• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy IX

aravuus

This game looks gorgeous on the PS Vita~
Still my #1 FF of all time even if I don't like the combat that much.

Word of advice though: I'd prob. recommend not stealing from bosses since Zidane's steal rate for rarer equipment or items is very low.

Noooo, steal steal steal! Yeah the rates are atrocious, but it always felt great to see that text pop-up say "Stole Mythril Dagger!" after a few (dozen..) tries

Tizoc

Noooo, steal steal steal! Yeah the rates are atrocious, but it always felt great to see that text pop-up say "Stole Mythril Dagger!" after a few (dozen..) tries

Yea well after playing FF9 dozens of times, it becomes a boring chore haha.
Although I would STRONGLY suggest Stealing from a Flan, so that you have at least 1 Ore item.

Kainazzo

A fantastic game, and one of the last truly amazing RPGs I've played (personally). There's an amazing sense of exploration that takes you to all sorts of strange frontiers, and it's written quite well for its time too; I think this was the first game Square upped their localization efforts on. If I ever made an RPG, above all else I'd try to replicate the adventure of going to so many strange, exotic, and
alien
places.

You think it was cool when Kefka got his way and (temporarily) won in VI? In this game you straight up
die before the final boss
!

A word though: you will want to read up on a few explanations on some of the more complicated things from later on (disc 3+). Once everything's in order you'll really appreciate all of the intricacies they managed to cram in, but it's easy to miss things the first time.

Also: missables. Get that coffee in Dali. One of the few blows against the game are the missables. That, and how your out-of-battle party doesn't level up with the rest of them.

akaoni

Banned
With the right settings in epsxe you can make the game look pretty decent

PSOGL2_001.jpg

PSOGL2_002.jpg

PSOGL2_006.jpg

You mind sharing those settings? I think epsxe has a settings profile save thingy for sharing. Looks like ass on PS3/LCD TV even with the filter.

I've tried to get into this game a few times but always fail, and after about 5 hours the game tells you to fuck off because you didn't grind. This is after you come to the town in the last screenshot above. Game then lets you leave to a save point which you can't turn back from, and going past it means getting owned in every battle IF you didn't grind, on the other hand I'm not sure just how much grinding it requires and I couldn't be arsed rolling back an hours progress. I don't like the anthro characters, but I love the opening to this game so much and the charm it has. The game also screams high budget presentation in every way, which is a good thing for what I want, I struggle to think of a better looking PS1 game. The battles felt nice even if they're a bit slow.

It's the most successful play attempt I've had out of Final Fantasy 1,2,4,6,7,8 and 9, others I haven't tried. 6 is the other one that okayish with me, 4,7 and 8 didn't feel great, 1 and 2 are too barebones. Mind you, haven't finished any of them.

Taruranto

The first 2 CD and half are a masterpiece, the OST is very good, and the main cast is pretty well developed and likable.

On other hand, the BS is slooooow (especially the PAL version, at 50hz), the game difficulty doesn't let you use the ability system too much and a some characters are kinda just there.

Overall, a flawed gem and probably my favorite mainline FF. A shame we probably will never see anything like this from SE again, since the series now looks like a boy-band reject,

Arment

The last great FF game.

X was pretty good, and I love it, but IX is where they should look if they want to regain some ground.

aravuus

Yea well after playing FF9 dozens of times, it becomes a boring chore haha.
Although I would STRONGLY suggest Stealing from a Flan, so that you have at least 1 Ore item.

Yeah, honestly, most of the stuff you can steal isn't needed, at all. They just make the game slightly easier for a small while.

But there's something about stealing in this game, I just can't skip it. I've also played and finished the game a ton of times, and almost every time I went "meh, I'll just ignore the next bosses steal items" and when I actually get to the boss, I start spamming steal right away :lol

Tizoc

Yeah, honestly, most of the stuff you can steal isn't needed, at all. They just make the game slightly easier for a small while.

But there's something about stealing in this game, I just can't skip it. I've also played and finished the game a ton of times, and almost every time I went "meh, I'll just ignore the next bosses steal items" and when I actually get to the boss, I start spamming steal right away :lol

Haha it's cool bro, to be fair I prob. just steal from the first half dozen bosses in disc 1 since their equipment offer some good Passive abilities to learn early on, like EXP up for Steiner.

Stealing comes in handy because it powers up Thievery. Sure you need to steal a TON but if you can get it where it does a lot of damage, it's pretty cheap in the MP department.

I swear this game has probably the best soundtrack of any FF game.

Lothar

Banned
Fabulous story and characters but literally unplayable for me due to the load times, slow animations, slow ATB, having to wait for the camera to swirl around the screen before each battle, high encounter rate on top of all of that, etc.. I couldn't take any more on Disc 3 and had to read the rest of the script online. It's the first time I've ever done that. For that reason alone, I'd have to say it's one of the weakest FFs, down there with 8 and 13.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The greatest adventure ever told.
Lindblum\ Alexandria \ Toleno still hold the title of, respectively, best, second best and third best city in a video game.
The Mist Continent is just.. terrific.

Be careful not to get lost into Chocobo Hot&Cold.
Or do, enjoy the ride!

You mind sharing those settings? I think epsxe has a settings profile save thingy for sharing. Looks like ass on PS3/LCD TV even with the filter.

Yeah, espxe. For the plugin, I'm using pete's openGL2 driver 2.9. I'm using graphicshaders\Misc. shaders\AA shader+Natural Shader\ for the shader. Makes the backgrounds scale up a little bit and gives a little bloom effect on the models. The original game is rendered at such a small resolution the backgrounds don't scale very well. So I'm only playing at 640x480 in a window. It allows me to do other stuff while playing.

I probably wouldn't try to play this at 1080p, you can't make the backgrounds look good really. they are like 320x240. Stick to 480p

Kainazzo

What I don't understand though is why this game was so hated on release. I distinctly remember going to Gamefaqs in 2000 and reading a lot of negativity, though I can't recall why there was so much. Was it because it wasn't like VII and VIII aesthetically?

I do remember one guy ranting about Amarant. Looking back on it, he had a point. The game really wouldn't have been worse without him, leaving Lani to step in and get a little more time.

A good game but not one of my favorites. The slow battles kind of make the ATB pointless, even more so when enemies are designed to purposely circumvent turn order. Some of the characters are good. The focus on certain character developments in the last third made me almost lose interest.

Best game of all time.

Agreed.

Well, FFIX and Xenogears are kind of tied for me as my favorite game, but because of Vivi, I think I give the edge to FFIX. :)

I can replay FFIX countless times and enjoy it every. single. time. The battles are a bit slow, but everything else about the game is amazing.

Kamek

Just did a replay of this in January with my little brother. It was just as awesome as I remember it.

Did anyone of you guys ever get excalibur II?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Crossing those Hills
I was utterly amazed at how awesome the Overworld map is, if you want stand hear instead of resetting it every 30 seconds with random battles.
Also, You're not alone.

Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of the best minigames the grace the FF series. Beaten only by VIII's Triple Triad. Seeing your chocobo evolve into new forms and be tossed into the mysterious Chocobo World was so cool. Never would I have ever thought the rewards for doing that sidequest would be so great. I bet a lot of people tried it once in the initial forest and quit before it ever got good.

I hate thinking about this game though...because I can't stop replaying it! It doesn't help that there always seems to be something I have never done in the game. ie: Beating Ozma, cards, or that end-game quest found in the Ultimania book. Even after 8+ playthroughs since the JP release the game still keeps giving.

Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of the best minigames the grace the FF series. Beaten only by VIII's Triple Triad. Seeing your chocobo evolve into new forms and be tossed into the mysterious Chocobo World was so cool. Never would I have ever thought the rewards for doing that sidequest would be so great. I bet a lot of people tried it once in the initial forest and quit before it ever got good.

For the longest, I never really messed around with the Hot and Cold game because I just didn't get into it early in the game. But on my most recent playthrough, I became SO addicted to playing it. It really is one of the best minigames in the series, and like you said, I love how it rewards you in both better chocobo evolutions and getting the ability to get rare equipment/weapons from treasure chests spread across the world.

heringer

This is one Final Fantasy game I couldn't get into. That slow ass battle system... only played up to middle of the second disc.

I might try to play it again. Maybe third time is the charm?

Ezalc

Probably the best FF game from all of those that I've played. Zidane is easily the most likable protagonist in the entire series, and it was a huge let down when they tried to recreate that in X and instead we got Tidus and his shitty ass "romance" with Yuna. Either way, enjoy the game OP it's amazing.

pantsmith

Thematically, IX is great for anyone trying to get out of an existential funk (whereas VII might make your funk even worse).

I love how all of the characters have very different personalities and outlooks, especially by the end of the game. Its a lot like life, which is probably the point. Everyone is in it together and everyone finds a reason its worth living.

Only downside of the game was Amarant, and the battle times, and you can pretend the former doesn't exist so its nearly perfect.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Weakest FF from SNES gen on by far. Horribly slow combat, tons of wasted characters, main story takes a backseat to everything, villain is a joke. The mini games though..the game was worth making just for the mini games.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Weakest FF from SNES gen on by far. Horribly slow combat, tons of wasted characters, main story takes a backseat to everything, villain is a joke. The mini games though..the game was worth making just for the mini games.

i guesss you prefer the ipad button smasher "game"?

Ezalc

Thematically, IX is great for anyone trying to get out of an existential funk (whereas VII might make your funk even worse).

I love how all of the characters have very different personalities and outlooks, especially by the end of the game. Its a lot like life, which is probably the point. Everyone is in it together and everyone finds a reason its worth living.

Only downside of the game was Amarant, and the battle times, and you can pretend the former doesn't exist so its nearly perfect.

I guess I'm the only one who likes Amarant. I just wish he was developed more but I still loved using him in battle and his overall character.

Voror

This is next up for me after Legend of Dragoon and FF V. I am a little daunted by the whole leveling and boosting stats aspect of it like how keeping you party low level will benefit some of the layer members of your party except for the one who gains stats of you level one of the temp members.

So trying to figure out what to do about that.

Kalnos

Banned
What I don't understand though is why this game was so hated on release. I distinctly remember going to Gamefaqs in 2000 and reading a lot of negativity, though I can't recall why there was so much. Was it because it wasn't like VII and VIII aesthetically?

I don't think the game was really hated on more than any FF game is at release. It actually has the highest Metacritic score of any entry in the entire series.

Although... go to the 'worst character in a jrpg' thread and people are seriously listing Zidane. It's hilarious.

Vecks

Man, I love this game. My favorite FF, and definitely one of my favorite games ever. So much charm. Steiner and Vivi are great. Really captured the essence of the older FFs, especially with that awesome start.

Kainazzo

I don't think the game was really hated on more than any FF game is at release. It actually has the highest Metacritic score of any entry in the entire series.

Although... go to the 'worst character in a jrpg' thread and people are seriously listing Zidane. It's hilarious.

True, IX was the first FF where checked online for opinions at release. Gotta wonder if anyone can dig up some old messages for IV-VI and see if it was same. There was a thread on content like that a while back...

I have hard time seeing how Zidane could be rationally hated, but that's games for ya'.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
FFIX is one of the very very few games that have a soundtrack and atomsphere that physically hurts in my heart when I listen to it or think about it. FFVII is one of the others.

Seriously, two of the best gaming moments of all time.

joe1138

I really didn't appreciate it that much when it came out back in 2000 but my fondness and appreciation for IX has definitely grown over the years. I haven't played it in its entirety since maybe 2002, might be time to give those discs another spin again some time soon.

The one aspect of the game that really hasn't held up is the music. The score certainly towers above most other OSTs (especially of that time) but I feel like Uematsu's work on IX lacks a certain spark, a certain something intangible that made the previous entries really shine.

Top Bottom