• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel stays winning: ‘Jessica Jones’ Hires All Women Directors for Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, this is great news, why does anyone have an issue with it?

I know you can't please everyone, but people talk about straight white men dominating the industry then someone decides to go with all women directors for a show centered around a female lead, and it's an issue?

I've just noticed that whenever the industry does go in a positive direction, like Disney, Marvel, and others have been, the reception is always much cooler than I really expected. I didn't expect 100% approval or anything, just maybe something a bit warmer, I don't know.

I, for one, love the direction the industry is taking and excited for a new season of JJ.
People agree with equality up until the point it comes time to do the work.

hampig

Cool. Don't really care about the show in the least, but I think it's neat that they're doing this. Considering the show, it makes sense. Maybe there are some men who would be more qualified or have more experience with this sort of show, but you have to give people a chance somewhere.

EpicBox

Disclaimer before the potentially controversial comment:

I'm looking forward to Jessica Jones season 2 for reasons totally unrelated to who is directing it. I'm totally stoked to see more opportunities for female creators.
I believe that diversity should be there by default as a natural consequence of an unrestricted search for talent from all walks of life - diversity targets should not exist.

Potentially controversial comment:

Most anti-feminists seem to have a paranoia that creating opportunities for women comes at the expense of opportunities for men. This appears to support that paranoia.

Additional query:

Did they deliberately go out of their way to pick female directors only? That sounds very counter-productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom