• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marco Polo - A tale of power, adventure, betrayal & lust - Netflix - spoilers for S1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Just finished this last night and I really enjoyed it. The ultra-serious political intrigue transitioning into fantastical kung fu action is a strange mix, but it worked for me. The final fight scene was trope city but still badass. And the reveal at the end wasn't too surprising, but sets up season 2 nicely.

Not surprised the critics shit on it. They shit on almost all the Netflix shows because the release-all-at-once strategy renders episodic recaps worthless. Without episodic recaps, TV critic's web hits and general relevance will decrease a lot.

Loke13

Bleh, so they pretty much ruined two of my favorite characters. Yusef turns out to be an idiot and Ahmed a mustache twirling villain.
I'm sorry but was this not obvious for awhile now I mean every time he was on screen I knew he was up to no good I mean he was like the Marco Polo version of Littlefinger.

I watched it and enjoyed it, but you are right.

I also have no idea why this is even called Marco Polo, he is in an episode for 5 minutes. it is basically the story of Kubla Khan
Most people need someone relatable for them to be engaged in the story, and it gives the writers a pathway for exposition.

So that ending was pretty dumb and I'm tired of the blind guy being a walking cliche, even if he's an otherwise good character. I love, love, love Kublai's actor, though, dude absolutely nails every scene.

PS seriously who's doing the writing for this it's usually atrocious.

PPS and why the hell didn't Sifu kill Sidao when he first had the chance? What the fuck happened in that one scene?

impruv

Neo Member
Most people need someone relatable for them to be engaged in the story, and it gives the writers a pathway for exposition.

So that ending was pretty dumb and I'm tired of the blind guy being a walking cliche, even if he's an otherwise good character. I love, love, love Kublai's actor, though, dude absolutely nails every scene.

PS seriously who's doing the writing for this it's usually atrocious.

PPS and why the hell didn't Sifu kill Sidao when he first had the chance? What the fuck happened in that one scene?

I think when they snuck in, it was implied that 100 Eyes couldn't beat Sidao and retreated. They show a scene or two after where he is training by himself. Then in the final battle you see that 100 eyes has mimicked Sidao's mantis style of fighting to beat him.

Loke13

I think when they snuck in, it was implied that 100 Eyes couldn't beat Sidao and retreated. They show a scene or two after where he is training by himself. Then in the final battle you see that 100 eyes has mimicked Sidao's mantis style of fighting to beat him.
The way it was shot was still fucking stupid 100 Eyes kills Sidao's guards while he's still in the room and then the next scene Sidao is walking into the throne room and the next episode offers no explanation what so ever.

The way it was shot was still fucking stupid 100 Eyes kills Sidao's guards while he's still in the room and then the next scene Sidao is walking into the throne room and the next episode offers no explanation what so ever.
It looks like they cut a scene. It's plausible Sifu lost but the writers would never leave that to the imagination.

Gin

just finished watching it... i had no idea of the silly reviews online..

I thoroughly enjoyed the season .. and now looking forward to season 2

3 things I really loved

- Khan
- dem fight scenes
- cinematography

I highly recommend everyone watch it

rexor0717

Honestly, I really enjoyed the show just for being a really long kung fu movie with high production values. I'm looking forward to the Crouching Tiger sequel for the same reasons.

It looks like they cut a scene. It's plausible Sifu lost but the writers would never leave that to the imagination.

Didn't Sifu get knocked to the ground/almost knocked out? I can't really remember the scene that well atm but at the time it was obvious to me that Sifu couldn't beat Sidao.

Tuffty

Thought it was a decent watch. Not one of the best shows right now but I would still recommend it. Certainly surprised at the difference between critic and audience reception. Felt the writing was pretty tame but certain characters really elevated the show (Kublai, Chabi, Sidao, Khutulun), largely due to the actors who play them. Marco himself is basically the Luke Skywalker mold, where he's the character used to introduce yourself into this exotic world and get familiar with the political intrigue and customs. Once you become familiar though, that character takes a backstep to the rest of the characters unless they do something interesting with him and I never really felt that they did that with Marco. Like everyone's already said, the Marco/Blue Princess relationship was never justified.

Was initially super disappointed that Episode 8 ended the way they did. All that buildup to the battle and all that was shown was a short montage. But ultimately it was made up for and understood when the last episode came round.

That final revelation though is just so stupid. Clear evidence of treason displayed within the Khan's courts for...what? For someone as keen as Ahmed, why would he take the risk? It was a bad note to end on and felt it could have been handled better.

Will be interested in Season 2 for sure.

I liked the show, but I've got a question: how does Jia Sidao paralyze people by punching them in the neck? I mean, besides the normal devastation a punch to the neck would bring it looks like they went down because of some..special...kung-fu? Or was it made up?

LifEndz

Just finished the first season. The costumes, set design and location are just amazing. So interested in the historical accuracy of the characters that I spent 30 minutes after each episode reading up on Mongolian history. Prior to this, I'd say half of what I knew about this period comes from that city wok South Park episode.

Feet binding and being trampled by horse...wow. Can't wait for season 2.

I liked the show, but I've got a question: how does Jia Sidao paralyze people by punching them in the neck? I mean, besides the normal devastation a punch to the neck would bring it looks like they went down because of some..special...kung-fu? Or was it made up?

I believe that's called a Vulcan nerve pinch.

Just finished the first season. The costumes, set design and location are just amazing. So interested in the historical accuracy of the characters that I spent 30 minutes after each episode reading up on Mongolian history. Prior to this, I'd say half of what I knew about this period comes from that city wok South Park episode.

Feet binding and being trampled by horse...wow. Can't wait for season 2.

there's a podcast called hardcore history there is like a good 6 to 10 hours of info on the Mongols if you want to take a listen. Doesn't really touch in kubalai more on ghengis.

TraBuch

Banned
Did the warrior woman whose name I can't remember actually have sex with Marco? Or were the just dry humping? Either way, it's always kinda bugged me how they just drop that plot point. They do something, it's mentioned that she'll only have sex with the first person to beat her in that wrestling thing, Marco finds out she's the daughter of the leader of that tribe and then...nothing.

Am I just missing something?

Am I just missing something?

They fucked. That was her father that promised the man to beat her would get her hand in marriage/get to take her virginity. The joke was that she's obviously screwing men behind her father's back (and also it's revealed that she lost on purpose to the guy she ends up marrying). It wasn't the beginning of a side plot per se, they just had a one night stand in order to show she was in control of her sexuality (and also to establish Marco as a bit of a ladies man).

They fucked. That was her father that promised the man to beat her would get her hand in marriage/get to take her virginity. The joke was that she's obviously screwing men behind her father's back (and also it's revealed that she lost on purpose to the guy she ends up marrying). It wasn't the beginning of a side plot per se, they just had a one night stand in order to show she was in control of her sexuality (and also to establish Marco as a bit of a ladies man).
Yes, a good set of scenes.

I enjoyed this first season, I look forward to the next.

Noshino

I feel like they rushed the story, they could've very well gotten another season out of Yusuf, Sidao, and the whole attack on Xiangyang.

Bleh, so they pretty much ruined two of my favorite characters. Yusef turns out to be an idiot and Ahmed a mustache twirling villain.

Yusef had no purpose anymore, basically he was there to serve the Khan, but he didn't believe on him or his dream anymore. He wanted to though.

Like he said, essentially Marco's problem was that he was becoming too much like him.

Its a secret mission, kill the current chancellor to stop war.
Target is strong and is putting up a fight.
He gets found, guards start showing up

You really don't need an explanation to know that the monk escaped without finishing the target.

Just binged watched this over the past 5 days or so and I really enjoyed it.. the only issue i had was the painting at the end... that's just up out in the open?

open to who though?

The Khan rarely comes out of his quarters
Jingim thinks of him as a brother even though Ahmad tries to distance himself from him (emotionally that is)
The queen thinks of him as a son, not only that, but she seems to trust her the most (what she is doing with Mei Lin, and with the Blue Princess)

The 3 that would actually catch him:

Yusuf; Dead
Byamba: Away with his girl that isn't welcomed back in Kublai khan's kingdom
Marco: He wouldn't dare go in Ahmad's personal quarters alone, as a matter of fact, all their meetings have been at his workplace or the court.

TraBuch

Banned

Eh, I guess. It just seemed really abrupt.

DrSlek

Just got Netflix on Saturday and began watching this. Quite enjoying it, but it feels to me like Marco himself is the weakest character in the show.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just got Netflix on Saturday and began watching this. Quite enjoying it, but it feels to me like Marco himself is the weakest character in the show.

He is. He gets a little better towards the end, but he is the least interesting character.

D_prOdigy

I coincidentally got round to watching the final couple of episodes last night. Was alright. Enough to admire.

Pleased about the Hundred Eyes special. He's my favourite

platakul

Banned
Oh wow that is awesome. I'm annoyed they didn't hit a one year turn around on the seaons, but I guess it comes out in February or something

- Michelle Yeoh Joins Netflix’s ‘Marco Polo’ For Season 2
Michelle Yeoh is joining the Season 2 cast of Netflix drama Marco Polo in a recurring role.

Based on the famed 13th Century explorer, the story follow’s Marco Polo’s (Lorenzo Richelmy) adventures, as he fights greed, betrayal and rivalries in Kublai Khan’s court. Yeoh will play a mysterious figure from Hundred Eyes’ (Tom Wu) past.

Yeoh played a Bond girl opposite Pierce Brosnan in Tomorrow Never Dies and had starring roles in films including Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Memoirs of a Geisha, Sunshine, and Mummy 3 among others. She next will be seen in the Netflix original film Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword Of Destiny.

John Fusco (Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron), created the series and is executive producer and showrunner along with Dan Minahan. Patrick Macmanus, Harvey Weinstein, Bob Weinstein and Elizabeth Sarnoff also serve as executive producers on Season 2.

Marco Polo Season 2 launches on Netflix in 2016.

spekkeh

Banned
That special was pretty cool, though it was only half an hour. But they did well to focus on Hundred Eyes, he had the most swag anyway.

Lorcain

I wish they had been more authentic with language on the show. It's such an important part of the Marco Polo story. It's obvious they had a huge production budget for costumes, props and set design.

So if they're going to throw language authenticity out the window and go with an all english speaking cast, why would they hire an actor who struggles speaking english for the role of Marco? It was really weird during key scenes, particularly towards the end of the season, where the cast members playing Mongol and Chinese roles spoke much better english than Marco.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If nobody minds, I will make an OT for S2 and put it up tomorrow. Any witty subtitles welcomed.

Marco Polo S2 |OT| Come for Marco, stay for the Great Khan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom