• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 PC first review- 80%

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=257937?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Mafia 2 review - 80% in PC Zone
Friday 30-Jul-2010 4:09 PM 2K Czech's gangster title "looks stunning"

The first verdict on 2K's Mafia II is in - and PC Zone's view is that, despite some annoying flaws, it's still a winner.

The mag gives the Mafia title 80% in its new October (yes, bloody October) issue - which is with subscribers now.

The game's major drawback, says Zone, is that it's an 'extremely linear driver and shooter'.

However, if you can get over that rather restrictive fact, there's plenty to enjoy for those nostalgic for the Cosa Nostra's days of US dominance.

The mag says that the dialogue is 'fine, and extremely well acted', adding that driving, 'as you'd expect from the former Illusion Software [2K Czech], is great'.

It continues: 'The collection of cars is great too - all timely models that damage so gently that you'll try to take care of them.'

All aspects of the game are covered in Zone's spectacular seven-page review - with more praise coming for the game's weapons and action sequences, despite a slightly 'cold' storyline.

It adds: 'Mafia II is 10 hours of driving, story and extremely competent gun action. Running at top specs, it looks stunning, and if there was a soundtrack album, I'd buy myself a copy.'

The October issue of PC Zone is in stores next week, and with subscribers today.

Mafia II is due for release on 360, PS3 and PC on August 27.

Yasae

Banned
Ten hours? I'm glad they wanted such a brilliant presentation, but you gotta double that number at least.

Mrbob

pje122 said:
So its not a sandbox game?

Not full sandbox. There are open parts to the game, but it is more of a straight story driven experience. In some ways, I'd say this is similar to have the GTA expansions were done. Those games don't have a ton of freedom to them and a bit more compact, and I thought they were better than the main game for it.

I want to see how the story evolves, because I believe the story goes over the period of a decade.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So the driving is great, story and VA are excellent, the shooting is well done and competent.

But, the linearity earns it an 80% score?

Vlodril

Dont mind linear games but the ten hours bit i found disappointing. Still going to get it , i just hoped for more. I miss big games.

beast786

At E3 I spent about 20 min on this game. And that review is pretty spot on. Funny thing is though I loved the linear SP. It didnt feel water downed.

pje122

Mrbob said:
Not full sandbox. There are open parts to the game, but it is more of a straight story driven experience. In some ways, I'd say this is similar to have the GTA expansions were done. Those games don't have a ton of freedom to them and a bit more compact, and I thought they were better than the main game for it.

I want to see how the story evolves, because I believe the story goes over the period of a decade.
Sounds good to me. I played Mafia... its just been awhile. I'm starting too feel a little sandboxed out anyway.

bee

every now and then a short'ish linear game is just what i want, just let the game take me where it wants and complete it relatively quickly (for me) in say a week or so. definitely not gonna be cancelling my pre order

Mashing

10 hours sucks, but everything else sounds ace. The best thing about the original game was the story and this looks like more of the same. But damn, 10 hours makes it hard to bite on.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
linear and 'cold' storyline are bad? those sound like good things to me.

golem

I don't know how much this particular magazine inflates their score, but 80% is damn low. Mafia 1 had its share of bugs and gameplay annoyances, but it was a great experience.

Rekubot

Dabanton said:
When does the demo for this come out?
10th August on all platforms. Will definitely try the demo but I've never played the original, so I don't really know what to expect.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
golem said:
I don't know how much this particular magazine inflates their score, but 80% is damn low. Mafia 1 had its share of bugs and gameplay annoyances, but it was a great experience.
The 80% probably reflects the lack of hype more than the lack of quality. Hence the weird complaints.

edit: Seriously, does this game have freeride? Can anyone confirm or deny its existence?

Is there any mention about free ride or free ride extreme?

for those who are complaining about the time and had off expectations based on other sandbox games, Mafia 1 wasn't like GTA or other 'sandbox' games. The full city is built for the story as a setting. It means you don't hit invisible walls during driving sections or things like that since it is designed to be believable. In Mafia 1 you had options that unlocked when you finished the game that opened up the city to mess around in and have other things to do. This is assuming it is following what the first game did.

If I remember correctly, The Getaway used its city in a similar way.

and just saying, 10 hours of solid game with great pacing is perfect. Way better than having a bloated game because they need to hit that mark. It is one reason I liked the GTA4 episodes more than the main game. But this is assuming it has free ride and other modes that unlock like in the first game.

Dan Yo

Banned
If by "linear" they mean that it's like the first game in terms of freedom, then I'm just fine with that. Wouldn't have minded a few shops or side missions to find but as long as you can roam freely as in the first and maybe unlock new cars like when doing jobs for that mechanic, then that is absolutely fine.

Only part I'm disappointed by is the 10-hour part. I really don't want Mafia to end so quickly after waiting more than 8 years for a sequel.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Dan Yo said:
If by "linear" they mean that it's like the first game in terms of freedom, then I'm just fine with that. Wouldn't have minded a few shops or side missions to find but as long as you can roam freely as in the first and maybe unlock new cars like when doing jobs for that mechanic, then that is absolutely fine.

Only part I'm disappointed by is the 10-hour part. I really don't want Mafia to end so quickly after waiting more than 8 years for a sequel.
It's just like the first game in terms of linearity. Each mission is a day in vito's life. It starts when you wake up and ends when you go to bed. You can mess around in between starting missions and there are shops, restaurants, garages, and even a car crusher to play around with. I'm not really worried about the 10 hour comment. It varies by the player. I usually take a long time for most games. Plus I'm convinced the quality of the missions will be very high.

Jack Scalici has confirmed that you are able to freeroam after the story, but he did not mention any details.

Haunted

10 hours? complaints about linearity?

Either the reviewer rushed through from mission to mission ignoring everything else (think Oblivion main quest) or they've changed a lot of what made Mafia 1 a true winner.

Zoso

BobsRevenge said:
Was the first game much longer than 10 hours itself?
probably 10-20 hours for most people. first time through it took me ~30

Dilly said:
smh

Have they played the first mafia?

Doesnt seem do.

The best thing that makes games like mafia (and to lesser extent other sandbox games like bully, that even if is more sandbox than mafia, its more linear than your normal GTA) is the main story linearity.
And just add that they usually have a great stroy, thats why I prefer games like the first Mafia and Bully to GTA.

BTW How many hours did the first mafia had? 10-15 hours? Dont remember correctly.

Haunted said:
10 hours? complaints about linearity?

Either the reviewer rushed through from mission to mission ignoring everything else (think Oblivion main quest) or they've changed a lot of what made Mafia 1 a true winner.

Sounds like Mafia to me.

I swear every single player game that comes out nowadays is greeted by cascades of the "x hours? Pass" complaint, so boring.

Haunted

I must've been thinking of a different Mafia game than you guys.

I think I spent 10 hours just driving up that one hill around the city mucking shit up in the first one.

Zoso said:
probably 10-20 hours for most people. first time through it took me ~30
*nods* That's more like it.

BobsRevenge

Haunted said:
I must've been thinking of a different Mafia game than you guys.

I think I spent 10 hours just driving up that one hill around the city mucking shit up in the first one.
Dude.

What is stopping you here?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
GitarooMan said:
I swear every single player game that comes out nowadays is greeted by cascades of the "x hours? Pass" complaint, so boring.
Well with people coming off Red Dead, a game that feels similar but is double to triple the length of this there are certain expectations.

At ten hours my expectations for the shooting would be at the level of something as well done as Gears of War. If they could hit that I'd be happy, but in general games with an open world/driving as a theme tend to have somewhat shoddy shooting mechanics, a trend propagated by Rockstars latest games. Hopefully Mafia 2 delivers something better than that, but it is fighting a negative perception about open world games.

Haunted

BobsRevenge said:
Dude.

What is stopping you here?
Since I know nothing about how Mafia II actually plays, I took the "extremely linear driver and shooter" from that review as it being restrictive to that kind of activity, different from the first one. Why else would he need to highlight/comment this as he did?

If it's not (and it's more like Mafia 1), all the better! I think I said as much in my first post in this thread.

edit: I certainly remember spending much more time than 10 hours in Mafia. I suspect the reviewer must've done some kind of review rush through all the missions ASAP to have ended up at that time in a game with a scope like Mafia (II).

BobsRevenge

Haunted said:
Since I know nothing about how Mafia II actually plays, I took the "extremely linear driver and shooter" from that review as it being restrictive to that kind of activity, different from the first one. Why else would he need to highlight/comment this as he did?

If it's not (and it's more like Mafia 1), all the better! I think I said as much in my first post in this thread.

edit: I certainly remember spending much more time than 10 hours in Mafia. I suspect the reviewer must've done some kind of review rush through all the missions ASAP to have ended up at that time in a game with a scope like Mafia (II).
I spent, like, 50 hours playing Mafia. But most of that was in freeride/freeride extreme.

BobsRevenge said:
Was the first game much longer than 10 hours itself?

It was under 20 when I first played it, I think 15 or so. I'm planning on replaying it before Mafia 2 comes out so we'll see how long it lasts.

I think if people have problems with the length, it is more because they think it is a GTA or Saints Row style game. Maybe it is their fault of the marketing leads you to believe that. To me it sounds very similar to Mafia 1.

All I hope is that there isn't a busted race that requires a patch or cheating to pass.

adelante

I've never played the first Mafia so pardon my ignorance, but was the game set up like Alan Wake? ie. sandbox world with a linear gameplay...maybe those who've played both those games can shed some light on similarities, if any?

Dilly

Banned
Main storyline is probably 10 hours rushed.

I usually take my time with games like these, I want to enjoy the atmosphere while playing. Besides, I replayed Mafia 1 multiple times, I hope that Mafia 2 has that same replayability.

Feeling pretty confident about Mafia 2, it's the same dev team like the first one so why shouldn't it be good.

Haunted

adelante said:
I've never played the first Mafia so pardon my ignorance, but was the game set up like Alan Wake? ie. sandbox world with a linear gameplay...maybe those who've played both those games can shed some light on similarities, if any?
There's nothing sandboxy about Alan Wake, there's [invisible] walls everywhere making sure there's only one way to progress (slightly larger maps featuring driving notwithstanding).

In Mafia, you could drive anywhere in the city and I think even to the countryside (Bob, correct me on this if I'm wrong) whenever you wanted.

BobsRevenge

Haunted said:
In Mafia, you could drive anywhere in the city and I think even to the countryside (Bob, correct me on this if I'm wrong) whenever you wanted.
Some parts of the city (like chinatown and the countryside) are unlocked as you go along. But yeah, other than that its a completely open.

Dyno

I don't mind linear, so long as the game is polished and has good atmosphere.

If it's on par with Adam Wake, I'll be a happy man.

Yasae said:
Ten hours? I'm glad they wanted such a brilliant presentation, but you gotta double that number at least.

Yeah, I remember Mafia I being way longer. Still getting it day 1 since I'm a Mafia whore :(

adelante

Haunted said:
There's nothing sandboxy about Alan Wake, there's [invisible] walls everywhere making sure there's only one way to progress (slightly larger maps featuring driving notwithstanding).

Yeah you can't free roam in Alan Wake but it had a fully realized setting with background elements that don't just serve as beautiful backdrops but actual places you'd be visiting later, revealing its sandbox roots. In a perfect world, linear singleplayer games would be developed this way (a petpeeve of mine is when distant buildings are not given enough attention to detail haha)

10hr linear experience in a detailed world is enough to make Mafia2 a definite buy, can't wait! :D

Top Bottom