• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7 Part 1 - The Beginning - [S7 Part 2 begins April 5th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country.". :'(

Does a mirror (preferably with decent quality) exist?
Maybe this will work http://time.com/3718877/mad-men-trailer-final-season/

Alright I think it's time to rewatch the series:
Seriously. I already rewatched it all on Netflix after part 1 of S7 last year, but I may need to go through it again.

Also, I hope AMC puts out a dope box set for the entire series on blu-ray in the future. I need to own this whole show.

Please don't place fake spoilers behind spoiler tags. It didn't help the joke any, and just made it all the more possible that someone will click on REAL spoilers thinking they're fake.

berzeli

Banned
Maybe this will work http://time.com/3718877/mad-men-trailer-final-season/

Seriously. I already rewatched it all on Netflix after part 1 of S7 last year, but I may need to go through it again.

Also, I hope AMC puts out a dope box set for the entire series on blu-ray in the future. I need to own this whole show.

It does, thank you. And I agree with you, a bit cheesy but still nice.

It's Lionsgate who are responsible for the distribution of blu-rays, which isn't a positive. Still they've done well by the series so far and I hope that they don't fuck it up on the home stretch.

This trailer. The feels! Cheesy music, but still some great scenes - http://youtu.be/aLvQyu9oguE

Loved this, even with the try hard music. Sort of crazy seeing how fresh faced everyone was in S1 vs now.

I'm really bittersweet about this ending.The only thing that will be left to fill the void for me will be True Detective and given that it's an anthology, no doubt some seasons are gonna be better than others.

Better Call Saul is scratching the good serial itch in the mean time though.

Cipherr

I feel for you people who have been watching this show every week. I started watching it for the first time right before Christmas and caught up to the end of 7pt1. This show is such a slow burn that you want to put on the next episode right away. Maybe I'll rewatch the series while I wait for the second part of the season.

That must have been awesome. Haha, the waits have been pretty painful.

Maengun1

I didn't start watching the show until the end of season 4 (caught up with DVDs) -- which was right before it went on hiatus for almost 2 years due to the negotiation snafu with AMC at the time. That was a really, really brutal wait to suffer right after falling in love with the show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't start watching the show until the end of season 4 (caught up with DVDs) -- which was right before it went on hiatus for almost 2 years due to the negotiation snafu with AMC at the time. That was a really, really brutal wait to suffer right after falling in love with the show.

Yeah I think I binged watched the show during that hiatus period. It's hard to remember now, I know for sure I've been live watching the show since Season 5. I'm pretty bitter that AMC split it up like they did, but I'm sorta glad the show isn't quite over yet.

CassSept

Hah yeah, same for me, I think I caught up with the show around Lucky Strike fallout mini-arc, just after suitcase. I had one month of Mad Men... and a long loong hiatus after that.

I agree, quite painful.

Fjordson

I was lucky in that regard, I got into the show on Netflix at the tail end of the S5 delay. Flew through the first four seasons and then only had to wait a few months for S5.

- Poster via NY Mag:

Oaq4eLF.jpg
Since the season hasn’t started and Weiner notoriously guards against spoilers, they didn’t reveal anything concrete about what’s to come on the show. But they did discuss five elements of the image and offer hints — teeny, tiny hints — as to what they might mean.

Don is in a car.
This is not an accident. “It’s designed to tell you that Don is going somewhere,” Weiner says. “He could be going to work, he could be going away from work. But there is a feeling of, I hope, a little bit of a desperate drive. We see him in his car, and we see that he’s alone, and I think you just have to basically feel that there’s going to be a sense of motion.” By the way, Don is driving his familiar Cadillac Coup de Ville, Weiner confirms. “That’s Don’s car — the late model Cadillac with the silver and red interior … he was driving at the end of season six.”

The sun is setting behind him.
Weiner won’t reveal too much about what, if any, meaning the sun’s positioning here has: “Is he driving off into the sunset because the show is? It’s the end of a workday, clearly.”

The collar.
Don’s tie is perfectly tied in all previous Mad Men posters in which we can see him from the front. Not this time. “His collar is loosened; his tie is loosened,” Schupack points out, without explaining what, if any, significance that has. But here’s a hit from Weiner: “He looks a little unwound.”

The rearview mirror.
Don’s glancing at his rearview mirror. Is it an introspective look at himself? Or is someone — or something — behind him? Perhaps it’s symbolic of the show’s end? “I don’t know if you could say he’s looking at the end of the show in his rearview mirror,” Weiner says. “But he’s being pursued, and he’s on his way. He’s in the city — and he’s on his way.”

The image is a composite.
“It’s a period photo in the background, but we shot Jon in his car on the stage,” Weiner explains. “It’s an abstract image, but it is not an abstract photo, if that makes sense.”

Somewhat related article from NY Mag:

- A History of Mad Men's Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

- Via Warming Glow, AMC clips of a lot of first appearances on the show
As you *may* have heard, Mad Men returns for its final season on April 5, and to help us gear up for it, AMC was kind enough to give us some promo clips of “first” occurrences on the show to debut. There are seven clips in total — one for each of the seven episodes set to air in the upcoming season — and all feature some sort of first major Mad Men scene; Don and Betty’s first fight, Don and Roger’s first office office chat, etc. The clips are a great reminder of how much the show and its characters, particularly Don Draper, have changed over the years. Enjoy!

Also, they put up a set of celebrity fans talking about Mad Men here. It includes Gary Oldman, David O'Russel, Sarah Silverman, and a bunch of other people.

- Slashfilm: 10 Movies That Influenced ‘Mad Men’, According to Matthew Weiner
As Mad Men prepares to come to an end, Matthew Weiner is taking a moment to look back at its roots. The series creator has offered up a list of 10 films that influenced Mad Men, ranging from Billy Wilder‘s The Apartment to David Lynch‘s Blue Velvet. Click through to read the list, along with descriptions written by Weiner himself.

The 10 films listed below weren’t just inspirational for Weiner — he made them required viewing for the cast and crew, so that the show as a whole is shaped by them. Some provided a realistic look at Mad Men‘s period and setting; others informed its approach to the era or its thematic concerns.

All 10 pictures will be shown at the Museum of the Moving Image between March 14 and April 26. The screening series is presented in conjunction with Matthew Weiner’s Mad Men, an exhibition featuring sets, costumes, props, and more from the AMC show. Ticketing info and other details can be found on the museum’s website.

Unfortunately, watching all ten of these movies won’t make the show last any longer. But it will help you make the most of the episodes we have left. Mad Men returns for the second half of its seventh and final season on April 5, with the series finale set for May 17.

We're less than a month away!

big ander

I love how Weiner's movie list is half anointed classics and half very obscure American dramas from the late '50s and early '60s. Might try to knock out the six I haven't seen before the season starts.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
lmao I forgot about that first Sally clip. Classic Betty, more concerned with the clothes than her kids covering their heads with plastic bags.

No honorary mention for "Revolutionary Road?" Admittedly it came out around the same time as the show, but he had to know they were making it. Plus the novel resembles the show in a lot of ways.

Some friends and I made a short list of essential episodes to re-watch on the run up the to the finale.

We made the list of the top of our heads, and then took a look at a few critics' lists to see what we wanted to add. Here's what we've watched so far, and some reactions:

The Carousel

Just great. Interestingly, the performances are more mannered, the tone is more bottled up, and there's not a lot of surface emotion.

Shut the Door, Have a Seat

This was a bit of a disappointment on rewatch. Not that it wasn't funny and great, but taken out of context and in hindsight, it loses a lot of what made it so much fun. It's a very plotty episode, and my group tends to focus more on the character stuff, which we only get a little of. That which we get--- Roger and Don getting along again, Don and Peggy starting to seriously rift-- is great though.

The Suitcase

What can I say? Best episode of the series, completely stands up on rewatch. One thing that's really clear that I didn't quite get the first time-- all of the pitches that Don rejects are pretty good to great, one of them is even a later, iconic actual campaign in real life. It underscores just how out of it he is, with the emotional stress he's under about Anna, and the drinking. In the end, it's not about the actual ads though, it's about him and Peggy bonding over doing hard work together. Even knowing that their relationship is destined to have some pretty big future lows, it's very poignant.

Coming up, The Summer Man and The Beautiful Girls (and I forget what exactly is on our list after that, pretty sure The Strategy is in there).

Suitcase, Summer Man and Beautiful Girls are all in a row, and to me is the high point of the series so far. Three of the best episodes of the entire run all together. They were on fire. I don't think the show has every gone awry or leapt over any predatory sea creatures, but they haven't rivaled this peak, either.

So, we rewatched The Summer Man. Excellent, as I recall. Not a lot of plot here, but notably it's the fulcrum of the series, where Don seriously commits to improving himself, even if he isn't that successful. The use of Satisfaction is awesome. This episode is also a turn for Joan, he pretty much runs to the end of her track as Office Manager when she's treated as a joke by the Art guys and lashes out when Peggy fires Joey.

Been watching Magic City on Netflix and its crazy how much Jeffrey Dean Morgan comes off like a homeless man's Don Draper. Similar voice and mannerisms. The show in general really seems to crib a lot of Mad Men's style. It's schlocky and sorta enjoyable but I can see why it got canned.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So, we rewatched The Summer Man. Excellent, as I recall. Not a lot of plot here, but notably it's the fulcrum of the series, where Don seriously commits to improving himself, even if he isn't that successful. The use of Satisfaction is awesome. This episode is also a turn for Joan, he pretty much runs to the end of her track as Office Manager when she's treated as a joke by the Art guys and lashes out when Peggy fires Joey.

I love The Summer Man, just caught that one the other day (been rewatching the whole series). I remember how striking it was when you get that voiced monologue from Don at the beginning, it still kind of caught me off-guard since I hadn't seen it in so long.

I really like that run of episodes you mentioned for sure. One of my other favorite strings of episodes is Signal 30, Far Away Places, At the Codfish Ball, and Lady Lazarus from season 5.

- THR: The Uncensored, Epic, Never-Told Story Behind 'Mad Men'
Don Draper lived on hard drives for half a decade before anybody paid him any notice. In 1999, Matthew Weiner, then an unfulfilled writer on CBS' Ted Danson sitcom Becker, spent his every off-hour doing research on the 1960s: what people wore, how they decorated their offices, what they ate and drank (and smoked, and drank some more). Then, over six days in the spring of 2001, he sketched out his vision for a show about the staff of a boutique advertising agency — Sterling Cooper — and its stylishly debauched head pitchman. Nobody bought the script, but it landed Weiner a 45-minute call from David Chase, who hired him as a writer on HBO's The Sopranos.

Weiner's Madison Avenue opus sat in a drawer for another three years — until a cable network with zero experience in original scripted programming (formerly American Movie Classics) stepped in and self-financed a pilot. Today, nine years later, Mad Men, which on April 5 begins its final seven episodes, is a pop cultural phenomenon that not only has made stars out of its cast of unknowns — Jon Hamm, Christina Hendricks, January Jones, Vincent Kartheiser, Elisabeth Moss and John Slattery — but also transformed AMC into one of the most influential networks on the dial and set off cable TV's gold rush for scripted dramas.

urNrIpp.jpg

Bonus photos:

Mad Men cast is stupidly photogenic.
Indeed.

The interviews/quotes themselves are amusing, as well. I think most of this is known, but it's fun to read through it:
JANUARY JONES AS … PEGGY?
Casting for the pilot begins in 2006. Weiner and AMC agree on hiring unknown actors.

Weiner There were famous people who came in to read. The guys from That '70s Show came in — not Ashton, but the other guys. I'm still impressed by Danny Masterson. But at a certain point, it was working against them. My theory was that The Sopranos casting was great because you didn't know who any of those people were.

Jon Hamm (Don Draper) Some people went in once and got cast; there was a little more reticence with me. I was on the bottom of everyone's list. The one person who was an early champion of mine was Matthew.

Weiner Back in [2006], there were no handsome leading men. It was not the style. Not that Jim Gandolfini's not handsome, but he's not Jon Hamm. There are moments in time when it's Dustin Hoffman and moments in time when it's Robert Redford. It was a Dustin Hoffman era. People like me or Seth Rogen got the girl, and people like Bradley Cooper were standing on the side of the street being like, "Come on!"

Wayne Matt sent us two actors: Jon Hamm and Mariska Hargitay's husband, Peter Hermann. The quality of the [video] that we were using sucked, and you couldn't see how good-looking Jon Hamm was. We were like, "Really, this is who you think?" And Matt said, "Absolutely." He'd been in the room, and he felt something with Jon. We had him come in again. We had to be sold, so we flew Jon to New York and took him for a drink at the Gansevoort hotel. He was nervous, but I knew that he had star potential. I whispered in his ear before he left, "You got the job."

Elisabeth Moss (Peggy Olson) I was the first person to audition for Peggy. Matt showed us all our audition tapes at a gathering, and it's hilarious because I don't look anything like Peggy [in the tape]. I'm 23, blond, tan. I look like I just walked off of the beach.

John Slattery (Roger Sterling) I went in to read for Don; they wanted me to play Roger. Matt Weiner claims I was in a bad mood the whole [pilot]. I had a couple of scenes, but I wasn't as emotionally invested as some of the people because there wasn't that much of Roger in evidence yet. Being a selfish actor, I didn't necessarily see the full potential in the beginning.

Christina Hendricks (Joan Holloway) I was up for another pilot, and I chose Mad Men. The [agency I was with] was like, "It's on AMC, it's a period piece, it's never going to go. Are you crazy? You're not going to make money for us …" I thought it was a little impatient of them. So I moved on.

January Jones (Betty Draper) I came in for Peggy twice. Matt said, "Well, there's another role, but I don't really know what's going to happen with her." He didn't have any scenes for me, so he quickly wrote a couple.

Weiner It had been years since I wrote anything in the pilot. And all of sudden, I need a scene by tomorrow for a character who only has three lines.

Vincent Kartheiser (Pete Campbell) I only auditioned for Pete. My agents aren't delusional enough to think that I'm a Don Draper.

Alison Brie (Trudy Campbell) I looked up a picture of Vincent Kartheiser and was like, "Oh my God. We kind of look like brother and sister. I could totally be his 1960s wife." Couples kind of looked alike then.

Weiner Alison Brie was a big lesson because we couldn’t afford to make her a series regular. And we gambled [Community] wouldn’t happen. We were wrong.
WEINER NEARLY WALKS

Instead, in March 2011, he takes home $30 million for a three-season contract after negotiations with AMC and Lionsgate sideline the network flagship for more than a year.

Weiner AMC had waited a very, very long time [to renew the show for a second season]. I remember seeing them at the [2007] Emmys and, with an Emmy in my hand from The Sopranos, yelling at everybody from AMC, "You don't want Mad Men? Let it go." I knew there was a really good chance the show could end up on HBO. After season four — and our fourth Emmy in a row — my contract expired again [in late 2010]. Nobody from AMC or Lionsgate would talk to me. Bryan Lourd [at CAA] got involved. He said, "Don't worry about it." Cut to six months later, and it's, "I've never seen anything like this in my life." They came in with a very low offer and stipulations about cutting time and adding commercials, getting rid of 30 percent of the cast. I was like, "No to all that." They kept offering me more money to take those things, and I kept saying, "No, this is not about money."

Beggs Part of the business of making shows is figuring out how to quantify a value and who pays for what. Sometimes it's a little painful.

Hendricks At one point I thought, "This is taking a little too long."

Moss I remember thinking there was a legitimate chance that we weren't going to go back. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we didn't want to go back without Matt. We privately made that known to him.

Weiner I had conversations with Aaron Sorkin, Steven Bochco and David Chase about what it was going to be like if they took [the show] away and how I was going to live. They'd all been in this situation, and Aaron really talked about what it's going to be like for someone else to run your show: "Don't ever watch it."

Stern When we first started negotiating with AMC, one of the things they wanted was a spinoff. We talked about doing a contemporary one. Given the fact that [Mad Men] ends nearly 50 years ago, most of the characters would be dead. Sally was the one character young enough that you could see her 30 or 40 years later. There was a time we wanted a Peggy spin­off, too, and, a la Better Call Saul, a minor character going off to L.A. Matt wasn't comfortable committing to a spinoff.

Collier We entered into the negotiation and left the negotiation with an aligned goal, which was to get Matthew Weiner to the end of Mad Men.

Weiner Being off the air that long was bad for us. I felt that the show was damaged — its prestige was damaged.

sammich

Vincent Kartheiser (Pete Campbell) I only auditioned for Pete. My agents aren't delusional enough to think that I'm a Don Draper.

lol, Petes awesome, i mean Vincent :)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fuck AMC. I'm glad they took a chance on Mad Men at the start, but it's terrible how greedy and controlling they became of one of the series that actually brought them to power. Glad Matt and crew stuck to their guns, though it really sucks the break may have damaged some of the momentum the show had. Let's not even re-open the split final season wound.

Hendrick's previous agency are probably kicking themselves for doubting her. I think it's great how Roger, Betty, and Trudy's characters developed from an initial position of having little relevance.

Lol of course they wanted a mad men spinoff

I dunno how they came across mad men and bb but it's pretty obvious it was just blind luck.

AMC basically had to be talked into Breaking Bad. The guy running the network at the time never really wanted it. At least not until it started winning Emmys.

Bladenic

Not sure why they keep using January Jones in so much advertising since Betty isn't around much anymore :(

But no Megan on that magazine. Love it.

Also when the fuck is S7 gonna be on Netflix Damn I only got to episode 7

Not sure why they keep using January Jones in so much advertising since Betty isn't around much anymore :(

But no Megan on that magazine. Love it.

Also when the fuck is S7 gonna be on Netflix Damn I only got to episode 7
So, you've watched them all. Season 7 was split, 7 episodes last year and 7 this spring.

Pryce

Weiner AMC had waited a very, very long time [to renew the show for a second season]. I remember seeing them at the [2007] Emmys and, with an Emmy in my hand from The Sopranos, yelling at everybody from AMC, "You don't want Mad Men? Let it go." I knew there was a really good chance the show could end up on HBO. After season four — and our fourth Emmy in a row — my contract expired again [in late 2010]. Nobody from AMC or Lionsgate would talk to me. Bryan Lourd [at CAA] got involved. He said, "Don't worry about it." Cut to six months later, and it's, "I've never seen anything like this in my life." They came in with a very low offer and stipulations about cutting time and adding commercials, getting rid of 30 percent of the cast. I was like, "No to all that." They kept offering me more money to take those things, and I kept saying, "No, this is not about money."

What the fuck, AMC?

I feel like the loss year killed it's award chances. Before that it was an unstoppable monolith that showed no end in sight, but considering how fickle critics/emmy voters are, they all moved onto the next hot thing. (the next hot thing was BB, so at least it was well deserved).

Had Mad Men never gone of the air I could have easily seen in win 5 or 6 best drama emmy's. AMC fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom