• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel stays winning: ‘Jessica Jones’ Hires All Women Directors for Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jes...tors-season-two-melissa-rosenberg-1201897203/

All 13 episodes of the second season of “Marvel’s Jessica Jones” will be directed by women, according to executive producer and showrunner Melissa Rosenberg.

Rosenberg discussed the all-female directing roster during her panel at Transforming Hollywood 7: Diversifying Entertainment, a conference held Friday at University of Southern California’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.

Rosenberg said that in the second season of the superhero show, she had wanted to increase the number of female directors — a goal that Marvel was completely on board with, she noted. Given how in-demand many women directors are these days, she and her fellow producers had set their sights on booking women first, she said, and contracting male directors later in the pre-production process.

But then someone else involved in the production — she didn’t specify who — floated the idea of booking only women as directors. Rosenberg was honest about the fact that she hadn’t contemplated that concept prior to that conversation, but she said she quickly jumped at the opportunity.

When it comes to behind-the-scenes personnel, hiring an inclusive array of people was “a conscious decision and it’s very important that showrunners do that,” she said.

That directing roster puts “Jessica Jones” in very rarified company, as one of the few one-hour dramas to have an all-female list of directors. Ava DuVernay’s “Queen Sugar,” which airs on OWN, also had only female directors during its debut season.

That said anyone shocked that Ava DuVernay did it first? I'm not.

This is a great step forward.

karasu

I dunno. Seems a little sketchy to me. Luke Cage gonna have all black directors? Iron Fist all white males?

I'm all for empowering women but I hope they turn things around in S2.

Yeah, doing it for the sake of a marketing or making a statement is all good but don't fuck it up. All female, all male, all black, all white, all diverse, anti-diverse. I don't care if they're not doing it for the sake of doing it. Don't make it a marketing spin, and do it right. It'll only be a scapegoat if it sucks.

Media

Sounds great, they have nowhere to go but up after the first season!

I enjoyed the first season, it was slow at parts, but I respected the hell out the portrayal of PTSD, and thought the actress knocked it out of the park on that aspect.

Media

And yes, please don't fuck it up, because it will forever be the 'see, women suck.' example and my future career will be over before it starts.

That said anyone shocked that Ava DuVernay did it first? I'm not.

Nope.

OprahsDirectors.jpg

Which is why it's important because it helps them book other gigs afterwards and continue their career.

Why give women the bad show and not the good one you know like Daredevil or Punisher? This is actually insulting to women like me. We deserve better. This is insult to all womankind.

HvySky

I enjoyed the first season, it was slow at parts, but I respected the hell out the portrayal of PTSD, and thought the actress knocked it out of the park on that aspect.

The show started off pretty well, but very quickly shit the bed and then never really recovered. As seems to be the start of a trend with Marvel shows, the pacing is really rough. The insane lapses in logic and common sense that are required to keep the show were too much for me. It's by far my least favorite of the Netflix shows, but I'm more than willing to give it another shot!

Yeah, doing it for the sake of a marketing or making a statement is all good but don't fuck it up. All female, all male, all black, all white, all diverse, anti-diverse. I don't care if they're not doing it for the sake of doing it. Don't make it a marketing spin, and do it right. It'll only be a scapegoat if it sucks.

does it really matter if people use it as a scapegoat? those aren't people anyone listens to anyway.

Goodstyle

This is cool, but I'm not all that optimistic about the series because of the lack of
David Tenant
. He was carrying the show on his back.

I dunno. Seems a little sketchy to me. Luke Cage gonna have all black directors? Iron Fist all white males?

Iron Fist will likely have all white males just from the luck of the draw. Daredevil Season 1 did and people seemed fine with that.

Or do you don't think there aren't great female directors?

Showrunner had a chance to offer up directing roles to women. She took it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This decision won't affect the writing of the second season, which I believe is what those who didn't enjoy the show had a problem with.

I enjoyed the first season (even though I recognize it had some problems), but I don't believe anyone had beef with the actual directing of the episodes. The directing was good in the first season, and it will likely get even better now that they have the "visual voice" of the show fully figured out.

Kyoufu

No more pointless and annoying subplots that only serve as filler because they didn't have enough real meat for 13 episodes, please.

I really enjoyed the first season but it did have glaring issues which were hard to ignore. Hopefully they've learned.

Alienfan

sfedai0

Banned
Im all for gender equality, especially in the entertainment industry where inequality is rampant, but why the exclusion of men? Seems like they went out of their way to make sure its only women. Seems too gimmicky.

It opens the door for more women to move forward in Hollywood. Ain't nothing cynical about that.

Absolutely, what I mean is the outcome is good so there's really no point in questioning Marvel's intentions.

Im all for gender equality, especially in the entertainment industry where inequality is rampant, but why the exclusion of men? Seems like they went out of their way to make sure its only women. Seems too gimmicky.

Is the almost total exclusion of women from every other television show also a gimmick?

Slayven

white male directors will not go hungry anytime soon

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
man wasn't quick for all the Trumpish shit posts to come out huh lol

Can't undo that piece of shit first season though.
I'm all for empowering women but I hope they turn things around in S2.

guek

Banned
Gaf is the only place in my limited experience that I see Jessica Jones consistently shit on. But whatever, I'm just stoked we're getting more. I enjoyed JJ more than Luke Cage, tbh. Not that Cage wasn't also a good time.

Derwind

If this feels gimmicky, then you really need to evaluate why this perception exists.

In a perfect world this wouldn't be all that out of the ordinary.

Alienfan

There are so few female directors out there working in mainstream media, when you consider they make up half of our population. I tried doing the "1 female directed film a week" campaign last year and really struggled to find films outside of indie/art house (it was good in one way I guess, I was introduced to films I would never have watched otherwise). Hiring all women directors is great because it means they'll have a much easier time getting signed on for more projects in the future, and thus we'll start seeing more diversity in the directing pool. Mainstream media has such a huge influence on all realms of discourse, it's important those that are telling and showing us these stories are coming from a range of backgrounds, hopefully letting media better reflect society as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom