• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man assault woman for disagreeing

jolof96

I actually find it annoying that he lost his job. It’s not related, business are just pussy as fuck these days.

That said he should be punished in a court of law. What he did was assault and should be treated as such.
It is part of my contract that if I bring my employer into disrepute, I can be sacked. this could mean being in the news for any negative reason and it merely being pointed out who I work for.

Im assuming this is the same reason why he has been terminated by his employer...reflects badly on them

4) Two women and two men can't naturally conceive together, and there are many ethical hiccups to that. I haven't heard of anything that would suggest that this is possible or becoming possible.
Natural doesn't mean much. An animal using tools, what they do is unnatural in some sense, but in another it is not.

It has already happened in animals supposedly, and it is expected to be possible with humans in the coming decades.
Within a decade or two, researchers say, scientists will likely be able to create a baby from human skin cells that have been coaxed to grow into eggs and sperm and used to create embryos to implant in a womb.

The process, in vitro gametogenesis, or I.V.G., so far has been used only in mice. But stem cell biologists say it is only a matter of time before it could be used in human reproduction — opening up mind-boggling possibilities.

With I.V.G., two men could have a baby that was biologically related to both of them, by using skin cells from one to make an egg that would be fertilized by sperm from the other. Women with fertility problems could have eggs made from their skin cells, rather than go through the lengthy and expensive process of stimulating their ovaries to retrieve their eggs.
-nytimes.com

Also, isn't cloning taking the genetic information out of the ovum and replacing it with another? In that instance, it would be akin to conception.
The articles presented show that it may be the case that one of your skin cells can be turned into an ovum or a sperm. The right coaxing and a single cell may be able to turn into a cell equivalent in function to a zygote too, but that has not yet been shown.
Are you talking about something going wrong where the baby dies in the womb yet the tissue still develops?
It might not die till after birth, it can be living, say it develops with anencephaly, it is still living and may be born alive. But without a brain it is not human.
What you are talking about are miscarriages. Miscarriages are tragedies. I don't think many women would have a miscarriage and think "Oh well, it was just a bunch of human tissue". There are many people who mourn over the death over their unborn children in miscarriages.
What the heck are you talking about with outlawing natural reproduction? Pro life people are against people killing babies, but if a woman has a miscarriage she isn't a murderer. She can't control what happens to the child in that instance. NO ONE is arguing for arresting women who miscarry.
Many miscarriages happen without the woman knowing she was even pregnant to begin with, no mourning ever taking place.

What I'm saying is that say artificial reproduction in an artificial womb had a 0.00001% chance of miscarriage. Would natural reproduction carrying up to 50% of miscarriage be acceptable?

This is the same type of argument regards automated cars vs human drivers, if automated cars do not have accidents and human driving results in vast human death, human driving should be outlawed.

Likewise if it can be shown artificial reproduction all but eliminates death of zygotes, and you believe the zygote to be human, then to reduce human death natural reproduction would have to be outlawed.

Note that there is no chance of spontaneous abortion if good enough contraceptives are used.
Also, you keep comparing biology to machines and I keep saying that, yes, they are similar. Machines and human beings are both made to accomplish tasks, but they are very different things and that is rather self evident. A machine is an unthinking tool, whereas people are not.
Cells are a kind of naturally occurring machinery. Synthetic biology is the modification of said machinery towards desired function, and even with novel changes, one day synthetic cells and synthetic humans will likely be produced. May be decades or centuries, but unless progress comes to an end that is the future.
I do find that ethically troubling, and I don't know the ramifications of this. Though I doubt we will ever get pig-men thankfully. However, we have to ask ourselves what is the cost of putting human characteristics in an animal.

Adult stem cell research has done some good.
Suppose rather than having a human heart produced from human stem cells in a pig embryo, it is a brain that is produced. Say the pig embryo was made to fail to develop a brain, and human stem cells developed into a human brain within the pig embryo. It would be human, even if the rest of the body was animal, as the brain is all that matters. Doesn't matter that the zygote was pig, the human stem cells developing, building a human brain, would make it human.

Or suppose the human zygote was unable to produce a human brain and pig stem cells developed into a pig's brain within the fetus. It would be a pig, it doesn't matter that the rest of the body is human.

She/he is no longer living, but it is the body of a human being.
IIRC, there are procedures to keep the body alive in adult humans who are brain dead. So it is not dead, it is quite alive, it merely is not human. Human genetics, and human tissue does not a human make. Only a human brain capable of consciousness makes it truly human. I would say any entity with equivalent capacity to human consciousness would also be human.

If animals are truly conscious as they seem to be, it doesn't matter that their intellectual capabilities are so low. There are actual humans with similarly low abilities, yet we give them rights. Lack of intellectual ability is meaningless. If animals are truly conscious, as they seem to be, it is quite a horror show we have going here on earth.
My skin cells are not going to grow a brain or a heart. Human zygotes are human beings.
With the right chemical cocktail your skin cells can be turned into stem cells able to be used to produce heart muscle cells and brain neuron cells, etc A scientist could grow you a spare heart, or spare brain tissue one day in the future using your skin cells as basis(but there may be more suitable cells which are prefered).

Your skin cells have all the dna defining your body, which is why if placed in an ovum they can develop into a full human being. I suspect with the right coaxing even an ovum may be unecessary.

As for what I mean with 3d bioprinter. The series Altered Carbon on netflix shows what it could one day approximate.
Right now this is what we have:

Last edited:

Owari

Hilariously enough, the idiots closed their version of this thread because they know that purple sweater represents how stupid they are.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
People who say I would have kicked his shit: You wouldn't. We all know the bystander effect. :goog_wink:

That being said, this video is so messed up on so many levels:
  • The pre-script: Hunt is really just silly talking - atleast what he says before he talks to the victim
  • Despite all this i don't find Hunt coming across as very manly - more feminine, really
  • Debating skills: Hunt's body language clearly says agree with me or STFU. Before the victim even spoke, he is already annoyed about her filming.
  • The tongue: Come on, who does this? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
  • The kick itself: Well placed, but it comes out of nowhere. Just because she reasons back is not an excuse to just kick it. She represented no danger, unless camera's are dangerous to you...
  • ''I was meant to kick the phone'': Right, so instead of inflicting her physical damage for no reason you felt it was a wiser idea to inflict severe financial damage for no reason other than that the victim reasoned back to you? :goog_unsure: and you actually thought you could land a perfect kick and not touch her?
If your only real response is reacting with violence (And ignoring how before the kick a co-speaker said to kill em with kindness, something Hunt clearly also ignored) then do not participate in these things. Make a thread on GAF instead and show us how angry you are. :goog_devil:

Thurible

Natural doesn't mean much. An animal using tools, what they do is unnatural in some sense, but in another it is not.

It has already happened in animals supposedly, and it is expected to be possible with humans in the coming decades.

Two human men/women cannot coopulate, it is physically impossible. To try to make a child through such means could be dangerous. Such a thing has never happened. I also personally would think about how this would affect the role of sex (which I believe to be sacred) and upbringing.

There are some animals that reproduce in strange ways such as changing sex or are hermaphrodites. Humans are not one of them so arguing that some animals do something similar does not work.

It is impossible though, so it ultimately doesn't matter. I have seen no research to suggest this coming in the near future. You keep injecting sci-fi concepts into the fold that don't exist and perhaps may never exist in the future (who knows though?)
The articles presented show that it may be the case that one of your skin cells can be turned into an ovum or a sperm. The right coaxing and a single cell may be able to turn into a cell equivalent in function to a zygote too, but that has not yet been shown.

It might not die till after birth, it can be living, say it develops with anencephaly, it is still living and may be born alive. But without a brain it is not human.

Are you purposely being obtuse? It is already established that the human zygote is human, not having a brain at an early time in development does not make it sub-human.

Take this as an example, you wrote
"With the right chemical cocktail your skin cells can be turned into stem cells able to be used to produce heart muscle cells and brain neuron cells, etc A scientist could grow you a spare heart, or spare brain tissue one day in the future using your skin cells as basis(but there may be more suitable cells which are prefered).

Your skin cells have all the dna defining your body, which is why if placed in an ovum they can develop into a full human being. I suspect with the right coaxing even an ovum may be unecessary."

Skin cells are not human beings. You argue that artifically changing them and placing them into an ovum makes them into a zygote, but this is an artificial process! Naturally my skin cells will not grow and develop a brain, heart, fingers, lungs, etc. What you are arguing is a form of conception. To say that the zygote is no different from any other cell is an outright lie.

Many miscarriages happen without the woman knowing she was even pregnant to begin with, no mourning ever taking place.

What I'm saying is that say artificial reproduction in an artificial womb had a 0.00001% chance of miscarriage. Would natural reproduction carrying up to 50% of miscarriage be acceptable?

This is the same type of argument regards automated cars vs human drivers, if automated cars do not have accidents and human driving results in vast human death, human driving should be outlawed.

Yes, many unborn children can die without even being known to the parents, but they were still children. Most reactions to miscarriages are ones of shock, grief, and mourning.

Your argument about artificial wombs being safer than natural wombs causing some sort of law to ban natural reproduction just seems silly. If artifical wombs existed and were safer than it should be an option to move the pregnancy to the womb. I think artifical wombs would be great! If people can move their pregnancies then that means more babies will be saved. However, I don't like the idea of an artificial conception, just the idea of moving a pregnancy sounds good.

Likewise if it can be shown artificial reproduction all but eliminates death of zygotes, and you believe the zygote to be human, then to reduce human death natural reproduction would have to be outlawed.

Note that there is no chance of spontaneous abortion if good enough contraceptives are used.

That conclusion is incredibly flawed. As stated above, if artificial wombs can improve pregnancies, then they should be used. That doesn't make the kinds of artificial conceptions you claim are coming soon right.

Contraceptives are not fool proof. Why are you arguing that they prevent miscarriages? I don't quite understand what you are arguing with this point.

Cells are a kind of naturally occurring machinery. Synthetic biology is the modification of said machinery towards desired function, and even with novel changes, one day synthetic cells and synthetic humans will likely be produced. May be decades or centuries, but unless progress comes to an end that is the future.

Suppose rather than having a human heart produced from human stem cells in a pig embryo, it is a brain that is produced. Say the pig embryo was made to fail to develop a brain, and human stem cells developed into a human brain within the pig embryo. It would be human, even if the rest of the body was animal, as the brain is all that matters. Doesn't matter that the zygote was pig, the human stem cells developing, building a human brain, would make it human.

Or suppose the human zygote was unable to produce a human brain and pig stem cells developed into a pig's brain within the fetus. It would be a pig, it doesn't matter that the rest of the body is human.

Again with the sci-fi. I don't know why you think synthetic people will happen in the future or anytime soon. I keep repeating myself it feels, but yes, the cell is similar to a machine, and no, that does not make it one.

A pig with a human brain would neither be a pig nor a human being. It would live in some kind of bizarre middle ground. Humanity is more than just the brain you know, even if you don't believe in the concept of a soul, you have to admit a brain in the jar does not a person make. We have arms, legs, hearts, lungs, bowels, sexual organs, eyes, etc. If such a creature was created I would probably advocate for the death of it's pitiful existence.

See above, it is neither, just some abomination.

IIRC, there are procedures to keep the body alive in adult humans who are brain dead. So it is not dead, it is quite alive, it merely is not human. Human genetics, and human tissue does not a human make. Only a human brain capable of consciousness makes it truly human. I would say any entity with equivalent capacity to human consciousness would also be human.

If animals are truly conscious as they seem to be, it doesn't matter that their intellectual capabilities are so low. There are actual humans with similarly low abilities, yet we give them rights. Lack of intellectual ability is meaningless. If animals are truly conscious, as they seem to be, it is quite a horror show we have going here on earth.

Why does conciousness make something human? Explain. Genetics make up all the physical matter of a creature. If you are genetically a human, you are human.

Name me one animal that is the equivalent to a human being, even a extremely mentally handicapped person.

Also, aren't you being a bit hypocritical? You say that intellectual ability is not important in defining the worth of an animal, but when it comes to the unborn you say that she/he has to have a brain to be able to reason to be considered a person.

Are you purposely being obtuse? It is already established that the human zygote is human, not having a brain at an early time in development does not make it sub-human.
You say zygote as if it was an indivisible thing, but it is no more than a collection of things, none of which have rights. You can say together they have rights because they build a baby, but by that reason a 3d printer in the future with the right data and chemicals would also be worthy of rights. Realize just like the 3d printer is just a collection of nonliving things each unworthy of rights so too is the zygote a collection of nonliving things each unworthy of rights.
Also, aren't you being a bit hypocritical? You say that intellectual ability is not important in defining the worth of an animal, but when it comes to the unborn you say that she/he has to have a brain to be able to reason to be considered a person.
I say consciousness is important not mental ability. I human that cannot speak or move but is conscious is still a human. A human that is brain dead is already medically dead, but quite alive biologically.

Last edited:

Thurible

You say zygote as if it was an indivisible thing, but it is no more than a collection of things, none of which have rights. You can say together they have rights because they build a baby, but by that reason a 3d printer in the future with the right data and chemicals would also be worthy of rights. Realize just like the 3d printer is just a collection of nonliving things each unworthy of rights so too is the zygote a collection of nonliving things each unworthy of rights.

I say consciousness is important not mental ability. I human that cannot speak or move but is conscious is still a human. A human that is brain dead is already medically dead, but quite alive biologically.
https://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/embryoquotes2.html

All the data agrees that human life begins at conception, even pro-choice scientists agree on that. It is an indisputable fact, saying that it is not is like calling the earth flat.

We are all collections of things, I am a collection of tissue, that is a collection of cells, which is a collection of organelles, which is a collection of molecules, which is a collection of atoms, which is a collection of protons neutrons and electrons, which is a collection of quarks and other particles (I believe, I could be wrong), which could possibly come from strings.

Am I unworthy of rights for being made of these things? Your argument is flawed.

So conciousness defines value? However, we established that animals do not reason and are not self-aware, so by your definition an animal does not have the same worth as a human being.

What about conciousness is so important that it defines personhood, and can it be taken away? If I am asleep do I still possess consciousness?

What if there was a person who spent their life in a comatose state with no self-awareness, and this person would eventually wake up and become self-aware, would this person have rights?

Greedings

No offence to you two guys arguing over embryology in a thread about a guy who kicked a woman...but maybe take it elsewhere.
You both act like you have the answers to a question that is unanswerable, it's a rather complex question, and not really within the scope of this thread. Make your own, discuss it there.

Apologies if this is backseat modding - I have no authority here at all - but your argument is interesting, and it's kinda silly to have it peppered with talk of a ridiculous man who kicked a woman.

Thurible

No offence to you two guys arguing over embryology in a thread about a guy who kicked a woman...but maybe take it elsewhere.
You both act like you have the answers to a question that is unanswerable, it's a rather complex question, and not really within the scope of this thread. Make your own, discuss it there.

Apologies if this is backseat modding - I have no authority here at all - but your argument is interesting, and it's kinda silly to have it peppered with talk of a ridiculous man who kicked a woman.
Well, to be fair, the whole reason why Hunt kicked this woman is because she is pro-life and she was protesting abortion. The subject of abortion is very much tied to this case of assault.

I suppose though the main topic is simply how this man hurt a woman for simply peacefully protesting, not necessarily about the topic of abortion in of itself.

However, I feel like we have a duty to tell the truth and fight injustice as human beings. Abortion is a taboo subject, but sometimes we need to hear uncomfortable things and try to understand it. Letting things go is not always the answer, especially with what is at stake.

I will stop right here if there are no other questions or argumentations on the subject of abortion. I apologize if I make you feel uneasy.

All the data agrees that human life begins at conception, even pro-choice scientists agree on that. It is an indisputable fact, saying that it is not is like calling the earth flat.
Life begins? Both the sperm and the ovum are alive, putting them together you could say is the beginning. Like a domino starting a chain of dominoes falling. But again "living", "life", what do we mean by these words? In today's world we mean naturally occurring machines carrying out metabolic functions, reproduction, with the potential for evolution. That it is human? What defines it worthy of human right is the presence of a functional human brain. Otherwise it is medically dead if we're talking about a fully formed being.
So conciousness defines value? However, we established that animals do not reason and are not self-aware, so by your definition an animal does not have the same worth as a human being.

What about conciousness is so important that it defines personhood, and can it be taken away? If I am asleep do I still possess consciousness?

What if there was a person who spent their life in a comatose state with no self-awareness, and this person would eventually wake up and become self-aware, would this person have rights?
All morality revolves around conscious beings. A comatose individual or an individual sleeping if their brain is capable of consciousness, they are worthy of rights. Animals even if not self aware if they are conscious are worthy of rights.

You cannot be immoral against that which is not capable of consciousness. An immoral act requires consciousness. A rock falling on a tree and breaking one of its branches, is neither moral nor immoral. Only conscious beings can be moral, and only as it relates to conscious beings.
Not sure I'm capable of making new thread, or if the argument will go on for long, we'll probably agree to disagree.

In my view machines or molecules without consciousness are not worthy of rights. I can see how you might see say the first molecules that were destined to give rise to proto life and the whole chain of cells that followed, and say these molecules are special because they are part of a process that will give birth to all species and all of humanity. Reminds me of that episode where Q went with Picard to see the primordial soup. In a sense those molecules are special.

But we could say the same about some random rock falling off a mountain injuring someone causing them to meet a nurse fall in love and conceive a child. If everything goes right, the collection of biomolecules that is the fertilized egg will give rise to a baby someday. Is it true that unlike the rock it has more complex processes going on? True, but don't think that is enough to confer rights. Rights are based on consciousness.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just a quick check - if I have a wank and flush the bog roll, have I committed genocide?

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Just a quick check - if I have a wank and flush the bog roll, have I committed genocide?

Based on research:
The World Health Organization provides guidelines for a healthy sperm count. The benchmark for a “normal” count is 20 million sperm per milliliter – given a total semen volume of 2 ml. That equates to a total number of sperm per/sample of 40 million.

about 40 mil..... I'd say so.

bigedole

The real debate with abortion is "When the fetus is considered to be a human" a that is a hell of a discussion to have.

The only real answer... anyone arguing anything else is either ok with murder or is a religious nut.

I want to also say, this conversation along with the discussion that was going on in the Hitler is a Socialist thread has been really interesting, and I think the intersection of Genetics/Biology and Technology is going to make humanity either come to terms with some reaaaaally questionable ideas, or bury what could eventually be some really amazing technological advancements.

Thurible

Life begins? Both the sperm and the ovum are alive, putting them together you could say is the beginning. Like a domino starting a chain of dominoes falling. But again "living", "life", what do we mean by these words? In today's world we mean naturally occurring machines carrying out metabolic functions, reproduction, with the potential for evolution. That it is human? What defines it worthy of human right is the presence of a functional human brain. Otherwise it is medically dead if we're talking about a fully formed being.

Scientifically, the human zygote is human. If you want to argue that she/he doesn't deserve rights then do so, but don't pretend that the zygote isn't human. Are comatose vegetative people dead?

All morality revolves around conscious beings. A comatose individual or an individual sleeping if their brain is capable of consciousness, they are worthy of rights. Animals even if not self aware if they are conscious are worthy of rights.

You cannot be immoral against that which is not capable of consciousness. An immoral act requires consciousness. A rock falling on a tree and breaking one of its branches, is neither moral nor immoral. Only conscious beings can be moral, and only as it relates to conscious beings.

You do realize that when I was asking you whether or not a person with minimal to no brain activity and no consciousness who would eventually wake up and become self aware was a person, I was essentially referencing a zygote right? A zygote is currently not conscious, but he or she will eventually become so. By your own admission, the human zygote would be worthy of rights.

So your definition of value comes from the ability to make concious, rational decisions? If you were in a constant state of being drugged, where you still have willpower, but it is certainly weakened, would your value be less then that of when you are in a normal non-drugged state?

Also, You seem to be making a difference between consciousness and self-awareness. What is the difference?

In my view machines or molecules without consciousness are not worthy of rights. I can see how you might see say the first molecules that were destined to give rise to proto life and the whole chain of cells that followed, and say these molecules are special because they are part of a process that will give birth to all species and all of humanity. Reminds me of that episode where Q went with Picard to see the primordial soup. In a sense those molecules are special.

I'm not arguing that molecules in of themselves are special. You were essentially saying the human zygote was not human because she/he is composed of multiple things that composed him/her. I responded by saying we all are made of multiple things.

But we could say the same about some random rock falling off a mountain injuring someone causing them to meet a nurse fall in love and conceive a child. If everything goes right, the collection of biomolecules that is the fertilized egg will give rise to a baby someday. Is it true that unlike the rock it has more complex processes going on? True, but don't think that is enough to confer rights. Rights are based on consciousness.

AGAIN, the human zygote is human, not on his/her way to becoming one. Why do you keep ignoring basic embryology? Just say, "the zygote is human, but I don't think he/she has rights based on philosophical ideas such as consciousness and the self". We are all collections of molecules, why is the zygote different?

Having the ability to reason is very important and does define the difference between humans and animals. However, just because something is in a state of development does not mean it is any lesser than it's mature state. Does a puppy have less worth than a grown dog? The zygote cannot reason but he/she will in due time. He/she has value despite being in an early state.

There is a difference between sex cells and a human zygote. Can your semen grow a heart, a brain, hands, lungs, and feet? This is a really inane argument that does not take the subject matter at hand seriously. I would recommend not masturbating in the first place though.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You argue that the zygote cannot reason, but will in due time*. I argue that my sperm, if lucky, will also reason in due time, thus by flushing it down the crapper I am committing genocide. And yes, in the right circumstances (ie when it arrives at an egg) it will grow a heart, a brain, hands, lungs and feet (btw does the absence of any of those make someone less human? I mean heart and brain I can accept, but hands and feet?).

* If we go for the ability to reason as a basis of humanity, does that mean SJWs are not human? Or does the hope that one day they may grow out of it make them human?

Thurible

You argue that the zygote cannot reason, but will in due time*. I argue that my sperm, if lucky, will also reason in due time, thus by flushing it down the crapper I am committing genocide. And yes, in the right circumstances (ie when it arrives at an egg) it will grow a heart, a brain, hands, lungs and feet (btw does the absence of any of those make someone less human? I mean heart and brain I can accept, but hands and feet?).

* If we go for the ability to reason as a basis of humanity, does that mean SJWs are not human? Or does the hope that one day they may grow out of it make them human?

Your sperm cells are sex cells, they have no purpose other than to fuse with an egg. They do not have the capability of growth. They also do not have their own unique genetic code unlike an unborn child.

Not having legs or arms still makes you human, my point is that sex cells do not develop the things that humans are supposed to develop.

You do realize that when I was asking you whether or not a person with minimal to no brain activity and no consciousness who would eventually wake up and become self aware was a person, I was essentially referencing a zygote right? A zygote is currently not conscious, but he or she will eventually become so. By your own admission, the human zygote would be worthy of rights.
There is no brain in the fertilized egg, it hasn't been built yet. By the same reasoning you use to give the zygote rights any hypothetical future 3d bioprinter(or nanomachine system) is worthy of rights.

There is a difference between a minimally active brain, a brain in a cryonic state, and no brain but the mere instructions to build a brain.

You do understand categories are flexible? The word human in and of itself is flexible in what it defines. The zygote is not a person, it is a machine that will build a person through self replication. I could say an AI is human, and perhaps in the future it will be defined as human. An alien lifeform may be called human, as well as humanlike entities from parallel universes.

Calling a tree human, even if we all agreed it is human( perhaps some nano machines reassembling it into a human one day), does not grant it rights, at least not till it becomes an actual person. Calling something something does not confer rights, rights are innate, some would use the metaphor of god given. The zygote is mere nanomachinery, or molecular machinery, with the instructions to turn the incoming food into a human person through self-replication.

If we say the zygote is worthy of rights, by the very same line of reasoning a future hypothetical 3d bioprinter is also worthy of human rights.
So your definition of value comes from the ability to make concious, rational decisions? If you were in a constant state of being drugged, where you still have willpower, but it is certainly weakened, would your value be less then that of when you are in a normal non-drugged state?

No you do not need an ability to make decisions nor rational thought, the mere ability to have qualia, to have feelings, to be an actual "someone" instead of some thing. For there to be a something it is like to be.

Self-awareness is the capacity for introspection and the ability to recognize oneself as an individual separate from the environment and other individuals. It is not to be confused with consciousness in the sense of qualia. Wikipedia
An animal may not introspect, but if it feels, if it is aware, if it is conscious, if it has qualia, if there is something it is like to be that animal, it is worthy of rights. On the other hand if it is nothing it is like to be something, because it is not a person but a thing, something that does not feel, something that is not even capable of consciousness, then such has no rights, animate or inanimate it is but an object

what is it like to be a bat?

Last edited:

SupersonicBR

Neo Member
I bet he sees himself as a tolerant person and she's in the wrong for simply voicing her opinion.

This has been happening a lot around here in Brazil, heck, the candidate leading in polls was STABBED because he's anti-establishment and a right winger.

I fucking hate the state of the western civilization, hysteria and hiveminds are the new norm.

He was violent once, doing something stupid, which I honestly doubt was intended to hurt her. That doesn’t make him a violent person.

I agree that the employer probably feels they has no choice but to fire him given that if he ever did do something at work they might be held liable due to his “history”.

But that’s kinda what’s bothering me. What, should this guy never be allowed to hold a job again?

I mean again I really don’t feel this was intentional and certainly not gleeful. He was attempting to destoy her property, not hurt her.

Obviously he DID hurt her, and he deserves to be punished for that, intentional or not.

This is also an unjustifiable act, i don't start kicking people's windshields just because they flipped me over.

Mod Note: Please just edit your initial reply instead of posting twice in the same thread back to back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thurible

There is no brain in the fertilized egg, it hasn't been built yet. By the same reasoning you use to give the zygote rights any hypothetical future 3d bioprinter(or nanomachine system) is worthy of rights.

I know you are probably a fan of sci-fi, but does everything have to be compared to machinery or theoretical future developments? Just a gripe I have.

The zygote is a human being, developing neurons and neural pathways as it grows. She/he eventually develops a brain. The zygote is not a thinking being, but it is objectively a being. A brain is a mecessary organ for life to continue to exist, but it has to grow and develop from the moment of conception. Heck, there are many scholars and much research that suggests the brain does not stop developing until the early 20's, into adulthood.

There is a difference between a minimally active brain, a brain in a cryonic state, and no brain but the mere instructions to build a brain.

There is a difference between having a brain and not having one. However, we are talking about unborn human children in very very early development (scientifically at the very least). Also, consider that if conciousness is indeed the value necessary to give personhood, one would have to have an objective timeframe. When does a child become human? The difference cognitively in the development of the unborn child is minimal. A baby that is about to be born has about as much self-awareness as a zygote even though the brain structure greatly differs. Let's look at what some highly educated people who have researched and analyzed the subject thoroughly.

"Brainwaves1 make for an interesting candidate criterion, inasmuch as the current clinical and legal definition of death—the end of personhood—is the cessation of detectable brainwaves. The logic goes something like this: if we define the ending boundary of personhood as death, and we define death as the loss of brainwaves, then possessing brainwaves must be a necessary condition for personhood; indeed, we are implicitly defining a person as a human organism with brainwaves. Tying brainwaves to the broader criterion of sentience, we see why this might make sense, at least superficially: brainwaves indicate the presence of cerebral activity, and cerebral activity is necessary for cognition, which, some argue, is necessary for personhood. If we accept this reasoning, then personhood would begin when the human organism first exhibits brainwaves, around six weeks after fertilization.

This logic is based on a misunderstanding of the clinical and legal definition of death. Organismal death is properly understood as the irreversible loss of the being’s internal self-integration. This “self-integration” is what makes an organism a whole rather than a collection of parts. As soon as an organism stops acting as a self-integrating entity, it has stopped acting as an organism at all and ceases to be one. Pro-lifers agree that death is the ending boundary of personhood, because at that moment the entity transitions from being a human organism to being a human corpse. In other words, the entity no longer meets the minimum conditions for personhood—human and organism.

Conceptually, the distinction between declining organism and disintegrating corpse is clear enough, but how to measure exactly when that transition has taken place has changed as the understanding of biology has developed. Centuries ago, the cessation of heartbeat was the clinical measure used to establish when death had taken place. As technology and scientific knowledge increased, it became clear that cessation of brainwaves correlated much more precisely with this final loss of organismal integration in postnatal humans. While not uncontroversial, cessation of brainwaves is currently the best generally accepted correlate of death that is clinically measurable. Cessation of brainwaves is not death any more than cessation of heartbeat was death, but it is something measurable that happens at about the same time as death. Therefore, because it is difficult to measure death directly, brainwaves are used as a legal benchmark to say that death has taken place. All the while, the philosophical understanding on which the legal definition is based has remained unchanged.

Given that cessation of brainwaves is not death but only a measurable proxy for death, the current legal definition of death does not imply that possession of brainwaves is a necessary condition for personhood. Rather, being an organism is a necessary condition for personhood, and this is why death—the cessation of being an organism—is the ending boundary. The analogous beginning boundary, then, is not when the entity first exhibits brainwaves but rather when the entity first becomes an organism. There is a profound difference between a living human organism with brainwaves and a disintegrating corpse without brainwaves. There is, however, no such profound difference between a living human fetus without brainwaves and a living human fetus with brainwaves.

Thus, the case for brainwaves by analogy with death fails. The pro-choicer could still fall back on the argument that sentience is really the key criterion, with initiation of brainwaves serving as the critical threshold that makes sentience a binary variable.

This argument is difficult to defend, however. While we have no good standard for measuring consciousness or determining when a morally meaningful level of consciousness has been attained, we can safely say that a six-week-old fetus is in no sense sentient, despite exhibiting brainwaves. While brainwaves are a necessary precursor for sentience, so are neurons, which start developing much earlier. In short, the initiation of brainwaves does not mark a transition in sentience at all, and there is no reason to claim that initiation of brainwaves marks a transition in cognition or even the ability for future consciousness that is any more significant than a multitude of other developmental landmarks. As a result, it is an arbitrary and inadequate threshold."

-Stanford Students for Life

https://prolife.stanford.edu/theory/premise2a-9.html

"Myth 13: "A human person begins with �brain birth,� the formation of the primitive nerve net, or the formation of the cortex�all physiological structures necessary to support thinking and feeling."

Fact 13: Such claims are all pure mental speculation, the product of imposing philosophical (or theological) concepts on the scientific data, and have no scientific evidence to back them up. As the well-known neurological researcher D. Gareth Jones has succinctly put it, the parallelism between "brain death" and "brain birth" is scientifically invalid. "Brain death" is the gradual or rapid cessation of the functions of a brain. "Brain birth" is the very gradual acquisition of the functions of a developing neural system. This developing neural system is not a brain. He questions, in fact, the entire assumption and asks what neurological reasons there might be for concluding that an incapacity for consciousness becomes a capacity for consciousness once this point is passed. Jones continues that the alleged symmetry is not as strong as is sometimes assumed, and that it has yet to be provided with a firm biological base.41

Myth 14: "A �person� is defined in terms of the active exercising of �rational attributes� (e.g., thinking, willing, choosing, self-consciousness, relating to the world around one, etc.), and/or the active exercising of �sentience� (e.g., the feeling of pain and pleasure).

Fact 14: Again, these are philosophical terms or concepts, which have been illegitimately imposed on the scientific data. The scientific fact is that the brain, which is supposed to be the physiological support for both "rational attributes" and "sentience," is not actually completely developed until young adulthood. Quoting Moore:

"Although it is customary to divide human development into prenatal (before birth) and postnatal (after birth) periods, birth is merely a dramatic event during development resulting in a change in environment. Development does not stop at birth. Important changes, in addition to growth, occur after birth (e.g., development of teeth and female breasts). The brain triples in weight between birth and 16 years; most developmental changes are completed by the age of 25."42(Emphasis added.)

One should also consider simply the logical�and very real�consequences if a "person" is defined only in terms of the actual exercising of "rational attributes" or of "sentience." What would this mean for the following list of adult human beings with diminished "rational attributes": e.g., the mentally ill, the mentally retarded, the depressed elderly, Alzheimer�s and Parkinson�s patients, drug addicts, alcoholics�and for those with diminished "sentience,"
e.g., the comatose, patients in a "vegetative state," paraplegics, and other paralyzed and disabled patients, diabetics or other patients with nerve or brain damage, etc.? Would they then be considered as only human beings but not also as human persons? Would that mean that they would not have the same ethical and legal rights and protections as those adult human beings who are considered as persons? Is there really such a "split" between a human being and a human person?"

- Dr. Diane N. Irving, former career-appointed bench research biochemist/biologist (NIH, NCI, Bethesda, MD), an M.A. and Ph.D. philosopher (Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.), and Professor of the History of Philosophy, and of Medical Ethics.

https://www.princeton.edu/~prolife/articles/wdhbb.html

By the way a cryonic state is a frozen hibernating state, usually meant literally. I believe you mean a comatose or vegetative state.

You do understand categories are flexible? The word human in and of itself is flexible in what it defines. The zygote is not a person, it is a machine that will build a person through self replication. I could say an AI is human, and perhaps in the future it will be defined as human. An alien lifeform may be called human, as well as humanlike entities from parallel universes.

Again with the sci-fi. EVERYONE IS A "MACHINE" THAT CONTINUES TO DEVELOP AND GROW THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRETY OF LIFE. The zygote is no different in that regard.

Calling a tree human, even if we all agreed it is human( perhaps some nano machines reassembling it into a human one day), does not grant it rights, at least not till it becomes an actual person. Calling something something does not confer rights, rights are innate, some would use the metaphor of god given. The zygote is mere nanomachinery, or molecular machinery, with the instructions to turn the incoming food into a human person through self-replication.

Does the tree grow and develop like a human does like the zygote? Your machine argument is poor and you just keep repeating it.

No you do not need an ability to make decisions nor rational thought, the mere ability to have qualia, to have feelings, to be an actual "someone" instead of some thing. For there to be a something it is like to be.

So feelings indicate personhood and value? (I don't quite understand).

An animal may not introspect, but if it feels, if it is aware, if it is conscious, if it has qualia, if there is something it is like to be that animal, it is worthy of rights. On the other hand if it is nothing it is like to be something, because it is not a person but a thing, something that does not feel, something that is not even capable of consciousness, then such has no rights, animate or inanimate it is but an object

So you are saying feelings indicate value, correct? If I decide to somehow get rid of all feeling (I'm assuming you mean emotional) would I not be a person? Depressed people often either feel extreme sorrow or nothing at all. Are they people?

Last edited:
. A baby that is about to be born has about as much self-awareness as a zygote even though the brain structure greatly differs. Let's look at what some highly educated people who have researched and analyzed the subject thoroughly.
The fertilized egg has no nerve cells and no brain. Eventually cells divide, and differentiate into nerve cells, and start building the brain. Saying milestones such as the building of the structures that will develop into the brain are no different from any other milestone is nonsense. They can claim it is myth, they can say it can't be defended, but saying it does not make it so. Legal pompous sophistry. It can be shown to be nonsensical by a simple thought experiment, which will given time be possible. That is their very arguments would give a 3d printer or nanomachines human rights, yet we all would agree that is nonsense. All that is known suggests these are allowed by the laws of physics and it is only a matter of time.

Natural vs artificial means nothing, in vitro fertilized human has the same rights as naturally conceived human.

Personhood is tied to consciousness, and this cannot be done away with sophistry.
So you are saying feelings indicate value, correct? If I decide to somehow get rid of all feeling (I'm assuming you mean emotional) would I not be a person? Depressed people often either feel extreme sorrow or nothing at all. Are they people?

No the feeling of color, the feeling of sound, the feeling of touch, the feeling of being there even when you are in a sensory deprivation tank, etc. Consciousness. The subjective you, what makes you or any person different from say a rock. When you are in a deep dreamless state or in a coma you may potentially be without feeling, but you may still be capable of it with minor stimulation, you would basically have to destroy your brain, severely damage it to the point of death to lose that capability

Oh, btw we said eggs and sperm had been created from animal skin cells, it appears now they've done it with human blood cells too. You still think this is some remote into the distant future possibility.(The possibility of two individuals of the same sex having a child that is genetically theirs.).

Countries with less rigorous ethics will probably test it till its safe, once safe those with more rigorous ethics will embrace it.
Scientists Create Immature Human Eggs Out of Blood Cells For the First Time
The lab-grown eggs were not advanced enough for fertilization, but researchers say this next step in the future of reproduction could arrive soon

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...lls-first-time-180970388/#HQKCVj5v8kldzmYC.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Last edited:

Thurible

The fertilized egg has no nerve cells and no brain. Eventually cells divide, and differentiate into nerve cells, and start building the brain. Saying milestones such as the building of the structures that will develop into the brain are no different from any other milestone is nonsense. They can claim it is myth, they can say it can't be defended, but saying it does not make it so. Legal pompous sophistry. It can be shown to be nonsensical by a simple thought experiment, which will given time be possible. That is their very arguments would give a 3d printer or nanomachines human rights, yet we all would agree that is nonsense. All that is known suggests these are allowed by the laws of physics and it is only a matter of time.

"Pompous sophistry"? "Nonsensical"? Tell me, how exactly are these arguments fallacious? At what point exactly are these arguments so clearly wrong?

No one is talking about machines, and even if machines somehow get the ability to develop human qualities that wouldn't mean the human zygote isn't a person.

The human zygote is NOT a set of instructions to build a human organism. It IS a human organism with a set of instructions to grow. There is a big difference.

Natural vs artificial means nothing, in vitro fertilized human has the same rights as naturally conceived human.

I agree that a human conceived artificially is just as human as a person conceived naturally, but that isn't the argument. The argument is whether it is ethical to produce people in the sci-fi way you claim is coming soon.

Personhood is tied to consciousness, and this cannot be done away with sophistry.

The only sophistry I see is coming from you. Conciousness is a philosophical concept that cannot be thoroughly put into a science. No one knows exactly what makes a person self-aware. I would argue, therefore, putting an arbiturary bar on when a person is truly "conscious" is impossible.

No the feeling of color, the feeling of sound, the feeling of touch, the feeling of being there even when you are in a sensory deprivation tank, etc. Consciousness. The subjective you, what makes you or any person different from say a rock. When you are in a deep dreamless state or in a coma you may potentially be without feeling, but you may still be capable of it with minor stimulation, you would basically have to destroy your brain, severely damage it to the point of death to lose that capability

So you mean sensory feelings? That would include just about every living thing, including a zygote.

You don't know what goes on in the head of a comatose person. Perhaps they feel what is around them, perhaps they do not. Perhaps they dream, perhaps they experience nothingness. I am sure there are accounts for all of these "feelings" occuring. There are many different states of awareness.

"A coma usually only lasts a few weeks, during which time the person may start to gradually wake up and gain consciousness, or progress into a different state of unconsciousness called a vegetative state or minimally conscious state.

• a vegetative state – where a person is awake but shows no signs of being aware of their surroundings or themselves
  • a minimally conscious state – where a person has limited awareness that comes and goes".
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coma/

Do people in the vegetative state have rights, as they don't have any sense of, well, anything?

Oh, btw we said eggs and sperm had been created from animal skin cells, it appears now they've done it with human blood cells too. You still think this is some remote into the distant future possibility.(The possibility of two individuals of the same sex having a child that is genetically theirs.).

Countries with less rigorous ethics will probably test it till its safe, once safe those with more rigorous ethics will embrace it.

I would hope not

Last edited:
No one is talking about machines, and even if machines somehow get the ability to develop human qualities that wouldn't mean the human zygote isn't a person.
You claim a single cell is a person.

I say if it cannot feel in anyway, if it is nothing it is like to be that cell, it is nothing more than an object, a thing. And things are not persons.
The human zygote is NOT a set of instructions to build a human organism. It IS a human organism with a set of instructions to grow. There is a big difference.
A human? sure, an organism? sure. A person? no.
That would include just about every living thing, including a zygote.
The fertilized egg cell can feel to the extent that a skin cell, or a muscle cell can feel. And it is worthy of as much rights as any of these other cells are.

A skin cell, introduce a few molecules, and it becomes pluripotent, able to develop into nerve, muscle, etc. Given that these can be converted even into egg cells. And that they can be made to develop into all tissues. It is not inconceivable that the right procedure, someday in the not to distant future, would make it capable of full development if placed in a womb.

Pagusas

Elden Member
if you guys are going to continue this annoying discussion can you move it to the political thread? every argument here is old and has been said a billion times before, take it to the place that was made for it.

Last edited:

Thurible

if you guys are going to continue this annoying discussion can you move it to the political thread? every argument here is old and has been said a billion times before, take it to the place that was made for it.
Fine. It is an important topic that warrants discussion as it deals with the value of human life though.

Omega Supreme Holopsicon Omega Supreme Holopsicon or anyone else who wants to talk to me about this, pm me if you wish.

bigedole

I will say I enjoyed the conversation, but it should probably have its own topic instead of derailing this one.

Top Bottom