• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marco Polo S2 |OT| Come for Marco, stay for the Great Khan (July 1st)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY. FUCK. Ep. 9:
a 20 minute cold open. fuck.

Season finale:
I somehow knew the Mongol Election was going to be crashed by the Asshole in the Desert. But it's hard to believe that Khan hates Marco now, Especially after their final scene.

Sunster

HOLY. FUCK. Ep. 9:
a 20 minute cold open. fuck.

Season finale:
I somehow knew the Mongol Election was going to be crashed by the Asshole in the Desert. But it's hard to believe that Khan hates Marco now, Especially after their final scene.

yep but i bet
Marco and Jingim will be back to basics next season

God damn, love this show. Just finished S2 last night.

Question *Season 2 spoilz*
Was that Christian army that ransacked the Kharutai a wandering army, or were they some kind of ghost army? They were pretty vague about what was going in with those guys, as even the Pope treated encountering them as some kind of miracle.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just started season 2 last night. I'm only on episode 3.

I really enjoy the visuals and epic feeling of the show but the dialogue really drags it down for me. I hope it gets stronger in that regard as I get deeper into season 2.

Episode 2 -
Omg he killed the kid????!?!?!?!? o.o

This really bummed me out. I want to root for Kublai but now....

Rymuth

Episode 2 -
I don't like showing us Ahmad being into bondage. It's like 'we can't portray that someone's a villain without showing them doing freaky stuff in bed' and that's not mentioning the hilarious mural of himself killing Kublai. The character's becoming a cartoon villain at this point.

Holy shit at that last scene tho. Give Benedict Wong an Emmy already

People hate Marco but I actually don't mind him, he is alright as an audience's entry point into this.
If it was missing Marco I thing Kublai would loose a bit of that larger than life feeling he currently has.
He was much better in S2 though imo.

DrSlek

People hate Marco but I actually don't mind him, he is alright as an audience's entry point into this.
If it was missing Marco I thing Kublai would loose a bit of that larger than life feeling he currently has.

Jingim has also improved greatly this season. Perhaps its the Australian accent, but I couldn't really take him seriously last season. However, this season it's Kaidu's accent that's giving me the shits.

I seem to notice that a lot with the accents in this series. If I hear a heavy American or Australian accent, it tends to snap me back to reality. It stands in stark contrast to Benedict Wong as Kublai, who is just always fantastic.

Sheroking

Marco is the same character he always was. I don't think anyone really hated him as much as they wondered why the show is called "Marco Polo". It's clear Kublai is the lead and once you get passed the fact of the shows marketing, Marco is a perfectly enjoyable character.

His relationship with the Khan is clearly the most important in the show.

Episode 2 -
I don't like showing us Ahmad being into bondage. It's like 'we can't portray that someone's a villain without showing them doing freaky stuff in bed' and that's not mentioning the hilarious mural of himself killing Kublai. The character's becoming a cartoon villain at this point.

Holy shit at that last scene tho. Give Benedict Wong an Emmy already

you then will realize why
the dude is so twisted, just give it some time. shit is fucked up

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Finished the show and really liked it. Some thoughts:

just like the main bad guy in sees on one, Ahmed seem way too over confident till the very end. I kept expecting him or Sidao to have some kind of backup plan seeing how confident they are even till their dying breath. Ahmed even said he has a backup plan should Khublai wins the election. That whole seizing the city part must be the dumbest thing I've seen. All the soldiers are supposed to be loyal to the Khan but they're ok with capturing Khan's crown prince and Sifu at the end? Only one Mongol general called out Ahmed's BS.. Again, I really enjoyed the season overall but just like the last season, it seems to end weirdly for me.

Rymuth

Episode 3 -
I do so enjoy these 'mano-a-mano' road-trip episodes. Kublai alienating Chabi is just stupid on his part. I saw The Blue Princess getting knocked up by someone else a mile a way (though in my version, it's Kublai who does it so it's still of royal blood)

Poor Jingham. Speaking of him, it's surprising how much of a likeable character he's become.

Just finished binge watching. What a great show, i hope they do a season 3 next year and have a plan to give up a proper ending. This is my second favorite show next to game of thrones. I just love the settings and how good everything looks.

I know they have to built drama in order to make this a show and create storylines but some of the decisions are just silly. Marco's loyalty to the khan and the khan repeatly questioning him is just stupid. Hes been saved liked 10 times a this point by marco.

I'm just nitpicking, great show.

Rymuth

Episode 4 -
Okay, that delirious recounting of Ahmad's past served to give him far more depth. It's making him scheming against Kublai a lot less out of left field. Byamba is back in the fold, I'm surprised Kublai would forgive him so easily but maybe we'll see a bigger fallout in the next episode.

I'm enjoying this trend of Marco not speaking that much.

p.s - please stop pronouncing it as 'Achmad', it's annoying.

KarmaCow

Ep5 question
I get that the prostitute made him realise all that he had lost, or rather everything that Kublai took from him but why did Ahmad kill her? Did he somehow create a false memory of the song from probably hearing at the palace back in the day and killed her to keep his delusion or was it even more psychotic and he killed her to assume the memory as his own in that moment?

Boogie9IGN

Ep5 question
I get that the prostitute made him realise all that he had lost, or rather everything that Kublai took from him but why did Ahmad kill her? Did he somehow create a false memory of the song from probably hearing at the palace back in the day and killed her to keep his delusion or was it even more psychotic and he killed her to assume the memory as his own in that moment?

EDIT: Okay I'm almost certain it was his mom. Oksana said she made the song up for her boy (Ahmad mentions this early when he's with Jingim) and their stories about their respective families dying at the hands of Kublai match, especially if neither is aware the other one survived

Ep5 question

I think you're way off....
It was his mum...he just banged his mum

KarmaCow

EDIT: Okay I'm almost certain it was his mom. Oksana said she made the song up for her boy (Ahmad mentions this early when he's with Jingim) and their stories about their respective families dying at the hands of Kublai match, especially if neither is aware the other one survived

I think you're way off....
It was his mum...he just banged his mum

ep5
Oh I didn't think it was that literal. I mean Ahmad obviously has mommy issues but she didn't look old enough to be his mother. I guess being bound and pegged is his equivalent of gouging out his eyes. :p

Also as an aside, how accurate is the show? Not in terms of historical events but its depictions of cultures. It's so detailed but I'm so ignorant of the history of the region that I'm just assuming a lot of it is made up rather than there actually being detailed records of traditions, clothing, ceremonies, etc to pull from.

iNvid02

this looks really good 4k/hdr despite it being streamed

4lWdKQx.jpg

Finished the second season, it was pretty enjoyable and a noticeable improvement over the first. Some thoughts:

- Marco is much more bearable this time out and I even found myself rooting for him on occasion. It is a little comical how many times he's saved Kublai's ass though.
- Marco's dad being some sort of badass warrior was a bit much.
- Michelle Yeoh seemed wasted. It feels like they tried different arcs for her but could never settle on one.
- Jingim and Kokachin didn't drag things down this time. Kokachin was still the weakest character but her descent into madness at least led to some interesting complications.
- The big event scenes weren't bad but were a tier below what GoT delivered this year. I'd love to see them raise their game for season three.
- I really liked the build up to Prestor John, although I'm not sure I buy his army posing a real threat to the Mongols.
- Khutulun is still the best princess. Actually she's probably the best character after Kublai.

Finished the second season, it was pretty enjoyable and a noticeable improvement over the first. Some thoughts:

- Marco is much more bearable this time out and I even found myself rooting for him on occasion. It is a little comical how many times he's saved Kublai's ass though.
- Marco's dad being some sort of badass warrior was a bit much.
- Michelle Yeoh seemed wasted. It feels like they tried different arcs for her but could never settle on one.
- Jingim and Kokachin didn't drag things down this time. Kokachin was still the weakest character but her descent into madness at least led to some interesting complications.
- The big event scenes weren't bad but were a tier below what GoT delivered this year. I'd love to see them raise their game for season three.
- I really liked the build up to Prestor John, although I'm not sure I buy his army posing a real threat to the Mongols.
- Khutulun is still the best princess. Actually she's probably the best character after Kublai.

I'm so glad
Khutulun hasn't died yet lol. I was like fuck... her side gonna get slaughter.

pgtl_10

Episode 4 has a scene in "Acre, Israel". I know this is historical fiction but Israel didn't exist in the 1200s.

This season was a huge improvement but the end game felt really rushed and
the cliffhanger felt like it came out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom