• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
He killed White Zetsu. Didn't Black Zetsu get his ass kicked by Naruto or the Mizukage or something?

Glasses sword dude kicked his ass too
RiUbr.png

Kreed

Hunter X Hunter:

I'm starting to regret starting Hunter X Hunter.

A couple of chapters of Gon and Killua not punching anyone and people start bugging out. You haven't even experienced an hiatus yet.

HxH is gonna end in like 5 chapters man, I can feel it, same thing he did with HxH. Yusuke had no goal left, neither does Gon.

I know you're not completely serious but:

A) Togashi introduced Gyro/Jairo the Chimera ant right before the election arc started.

B) I don't think the earthquake victims have been "encouraged" yet.

PK Gaming

So me and my brother finished off Luffy's flashback. "Sabo..."

As a preface, he had not read the manga so he had no idea what to expect.
We cried; We both started tearing up around the time Luffy, Ace and Dadan's crew started experiencing the fallout of Sabo's death. The music, the general mood... the animators did a good job at making you feel like shit and loathing the hell out of the Celestial Dragons. I mean, I had read it I saw it coming and it STILL affected me. Even more than Binke's Sake... A deep part of me wishes the three of them (Luffy, Ace and Sabo) would one day reunite together in the new world, but it wouldn't be One Piece if that were the case. As an aside, its rare that the main character of a shonen gets such an extensive background. I'm so glad Luffy got flashbacks in the same vein that characters like Robin and Franky got.

When all's said and done, it isn't the action or plot progression that makes One Piece unique. Its the emotional attachment you gain for these characters... it far surpasses every other shonen. You basically kind of 100% Luffy and his motivations because of this flashback. He wants to go on adventures & and protect his nakama no matter what the cost and its 100% believable. Since his nakama is all he has now.

One of the few times I shed tears for a fictional character (the other time was for Mother 3)

Damn you Japan...

Lain

Happy! vol 9 PE (ch134-149)

The games have been interesting in this volume, mostly because it's nice to see Umino playing without people throwing insults at her every panel, though she still gets unjustly insulted every chance the author gets to have her insulted.
I have to admit, seeing Coach Alan shit himself in the middle of a group of people because Thunder kept shaking his hand thanking him for the making it possible for Umino to play Wendy and finally "awaken" was pretty funny.
Oh, and with Kaku having found out all the shit the other girls at the club did to Umino and that Choko was behind it, I hope some well deserved retribution will be served.
I'm sick and tired of seeing almost everyone hurl insults to Umino and humiliate her unfairly and without reason.

Articalys

On February 15th, mangaka Kaworu Watashiya had a quarrel with another mangaka Homura Yuki ("Sakitama ~Sakuya Den~") on Twitter over the sexual expression of manga. Yuki tweeted that one of his acquainted bookstore clerks said he cannot put Comic High! magazine in the store since it has sexual expressions. Yuki complained that one ecchi manga series can bring disadvantages to all the other manga serialized in the same magazine. Watashiya asked Yuki if the "ecchi manga" Yuki was talking about was Kodomo no Jikan; Yuki didn't specify the title in question but he told Watashiya it's better to keep the expression of manga within the safety zone set by the regulation of Tokyo government. Watashiya got angry and said she had been making a great effort not to violate the rule. Yuki said he didn't mean to interfere with the creation of Watashiya but he insisted he had a right to make a complaint.
Okay then.

(MAL source)

upandaway

Hunter x Hunter

The art is way, way better than what I thought it would be after Togshi breaking his record by 5 straight chapters, and honestly I'd rather have this than nothing at all. And unlike last chapter, it does seem bad enough to be fixed in the volume releases, so there's always that.

For the chapter itself, Killua really dodged a bullet there jesus. Nearly fucked it up with Alluka. Then again I totally thought Nanika (really prefer that to "it", ugh MS) wasn't a thing, it was a total surprise.
Really sucks how he can't tell Gon anything. Gon would be so pissed if he finds out Killua was keeping this shit secret.

Magi (caught up) will spoiler to ensure cosmic's eyes don't go places
Man those last 5 chapters, goddamn. It totally went a bit HxH on me there. Crazy everything.

I really want Ali to go around Sinbad-style though, screw staying in Balbadd. I'm fine with another half-year skip to get this to happen.

Hunter X Hunter 336:

This chapter was satisfying despite not getting to see Killua fight Illumi (although I still want to see that). Plus Killua and Alluka's relationship with each other really opened up a bunch of possibilities for the future. For example, could Alluka and her split personality tell if someone made a copy of Killua and ordered her to do things? Or even Illumi's plan of using Killua like a puppet (or a mind control nen user). Right now the main "threat" is Illumi, but if Illumi repeats this knowledge to Hisoka, that would be big trouble for everyone.

Kind of surprised Killua didn't send Illumi into a volcano or some death trap.
Honestly man, after what just happened (Nanika being a full personality), Alluka is such a wildcard that anything could happen. If I were Illumi I wouldn't risk it because if she finds out, who fucking knows what she'll do. She won't just cry and whine at Killua.

And for how biased Killua is to Alluka he's still not into fighting any family member if not forced into it, no matter how easy it'll be for Illumi to get out of it

Hunter x Hunter
I still don't get the restriction that allows such a powerful nen ability to exist. Simply having to sleep it off doesn't seem strict enough, unless people dying if the 3 wishes are denied counts?
Okay you guys, I don't think this is the way to look at this.

I don't think Alluka's "ability" per se is the wishes she grants. Stay with me here, I think her ability is about her 3 requests, and the "condition" is granting the wish. There really is no sense from her POV to have an ability where she grants wishes and the conditions is her requesting something. Flip it, however, and bam. Crazy I know.

Magi vol 1

Yeah, this is the best adaptation of Aladdin (and other Arabian Nights stories) ever.
I knew I could count on you. Shit gets crazy real later on too.

I'm still surprised at how low-profile it is considering how much I like it. I never saw anyone mention it ever anywhere, and it's so good.

I'm still surprised at how low-profile it is considering how much I like it. I never saw anyone mention it ever anywhere, and it's so good.

To be fair, it is pretty popular on Mangafox. It also looks like a group has been translating it like crazy lately, so it probably just needed that to gain some momentum. It is an ongoing Shounen Sunday series, so I'm sure it will end up being one of the more talked about series in due time.

upandaway

To be fair, it is pretty popular on Mangafox. It also looks like a group has been translating it like crazy lately, so it probably just needed that to gain some momentum. It is an ongoing Shounen Sunday series, so I'm sure it will end up being one of the more talked about series in due time.
I forgot to mention this too, all of the characters are so likable. I love everyone. There's a couple I hate which are meant to be hated but there's not a single one I'm just uninterested in or hate because he's dumb/lame.

By the way you can take your time catching up. Even if they're translating quickly, it's not really at a good place to catch up on.

HXH

Alluka´s ordeal is over. I wonder what´s next.

Toriko

Liquor sea, beer waterfall, emerald dragon with Japanese bath on his back filled with alcohol, potato chips trees, and butterflies with potato chips wins. Why don´t we have this the real world :p

Beelzebub

The telepathy was really funny. The horsey part killed me. Poor Furuichi. Beel vs. Futuba should be funny.

Ahahahaha.

vareon

HxH

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong: What was Gon's reason to fight with the Ants? To save Kaito? So really, what's next for the manga? Unless Gon wants to revert Kaito back.

Lain

You people liking Magi, go and buy Sumomomo Momomo, it's, imo, just as good.

Sense vol 4

Great volume, lots of "dream" action for Makoto but also some real action as well with the new teacher, who turns out
fooled with him when he was one of her students.
The situation with the school director was interesting as well, because of the break between fantasy and reality.
Needless to say, I can't wait to read volume 5.

Bleach vol 50

Riruka's reaction when seeing Ichigo was pretty funny. Ichigo stopping his work for the milf made me =(((. I hope she'll show up some more. Knowing a bit about the whole Ginjo/Tsukishima because of reading some of the posts here in the past, the whole mystery is lost, but it's still nice to see directly.

Air Gear Vol 32

Great, great volume. The end about the past of Gazelle and Kaito was nice, and it showed a bit more about Dr. Minami, which I don't really like.
Gazelle/Lind battle wasn't bad at all, though finding out Agito/Akito is the son of Kaito is a bit laughable, since it makes the whole keeping Agito/Akito in a cage look even worse, though it is rationalized by them as his twisted try to protect his own son.
Buccha's fight with Orca was great as well, but what i want to see is Ikki's fight, which will have to wait next volume now.

neoanarch

Jump
I enjoyed all the series this week. Bleach was a bit groan worthy but still ok.

~~~~~~

I've been reading Baseball manga lately. Rereading Rookies right now and I've read all of the scanned Last Inning chapters. Anything else out there worth reading?

Oh just remembered I've had Tetsuwan Girl mentally bookmarked for a few years now. I just wish I could remember which group had the best translation.

flawfuls

Jump
I enjoyed all the series this week. Bleach was a bit groan worthy but still ok.

~~~~~~

I've been reading Baseball manga lately. Rereading Rookies right now and I've read all of the scanned Last Inning chapters. Anything else out there worth reading?

Oh just remembered I've had Tetsuwan Girl mentally bookmarked for a few years now. I just wish I could remember which group had the best translation.

Big Windup is pretty great. I haven't actually read the much of manga, but the anime is a fantastic adaption.
Major Part 1 was great, but the rest is just passable. Dat elementary school drama.
One Outs is good fun, but probably more of a gambling manga than a baseball manga.
Hanakoto is more about a dude who likes baseball then about baseball itself, but it's just soooo good.
And then there is all of Adachi's work which should be required reading for everybody.

ArjanN

Kurapica still has to either get his revenge or stuff! Lucifer and Hisoka still need to fight when he regains his nen! And...that's actually it...

There's plenty of loose ends to pick up if he wants to.

Like the ant coccoons Pariston took, the Jairo/Gyro thing, etc.

Gon's goal of finding Gin was mostly just a macguffin anyway, just like finding the dragonballs or One Piece. It's just a excuse to go out and have adventures and get into fights.

Of course like always in these series the powers start escalating, and they have to keep upping the ante, so at a certain point you have to start wrapping things up before people start blowing up planets with their mind, and the whole thing just becomes silly.

vareon

There's plenty of loose ends to pick up if he wants to.

Like the ant coccoons Pariston took, the Jairo/Gyro thing, etc.

Gon's goal of finding Gin was mostly just a macguffin anyway, just like finding the dragonballs or One Piece. It's just a excuse to go out and have adventures and get into fights.

Of course like always in these series the powers start escalating, and they have to keep upping the ante, so at a certain point you have to start wrapping things up before people start blowing up planets with their mind, and the whole thing just becomes silly.

But that's it. The macguffin is resolved. He can stop the series anytime now, leaving all that unresolved since the main character's main goal is met, although still not that satisfactory.

neoanarch

Big Windup is pretty great. I haven't actually read the much of manga, but the anime is a fantastic adaption.
Major Part 1 was great, but the rest is just passable. Dat elementary school drama.
One Outs is good fun, but probably more of a gambling manga than a baseball manga.
Hanakoto is more about a dude who likes baseball then about baseball itself, but it's just soooo good.
And then there is all of Adachi's work which should be required reading for everybody.

The One Outs anime was pretty great the manga wasn't that far along last I checked but it probably time to check again. Thanks for the recs. Will definitely read Hanakoto if you think that highly of it.

upandaway

The One Outs anime was pretty great the manga wasn't that far along last I checked but it probably time to check again. Thanks for the recs. Will definitely read Hanakoto if you think that highly of it.
The One Outs manga is a good couple arcs past the anime's ending. I think only the chapters from when the anime left off are translated.

ArjanN

Sure, but any manga can end at any time really, even if the main plot isn't resolved. It's not like it's very hard to think of some new goal for the next arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom