• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marco Polo S2 |OT| Come for Marco, stay for the Great Khan (July 1st)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sioen

Seriously
why is the khan acting like marco is the bad guy? distrusting him at every turn near the ending and pushing him away..?

Sunster

Seriously
why is the khan acting like marco is the bad guy? distrusting him at every turn near the ending and pushing him away..?

because,
Ahmed betraying him shook him to his core. He trusted Ahmed, that was his son. And then to find out he had been plotting against him for years? Nope. Blood only. Only blood can be trusted. "If I can't trust my own son why the fuq would I trust this Latin?"

Rymuth

Skipped a few but

Episode 9
=
Chabi calling Marco in front of the Khan and Jingham is downright Season 1 dumbfuckery. I do not care what Kokachin wants, you do not do something so monumentally stupid.

KarmaCow

Finished up and overall felt like a better season. Not sure about direction for season 3 if
it's going to be about Kublai somehow losing to the crusades.

because,
Ahmed betraying him shook him to his core. He trusted Ahmed, that was his son. And then to find out he had been plotting against him for years? Nope. Blood only. Only blood can be trusted. "If I can't trust my own son why the fuq would I trust this Latin?"

Ep10 Also
he saw Marco let his father get away in the middle of the fight.

Skipped a few but

Episode 9
=
Chabi calling Marco in front of the Khan and Jingham is downright Season 1 dumbfuckery. I do not care what Kokachin wants, you do not do something so monumentally stupid.

Chabi was basically broken with guilt as well at that point and I guess she figured it would pretty easy to discount any claims that the father was Marco. At worst it fucks over Marco in the eyes of Jingham and Kublai. Not to mention Kokachin was loopy enough at that point to cry out and spill the real secret.

Cromwell

Banned
Finished S2. As with S1, practically the only redeeming quality was Kublai Khan but even that was diminished.
He just gets fucking played by Achmed the entire time and comes off like a huge idiot with paranoid delusions. Achmed is such a shitty, boring and one note villain and doesn't have half the presence Sidou did last season. Blue Princess and pregnancy plot was even more boring than last season, her having schizophrenia was potentially interesting but they did nothing with it. Romance between the bastard son and daughter of the other guy went nowhere, Michelle Yeoh and Hundred Eyes went nowhere (S3 I guess), the Kuletide plot between the Khan and his cousin ended as predictably as ever although the burning horses thing was pretty cool.

Marco's Dad being a hardcore badass warrior was DUMB AS FUCK. He was a scumbag worthless trader who cowered in the face of Kublai's men last season. There's also probably a dozen other total gaps in logic, like Kublai sending his son and like two men out to kill some people in dangerous territory, but that one sticks out at the moment.

Overall this is a very nicely produced show about a part of history that I'm really glad we have a show about, but so much about it just sucks total ass. The writing is as bland and soapy as Network TV shows and the performances besides Kublai (who is amazing) and MAYBE Marco range from mediocre to terrible. Jingim particularly just sucks the life out of every scene hes in, I wish they'd recast him.

Dysun

Season 2 was a marked improvement over Season 1, really enjoyed it. Netflix keeps killing it with their original content.
It felt like the showrunners understood this show is about Kublai, and retooled it as necessary. Marco is just one of many cogs to balance Kublai.
Marco, and Jingim both had good plots this year and were very likable. I felt like that was a clear weak point last time out. Kaidu was a good antagonist until his mother pushed him too far. Ahmed was also a good foil, but wish he had a scene with Kublai with his treachery revealed.

Some of the things I found disappointing were Hundred Eyes being largely sidelined, and everything about Kokachin was just terrible. Glad to have that story line wrapped up

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Episode 5: Wow, that was insane.

The
"fight" between Hundred Eyes and the Handmaiden was great.
It was like watching a ballet. Beautifully shot.

Started watching the second season.

KHAN HAS A LITTLE MONKEY ON HIS SHOULDER! WHY IS THIS SHOW NOT CALLED GENGHIS KHAN ALREADY, HE'S THE TRUE STAR!

I think it's the beard.

It's most definitely the beard. xD For real though, he's not a whiny entitled bitch like last season. He's understands his role as heir to the throne and adjust accordingly. You could argue Marco's done the same as well even though he occasionally longs for something else.

Jingim has also improved greatly this season. Perhaps its the Australian accent, but I couldn't really take him seriously last season. However, this season it's Kaidu's accent that's giving me the shits.

I just keep telling myself Johnny Tran from Fast and Furious didn't die but got transported to the past, hence the accent.

Chase17

also ep 9

So the religious guy chose his death to be through crucification or did I misunderstand that scene?

jett

D-Member
I'm on episode 7.

This is a strange season. It seems they were aware of the complaints of Marco Polo being the weakest link in season one, and decided to push him off to the side here. Way to the friggin' side. Feels like there's no main character in the show, and that there's no real focus either. And the overarching plot with the Kurultai business is moving at a snail's pace. When it was first brought up it felt like something that was going to be dealt with quickly. So many flashbacks too. That wasn't a thing in season one right?

It's enjoyable and well-made just like season one, but it's not much of an improvement to be honest.

Episode 5 questions.

Hey, I think I missed out on the big reveal here b/c I was falling asleep during this episode late at night. Why did Ahmed get all weird when he heard that song, and kill the prostitute? I feel like I missed something that explained why he hates the Khan so much? Thanks.

Tubobutts

Episode 5 questions.

Hey, I think I missed out on the big reveal here b/c I was falling asleep during this episode late at night. Why did Ahmed get all weird when he heard that song, and kill the prostitute? I feel like I missed something that explained why he hates the Khan so much? Thanks.
That was the song that he said his mother wrote for him in the previous episode. The implication being that he fucked his mom.

That was the song that he said his mother wrote for him in the previous episode. The implication being that he fucked his mom.

Thanks for responding.
That's uh....weird. She didn't look that old. So that's why he hates the Kahn, he blames the Kahn for plowing his own mother
?

DeviantBoi

Just finished the season.

Much better than the first season - and I really liked the first season.

Hopefully it won't be another year and a half before we get the next season.

I'm glad that Bojack is just around the corner. Not to mention Stranger Things coming tomorrow.

I freaking love Netflix.

Finished the season last night. I feel like last season was better.

Season one: 9/10
Season two: 7/10

The penultimate episode of season two was phenomenal though.

Big-E

Finished Episode 9 :
Only thing I didn't like was how every named character pretty much took out 30 people each with little danger. The only one who was actually in danger in more than one occasion was Byamba. I understand why, but it just becomes too far fetched when you have this large battle and the characters we know are all super powered and the ones we don't are weak. I did enjoy 100 Eyes beating the shit out of the crusader in chain mail.

Finale Spoilers:
making Prester John into a character is really silly. He's a literal myth/fictional person.

Not a fan of that, assuming that's what they were doing.

So I finished season 1 about 6 months ago, loved it.

Then the Hundred Eyes special came out, and I sorta forgot about it. (Shame on me)

Now season 2 is out, so my brother started watching season one which made me want to start watching again.

Just finished the Hundred Eyes special, and god damn was that fucking good. Doesn't spoil anything either.

I may re-watch episode 10 of S1 to re-acclimate myself a bit more, but yeah, I'm glad the show is back. :)

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
This show is one of the best. The last couple of episodes of s2 were absolutely incredible.

I really don't understand how this thread can be only 4 pages. What gives? Does a show really need tons of white people to succeed?

Marco Polo makes game of thrones look like shit in comparison, if you ask me.

I love every character, even the ones I hate. One of a kind.

nampad

This show is one of the best. The last couple of episodes of s2 were absolutely incredible.

I really don't understand how this thread can be only 4 pages. What gives? Does a show really need tons of white people to succeed?

Marco Polo makes game of thrones look like shit in comparison, if you ask me.

I love every character, even the ones I hate. One of a kind.

For me, it's the typical Netflix show. It is nice when you watch it and you will binge it but afterwards you can't remember shit because everything was kind of bland (happened to me with Marco Polo Season 1 and both Daredevil Seasons).

Except for the production values and the great (no pun intended) Khan everything was kind of stupid. Chabi and the Blue Princess were super annoying as well as Ahmed.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The season def had problems, kokachin's storyline was dumb, Kaidu's total heel turn was so abrupt and weird. I liked Ahmed's character in S1 but he was just so mustache twirling comic book evil this season I couldn't take him seriously. Si Dao was a way better villain, it's too bad the writers fucked that up. Orus had "I'm going to die" written all over him the moment he smoldered into frame.

The production values in this show are great and Kublai/100 Eyes/Khutulun/Byamba/Chabi are all awesome characters, the writing just gets too sloppy sometimes.

Jingim gets the award for most improved character, though.

MaKTaiL

Just finished Season 2. The last three episodes were fuc*** good. I wasn't linking this Season much partially because I couldn't remember a thing from the first Season. I was really lost. But after episode 4 I got excited again and damn! It was good.

gutshot

Just finished up season 2. I felt like it wasn't as good as season 1. The pacing was really off. It was insanely slow until like the last 3 episodes than everything happened at once. Also the lack of a great villain like Sidao really hurt the season.

HvySky

Just finished the season. Easily, to me, the most underrated show on Netflix that I've watched thus far. I absolutely love the culture, and as a result, the amount of love, care, and craft that goes into the production of the show is something I really appreciate. Simply beautiful. On top of that, I just really enjoy the show, despite a few shortcomings. Overall, I think I enjoyed S1 more, but the highs in S2 were really high.

Is there any word of a third season renewal?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished the season. Easily, to me, the most underrated show on Netflix that I've watched thus far. I absolutely love the culture, and as a result, the amount of love, care, and craft that goes into the production of the show is something I really appreciate. Simply beautiful. On top of that, I just really enjoy the show, despite a few shortcomings. Overall, I think I enjoyed S1 more, but the highs in S2 were really high.

Is there any word of a third season renewal?

Nothing so far in terms of renewal. It is one of Netflix's most expensive shows and not (really) popular, so we will have to wait and see. I think it gets one more season before Netflix calls it quits.

HvySky

Nothing so far in terms of renewal. It is one of Netflix's most expensive shows and not (really) popular, so we will have to wait and see. I think it gets one more season before Netflix calls it quits.

Yeah, it has gotten super mixed reception which is what worries me. Hope we get some resolution before they bow out, but I understand if they do. The show looks expensive as hell.

Just finished up season 2. I felt like it wasn't as good as season 1. The pacing was really off. It was insanely slow until like the last 3 episodes than everything happened at once. Also the lack of a great villain like Sidao really hurt the season.

agreed. he's still the best thing that was on the show

Finished Season 2 a couple of days ago (watched both seasons back to back).

Really great show. I only had two problems with Season 2.

1. There are some pretty drastic shifts in characters and dialog between Season 1 and 2.
2. Season 2 had a great build up and first half, but 5 or so episodes in, it felt completely obvious how the second half was going to play out, yet we had to watch it happen for 5 hours. They almost could have done with two story arcs to the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom