• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT3| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Wall of Shame Complete Version
Combined totals from OT1 + OT2:

Top 10 in OT1:

1. Angry Grimace 2,836 + 539 = 3375
2. God's Beard 1,532 + 441 = 1973
3. Halycon 1,277 + 335 = 1612
4. watervengeance 1,224 + 443 = 1667
5. grandjedi6 1,079 + 85 = 1164
6. Rewrite 1,021 + 90 = 1111
7. Freshmaker 969 + 325 = 1294
8. cosmicblizzard 866 + 919 = 1785
9. Steroyd 863 + 193 = 1056
10. Vox-Pop 804 + 246 = 1050

Others:

(I don't actually know where OT1 actually is to find the post count, so I can only speculate on the top 20 or so that were posted in OT2)

Dresden 583 + 471 = 1054
upandaway ? + 916 = ? (Had less than 190 in OT1)
Infinite Justice ? + 827 ?
Flyntstryker 341+ 702 = 1043
Ignis Fatuus 583 + 492 = 1075

Noshino

CoolS said:
Those are the two features I wish mor manga would have.

You can almoste NEVER predict what is going to happen next with Oda's writing (maybe with the exception of WB dying) and even the tiniest thing can become relevant in the future. On of my favourite examples is Rayleigh.

He had been with poor health ever since he first appeared (ch 234), if anything I was surprised that he lasted so long (doesn't mean that I wanted him to go though, most badass pirate out there)

Some day I will reach Vox-Pop's level!!!

Noshino said:
Yah, if you think that One Piece needs to be condensed (lol, how much more condensed do you want it to be?) yet like the fact that Ichigo has been fighting all this time with the story not developing much at all... something is wrong with you @_@

It does feel like slowmotion, the story is horribly paced. Im a big believer that Bleach could fit on a children's book...

PS: Technically, we could say that at the very least, the "training arc" began on 431 with "Our purpose is to restore your shinigami powers"

Ichigo is so epic that I dont know anyone who wouldnt want to see their favorite character fighting all the time. When I come to manga I am not expecting some classic Victorian novel experience, I want pure mindless unadulterated action with an ounce of story; hek Im just a simple easy to please guy for these things (heh, just give me movies with tons of explosions and greatly designed graphics and Im a happy camper).

One Piece needs to be condensed, I shouldnt need to have to reread it thrice to understand what happened (or rely on say threads like these to enlighten me on what happened) during a chapter, it just so much is going on (not that its bad. Plus with so much going on stuff goes unexplained or seems unnecessary. What was the point of showing Crocodile in the New World? Or showing the leaders of the world gov't who've done nothing, or Dragon's whom has been in the series for maybe just 3 pages out of the 600+ chapters, or the Sabo backstory (why do we need backstory on a dead character, he could have gave that to the anime crew)

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Dedication Through Light said:

Ichigo is so epic that I dont know anyone who wouldnt want to see their favorite character fighting all the time. When I come to manga I am not expecting some classic Victorian novel experience, I want pure mindless unadulterated action with an ounce of story; hek Im just a simple easy to please guy for these things (heh, just give me movies with tons of explosions and greatly designed graphics and Im a happy camper).

One Piece needs to be condensed, I shouldnt need to have to reread it thrice to understand what happened (or rely on say threads like these to enlighten me on what happened) during a chapter, it just so much is going on (not that its bad. Plus with so much going on stuff goes unexplained or seems unnecessary. What was the point of showing Crocodile in the New World? Or showing the leaders of the world gov't who've done nothing, or Dragon's whom has been in the series for maybe just 3 pages out of the 600+ chapters, or the Sabo backstory (why do we need backstory on a dead character, he could have gave that to the anime crew)

You're complaining that Oda is just foreshadowing and giving some actual depth to his characters? Give me all the "unnecessary" stuff any day over the very tired, Dragon Bleach Z approach.

Fight bad guy, not strong enough, train, win. Fun story telling. Oh, and add a dues ex herer and there. Write yourself into a hole? No problem! Just go super hollow 3!

Actually, I'm not too sure that does qualify as story telling.

Look, I do enjoy bleach, though it does drag if read on the weekly, but One Piece is on a completely other level, no questions asked.

Noshino

I like fights, but fights with a purpose.... with Bleach, the fights are so boring that one could easily forget what the whole fight was about in the first place :C

Knowing Oda, he'll bring up all of those things you mentioned.... just like how Laboon was later connected to Brook, or how Dragon stopped Smoker from attacking Luffy, or Kuma actually being "good" and basically saving the SHs.

Sorry, but I just can't share the sentiment, if OP was to be condensed, many of these events wouldn't be available....and that's part of what makes OP interesting.

Ffs, Coby was brought back, Coby.....

In the realm of being a joke character you are already close.

but continue.

Interesting seeing a defense of chapters with hardly any story here

Nocebo

Slowmotion?! What, everything feels as if it moves refreshingly fast, even reading a chapter feels like it moves too fast. I know in the past, so much would be covered that I would be shocked I finished reading it in under two minutes. (well in this arc Kubo has enhanced the writing by using exhaustive explations). Slowmotion, its only taken Ichigo three chapters to gain his powers back in this "training arc," now that isnt slow at all.
Why would you be surprised that you could read Bleach in 2 minutes? There's hardly anything to read. Half the panels are empty or close ups of feet / faces / parts of faces etc. So reading it is fast, yes. But barely anything happens and if something happens it's needlessly dragged out over several chapters.

I guess it would make sense that you think One Piece moves slowly since you have to read so much. However, there are a lot more plot points being setup in one piece than in Bleach that's for sure.
One Piece has all these story threads running at the same time, Bleach is far more linear than that. When was the last time you saw Ichigo's sister?

With One Piece you get to see what Hodi is up to with van der Decken, Luffy and the princess, Sanji and Chopper, Zorro and the rest in the castle and now Jinbei, all with references to the past and possible future. All these groups encountering their own important events, giving you a full picture of what's going on.

With Bleach it's like Ichigo has lost his powers and is sad, done. Something is up with Ichigo's sister, now that parts done. Ishida got smashed by someone, done. Ichigo has to get his powers back etc. It feels faster because what happens is served in fairly distinguishable bite size pieces, however there's hardly any meat on them.

Bleach is like going to mcDonalds...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dresden said:
It's a good thing you're not a jerk, DtL, because otherwise your trolling would be unbearable.
I just wished everyone would stop feeding him; he's having a field day right now with how many people are biting at his bait. Hell, he even managed to post Bleach anime gifs lol

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
grandjedi6 said:
I just wished everyone would stop feeding him; he's having a field day right now with how many people are biting at his bait. Hell, he even managed to post Bleach anime gifs lol

I actually like the gifs, funny enough.

: )

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
grandjedi6 said:
At least I'm subtle.

One Piece: Tom Sawyer Edition.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fidelis Hodie said:
You're complaining that Oda is just foreshadowing and giving some actual depth to his characters? Give me all the "unnecessary" stuff any day over the very tired, Dragon Bleach Z approach.

Fight bad guy, not strong enough, train, win. Fun story telling. Oh, and add a dues ex herer and there. Write yourself into a hole? No problem! Just go super hollow 3!

Actually, I'm not too sure that does qualify as story telling.

Look, I do enjoy bleach, though it does drag if read on the weekly, but One Piece is on a completely other level, no questions asked.
You get 50 demerits for giving a legitimate response to a DTL post

OT3 already that was fast .DTL still trolling .
That bleach arc that took 3 or 4 years to done would finish in 6 months in OP.
you can say sometimes it has to much info per chapter .

grandjedi6 said:
basically the kz2 gif of this thread

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
gundamkyoukai said:
That rescue Ace thing lasted forever.

Freshmaker said:
That rescue Ace thing lasted forever.

That arc was really not that long about 30 chapters.
If you count the war that was much more than just saving ace .
Still it took forever with all those breaks and with Oda working on movie 10

Angry Grimace

Freshmaker said:
I thought he was some kind of ancillary support character. Kinda Sauce's Uncle Batman or something.
Sasuke hasn't actually had more than a single panel in like 40 chapters.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
gundamkyoukai said:
That arc was really not that long about 30 chapters.
If you count the war that was much more than just saving ace .
Still it took forever with all those breaks and with Oda working on movie 10

But on a reread straight through, it hits hard and hits often. God, I love the past three years of one piece looking back.

Fidelis Hodie said:
But on a reread straight through, it hits hard and hits often. God, I love the past three years of one piece looking back.

Yeah i also told people the same thing , reading it vol format so much better .

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Angry Grimace said:
Sasuke hasn't actually had more than a single panel in like 40 chapters.

Yeah, Kishimoto is doing this on purpose He had the entire Danzo fight + Kage summit crashing beforehand. Not to mention disrespecting Kakashi, manning up to do what all the readers want (killing sakura) and telling Naruto to shut the fuck up with his bullshit. He left Sasuke off with getting a new hax ass powerup so as to build suspense as to how more fucking broken his eyes will be now that he has Itachi's.

During that time Naruto hadn't been in a panel for quite a few chapters and even though this is a war I doubt Naruto will be on panel for a little while considering he's training for a new rasengan.

Fidelis Hodie said:

For me, this is true with One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto. A read straight through an entire arc is much much better than week to week like how we have it. We all have our preferences but all the mangas shine in their own way at different times.

Nocebo

One Piece needs to be condensed, I shouldnt need to have to reread it thrice to understand what happened (or rely on say threads like these to enlighten me on what happened) during a chapter, it just so much is going on (not that its bad.
I guess that's the reason 88% of One Piece readers are adults and most of bleach's readers are like DTL. lol

Stat Flow said:
Yeah, Kishimoto is doing this on purpose He had the entire Danzo fight + Kage summit crashing beforehand. Not to mention disrespecting Kakashi, manning up to do what all the readers want (killing sakura) and telling Naruto to shut the fuck up with his bullshit. He left Sasuke off with getting a new hax ass powerup so as to build suspense as to how more fucking broken his eyes will be now that he has Itachi's.

During that time Naruto hadn't been in a panel for quite a few chapters and even though this is a war I doubt Naruto will be on panel for a little while considering he's training for a new rasengan.

I just hope Kis has balls and kills off one of them in the end. Fuck that we can hug it out shit. Sauce should be the person Naruto can't save. I want an epic fight.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
CaptYamato said:
I just hope Kis has balls and kills off one of them in the end. Fuck that we can hug it out shit. Sauce should be the person Naruto can't save. I want an epic fight.

Doubt this is going to happen. The ending will be Naruto being hokage (I've realized that I don't even want Naruto to be Hokage anymore) with Sasuke being redeemed.

Sauce is beyond saving. Naruto should just move the fuck on.

Or maybe just kill his ass. Man if I had a friend that tried to kill me once I would do many bad things to him in naruto's universe. Hell I might even probe his empty eye socket after I ripped both of them out and crushed it in my hand.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Crakatak187 said:
Or maybe just kill his ass.

Might not be that simple

naruto-1263543.jpg

Now that he has eternal mangekyou...BROKEN-NESS for everyone.

I'm cool with Naruto killing him. Or actually, I'd be even more satisfied if Sasuke committed suicide after he 1) Kills the elders/whoever he wants to kill for Itachi's sake, 2) Reconciles/talks with EdoTensei'd Itachi, 3) Has a fight with Naruto. If he commits suicide right in front of Naruto and company, it would be the ultimate fuck you to Naruto. And ballsy on Kishi's side too.

Dresden

Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo

I would've been fine with it staying as a shinigami harem series.

Liked it, but the constant asspulls in chapter 4 were rather wearying. Would've been better if the author had actually laid in some foreshadowing--instead it's just one 'gotcha!' moment after another.

Really interested in what the bro does now, though.

Meteorain

Hareluya II Boy

Anyone else actually read this? Just me...?

I'm happy they finally sstarted uploading scanlations of it after that short break. Another arc of what is going to be the most predictable shounen ever, but I just cannot get enough of it. Invincible Ore-sama is just too awesome.

I want Hibino type shounen protagonists. Enough with the effiminate men and their overly scarred souls bullshit. It's why OP is so damn awesome, Zoro and Luffy!

Fire Fire Fire

When will the main guy stop being so underpowered in comparison to the people he faces? :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Meteorain said:
Hareluya II Boy

Anyone else actually read this? Just me...?

I'm happy they finally sstarted uploading scanlations of it after that short break. Another arc of what is going to be the most predictable shounen ever, but I just cannot get enough of it. Invincible Ore-sama is just too awesome.

I want Hibino type shounen protagonists. Enough with the effiminate men and their overly scarred souls bullshit. It's why OP is so damn awesome, Zoro and Luffy!

Fire Fire Fire

When will the main guy stop being so underpowered in comparison to the people he faces? :(
Theres only one beast of a character so far

Steroyd

Neoriceisgood said:
Why did DTL get banned again a while back? Just curious.

I do hope we get One Piece soon, I can't wait.

Overuse of the lol smiley.

That is one helluva bait DTL is dangling, arguing a point that One Piece needs tio be more condensed, wtf. o_O

Angry Grimace said:
The Wall of Shame Complete Version
Combined totals from OT1 + OT2:

Top 10 in OT1:

1. Angry Grimace 2,836 + 539 = 3375
2. God's Beard 1,532 + 441 = 1973
3. Halycon 1,277 + 335 = 1612
4. watervengeance 1,224 + 443 = 1667
5. grandjedi6 1,079 + 85 = 1164
6. Rewrite 1,021 + 90 = 1111
7. Freshmaker 969 + 325 = 1294
8. cosmicblizzard 866 + 919 = 1785
9. Steroyd 863 + 193 = 1056
10. Vox-Pop 804 + 246 = 1050

Others:

(I don't actually know where OT1 actually is to find the post count, so I can only speculate on the top 20 or so that were posted in OT2)

Dresden 583 + 471 = 1054
upandaway ? + 916 = ? (Had less than 190 in OT1)
Infinite Justice ? + 827 ?
Flyntstryker 341+ 702 = 1043
Ignis Fatuus 583 + 492 = 1075

Didn't think I was still so high up on the list. I haven't been posting lately at all. Hopefully I'll have more time to post this time.

I don't know if DtL is trolling or not, but you guys are taking him far too seriously. He bring an interesting twist to this thread in my opinion.

Nocebo said:
Bleach is like going to mcDonalds...

And that's bad? McDonalds leaves people with great feelings of "I'm lovin it!", so Bleach does the same, Im lovin it.

gundamkyoukai said:

I thought the length of the arc was justified in giving us fans what we wanted. Kubo gave us Grimmjow, we love Grimmjow and got multiple occurrences of him. Kubo gave us Ulquiorra, we got epic moments with Ulquiorra. Kubo gave us Aizen, we loved Aizen. I dont think I would have taken it any other way. One Piece should have done the same and worked with focus, I wanted more Ace action (and an Ace v Luffy fight I never got). But it does have too much information at times or things that can easily be missed...

watervengeance said:
Didn't think I was still so high up on the list. I haven't been posting lately at all. Hopefully I'll have more time to post this time.

I don't know if DtL is trolling or not, but you guys are taking him far too seriously. He brings an interesting twist to this thread in my opinion.
Dude, oh nice, a compliment, thanks!! Im always the strange one here with Bleach and One Piece. Oh well, Bleach is an enjoyable action packed series that I just love to deaths...and Im just dying in anticipation for the next chapter.

Personally I get roughly zero enjoyment out of just a fairly "straight" fight where it's entirely obvious who will win (even if the odds are "soooo unlikely").

I forgot if I coined the term or someone else did, But ages ago I decided that "porn with swords" is a good description for Bleach.

If you love random characters trying to look cool while saying conceited one liners going into "epic fights" where they show off random new powers (or get them during the battle), sure, you'll like Bleach a lot.

I wouldn't exactly argue the series have any depth to it at all, though.

For me the only reason that One Piece, as a shonen, makes it extremely high on my appreciation list is the fact that it seems much more about the adventure than about the fights, the fights themself seem more meaningful as a result of the context as well.

On the subject of One Piece being "hard to follow"

I gotta ask, is it really that hard?

I get that there's little to cause confusion in Bleach, as you get a full five pages for every single time someone blinks, so I won't argue that Bleach is fairly clear.

But in a lot of Naruto chapters I end up having to re-read a page or two pages, not because I'm hoping to find some cool little tidbit but because sometimes the manga just completely loses me (mostly during fights when someone performs an attack that has weird ass visuals and we're supposed to tell by, what, facial expressions? what they're supposed to do)

Sure with One Piece I end up re-reading chapters almost each time, but it has nothing to do with me "not getting it", the story is very easy to follow; the re-reading is for personal enjoyment as there's always so many little secrets and things hidden for you to find.

(pandaman, characters goofing off in the backgorund, sometimes subtle details that seem to function as major hints for the future)

I really don't see why OP seems to get the "hard to follow" complaint from my personal experience.

You sure you're not a joke character?

That Singer Guy... said:
You sure you're not a joke character?

Thanks for quoting that, it actually made me read his post.

Didn't he make another post how it was great that Ulq and Jaggerjaw or whatever all got a bunch of fights and stuff for people who loved them, yet when it comes to One Piece he asks for "the point" of Croc coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom