• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 2 PC first review- 80%

speedpop said:
So basically this thread is filled with people who have most likely never played Mafia before?

Tbh, I just couldn't see past the crappy graphics and horrible driving when I played it a few years ago. I guess I was just too lttp.

This one looks great and the story length doesn't really concern me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Does that really matter? If Red Dead Redemption was a linear shooter like it's predecessor then I would be disappointed in that too.

I just expected Mafia 2 would evolve a lot from the first game, that's all.
I don't believe becoming an open world game should be considered "evolving". Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of games that attempt to deliver a huge, open world at the expense of everything else.

I do appreciate the concept of what an open world game brings to the table, but in most cases, things fall flat for me.

That's why Mafia was such an interesting game. It delivered a large, open world and simply used it to compliment the well design, linear missions. It enriched an otherwise linear action game.

Going full sandbox with Mafia II would be a huge downgrade for the series. We don't need another bloody sandbox game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
dark10x said:
I don't believe becoming an open world game should be considered "evolving". Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of games that attempt to deliver a huge, open world at the expense of everything else.

I'm thinking about getting this tattooed on my chest..

Yasae

Banned
dark10x said:
Just like I don't believe RE4 is an evolution of the franchise? Because that certainly came at the expense of certain things, too.
MMaRsu said:
Have you played it?
Have you ever told somebody what they think a game's worth and had it work out? No? Okay then.

If I'm staring into the face of god for 10-15 hours, that would be worth it.

MMaRsu

Banned
GeoramA said:
Well shit. I'm not pre-ordering now unless I get $20 back at Amazon or something.

I played some awesome open world games this year (Just Cause 2/RDR/GTA IV Episodes) and I expected Mafia 2 to be up there with them, but we're getting a linear shooter instead.

So disappointed.

:lol

This is still an awesome open world game. Jesus Christ can't some of you fucks at least wait for a demo before deciding not to buy it? Fucking ridiculous :lol :lol :lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The first mafia is the best GTA ever made....

If the 2nd is anything close to the quality of the 1st one, then I'm all over this

Dilly

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Tbh, I just couldn't see past the crappy graphics and horrible driving when I played it a few years ago. I guess I was just too lttp.

What?

The graphics are decent even when replaying it now, it only has a huge pop in problem.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
dark10x said:
Going full sandbox with Mafia II would be a huge downgrade for the series. We don't need another bloody sandbox game.
exactly!

To me, Mafia takes the best elements of linear shooters and sandbox games and melds it into one. We get the great open world of a sandbox game and the tight gameplay and narrative of a linear shooter. I think it's a good mix.

I'm not really sure why some people consider Mafia's linearity a bad thing. Just like GTA you can explore the city between missions, go to shops, restaurants, steal cars, change clothes, interact with the police & pedestrians, upgrade your car, etc. The main difference is that you won't have multiple mission givers. But I don't see how that even changes anything. In GTA it doesn't matter if you do Roman's or Little Jacob's mission first - they're still gonna be the same missions and the game is still going to progress the same way. So why is it bad in Mafia? Because we can't go to the comedy club or go bowling with Roman?

dark10x

Just like I don't believe RE4 is an evolution of the franchise? Because that certainly came at the expense of certain things, too.
That's more of a specific example that you simply didn't enjoy. You're only mentioning that because RE4 is a popular game.

My complaints center more on the fact that there are a lot of blanket statements out there suggesting that making "game X" a sandbox game would have made it a much better product. It's not just a single game scenario. Many a critic (both "professional" and otherwise) have suggested as much.

dark10x

Still debating on whether to buy the PC version or stick with the 360 version.

The problem with some PC ports arises when they are just shy of running perfectly. I hate when a PC game hits 60 fps 90% of the time but drops hard at random points preventing it from feeling smooth. If the 360 version is a locked 30 fps I would prefer that, I think.

If I can get 60 fps 99% of the time on the PC, though, and it supports the 360 pad, I'm in.

bee

bit weird that but of no real concern to me since its a steamworks game right? if it is i'll be buying the cheaper retail version installing to steam then throwing the disc and box in the bin like i did with all my other steamworks games

sflufan

Banned
bee said:
bit weird that but of no real concern to me since its a steamworks game right? if it is i'll be buying the cheaper retail version installing to steam then throwing the disc and box in the bin like i did with all my other steamworks games

Yes, it's a Steamworks game so you're fine with a retail version.

Mrbob

dark10x said:
Still debating on whether to buy the PC version or stick with the 360 version.

The problem with some PC ports arises when they are just shy of running perfectly. I hate when a PC game hits 60 fps 90% of the time but drops hard at random points preventing it from feeling smooth. If the 360 version is a locked 30 fps I would prefer that, I think.

If I can get 60 fps 99% of the time on the PC, though, and it supports the 360 pad, I'm in.

Why don't you just lock the PC version at 30fps.

_Alkaline_ said:
I have two questions:

1. What's wrong with being linear?

2. What's wrong with being 10 hours?

The majority of games could do with having a tighter design.

1. It makes for a better game

2. It makes for a better game

People should stop bitching, if the game is good, narrative interesting and game is fun then it really doesn't matter if it's 4 or 10 hours.

Vinterbird said:
People should stop bitching, if the game is good, narrative interesting and game is fun then it really doesn't matter if it's 4 or 10 hours.

Do people still bitch about the 10 hours in this thread, or are people just bitching about people bitching? :D

I just really hope the PS3 version runs as well as the 360 version. I also hope that shooting is mapped to R1! Maybe Bish can verify! From the trailers, the game looks fantastic!!!

Yasae

Banned
dark10x said:
That's more of a specific example that you simply didn't enjoy. You're only mentioning that because RE4 is a popular game.

My complaints center more on the fact that there are a lot of blanket statements out there suggesting that making "game X" a sandbox game would have made it a much better product. It's not just a single game scenario. Many a critic (both "professional" and otherwise) have suggested as much.
No, I'm mentioning RE4 because it's an entirely different game from its predecessors, not a full-on evolution.

I see it exactly the same as the sandbox argument, the co-op argument, the multiplayer argument, the why-do-they-have-turn-based-fighting argument, the tank controls argument, the inverted controls argument, even nitpicking like the needs-AA argument. Will those evolve the game? Not definitively. It's a flimsy position. They're all subjective changes.

Moving on to others' arguments: I enjoy non-linear titles (Elder Scrolls, GTA) but also the extremely linear (Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Metal Gear Solid.) None of those directions bother me. However, all of the games mentioned have certainly gone above the ten hour mark with all their features accounted for (replays, multiplayer, branching paths, sidequests, secrets etc.) For $50-60, that's roughly what I expect, because the bar has been set by other games I've played. And yet... Somehow this is unreasonable?

No, I think not.

Gacha-pin

Mrbob said:
Playstation Blog entry about the dlc package (which is free for new buyers on PS3):

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/06/mafia-iis-ps3-exclusive-dlc-the-betrayal-of-jimmy/

I'm a bit confused by the wording...does this mean this DLC will never be on PC or 360? Not just time exclusive, but never on the other platforms? Also talk of a 2nd exclusive DLC in the article as well.

Now I'm stuck between PC and PS3.

"The Jimmy’s Vendetta" will be available on all the platforms.

"The Betrayal of Jimmy" for PS3. It's a prequel story of The Jimmy's Vendetta. I don't know if it's timed exclusive or permanent though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
993m8w.jpg

This thread... six hours? That's cause for concern. Ten hours or more? That's pretty much the average length of any AAA blockbuster game that came out this generation (not counting multiplayer of course). What's the big deal?

dark10x said:

I do appreciate the concept of what an open world game brings to the table, but in most cases, things fall flat for me.

That's why Mafia was such an interesting game. It delivered a large, open world and simply used it to compliment the well design, linear missions. It enriched an otherwise linear action game.

110% agree.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Beautiful, if it's steamworks i'll probably use my gamestation credit and just get it there.

The actual missions in GTAIV were often extremely linear. I felt that was a bigger problem than 'the type of linearity' I seem to recall from the first Mafia. Like many others have said, it expertly combined an open world with a (really good) linear story.

I still have pretty high hopes for Mafia 2.

PjotrStroganov said:

The driving got better once some time had passed (in the game) and better cars appeared on the streets.

The graphics are a bit rough, but hey the game's 8 years old (goddamn that's a long time ago). The layout of the city was really convincing though and the interior locations were way, waaay better than whatever any of the GTAs had to offer.

Fallout-NL said:
The graphics are a bit rough, but hey the game's 8 years old (goddamn that's a long time ago). The layout of the city was really convincing though and the interior locations were way, waaay better than whatever any of the GTAs had to offer.

wat. I just played it yesterday and was super impressed considering its age. The facial animations in cut scenes are still impressive today.

TheLegendary said:
wat. I just played it yesterday and was super impressed considering its age. The facial animations in cut scenes are still impressive today.

Yes, 'rough' is probably the wrong word when I think of it. Maybe some elements have aged. But on the whole, especially considering the fact that it's almost a decade old, it looks really good.

Gacha-pin

TheLegendary said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI6j6ZlZE0A
Yes, it's still impressive. I love this intro movie(*´ 3 `)

I remember that the first Mafia also got many complaints about the game length or lack of free roam elements from GTA3 fans who thought of Mafia as a GTA clone or an open world game. The game is more like a mission based TPS than a sandbox open world game.

Mrbob

dark10x said:
How? Is this a dx9 game? The fps limiter program only works on dx9 games.

Most games normally have a framerate min and max option in the config file. It is possible this game may not, as I was just assuming Mafia 2 would have it.

Thought i would bump this with the demo release target times straight from 2k themselves.. poor ps3 players.

PS3 North America: August 10, 4 - 6 PM PT / August 11, 12 AM – 2 AM GMT
PS3 International: August 11, 12:01 - 6 AM PT / August 11, 8 AM - 2 PM GMT
Xbox 360: August 10, 2 - 4 AM PT / August 10, 10 AM – 12 PM GMT
PC: August 10, 12 AM PT / August 10, 8 AM GMT

grabbing the pc demo off steam now...

edit:

just tried the demo - its short but fun...driving is a bit 'clunky' but the shooting is fun...they also did a really nice job with the voice acting and characters...have not explored the city much yet but they time limit you in the demo...

one strange thing is after i exited the demo my screen was really dim...had to reboot to fix it (win7 64 w/5850 ati card)

Dennis

Banned
Zoso said:
From that link.

Official Xbox Magazine UK:7/10
LEVEL Magazine (SWEDEN): 7/10, Second Opinion 9/10
Official Playstation Magazine UK: 7/10
PC ZONE (UK): 80%
OXM Australia: 8/10
Games Master (UK): 84/100
Games Aktuell (GER): PC: 88%, PS3: 87%, XBOX 360: 87%
Gameplay (DANISH): 9/10