• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy IX

I'm thinking of replaying IX, since I just beat VIII last winter. Fantastic game, even for the slowness and random battles. Loved the skill system in it. Holds up the best of any PS1 game, I think. Since people are saying it's fun, maybe I'll do the Chocobo Hot n Cold for the first time.

Loved all the characters, even Quina, except Garnet. Can't decide who was worse, her or Rinoa.

topplehat

I'm thinking of replaying IX, since I just beat VIII last winter. Fantastic game, even for the slowness and random battles. Loved the skill system in it. Holds up the best of any PS1 game, I think. Since people are saying it's fun, maybe I'll do the Chocobo Hot n Cold for the first time.

Loved all the characters, even Quina, except Garnet. Can't decide who was worse, her or Rinoa.

Quina may have been annoying but s/he was one of the best party members. I rolled with: Zidane, Amarant, Freya, and Quina.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
I've learned to like this game but back then when I first played it... I hated the childish art style, I hated the fairytale story, I hated the battle system, I hated Zidan. It is a good game from another perspective but there is nothing grand in this game that says "Final Fantasy".

I know I just sound negative but back in the day after the epics that were VII & VIII this was a let down.

As I said I learned to like it.

Groof

I have good childhood memories of this from playing it with a friend back in the days, but I never saw more than maybe half of the first disc. I really want to buy it to play on my Vita but being in Europe the 50Hz stuff is putting me off...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I've learned to like this game but back then when I first played it... I hated the childish art style, I hated the fairytale story, I hated the battle system, I hated Zidan. It is a good game from another perspective but there is nothing grand in this game that says "Final Fantasy".

I know I just sound negative but back in the day after the epics that were VII & VIII this was a let down.

As I said I learned to like it.

nothing that says FF? this is the most quintessential final fantasy game ever, bro...

plus it blows VIII out of the water (except for triple triad)

Wazzy

Banned
It's definitely a great game. While I prefer VIII, X and VI since all three have better battle systems and soundtracks, IX still has lot's going for it.

Vivi is the most interesting character in the game and probably the best. Beatrix is also great. The story and setting is a good mix of medieval and fantasy. The music, while much weaker than VI, VII, VIII and X, is still good with some amazing tracks like the battle and boss theme's, Melodies of Life, Vamo' Alla Flamenco, Not Alone and The Dark Messenger.

You're in for a fun ride! Enjoy and take your time.

legacyzero

Banned
My least favorite of the PS1 era Final Fantasies. Still a great game, though.

Still, I look back at IX, and appreciate it more knowing what FF has turned into these days...

I tried getting into this game a short while ago because its been sitting in my backlog. Everything seemed to be going great but I just couldn't get past how long each encounter took to start... I mean from the actual moment a random encounter starts to the point where you actually start playing was so long I just quit. I guess I've missed out
wtzgU.gif

dazzgc

Banned
the last, truly great "final fantasy" game (yeah, 12 sucked too. idgaf. too much political bs not enough fantasy)

will always go back for a replay of this from time to time :)

Top Bottom