• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marco Polo S2 |OT| Come for Marco, stay for the Great Khan (July 1st)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Q0jOrb4.jpg

In a world replete with greed, betrayal, sexual intrigue and rivalry, Marco Polo is based on the famed explorer's adventures in Kublai Khan's court in 13th Century China, and the dark and tempestuous battle for the expanding Mongol empire.

Release date: All 10 episodes hits Netflix July 1st.

Spoilers: Please spoiler tag any (spoiler) discussion for two weeks. Also label your spoilers (Ex: Episode 3
Seeing Hundred Eyes cut off that dude's head was amazing.
)

Links:

Reviews:

Cast:

TauWG9Y.jpg

Lorenzo Richelmy as Marco Polo, Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan, Joan Chen as Empress Chabi

ETYSr8r.jpg

Michelle Yeoh as the Handmaiden, Rick Yune as Kaidu, Uli Latukefu as Byamba

NF7ZT0Y.jpg

Zhu Zhu as Kokachin, Tom Wu as Hundred Eyes, Remy Hii as Prince Jingim

RfiBrDx.jpg

Olivia Cheng as Mei Lin, Mahesh Jadu as Ahmad, Claudia Kim as Khutulun

Promo photos:

gutshot

Stoked for S2, although I'm having a hard time recalling everything that happened in S1 now. Anyone know of a good recap?

Toa TAK

Banned
Muh gurl Michelle Yeoh is in this season. Already a fan, but that makes this sweeter.

Perfect OT title, by the way.

Sober

Cautiously optimistic about this season. First season wasn't really that impressive, especially where Marco was involved.

Binge watched all of season 1 and 100 Eyes a few weeks ago after finishing Uncharted 2 and wanting to see stuff about Polo.

I'd also recommend the recent BBC documentary, The Silk Road 3 parts that covers some of these territories. And of course, Uncharted 2 although its historical veracity is probably doubtful :)

I remember when this show first came out critics really panned it, I'm surprised and all the viewer reactions I've seen since then have been pretty positive. Its definitely a slow show, but the binge format helps a lot since you really want to know what happens next.

The foot binding stuff in season 1 was the absolute worst to watch though, but also intersects with an interesting historical fact. Many historians believe Polo never actually visited China, since there are 0 historical documents from the time that mention Polo, and his journals claim he was a governor of a district and stuff like that. He also never mentions foot binding in any of his stories, but then again it might have been considered so horrific or unbelievable that he left it out.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cautiously optimistic about this season. First season wasn't really that impressive, especially where Marco was involved.

I think nobody watched it for the plot. The cinematography and the Khan was the reason to watch.

Just finishing up the first season. Didn't even realize this was a thing until a friend mentioned it, but it's surprisingly good. I'm glad that the second season is so close so there won't be much of a gap before I get to watch some new episodes.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone needs to listen to Wraith of the Khans to prepare for this.

I hope the budget wasn't slashed after the first season's so-so performance.

Saya

Does S1 get better in the latter episodes? I found it hard to get through. The writing wasn't all that, but the production values were great. I really wanted to like this because I love Mongol history.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Does S1 get better in the latter episodes? I found it hard to get through. The writing wasn't all that, but the production values were great. I really wanted to like this because I love Mongol history.

I thought it picked up in the later episodes. But I enjoyed the ride from the start.

I hope it doesnt end on a cliff hanger this time. As much as I really do like this show, im scared of a premature cancelation based on critical response.

Of course if this season turns that around then more power to em.

Gotta remember the critical response was due to critics only watching 2 or 3 episodes. Hopefully season two will pick up faster and less to good reviews.

platakul

Banned
Pretty sure the show got twice as pretty. How the hell they convinced Netflix & others to keep giving them money for this, I'll never know.

Is Jingam a different actor this year? looks different

also Kublai has his own little Peapod :3

Sunster

Hope they rely more on story and strong characters rather than orientalism and stereotypes this season.

Epcott

Ah, forgot season 2 started today. With this, Stranger Things, and Bojack season 3, I'll actually have something to watch this summer.

Thank you Netflix.

Memles

Probably why there are still no reviews out for S2.

No, that has more to do with the fact that Netflix didn't make any episodes available to critics. I mean, this could be because no critics asked for them, but it didn't even make the front page of the Netflix press site.

GeeTeeCee

One episode in, and it's mind-boggling how this show looks more impressive and high-budget than the "sequel" to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon does. Why couldn't Donnie Yen be in this instead?

Measley

Smart move for Netflix to start this after the season finale of Game of Thrones.

Personally I loved this series. Looking forward to part 2.

TraBuch

Banned
Just like with the first season, I don't give a shit about anything involving Kokachin and whenever she's in a scene, the show comes to a grinding stop. Halfway through episode five
and they introduced another plot point that's probably gonna turn her into more of a focal point and ugh. I don't care. Bitter real Kokachin seems like a more interesting character, just kill off the fake one.

Less Kokachin, more prisoner lady.

Edit: More episode five spoilers,
and as I say that, things take a really weird left turn with prisoner lady. Her pegging Ahmad isn't something I ever expected to see, but ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom