schemata's that I can put together by this point?

I started this game last night and I'm so bummed out about it.

I think the customization and battle system are pretty neat.

Yet the story is approaching nonsensical status which makes me not care. The frame rate is awful and the graphics feel like a step down from the previous two games. The music is doing nothing for me so far. Now normally I could overlook all this since I enjoy the battle/customization. However this time-limit/missables aspect of the game is ruining it.

I didn’t get very far last night, up to the first city where I’m investigating a murder. The game is encouraging me to explore and investigate while the whole time a little timer is ticking down… I can’t deal with it. It’s making me anxious and I hate that feeling in games. I quit Valkyrie Profile for the same reason.

Mohasus

Yet the story is approaching nonsensical status which makes me not care. The frame rate is awful and the graphics feel like a step down from the previous two games. The music is doing nothing for me so far. Now normally I could overlook all this since I enjoy the battle/customization. However this time-limit/missables aspect of the game is ruining it.

There aren't missables in this game, you'll have way more time than you need. I just slept the last 5 or 6 days because there was nothing else to do.

Framerate tanks when loading a new area and you can skip cutscenes.

BadWolf

There aren't missables in this game, you'll have way more time than you need. I just slept the last 5 or 6 days because there was nothing else to do.

Yeah I was always worrying about the time but in the end was left with way more days than I needed.

Mihos

Gold Member

I didn’t get very far last night, up to the first city where I’m investigating a murder. The game is encouraging me to explore and investigate while the whole time a little timer is ticking down… I can’t deal with it. It’s making me anxious and I hate that feeling in games. I quit Valkyrie Profile for the same reason.

You can pretty much ignore the timer and there are no missables. I platinumed the game and the only thing I did on a second run was the upgrade achievements that don't unlock until the second play through.

I said missables because that first easy mission I did of walking the soldier 10 feet across plaza said it would expire. Is there a way to turn back time or something?

I want to enjoy this game so the encouragement helps.

Mihos

Gold Member
I said missables because that first easy mission I did of walking the soldier 10 feet across plaza said it would expire. Is there a way to turn back time or something?

I want to enjoy this game so the encouragement helps.

Without being overly spoilery... you can't do all the side missions in a single play through. Their purpose is so you can collect 'Eradia' and add extra days on to your timer.... if you do enough side missions, you get a secret bonus day and dungeon. There are way more side missions than you need to get that done... you can always go nuts with Chronostasis if you feel pressured. BTW, only quest received from people give eradia... the bulletin board ones just give items, except for the story related ones.

On your second and beyond playthrough, you get an hourglass that basically restarts time... comes in handy if you want to farm money since you can switch to 'hard', kill the cactuar to extinction, then reset and do it again.

Marow

So... I'm finished with the main quest with 6 days left thanks to Chronostasis. I've also done a lot of sidequests >__<'' What did everyone else spend their last few days on?

I love the game, though. It's absolutely fantastic, even. It could be more polished, naturally, but this type of game is right up my alley.

Mihos

Gold Member
So... I'm finished with the main quest with 6 days left thanks to Chronostasis. I've also done a lot of sidequests >__<'' What did everyone else spend their last few days on?

I love the game, though. It's absolutely fantastic, even. It could be more polished, naturally, but this type of game is right up my alley.

Kill everything to extinction!

There is a bonus day with a bonus dungeon with a secret boss at the end, each floor has the Last One of every monster in the game. If you kill them to extinction before you get there, the floor is empty and you can skip to the next. Since you can't use chronostatis there, you want as much pre-dead as possible before you get there if you want to take on the boss of that dungeon

vipermk2

Neo Member
Can someone please help me get back into this game? I recently started up playing this on my 360 again after giving up the game back in 2014. I think the problem was with one of the bosses in the Wildlands and entering the temple whilst my health constantly being drained and getting to the boss. I played it under the normal difficulty back then but I switched to easy mode now just so I can recover after each battle.
I am day two now and stopped at the Ark, can anyone recommend what order I should attempt each area? It feels like my first attempt was done incorrectly or I didnt get enough side missions done to boost exp or I didnt collect the right garbs.

Even bearing in mind what the OP says, I don't like time limits.

If I was to use cheat engine to remove the time limit, how much would it screw up the game? Still worth buying/playing?

If I was to use cheat engine to remove the time limit, how much would it screw up the game? Still worth buying/playing?

Several side quests appear at certain times of day. Not sure if removing the timer would just make them disappear, if they do, you'll still get enough stat boosts from the other quest to complete the game at least once.

but, the game needs to end each day to continue to the end part. So I don't know how that would work either.

naitosan

Agree about time limits but even with time limits you still have enough time to complete all quests. I did on PS3. Recently finished it again on PC using trainer to disable time limit. Just a bit of warning, game froze when loading from sleeping at inn or certain point of game. Just enable time limits, game will unfreeze and resume as normal. Not all quests become available in same day, some quests won't open until last few days. You might want to try and finish most quests as you can early since they unlock new quests next day or so. Use a walk through on quests, they'll tell you which quests show up on specific days.

I enjoyed the game, maybe a bit more than first two but I enjoyed altogether. So yes, buy it. :D

How's the PC performance on this game vs the PS3 version? Never finished the PS3 version, but thinking of buying it on PC and finishing it.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has been already answered, but I have two questions:
- Performance is abysmal on my rig. Every time I turn a corner or move the camera too fast, the FPS drop really hard, and it shouldn't be the case (i7-6700K, 32 GB RAM, 980). Is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust?
- The OP said to play the game on Normal, but I've seen a lot of reports where people said Easy would be better for a first playthrough. So for a guy who has completed every mainline FF so far, what would be a good difficulty setting?

Thank you!

Aru

- Performance is abysmal on my rig. Every time I turn a corner or move the camera too fast, the FPS drop really hard, and it shouldn't be the case (i7-6700K, 32 GB RAM, 980). Is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust?
- The OP said to play the game on Normal, but I've seen a lot of reports where people said Easy would be better for a first playthrough. So for a guy who has completed every mainline FF so far, what would be a good difficulty setting?

Thank you!

Lightning Returns is one, if not the most, difficult (mainline?) Final Fantasy game on Normal, but the challenge is just good. If you like some challenge, play on Normal.

Thank you!

Play it on easy first. The game is meant to be played several times over as a NG+. There are a LOT of features that are only unlocked once you do a NG+ so it makes more sense to run through it on easy mode, then play it on normal mode using the new features and customizations. There's a steep learning curve.

That being said, easy is not easy by any means. In terms of difficulty, I would say FF3 and FF4 are harder in unfair ways (0 to 60 difficulty spikes, tedious grinding of levels, unforgiving dungeons with no save points) but this game is definitely the most challenging game.

It's a little more challenging than the most challenging parts of FFX-2 because you need to be VERY quick on your feet and have split-second decision making.

Celegus

Thank you!

Were you ever able to fix the frame rate problems? I tried it again this weekend, and I'm still having the exact same issues. My rig isn't quite as beefy as yours, but it should still demolish the recommended specs. It's basically unplayable, was hoping maybe there'd be a patch by now.

Vic_Viper

Finished downloading last night and finally got a chance to play for a few hours today. Really enjoying the game so far, much better than I expected. My only complaints so far are with the PC port itself and not the game. Who the hell at Square thought it would be a good idea to hide all the graphic options in windowed mode lol.

Just getting started in the main game now after the tutorial and first mission where your doing some detective work and I have a few questions. I activated all the DLC stuff so I have a ton of Schemata to use, is there a good guide that explains which are the best combos of schema to use? And also is there a good guide explaining how the combat is best used?

Vic_Viper

How do I use the stop time Trainer/Cheat engine? I have it installed and opened while playing but pressing F7 doesnt seem to stop time. Is there a different version I should be using or does it need to be installed somewhere special?

Arthos

Decide to finally start this up but I don't have a gamepad!

For those who played with a keyboard - what control setup worked best for you? I'm still trying to figure one out but I have no idea what to bind anything to.

TheTux

Decide to finally start this up but I don't have a gamepad!

For those who played with a keyboard - what control setup worked best for you? I'm still trying to figure one out but I have no idea what to bind anything to.

I played with the keyboard and changed pretty much every key since the default one are more than stupid.

To put it simply: don't play the game with the keyboard, sorry.

Top Bottom