• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson confirms Deal of the Week on XBLM starting Feb 23rd.

kuYuri

In the comments section on his blog for the latest show, Major Nelson confirms Ninja Gaiden II Mission Mode add-on is the next Deal of the Week for 560 points ($7.00). I will provide the link in the OP once it's live and after I wake up.

Haeleos

Strider2K99 said:
In the comments section for the latest show, Major Nelson confirms Ninja Gaiden II Mission Mode add-on is the next Deal of the Week for 560 points ($7.00). I will provide the link in the OP once it's live and after I wake up.

Still not worth it.

Braid was advertised as 30% off too. That seems to be the number they are going with for this deal o the week thing. Braid just got a hidden 3% because it's special.

Which sucks. They should at least do multiple deals at a time if it's going to be so puny.

Mamesj

Banned
Wario64 said:
560 points? Were they 800 points before?

Doesnt sound that great of a deal

Horrible deal, actually. The missions are not nearly as good and interesting as NGBlack. They're basically little slices of the game with the occasional boss fight thrown in.

Aaron

Next deal should be the wonder packs for Civilization Revolution. Damn, I want them, but 300pts per pack is insane. Mission packs are only 100pts.

Christopher

shintoki said:
Guess I'm going download the demo for Braid tonight and try it out ^_^. I do admit, this is the best thing since removing trail games on my card for XBL. Still kinda wish they were more serious with the Arcade Hits.

Being honest, If 30dollars are that much of a hassle. You shouldn't be playing games to begin with.

What a fucking stupid thing to say, no really.

billy.sea

Banned
Can you use point card from another country?

I got some point card from Canada (I am from US) and I can't get them to redeem it to my account.

YagizY

Add-on content is part of this deal of the week stuff? That seems stupid to me. I feel like it should be xbl arcade games. I mean that would appeal to a wider audience. So this deal of the week is a bust for anyone that doesn't already own Ninja Gaiden? I dunno, just seems stupid to me.

kuYuri

Next Deal of the Week is Project Gotham Racing 4 Premium Challenge Pack. Originally at 400 points, it will be 240 points, a 40% savings.

Firestorm

billy.sea said:
Can you use point card from another country?

I got some point card from Canada (I am from US) and I can't get them to redeem it to my account.
Points Cards are region-locked. Canada has 1250 (discontinued), 1400, and 2800 cards. US has 1600, and I think 4000 cards.

Everdred

Strider2K99 said:
Next Deal of the Week is Project Gotham Racing 4 Premium Challenge Pack. Originally at 400 points, it will be 240 points, a 40% savings.
Nice! I just got PGR4 through the Xbox Live Gold Pack/Watchmen bestbuy deal. Might buy this.

The PGR4 pack was a bargain at 400pts, at 240pt there is no excuse. (Unless of course you don't own the game.... or like it, ya wierdo)

I think its worth it alone for the VW Golf W12, insane little car. New challenges are always welcome, although some of the Platinum+ events are beyond my skillz. There is also a great litte 'cheat mode' where you race from the pov of the tv cameras.

Just wish that there was more than one piece of content available at discount each week, kind of suck waiting for something that you own to come along. :(

kuYuri

Xbox LIVE has your pot ‘o gold this St. Patrick’s Day, with the exclusive Xbox LIVE Deal of the Week. Starting March 16, Xbox LIVE Gold members can enjoy “Fable,” the beloved RPG classic from Peter Molyneux and Lionhead Studios, for only 800 Microsoft Points – one third off the retail price.

After you’ve had your fill ‘o “Fable,” check out the “Battlestations Midway: Iowa Mission Pack” Game Add-on, offered at 20 percent off during the week of March 23. The end of the rainbow is a huge 50 percent discount on the award-winning Xbox LIVE Arcade title, “Alien Hominid HD,” available starting March 30 for only 400 Microsoft Points!

From Game Add-ons and Xbox LIVE Arcade games, to classic Xbox Originals, the Xbox LIVE Deal of the Week shares the luck ‘o the Irish this March with fantastic prices, exclusively for Xbox LIVE Gold members. For just over $4 a month, Xbox LIVE Gold members get the full set of features from the industry’s top multiplayer gaming and entertainment network, including streaming Netflix movies and early access to the latest demos, trailers and more. With deals like these, there’s never been a better time to go for the Gold!

http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/archive/2009/03/13/562938.aspx

Setting aside 400 points for Alien Hominid then.

sionyboy said:
I think its worth it alone for the VW Golf W12, insane little car.

Yep, I always go out of my way to use that car. The overall content of that PGR4 pack was indeed a deal at 400 pts.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Strider2K99 said:
Don't buy it and go for The Lost Chapters on disc. You can easily find it for $10 at stores.

Thanks - so weird that the DLC version doesn't include Lost Chapters. I thought they would have bundled that in by now.

kuYuri

As mentioned earlier, this weeks deal is Fable on Xbox Originals, normally at 1200 points, on sale for 800 points.

Don't bother with this and find a copy of Fable: The Lost Chapters on disc. It already costs $10 (It's a Best of Platinum Hits).

kswiston

I wish Microsoft would stick to XBLA or Xbox originals titles for its deal of the week. Unless it's something like Halo 3 or COD4, most gold members are not going to own whatever game they are offering discounted DLC for. What's the point of a weekly sale for gold members when 90% of gold members can't even take advantage of the deal?

Personally, if the deal of the week was always an XBLA title, I would probably bite once or twice a month as I did with Braid. If the deal is going to be mainly geared towards DLC they'll probably get next to no money from me. I can count the number of DLC items I'd consider buying if they were discounted on one hand missing a few fingers.

kuYuri

Just because gaffers don't play Battlestations: Midway doesn't mean other people don't. :p

I like the fact that they aren't just sticking with XBLA games, but also going for add-ons. We already know next week is Alien Hominid HD, so they are somewhat trying to do a balance of content discounts.

border

Strider2K99 said:
Just because gaffers don't play Battlestations: Midway doesn't mean other people don't. :p
Battlestations: Midway did not even make the Top 10 chart of Most Played 360 games when it was released (see here, here, here, and here).

I don't mind the idea of having DLC sales, but they literally discounted it by 1 dollar. One. Dollar. For DLC on a 2 year-old game nobody wanted to play when it was new. I gotta think they can do better than that for a weeklong sale - at least it'd be hard for them to do worse.

Gowans

20% off unpopular DLC on a unpopular game is teribble, have they learnt nothing from steam sales.

It should be 80% off sales on decent content (I do like the fact they switch it around between content types tho).

How about some originals at 400points.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
border said:
Battlestations: Midway did not even make the Top 10 chart of Most Played 360 games when it was released (see here, here, here, and here).

I don't mind the idea of having DLC sales, but they literally discounted it by 1 dollar. One. Dollar. For DLC on a 2 year-old game nobody wanted to play when it was new. I gotta think they can do better than that for a weeklong sale - at least it'd be hard for them to do worse.

Really. What could have been worse?

goddam

kuYuri

border said:

Who cares if it made the LIVE activity list or not? If a game didn't make it in the top 10 list, it's automatic fail? We don't know exactly why it's discounted, maybe the publishers wanted it, who knows. You and I don't actually know how much it sold. But according to this:

http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php?gt=&g=188&z=&c=&x=56&y=17

Some 100k people are ranked on the leaderboards, That's still potential sales right there for the DLC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Strider2K99 said:
Who cares if it made the LIVE activity list or not? If a game didn't make it in the top 10 list, it's automatic fail? We don't know exactly why it's discounted, maybe the publishers wanted it, who knows. You and I don't actually know how much it sold. But according to this:

http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php?gt=&g=188&z=&c=&x=56&y=17

Some 100k people are ranked on the leaderboards, That's still potential sales right there for the DLC.

Okay, fine.

Assuming 100k people all bought the game, there are no duplicates whatsoever, no one traded or sold the game, no one got it used, and they're all gold so they have access to the sale, and NONE of them bought the DLC, and ALL of them are going to buy the DLC during this sale. As in, assume you're the most possible right and everyone else is the most possible wrong. It's still only $1 for those 100k people.

Now assume the 100k is legit, there's no duplicates, yadda yadda, but only 10% of them are able/willing to buy the DLC during this sale. This is still too generous when you logically think about it. So this is still a generous scenario.

Total savings to consumers under both scenarios: 100k / 10k
Total extra profit for XBLA under both scenarios: 400k / 40k
Total extra profit for Microsoft under both scenarios: 120k / 12k

This is an irrelevant sale.

Now imagine they did a 50% off on Knothole Island, and realize that in fifteen minutes all three of those categories would be higher than the full week for that.

kuYuri

Stumpokapow said:
Okay, fine.

Assuming 100k people all bought the game, there are no duplicates whatsoever, no one traded or sold the game, no one got it used, and they're all gold so they have access to the sale, and NONE of them bought the DLC, and ALL of them are going to buy the DLC during this sale. As in, assume you're the most possible right and everyone else is the most possible wrong. It's still only $1 for those 100k people.

Now assume the 100k is legit, there's no duplicates, yadda yadda, but only 10% of them are able/willing to buy the DLC during this sale. This is still too generous when you logically think about it. So this is still a generous scenario.

Now imagine they did a 50% off on Knothole Island, and realize that in fifteen minutes all three of those categories would be higher than the full week for that.

*shrug*

Maybe it is irrelevant, maybe it isn't. I don't know exactly how much DLC has to sell for it to be considered a success or not, it makes no difference to me. The sale is still going on. People maybe happy with it, people will think it's stupid. But it is what it is.

Mrbob

One dollar savings on DLC for a two year old game...this should be a supplimentary sale to the real deal of the week. :/

MS needs to step it up. 50 percent UBI Days week on Steam, MS getting owned again by Valve. Oh well I'm used to it by now.

kswiston

Stumpokapow said:
Okay, fine.

This is what I was trying to get at. Mygamercard.net only tracks 1.5-2 million US live accounts, so 100k is an underestimate, but lets say the game sold 300k. Lets also say that 5M of the 15M+ US/Canadian 360 owners have a gold account.

300k/5000k = 0.06

So basically, 6% of gold members can take advantage of this deal, assuming that 300k people still own Battlestations: Midway and all of them have XBL gold.

A sale that excludes 95% of your potential customers right off the bat is a bad sale. If they are going to include DLC in the weekly deals, than they should limit it to the titles that have cleared at least 1 million units in North America.

Top Bottom