• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson confirms Deal of the Week on XBLM starting Feb 23rd.

pr0cs

I wasn't going to buy Braid, I'm not normally a fan of trial and error type games but stupid sales like this entice me to spend more.

why would they have a sale that excludes almost half of their members?

i mean, i already have gold till 2010 and already have braid, but i will never see the logic in the whole demos gold thing and especially this promotion.

why would someone who has silver spend $30, $50 or even more other countries to save $5 or less?

f3niks

soqquatto said:
lol @... no, wait, just plain old 'fuck you'. I don't care for Live and I still want to play Braid without paying 1200 points (there's plenty of codes running around anyway) AND you're in no position to judge another person's budget.

Thank you. Saves me the time from having to post the same.

Oh god damn it...

Just bought Braid last night for full price. At least the game is well worth it. Still sucks though. Could've gotten a couple more Rock Band songs with those extra 400 points.

The Faceless Master said:

i mean, i already have gold till 2010 and already have braid, but i will never see the logic in the whole demos gold thing and especially this promotion.

why would someone who has silver spend $30, $50 or even more other countries to save $5 or less?
Seems pushing people to covert into Live Gold is much more attractive motive for MS.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I play the 360 online so rarely that I would probably just lose money going Gold just for these deals. Pretty silly.

MirageDwarf said:
Seems pushing people to covert into Live Gold is much more attractive motive for MS.
well, from that leaked document, gold has been dropping, and may soon be below 50%, if it's not already, so they're not doing a very good job of that.

Quixzlizx

Dax01 said:
Spending money to get money sounds equally silly when you put it like that.

You aren't actually saving any money if you don't use any of Gold's other features. If you buy a $3 box of cereal to get the free toy when you can buy the toy separately for $.50, and then throw out the cereal, are you saving money?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really wanna buy this but I'm afraid to add my visa card to my profile because I got gold membership with a code and I don't want microsoft to use my card to renew my gold membership when it ends in December.

Proc said:
Why segment and alienate their userbase based on one of their products?
Flipped around... why not provide incentives for someone on the fence about a gold membership to jump in or reward people who already have? This is all pretty standard business practice.

Bamelin said:
I was.

The loss of content due to EXCLU$IVES on Quore on PSN hasn't been as bad though as how badly Xbox Live Silver members get screwed over.

On PSN it's usually one demo a month (Quore). On XBL it's almost everything worth having.

Well then that actually could justify having a gold account. I fully understand not wanting to pay but considering all of my monthly bills Xbox Live is at the VERY bottom as far as cost. I really never could understand anyone being upset over 4 bucks a month yet I see what they spend piles of money on in the pick up thread.

I wish it was free also but it really is not that big of a deal. For half the cost of a movie you get a month of live... But we have been down this road before, those that are against it will always be no matter if it was a dollar a month.

Meier

Dimmuxx said:
I really wanna buy this but I'm afraid to add my visa card to my profile because I got gold membership with a code and I don't want microsoft to use my card to renew my gold membership when it ends in December.
You could always buy a points card from the store if you're concerned about them having your CC#.

Artadius

How is this any different than you folks getting pissed at Sam's Club members from getting discounts on items?

That's not fair! I'm not a member and I can't buy that 5 gallon tub of nacho cheeeeeeeeseeee. Fuck yooouuuuu!

Heh, actually, my Sam's here lets anyone buy their gas. But as a member, I get it for five cents a gallon cheaper. Hell yeah, perks for being a member are great. You want the discount, sign up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The problem is that Microsoft has done limited timed promotions in the past that opened up to all members. Now recently they have made these discounts to gold members only. They are simply just taking out features from silver members to increase the value of a gold subscription.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meier said:
You could always buy a points card from the store if you're concerned about them having your CC#.

I don't really care if they have it, I just don't want them to use it to renew my gold membership when my prepaid membership ends in december.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Dimmuxx said:

Go to Xbox.com Marketpalce > My Account > Manage Payment Options > Remove the card you don't want to use

Wario64 said:
The problem is that Microsoft has done limited timed promotions in the past that opened up to all members. Now recently they have made these discounts to gold members only. They are simply just taking out features from silver members to increase the value of a gold subscription.

Is that not how every subscription based system works if it has a number of levels of membership?

Fewr

Bamihap said:
What about Europe? On xbox.com it's still 1200.
I'm not in Europe, but I checked xbox.com and saw it was 1200. I then logged in and checked again, and after a few clicks it turned into 800.

Firestorm said:
Does he mean every single week from now on or for a limited time only?

Already own Braid and have no interest in the others mentioned =(

I listened to the podcast and from the language he used, it seems as though every Monday there is going to be a new deal on XBLM going forward. He didn't mention a time frame, and he even made a comment about them having plenty of content to use. So it seems as though every Monday will start a new sale and every Wednesday will have a new arcade game. Pretty good idea.

Hoping this helps Braid sell a few thousand more copies as well.

Ponn

Banned
bigGIRLSblouse said:
Just curious. Were you this upset over Qore exclusive demos?

It isn't nearly as bad Xbox live silver/gold. Whereas its EVERY demo with XBL its one demo every other month with PSN. Guess what, I played the afro samurai demo last week on PSN but its still locked for me on XBL.

Yes, I would bitch if that changes and they create a new paying tier for PSN or make QORE the exact same as the XBL Gold/Silver Shenanigans.

Psychotext said:
Because you've still got access to the same things at the same time? Paying customer gets discounts, doesn't sound to me like the non-paying customer gets screwed.

I honestly have no idea how you can post that with a straight face. Lets use a real world example.

I don't play online with XBL. Paying for Gold is a waste of money for me. I would like to get Braid at the cheaper rate, but paying for XBL would actually cost me more since the multiplayer aspect does absolutely nothing for me. Hence I would be screwed either way. Oh well, i'm not buying Braid then.

Hey, thats alright. I'm just voicing a concern. I can live without with all the other games out there, the question is if MS is listening or do they even give a shit. I can take it or leave it really, but just letting them know how I feel about it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The Faceless Master said:

I agree. Silver members are customers, too.

Makes me love Steam even more. Steam's model is pretty much perfect. Microsoft seems to be the antithesis of Steam when it comes to selling games. I really hope the next console uses Steam. If the PS3 or PS4 and Valve were somehow able to work out a business relation, I think it would be a massive success.

But I will take deals of the week over nothing on XBL. Maybe the success will make more deals happen per week.

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Is that not how every subscription based system works if it has a number of levels of membership?
the point Wario64 was making is silver got the demos and promotions, and instead of making gold better, they made silver worse.

gold still offers the same amount of value it always had.

Blueblur1

Not interested in Braid at all. I might consider it if it was dirt cheap (400 points or less) but I'm not going to spend $10 on something I'm pretty sure I won't like.

Ponn01 said:
I honestly have no idea how you can post that with a straight face.
It's really very easy.

Ponn01 said:
I don't play online with XBL. Paying for Gold is a waste of money for me. I would like to get Braid at the cheaper rate, but paying for XBL would actually cost me more since the multiplayer aspect does absolutely nothing for me.
You think that maybe, possibly this deal isn't really aimed at you? They're trying to give people who might be interested in a gold membership a little extra incentive. You're obviously not interested, you just want Braid cheaper. Obviously it's going to cost you more otherwise the deal doesn't work out from a business perspective does it.

I do see the argument made by others that this is actually taking away promotions from silver users... but we don't know that's actually happened yet (they were previously a here and there thing, rather than this which is obviously weekly.).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
soqquatto said:
lol @... no, wait, just plain old 'fuck you'. I don't care for Live and I still want to play Braid without paying 1200 points (there's plenty of codes running around anyway) AND you're in no position to judge another person's budget.
I don't think this is about money. This is about entitlement. Gamers are one of the most spoiled types of consumers. We have enjoyed constant prices and increasing value for years. So gamers are extremely sensitive to any changes that run contrary to this trend.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
bryehn said:
Really surprised that this sale is only for gold members, seems counter-productive.

dam dam and dam, was actually just going to purchase it until I read that, that really is stupid, I don't play games on-line so why would I need live ? seems unfair to me.

Twig

Banned
lowrider007 said:
dam dam and dam, was actually just going to purchase it until I read that, that really is stupid, I don't play games on-line so why would I need live ? seems unfair to me.
Pretty much.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Narpas Sword0 said:
tried it on an expired card:

This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Please contact Xbox LIVE Customer Support.

I'm sure they will be happy to auto-bill that expired card though.

Yeah that seems like the microsoft I know. It seems that they won't renew gold membership automatically if you have a prepaid membership at least.

I was waiting for Braid to drop in price, but because it's Gold only (I don't have the time/lifestyle to play online) I guess my wait continues. :(

No sale from me MS, not that you corporate ****s give a shit.

M3wThr33

Banned
The problem isn't that they are giving bonuses to Gold members, they're taking away rights from silver members, like PATCHES for Burnout or SALES for anyone.

Mrbob

How will digital content transfer to the next xbox?

800 points is decent, but I'll be able to get it for 10 dollars on pc ( hopefully steam) soon enough if I wait. Then that PC copy will still work 5 years down the road. Can't say the same for a XBLA purchase moving from one system to the next.

And yes, Live is getting its ass kicked by Steam.

border

Psychotext said:
You think that maybe, possibly this deal isn't really aimed at you? They're trying to give people who might be interested in a gold membership a little extra incentive.
The problem is that there isn't anybody on this proverbial fence. I don't think you'll find anyone in this or any other related thread that's said, "Oh, well I'll sign up for Gold now!". The gap between someone who will pay $50 a year for a service and someone who refuses to do so is pretty huge. Some mild, time-limited discounts aren't going to to change much of anything.

This will alienate more people than it will entice -- which is ultimately the issue.

Oddly enough I was speaking to two people that renewed their gold accounts (previously expired) this weekend to get the deal. There may not be many on the fence, but there are some.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ugh, my boy was going to bite but he doesn't have an xbox gold membership.

anyone have a 48 hour gold trial they don't mind donating to me?

Top Bottom