• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Gameplay/Pre-Launch Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrage

Skullgirls has done fine over time. That's because of the numerous balance changes that had to go into the game to fix it because it was a bad game off the bat.

It was a bad game because MikeZ wanted specific stuff from the older games that is no longer good to have in modern games. It wasn't until the community started making him fix things and he realized that the game isn't just something for himself but for everyone else too. And thus he had to keep changing Skullgirls to make it better or it would've been gone to the wayside even by the hardcores.

This is what Skullgirls looked like at the start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDEqgQn9ro

Along with busted assists as well.

So criticizing another game at day 1 for maybe having some busted stuff (that is most likely going to get patched out anyway) just makes you look hypocritical rather than being critical.

Interesting. I never knew that about Skullgirls' reception.

What were the non-modern things from older games that Mike wanted to keep?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks like mikez didn't even install the patch available.

https://twitter.com/FGC_Flash/status/909082147838758913
lol mike z just comes across as salty to me whenever he talks about other fighting games
If there's one thing I can say I can consistently associate with Mike Z, it's this. So unlikeable.

4 colours per alt, nice.

Nyoro SF

Mike Z is extremely and intimately familiar with fighting game technology and design.

I found it amusing when he calls out modern fighting games and their very basic failings, some solved many times by others decades ago.

mas8705

Worst reviewed major fighting game of the generation incoming?

To say that this will be the worst reviewed game would be to say that SFV had a better launch that MvC:I, to which that is a lie.

Now mind you that had you said "Worst reviewed major fighting game of this year incoming?" then you might sadly be onto something since Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 have had a hell of a launch and I doubt anyone will be holding Pokken DX to any high regards (or as high as Infinite).

Dahbomb

Interesting. I never knew that about Skullgirls' reception.

What were the non-modern things from older games that Mike wanted to keep?
Long ass combos, powerful invincible assists, dirtier mix ups/resets, 6 button lay out despite having assists as well (they never changed it but this was legacy controls for VS series that were changed), hard to blockables (though he does have unblockable protection system).

This whole IPS thing was a god damn mess at start. Every couple of months it would get overhauled and now people would have to learn completely different new combos and ways to exploit it. Must have been two years until they finally got the combo and IPS down.

To say that this will be the worst reviewed game would be to say that SFV had a better launch that MvC:I, to which that is a lie.

Games press is really reactionary to marketing and community feed back, SFV got good reviews because it said Street Fighter on it and I'm pretty sure journalists know that.

patchday

How is Multiverse bad?

It can be rough trying to warm up before going online and going into a multiverse due to the random events (like bombs falling out of the sky interrupting combos). Didnt take long to figure out I was better off in a lab. On top of that it's pretty excessive grinding (so if you want to do a Character Universe it's like what- 30-40 fights?).

It just reeks of f2p mobile features and sort of encourages you to just let the game play itself while you go do something else

All that said the single player story & online play is great and that alone makes it worth buying. But you didn't mention that- instead you mentioned the f2p grinding stuff and the rushed Gear system.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
im going to make a bold prediction (because its hard to predict game scores lol) and say it will get 7s

I thought 7 as overall grade is predictable as heck because some people already called for 7. I think sweespot would be between 7 and 8 because there are many single player contents that people might enjoy so.

Quoting Mike Z on twitter because I'm on mobile "The driver is free to use. It literally costs company no money. *Non-fighting games* use it. How did this game not? >.<"

Thanks. I never knew that it was free until now. I wonder why it's not even there in first place enow.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
bgnwftrd3amz.jpg

I'd be less down with the game if it had nailed its presentation, because the Lobby system seems neat but by god does it look bad.

gunstarhero

Played my friends copy last night - and my copy just arrived (thanks BestBuy!)

This game is awesome fun - The Soul gem and all the chaos it's brings might be worth the price alone.

A shame there seems to be so much negativity already surrounding it - it's not the prettiest game, but it plays perfect (reminds me of Tats vs. Cap) and the gen system is a great addition. Hopefully the reviewers can see past the graphics on this one.

KOF14 received a 80(?) on metacritic overall, so this game should be fine.

Tbh, just based on content, it should get a better score than KOF14, assuming online is as smooth as it is for people who already have the game, since KOF14 online was busted at launch (though playing the team mode for better connections was pretty hilarious and fun in a goofy mario party kind of way). And I like the KOF series, but they really don't have much content, besides arcade mode with a short drawn ending. The time attack and survival also really weren't much, even casually someone probably only did them like once for a trophy.

But games are more than that, so I expect a lower score than 80. First impressions are extremely strong on everyone, and memes really do hurt image in this day and age (even politically and socially, much less a subjective opinion on a game).

Lulubop

How do you fuck up this bad when it comes to presentation. Like how, it doesn't make sense.

guess they had all their desingers working on a 2 hour story mode, with full cutscenes.

ZangBa

The presentation on everything reminds me of Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. It doesn't bother me much, but damn it looks so cheap.

Coda

Played and completed the Story Mode this morning. It was good for what it was and I like some of the stages you unlock through playing it. It is pretty much on par with Street Fighter V's story, it's cheesy and generally falls flat but there some ok moments. Just played it really to get it over with honestly.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The presentation on everything reminds me of Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. It doesn't bother me much, but damn it looks so cheap.

I have this coming from Amazon day one, but I have to admit that is what bothers me most. The overall presentation looks super low budget. Oddly enough the thing it reminds me most of is Capcom Fighting All-Stars from the PS2.

MrCarter

Games press is really reactionary to marketing and community feed back, SFV got good reviews because it said Street Fighter on it and I'm pretty sure journalists know that.

The game's initial roster, gameplay and visual presentation really helped too in that regard however even the strong brand didn't help it reach higher due to the lack of casual content at launch. On the other hand I also don't think good reviews reflect sales unfortunately, because if that was the case KoF14, GG Rev 2 and BlazBlue would have been commercially successful.

I don't even think it looks that bad tho. I guess those pretty colors distracting me from any flaws out there.

It looks fine. The main thing is that it actually has good functionality.

Bob White

Skullgirls has done fine over time. That's because of the numerous balance changes that had to go into the game to fix it because it was a bad game off the bat.

It was a bad game because MikeZ wanted specific stuff from the older games that is no longer good to have in modern games. It wasn't until the community started making him fix things and he realized that the game isn't just something for himself but for everyone else too. And thus he had to keep changing Skullgirls to make it better or it would've been gone to the wayside even by the hardcores.

This is what Skullgirls looked like at the start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDEqgQn9ro

Along with busted assists as well.

So criticizing another game at day 1 for maybe having some busted stuff (that is most likely going to get patched out anyway) just makes you look hypocritical rather than being critical.

So how does modern Skull Girls look?

Dahbomb

It's a good game now. Less TOD and long combos. Less broken assists. More characters as well which opens up a lot of options. Better balance, ISP makes more sense now etc.

It's been a good game for a while now. It just wasn't very good when it first came out.

ZangBa

I have this coming from Amazon day one, but I have to admit that is what bothers me most. The overall presentation looks super low budget. Oddly enough the thing it reminds me most of is Capcom Fighting All-Stars from the PS2.

As bad as it looks, no one will care a week from now. As long as it loads quickly and everything is responsive and fast, which I'm hoping is the case, everyone will be happier in the long run. Nothing aggravates me more than Tekken 7's ridiculous absence of private lobbies for quick rematches.

JayEH

Played and completed the Story Mode this morning. It was good for what it was and I like some of the stages you unlock through playing it. It is pretty much on par with Street Fighter V's story, it's cheesy and generally falls flat but there some ok moments. Just played it really to get it over with honestly.
Does the hunter do anything interesting? Spoiler tag as necessary for others.
Is there a pre-load for the game yet on psn?

Sunday.

I like watching Big Band combos
https://clips.twitch.tv/FancyDepressedSpiderPeteZaroll

Though tbh, I like the direction MVCI is taking from what I've seen, where it seems people's combos are only a few seconds at most, and they are just going for resets. Skullgirls also does go for resets since the IPS lets them burst if you do a loop in a combo,it does feel that you are being comboed for longer that what I've seen from MVCI so far (it's still early but it seems people pop out due to hitstun deterioration), though much shorter than it used to be.

kirblar

Though tbh, I like the direction MVCI is taking from what I've seen, where it seems people's combos are only a few seconds at most, and they are just going for resets. Skullgirls also does go for resets since the IPS lets them burst if you do a loop in a combo,it does feel that you are being comboed for longer that what I've seen from MVCI so far (it's still early but it seems people pop out due to hitstun deterioration), though much shorter than it used to be.
Someone was doing labwork (forget who) and mentioned that how your combo starts off has a massive effect in how it scales, similar to SF games.

Bob White

wait wait wait WAIT

Did he just manually input happy birthday? fucking legit if so

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

is the happy birthday music a part of the super, or is there some sort of button presses to play music mechanic with that character?

because if so, that is the best thing I've seen in at least 7 years and 4 months.

patchday

The game's initial roster, gameplay and visual presentation really helped too in that regard however even the strong brand didn't help it reach higher due to the lack of casual content at launch. On the other hand I also don't think good reviews reflect sales unfortunately, because if that was the case KoF14, GG Rev 2 and BlazBlue would have been commercially successful.

say what? where are you reading this? A quick google for Blazblue sales in Japan alone reveals this statement is false.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What is the on-disc size of the game with the Day 1 patch in?

Are any of the costumes thus far Wave 1? Doesn't seem like it, but just checking.

Who's got a link to Neoxon's X-Men post?

Mizerman

From what I have heard so far the music isn't too bad. Especially the capcom side. Currently Dante and Chris seem to have the weakest themes. Though to be fair Chris had a weak theme even in MVC3.
Marvel is where things are a bit more odd. Some stand out. But a lot seem to kinda blend together.

Nemesis' theme in Infinite is already better than his theme in Ultimate. That damn dubstep ruined it.

I find Chris' better as well, but Dante's remix in here is...eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom