• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Charts: 17 - 23 July

Jonnyram

Because everyone saw the numbers 24h ago in last week's thread.
And because we've become somewhat used to the DSlite / NSMB / non-game onslaught.

Grampasso

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'd say it'll drop in late august. I think it was about to drop this past week if the pink DSL hadn't come out. So I will give it a few more weeks to ride the Pin DSL wave.
Yes, but it should ride also the FFIII wave... and Black DSL wave... and the Pokemon wave O_O

Thomper

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'd say it'll drop in late august. I think it was about to drop this past week if the pink DSL hadn't come out. So I will give it a few more weeks to ride the Pin DSL wave.
But by that time, FF3, the white FF DSL, and the black DSL will be released. All major boosts to the amount of DS' sold, and as we can see in these charts, a lot of new buyers also buy New Super Mario Bros. It could go on for months like this...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Thomper said:
But by that time, FF3, the white FF DSL, and the black DSL will be released. All major boosts to the amount of DS' sold, and as we can see in these charts, a lot of new buyers also buy New Super Mario Bros. It could go on for months like this...

While I'll agree with the black DSL, I think FF3 might hurt it more than help. The brain games I could see because they're impulse buys, but that's 2 full price DS games at the same time. Which might not matter much, but I still don't think FF3 will help it.

Bo130

What do you guys think the DS Lite will do next week? Raise or lower itself? A lot of big games are coming out, Tamagotchi, Mushi King 2, Mario Basketball and Power Pro (online). BUT, almost all of these are sequels, so most people interested might already have a DS. Hm...

It'll be sure to be a great 3rd party week for DS, though.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Oblivion said:
How many more weeks do you guys think NSMB can go while staying over 100k?
If Nintendo can ship 250k DS Lites weekly then NSMB sales will be +100k weekly till the end of January, without a doubt.

Thomper

GreenGlowingGoo said:
While I'll agree with the black DSL, I think FF3 might hurt it more than help. The brain games I could see because they're impulse buys, but that's 2 full price DS games at the same time. Which might not matter much, but I still don't think FF3 will help it.
Indirectly, I think it will. They buy FFIII for a long and big game, and if they'd want shorter play-sessions, they'll go for Mario.

ioi said:
Latest data is up on VGCharts as most of you know.

Some analysis this week:

NSMB posts the second biggest week 9 on record:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japwk.php?week=9

The comparison with Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green has become pretty pointless now as Mario continues to stretch his legs:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

New SMB vs Mario 64:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Super+Mario+64

This gives some idea of the legs you can still expect from NSMB, I'm calling 5m now- beating every Mario game ever in Japan but the original on which it is based- what a return.

Brain Training 2 could do the unthinkable and even catch up with Pokemon R/S before it is finished:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training+2&name2=Pokemon+Ruby+%2F+Sapphire

DS vs GBA hardware:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=GBA&type=2

Now 3m ahead in the same timeframe and likely to just extend the lead even further in the next 6 months, probably overtaking the GBA LTD in around Feb-March 2007!!!

Great Job.

What are now your predictions for new Super Mario bros. in the long term ? Will it reach Super Mario Land ?

ioi

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Great Job.

What are now your predictions for new Super Mario bros. in the long term ? Will it reach Super Mario Land ?

Comfortably. 4.5m is very likely and anything upto 5.5m is possible I think. The DS is going to continue to be enormous over Xmas and beyond, and NSMB / BT / AC will just continue to ride the wave...

Since Loco Roco bombed, it's price in japan also dropped from 4800yen to 1980yen.
viploader243385.jpg

And even DS has Loco Roco!!!:lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klt0ZrXl_4U

I can't complain about 3rd Party DS sales this time because they've all managed to keep onto the chart for a nice 2nd-3rd week jog.

What I would like to know is what is Children of Mana's LTD in Japan? Magic box used to have the Top 30 famitsu chart posted everyweek with the numbers, but the 3 weeks CoM popped it's head back into the Top 30, they didn't put the chart up :(

verplant

LanceStern said:
I can't complain about 3rd Party DS sales this time because they've all managed to keep onto the chart for a nice 2nd-3rd week jog.

What I would like to know is what is Children of Mana's LTD in Japan? Magic box used to have the Top 30 famitsu chart posted everyweek with the numbers, but the 3 weeks CoM popped it's head back into the Top 30, they didn't put the chart up :(

its over 260,000 at 2006/06/25 (klick)... so it's about 280,000 at the end of july!

ethelred

LanceStern said:

verplant said:
its over 260,000 at 2006/06/25 (klick)... so it's about 280,000 at the end of july!

That is not correct. Famitsu had it at 280,377 as of June. So it's even higher now that we're nearing the end of July.

I'd say 300k (if it's not there yet) is guaranteed.

We're being optimistic in hoping that game devs will be smart enough to think 'Wow, if a mediocre game like CoM breaks 300,000, think about what our quality titles would do!'

ethelred

Barf_the_Mog said:
Wasn't CoM rated so-so? Why should we want it to pass 300,000? It would only encourage more mediocrity.

CoM has not, largely, been considered mediocre at all. It's been considered to be an entirely different sort of game than its predecessors in the Mana series -- but given that it's a spinoff, not a sequel, that's to be expected. For what it is (a loot-collecting dungeon crawler), it's excellent.

And I want it to sell extremely well to help establish a stronger RPG market on the DS. I want the DS to be considered an extremely viable platform for developers on which to put their RPGs (particularly if they're 2D sprite-based like Children of Mana) and I want consumers to accept those to continue the cycle.

Mr. Smith

i think it is time for sony to consider making games for the ds if they want to make some money :lol , the top 10 is ds land.

Saoh

ethelred said:
CoM has not, largely, been considered mediocre at all. It's been considered to be an entirely different sort of game than its predecessors in the Mana series -- but given that it's a spinoff, not a sequel, that's to be expected. For what it is (a loot-collecting dungeon crawler), it's excellent.

whats so different about it? from the videos, it looks like a SNES mana game.

Bo130

Pureauthor said:
Don't mean it now, why would I mean it a week later? :lol

...I dunno :p Still, the 3rd party next week is gonna be SO interesting and important for the DS :D Hope it does well. It's really the only part lacking of the japanese sale.

EDIT: They're out today, on the list next week :)

The next Tamagotchi DS - the first one is the only 3rd party title to pass the million
The next Mushi King DS - the GBA one sold amazingly, the DS didn't. The DS-version was a remake, though - this is all new.
The next Power Pro Baseball for DS - this time with online.

I expect all three to sell well. Besides, then there's the new Crash Game, Jensei-Game, Mario Basketball and the new Bit Generations. Don't expect them to do that well, though. Perhaps Mario Basketball :)

ethelred

Barf_the_Mog said:
third party games EXCEPT tomagachi (sp?)

Tamagotchi, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto RPG 2, Children of Mana, Slime Morimori, etc.

Saoh said:
whats so different about it? from the videos, it looks like a SNES mana game.

Like I said in my post, it's a loot-based dungeon crawler -- there's more of an emphasis on hack-and-slashing through dungeons and solving dungeon-based sidequests.

wonderfuldays said:
Since Loco Roco bombed, it's price in japan also dropped from 4800yen to 1980yen.
viploader243385.jpg

And even DS has Loco Roco!!!:lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klt0ZrXl_4U

Not surprising. LocoRoco was never going to be a big seller. It is one of those games that just want appeal to the mainstream market no matter how much Sony tries to advertise it. It's a great game, just not a game that has a lot of mainstream appeal. It's another great game that never had a chance to sell well.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Viewtiful Darkness said:
Not surprising. LocoRoco was never going to be a big seller. It is one of those games that just want appeal to the mainstream market no matter how much Sony tries to advertise it. It's a great game, just not a game that has a lot of mainstream appeal. It's another great game that never had a chance to sell well.

Okay, people say that the PSP needs more pick-up-and-play games like Loco Roco to capture the Japanese audience. Now that it bombed, it's easy to say "It never had a chance." What does the PSP need to have to survive and thrive?

Barf_the_Mog said:
What does the PSP need to have to survive and thrive?

Copy Nintendo. That's not a fanboyish remark, either, but it seems that whenever a competitor (Sega, Atari, and now Sony) tries to carve out a fresh market, somewhat mutually exclusive from that of Nintendo, they end up at the bottom. Granted, the PSP is the most successful handheld to ever compete against Nintendo's monopoly, but I think it's a product that is simply riding off the success of the Playstation brand. Had a small company released the PSP, with all the games and features of the current PSP, it would have bombed big time.

jett

D-Member
I don't think there's anything Sony can do with the PSP. It's seriously over. Seems like that portable was a bad financial decision altogether.

jett said:
I don't think there's anything Sony can do with the PSP. It's seriously over. Seems like that portable was a bad financial decision altogether.

Except it's the fastest selling Playstation product according to Sony and is actually profitable.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
But they have been copying Nintendo to some degree. Sega released Brain Training. Lumines was a better puzzle game than Meteos and now its sequal will soon be unleashed. Loco Roco was supposed to fill the quirky Japanese-style quick-play game. They've had RPGs, FPS, online games, sports games, racing games....what does the DS do different?

jett said:
Seems like that portable was a bad financial decision altogether.
Bad decision period. If not for the PSP, Nintendo would have never have released the DS to combat it.

The DS would never have had a chance to prove that the Playstation name did not equate to instant and complete financial success.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Wasn't CoM rated so-so? Why should we want it to pass 300,000? It would only encourage more mediocrity.

Or another, real Mana game. Or just more support in general.

I don't understand how DS could sell so well yet PSP gets all the third parties' biggest games. I think its great PSP getting such good support, as I plan on buying one some day, but I'd like to see games that the PSP is getting all the time on the DS too once in a while. I know I said this before in another thread but I'm repetetive like that. :p

One of the rumors Ive heard is that if you develop for the PSP you get reduced rates on PS3 costs. That would explain alot of this with 3rd parties.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
bmf said:
Bad decision period. If not for the PSP, Nintendo would have never have released the DS to combat it.

I don't think that's true, they just wouldn't have released the DS quite so early.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Sega released Brain Training.
Sure, but PSP just isn't built to do something like Brain Training as well. DS has Ridge Racer, but sitting next to the PSP version noone cares.

Lumines was a better puzzle game than Meteos and now its sequal will soon be unleashed.
Not like either of those games have been a major deal.

what does the DS do different?
To call back moku's DS game chart, it seems to be a combination of Nintendo as developer, and the touch screen allowing for new types of interaction; neither of which is possible on PSP.

Top Bottom