• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell and GOP Senators desperately working on a new "Skinny Repeal" for the ACA

If they vote on MTP, they can vote on passing something.

Make no bones about it.

Eh... I don't think this makes it any easier to pass something. The issues that caused it to fail the last few times still exist. This just has the added benefit of everyone throwing whatever crazy amendments at the bill.

Zolo

Eh... I don't think this makes it any easier to pass something. The issues that caused it to fail the last few times still exist. This just has the added benefit of everyone throwing whatever crazy amendments at the bill.

Also that it looks better to discuss it than just flat out throwing it out.

SpecX

I'm very sorry to say this but I hope your brother-in-law develops a debilitating illness and learns a thing or two.

He's slowly changing, but grew up a republican and has their thought process ingrained in his mind due to his family. We have to avoid politic discussions, though he isn't a Trump supporter which I'm at least happy for.

sangreal

This makes no sense.

That sentiment is literally the reason they are voting today

They figure if they can just get past the MTP the No votes will cave

Republicans view a successful vote on starting debate — expected to be held as soon as Tuesday — as a victory in its own right, even if the bill dies down the road. Their strategy is to go one vote, one day at a time. And each day that a third senator, or pack of senators, doesn't oppose the bill, it's one day closer to an overall victory. Leadership also may be hoping that once the bill gets to the floor and faces a final vote, GOP senators will be unable to resist the pressure to repeal Obamacare.

One Republican compared the strategy to New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick's infamous ”On to Cincinnati" press conference, in which the coach ignored criticisms of the team's 2-2 start by repeatedly focusing on the next game in Cincinnati. The Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl.

(note: this quote is from the previous aborted attempt)

Kevinroc

I can't definitively answer what will or will not happen. But I don't think we can ignore the reality that there is a very real possibility that they will pass something and Trumpcare becomes law.

This makes no sense.

It's phrased inelegantly, but if they can vote on MTP, they can vote on passing a bill.

Short Term - younger healthier people will drop their ACA coverage to save money.

Long Term - older folks will get stuck with higher premiums because there's not enough money in the system. And without the mandate, they'll bail out too and just start saving for their funerals a litter bit earlier.

Great fucking job, GoP.

LWYby_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg

KingV

A couple hundred bucks is a LOT for a good chunk of the population.

A couple hundred bucks is nothing compared to the cost of insurance though. The cost of insurance is a couple of hundred per month.

Though if it maxes out at the cost of a bronze plan, then I could see more people making that choice.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Why not just keep the ACA and actually improve it one by one until it's much better than before? Then you can rename it or something.

That would involve admitting that Obamacare is actual working aside from some needed adjustments. Not the drum they have been beating for years. They are cretinous.

Why not just keep the ACA and actually improve it one by one until it's much better than before? Then you can rename it or something.
Because their interpretation of what a better bill is, is one that is better for corporations to extort patients and not the patients themselves to have affordable healthcare.

It's obama's fault since their version won't take effect until 2018

Say it enough and people will believe that

Tch. I keep reading stuff like this but I don't believe it for a second.

Insurance companies are going to pull out before the ink dries. People are going to lose coverage overnight.

This is one can that can't be kicked.

GodofWine

Aren't there some Russian's Trump can appoint to run healthcare...I might actually favor them over these 'things' in the GOP.

This is going to raise costs to the point that only a public option or single payer could possibly fix things before the system totally collapses.

I've never understood the hate with the mandate. The real issue is the insurance being out of control-- I don't there's a ton of people bitching about auto insurance being mandated

chekhonte

welp it looks like the 3 missing votes will vote yes and they'll move forward on debating the repeal. It's going to get real messy.

Beartruck

This vote was a no-brainer for the GOP in hindsight. They don't have to actually vote on a bill, just vote on maybe looking at a bill. They get the satisfaction of voting on something without hitting the "fuck everything up" button.

Still absolutely disgusting that they're all voting on something when they have absolutely no idea what it's about. It could be a motion to proceed on a bill to dissolve the senate and shoot all of them in the mouth and they could have just voted to consider it for all they know.

Top Bottom