• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Bioshock demo is out on PSN EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
____ said:
Is it just me or is this thing taking an exceptionally long time to install? :(

WTF? This has NEVER happened.
If you have less space in the HDD it's normal that it takes longer (yes, even ALOT longer)

____

Metalmurphy said:
If you have less space in the HDD it's normal that it takes longer (yes, even ALOT longer)

Hmm..never realized that.

Knowing me, I'm almost full. I installed a 160GB HDD when I first got it (60gb launch), BUT i have downloaded just about every demo there is and haven't deleted one yet, plus 3 full length films, albums and albums of music and a few pictures. :lol

Good to know. Thanks ^_^

maxax

____ said:
Hmm..never realized that.

Knowing me, I'm almost full. I installed a 160GB HDD when I first got it (60gb launch), BUT i have downloaded just about every demo there is and haven't deleted one yet, plus 3 full length films, albums and albums of music and a few pictures. :lol

Good to know. Thanks ^_^
Installing also takes significantly longer while you're downlaoding in the background.
Considering Bioshock is a big install to begin with, it can take a while.
Pause your downloads while installing, you should see a difference.

StuBurns

Banned
Install took ages for me as well. It's the first time the install bar hasn't started as the install started. It took about 2 mins before the bar even appeared, crazy.

The game looks and runs identical. Maybe the water is better, but I can't tell. And it still sounds phenomenal, I forgot how amazing 2K Boston's sound team was. Best of the West.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Y2Kev said:
Why does it look so blurry?

I've adjusted the brightness and it looks as bright as the 360 to me. The opening is still absolutely stunning...it's just....a filter?
I think they are using some edge blur to cover aliasing, as there's no actual MSAA, just like in X360 version. It was visible on screenshots as well. As to why they decided to do it, I have no idea, maybe they simply weren't going for the sharper look. Frankly, it ends up looking great on my TV. From the pixel counting on the screenshots it did not seem like the game is running in sub-720p, but I can never tell for sure when running games on this TV.

What I am sure however, is that there are framedrops, the framerate definitely fluctuates between 20-30FPS, but I don't think it's prominent nearly enough to be detracting factor to someone who hasn't played the game and was looking forward to it. I guess if you are the type who thought tearing in Uncharted was enough to cut through your eyes, you're not going to like the framerate here (there's no tearing here, just frame drops btw.) but if not, it's nothing to worry about. Other than that, I can't see much difference in visuals between the versions, nothing that stands out immediately to me at least. It's still the same great looking game and looks like the X360 version or PC version on high settings. The textures may easily be the same, but appear lower due to less sharp looking overall image, much like in GTA4.

stuburns said:
Install took ages for me as well. It's the first time the install bar hasn't started as the install started. It took about 2 mins before the bar even appeared, crazy.
Pause all the ongoing downloads before starting big installations like this.

Truespeed

Please don't buy this game. Buy it in the PC bargain bin or on Steam, but don't reward this company for releasing a 1 year old game for $60.

____

maxax said:
Installing also takes significantly longer while you're downlaoding in the background.
Considering Bioshock is a big install to begin with, it can take a while.
Pause your downloads while installing, you should see a difference.

:lol

Wow, I'm all wrong then.

I was downloading all 5 demos. (well, w/ bioshock done...4 demos)

Weird I never noticed before. Thanks :)

____

stuburns said:

The game looks and runs identical. Maybe the water is better, but I can't tell. And it still sounds phenomenal, I forgot how amazing 2K Boston's sound team was. Best of the West.

Exactly..It was at LEAST 2 mins. I thought I was gonna have to restart the PS3 but didn't wanna corrupt any data :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
okrim said:
This:

22082007-2.JPG

All textures are not beautiful on 360 too.

The 4:3 aspect ratio alone is a flag to tell you that that is obviously a PC shot, nevermind how low-res the rig is running everything on... there aren't even any shadows on in that pic...

Did you just look for a horrible screenshot in Google and then just hotlink it here to say that it's the 360 version?

It's a crime to even be looking at BioShock in a state like that in the first place...

Raistlin

Truespeed said:
Please don't buy this game. Buy it in the PC bargain bin or on Steam, but don't reward this company for releasing a 1 year old game for $60.

So if your PC suck, just skip it?

itxaka

Defeatist
Metalmurphy said:
Well, there's a very high probability this is an old build, I remember seing some videos on Qore where Vsync was in the options. It wasn't there in the demo.

Btw dark10x, didn't see any framerate stutters my self. Certainly they weren't there all the time or I would have noticed.

This. I have beaten BS on 360 like 15 times and the framerate looks identical.

Weird thing is, I had a white stripe on the rigth part of the screen at all times. and on the lower part for some time.

I'll call this an old build for sure, the graphic errors on the demo (misaligned text ftl) make me think it could be an old build or at least not tested.

Dark10x, which ps3 model do you have? was it a pal demo on an ntsc console?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Skilotonn said:
The 4:3 aspect ratio alone is a flag to tell you that that is obviously a PC shot, nevermind how low-res the rig is running everything on... there aren't even any shadows on in that pic...
The 360 version supports 4:3, but not 800x600.

Btw dark10x, didn't see any framerate stutters my self. Certainly they weren't there all the time or I would have noticed.
They are, though. The game is rarely completely smooth. The entire intro sequence was ruined by this. When the camera pans over the city, the whole thing is jittering in comparison to the 360 or PC versions. Only the moments when you first step into the city were a solid 30 fps. The second you find your wrench, however, it starts to dip again. It's not unplayable, but it feels REALLY unpolished.

I will admit that it LOOKS pretty decent overall with most of the details preserved, but the framerate really drags it down. I don't know what the hell they were doing during this port, but it's awful. Not as bad as some of the earlier PS3 ports, but it still feels like one of those older UE3 games on PS3. Even Digital Extremes own PS3 game (Dark Sector) ran just fine on that platform (though I hated the game).

The port is bad enough that I think it reflects poorly on the platform and should be cancelled. Seriously, releasing a port this late with such poor quality is bullshit. When Oblivion was ported, it actually ran very well on PS3 and saw some improvements. That was worthwhile. This, however, is downgraded across the board. It's an inferior experiene to both previous releases.

You know I wouldn't just make this up either, by the way. I tell it like it is and I know what I'm seeing.

Dark10x, which ps3 model do you have? was it a pal demo on an ntsc console?
I have a 60gb launch unit. I have never had a single problem with any game ever (including GTAIV). My system is fine. Yes, it is the PAL demo, but it doesn't make a difference as the HD standard is the same in both territories (60 Hz).

Framerate issues are extremely obvious to me. Heck, right from the start, rotate the camera on both versions and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about. The framerate is below 30 fps during the majority of the demo. The 360 version was nearly a rock solid 30 fps (only in very rare instances did it slow down). The PC version (on my system) is a rock solid 60 fps. The PS3 version just can't compare to either.

Ploid 3.0

Truespeed said:

I can't buy it on anything else (The game on PS3 look and move so much better than my laptop). However, I'm waiting until this thing is dirt cheap like Burnout Paradise or lower. Too much going on as far as games I'm passing up these coming days/months. I won't be squirming as I wait. If I could rent it I would, I didn't care much for the gameplay but I'm interested in whats going to happen in the game.

StuBurns

Banned
It sounds like I'm hearing the description of a totally different game.
It's smooth here, it's solid. No graphical glitches, no slow down, no screen tear, no bad framerate, no misaligned text.
It's exactly the same as the 360 version.
Maybe the NA demo is a different build, it would explain the fact it's considerably smaller in size. But whatever it is, the one on the UK store is definitely retail worthy.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I can't buy it on anything else (The game on PS3 look and move so much better than my laptop). However, I'm waiting until this thing is dirt cheap like Burnout Paradise or lower. Too much going on as far as games I'm passing up these coming days/months. I won't be squirming as I wait. If I could rent it I would, I didn't care much for the gameplay but I'm interested in whats going to happen in the game.

It's exactly the same for me, even if the PS3 version isn't as great as the 360's, I don't own a 360, and it's looks significantly better than on my PC (15-25fps at the high settings in 800*600 and the textures in medium quality :/)

One thing that bothers me on this demo is the bottom-left corner of the screen, at the very beggining there was two big white bars, then there was some smaller golden bars whenever the radio is activated, they'd better clean this shit up in the final build. Other than that the game doesn't run very well, definetely in sub 30fps, I wish there was a way to turn down the v-sync, I prefer some tearing that slowdowns... I will pick this up when after the holiday season's madness when it will be cheap :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
stuburns said:
It sounds like I'm hearing the description of a totally different game.
It's smooth here, it's solid. No graphical glitches, no slow down, no screen tear, no bad framerate, no misaligned text.
It's exactly the same as the 360 version.
Maybe the NA demo is a different build, it would explain the fact it's considerably smaller in size. But whatever it is, the one on the UK store is definitely retail worthy.
I'm using the UK store demo and that's just not true.

However, if you are not bothered by the issues, that's one thing, but it's not fair to potential buyers to suggest that it is the same as the 360 version. It simply isn't.

Maybe the game's not done, Dark?
That's certainly a possibility, but if so, they should never have released this demo.

I will say that all of my comments refer only to this demo and am uncertain as to whether or not the final will also suffer from the same issues. The demo build is awful, regardless.

StuBurns

Banned
dark10x said:

However, if you are not bothered by the issues, that's one thing, but it's not fair to potential buyers to suggest that it is the same as the 360 version. It simply isn't.

I think it's unfair to potential buyers for you to rip it apart unjustly.
In a couple of hours there'll be comparison videos online I imagine, and people can see for themselves. But I strongly disagree with you, and the fact that people have been mentioning graphical issues that didn't occur for me goes some way to suggest that maybe the experience is varying on systems. But on mine, it's fine.

jett

D-Member
I don't get the cries of framerate problems...it runs at 30fps at nearly all times on my ps3, some hiccups every now and then. I actually notice more frames skipping in Wipeout HD. :p

Minsc

Gold Member
stuburns said:
I think it's unfair to potential buyers for you to rip it apart unjustly.
In a couple of hours there'll be comparison videos online I imagine, and people can see for themselves. But I strongly disagree with you, and the fact that people have been mentioning graphical issues that didn't occur for me goes some way to suggest that maybe the experience is varying on systems. But on mine, it's fine.

Sucks where console gaming is going. Whatever happened to that all comforting it will run exactly the same on every system?

If I had to bet money, chances are it's just dark10x noticing things the average person doesn't care about. I learned not to argue with him when he started tearing apart all my old favorite PC games because they run jerkier than console gaming's 16-bit ones, which to my disappointment he's right about, but it's just not a fun topic so I don't dwell on it.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws in the different versions, but really, the man knows framerate. His tag alone is enough to go by.

Foil

jett said:
I don't get the cries of framerate problems...it runs at 30fps at nearly all times on my ps3, some hiccups every now and then. I actually notice more frames skipping in Wipeout HD. :p

Same. The demo ran smooth outside of a few tiny little areas where the framerate kinda skipped a bit. Other than that it was pretty much the same as the 360 demo. Then again, I'm playing on an SDTV, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the way the game runs.

Nizz

dark10x said:

That's certainly a possibility, but if so, they should never have released this demo.

I will say that all of my comments refer only to this demo and am uncertain as to whether or not the final will also suffer from the same issues. The demo build is awful, regardless.

I gotta go with dark on this one. As far as I remember, the game "looks" like the 360 version of Bioshock I had played last year. But I don't remember the 360 version stuttering a bit when I got to the lower section where that waterfall is by the medic center entrance. Or at other spots throughout. I'd say it definitely doesn't run as smooth as the 360 version. Would someone who's playing the game for the first time notice this? I'd say probably not. But I did notice in some spots where the game would stutter a bit. Not a slide show, but the stutters were noticeable... In all fairness though, this could be a demo of an earlier build like some people have said. I find it kinda hard to believe that with four devs on this, they can't get it running as smooth as silk. First time players will definitely experience a great story and game, but as someone who was willing to double dip on this, I'm not so sure now. Also, damn how many times did I mess up and switched weapons instead of firing cause of fire on R2! :lol Woops...

okay I gotta be honest here, the 360 ver. definitely has better wall, ground & stairs textures, there are 4 diff studio logos flash before the demo starts, so either this is an old build compiled or the 4 studios really suck. I thought DIGITAL EXTREME???, the people behind Dark Sector had a tight grip on ps3 hardware considering how polished Dark Sector was. Only time will with the final release, I was seriously not impressed because the recent previews mentioned or made it sound like fine tuned version on ps3.

dark10x said:
No, the port is garbage. I just tried it myself and am shocked at how terrible this really is.

The framerate stutters CONSTANTLY. I mean, there are very few moments where it holds 30 fps. Furthermore, texture detail is slightly lesser and the image quality is rather blurry.

I can't believe they have the nerve to release this after all this time.

On the other hand, I also tried out the Trusty Bell port and it's pretty much perfect (and sounds even better).

Huh? ....I'll give it another look then

PC Gaijin

The demo stuttered for me as well. Framerate drops and audio stutters sometimes on the spoken dialog. Downloaded from the US store and played on an NTSC 40GB.

Clinton514

Ok, so I finally got through with it.

Stuttering of framerate- I've seen it only once. After successfully hacking a bot, the bot kicked up some dust while flying up...that's when it stuttered. Nothing game breaking.

Textures- Didn't take much notice. Nothing seemed extremely different from the 360 version that I felt is worth noting.

Antialiasing- It seems to be there..or is it? Again, 360 version does better there.

Which leads us to this very mysterious blurring. I'm not sure what build the previewers had, but this blurring is annoying. What's also odd, is that when going to the XMB the blur is still there. Is this some new resolution trick/technique that certain developers are using? This is actually the first time I've seen this. Am I crazy?

All of the above could very well be irrelevant as this is only a demo but I think PS3 only gamers have reason to be suspicious. I never finished the game on 360 but I wouldn't pay full price for this game on the PS3. That's just me...I'm sure others would love it as the game seems to be more than playable at this point.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
OK, I think both you and Dark are seriously going overboard now. I have seen exactly one split second sub-60FPS frame drop in Wipeout HD for all the hours I've played it. To compare that to a game that fluctuates between 20-30FPS is highly unfair.

But to say that this demo is some kind of disaster that should be canceled is very unfair as well. Come on now, if the framerate like it is here makes this deserving of canceling, then tons of others extremely popular games deserved to be too.

I'm almost completely certain the PS3 demo is running well below 720p. Got both systems hooked up via HDMI so for giggles I downloaded the PSN demo and popped in the retail 360 disc. I got to the part where you pass out and get up and then flipped between them. No doubt the PS3 demo is blurrier and softer and the 360 version is sharper and more "clinical" ala GTAIV. I couldn't find textures that were lower resolution on the PS3 version. People might be mistaking that for what seems to be the entire image being rendered at a lower resolution than the 360's.

The framerate on the PS3 version only seemed noticeable worse during the submarine intro sequence. Also, the PS3 demo defaults to the stupid FOV that everyone hates so I recommend turning that off. All and all seems like a solid port, but it does look like another case of a multiplatform game going the sub-720p route to get acceptable performance on the PS3.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's definitely something screwy with the resolution since it affects the XMB.

Anyways, this demo is going to probably make me cancel my paid in full preorder at Gamestop. It just doesn't work for me. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
a Master Ninja said:
I'm almost completely certain the PS3 demo is running well below 720p. Got both systems hooked up via HDMI so for giggles I downloaded the PSN demo and popped in the retail 360 disc. I got to the part where you pass out and get up and then flipped between them. No doubt the PS3 demo is blurrier and softer and the 360 version is sharper and more "clinical" ala GTAIV. I couldn't find textures that were lower resolution on the PS3 version. People might be mistaking that for what seems to be the entire image being rendered at a lower resolution than the 360's.

The framerate on the PS3 version only seemed noticeable worse during the submarine intro sequence. Also, the PS3 demo defaults to the stupid FOV that everyone hates so I recommend turning that off. All and all seems like a solid port, but it does look like another case of a multiplatform game going the sub-720p route to get acceptable performance on the PS3.

I can't tell, but I don't think it's sub720p. I think there's just some awful edge blur.

edit: Chub, what do you mean it affects the XMB? I actually found the XMB was running at a fast framerate when I brought it up. Do you think the XMB is running at sub720p too? Do you think we could get a test with another sub720p game?

Clinton514

a Master Ninja said:

Similar to my experience. Good call. I think it's the sub-720 thing too. I just don't remember that blur ever extending to the XMB in GTAIV, though.

edit: i'd load up GTA IV now, but I just don't have the patience, plus I'm testing out BIA:HH now. :p Someone do it, please.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
a Master Ninja said:
Also, the PS3 demo defaults to the stupid FOV that everyone hates so I recommend turning that off.
Wait - no! I'm pretty sure it defaults to the original, more constrained view. To get to the 'patched' view, you have to go settings to change it.

Marconelly said:
Wait - no! I'm pretty sure it defaults to the original, more constrained view. To get to the 'patched' view, you have to go settings to change it.
That's what I'm saying. It defaults to the lame constricted view. The one GAF bitched about constantly until it got patched.

Nafai1123

Banned
Clinton514 said:
Similar to my experience. Good call. I think it's the sub-720 thing too. I just don't remember that blur ever extending to the XMB in GTAIV, though.

edit: i'd load up GTA IV now, but I just don't have the patience, plus I'm testing out BIA:HH now. :p Someone do it, please.

What blur are you guys talking about? I brought up the XMB and it was running in full 1080.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Y2Kev said:
edit: Chub, what do you mean it affects the XMB? I actually found the XMB was running at a fast framerate when I brought it up. Do you think the XMB is running at sub720p too? Do you think we could get a test with another sub720p game?
I havent seen it, but peeps are saying the XMB and the notifiers are blurry as well.

burgerdog

If I had never played the 360 version I would have been extremely disappointed with the visuals in this game. Something is definitely wrong about them and the jittery framerate doesn't help either. I don't know whether to be disappointed in the ps3 or the developers. On one hand we have extremely beautiful exclusive ps3 games and on the other we have poorer looking / on-par ports that SHOULD and I stress SHOULD look better on ps3 due to how late they're coming out.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
a Master Ninja said:
That's what I'm saying. It defaults to the lame constricted view. The one GAF bitched about constantly until it got patched.
Ah OK. I thought most fans of the game actually preferred that constricted view (you can see it recommended it this thread several times too). I prefer it too actually. The wider view makes it look like I'm standing and looking behind someone's head, and not from his head, if it makes any sense.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Clinton514 said:
Yes, blurry XMB icons etc.

FYI- I'm on a 720p/1080i LCD television running 1080i thru HDMI on my PS3.
Why don't you run the game(s) in 720p? Do you know what kind of disaster of up/down/upscaling you're getting with PS3 being forced to output it's non-native 1080i to your 720p native TV?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
But that could be the obnoxious blur filter they have going on. The blur is not usually that noticeable.

Digital Extremes' other PS3 game is sub-HD and it's barely noticeable. This is like...horrible.

Clinton514

Marconelly said:
Why don't you run the game(s) in 720p? Do you know what kind of disaster of up/down/upscaling you're getting with PS3 being forced to output it's non-native 1080i to your 720p native TV?
I've messed with both settings and I find my tv is fine at 1080i, especially for games. Also, as I've mentioned, this is the first time I'm seeing any extreme blur like this. Thanks for the advice anyway.

burgerdog

Y2Kev said:
But that could be the obnoxious blur filter they have going on. The blur is not usually that noticeable.

Digital Extremes' other PS3 game is sub-HD and it's barely noticeable. This is like...horrible.

I could barely tell the difference between dark sector ps3 / 360, but Bioshock ps3 made my eyes hurt. Whatever is going on with the image was a bad decision.

Y2Kev said:

Entirely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom