• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Charts: 17 - 23 July

An actual, listed 0? Shit, I didn't think when programming things like year-over-year or week-over-week I'd actually need any checking to make sure the division would be possible.

http://wiki.joshuajamesslone.name/tiki-index.php?page=Media+Create:+This+Week
pacchartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/pacchartweekly.php?date1=2006-07-17
barchartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/barchartweekly.php?date1=2006-07-17
piechartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/piechartweekly.php?date1=2006-07-17

DS+DSL has now overtaken the total sales from last year given the same number of weeks.

GBASP after 21 weeks: 1.25M
DSL after 21 weeks: 3.19M
Time for GBASP to reach 3.19M: 57 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 21 weeks: 325K
"DS after DSL" after 21 weeks: 474K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 474K: 36 weeks

DS after 21 weeks: 2.17M
PSP after 21 weeks: 1.27M
GBM after 21 weeks: 444K

Graphically

Rock_Man

PSP is now over 1 million YTD and DS just passed 4 million. If DS sells more than 32,916 units next (this) week its YTD will surpass the total amount sold in 2005!

Edit:
If Xbox sells like this every week from now on, it will never reach 500k.
There is a very good chance that Xbox sales increase infinitely next week though (but total sales won't reach 500k in any case)

Jiggy

dabra said:
YTD/LTD

NDS - 4,118,440/9,765,392
PSP - 1,024,119/3,707,081
I really want to see what happens when Pokemon hits. Just two months and one day away, and then another week before we see the sales...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DS/DSL

2004 - 1,495,596
2005 - 4,151,356
2006 - 4,118,440

LTD - 9,765,392

The next chart will see the DS 2006 YTD pass the 2005 YTD and it still has 5 months left in the year. It's also very likely the DS LTD will pass 10 million in the next chart also.

BTW the DSL LTD will pass the PSP LTD in a few weeks..

DSL - 3,192,974
PSP - 3,707,081

apujanata

I currently have 3 GBA (2 GBA + 1 GBA SP), 3 DS (2 DS + 1 DSL).

I am thinking about buying 1 more DSL (probably Jet black one) for my son.

Pro :
- DSL battery can stay alive much longer compared to DS (right now, my DS can be played for about 5 hours from full charge).
- DSL have 4 brightness setting, which is very usefull for playing under the sun, and can minimize eye strain (I don't want my son to start using eyeglass at early years. Currently, he is almost 7 years)
- I have 4 DS, which enable 4 persons multiplayer game. However, my second son is only 2 years old, so it might be too early for him to be the fourth player.

Con :
- It is not strictly necessary purchase (my wife might complain)
- Microphone placement is not optimal
- I might have less money to spent for Wii games, since I plan to buy one on launch.

Any suggestion for me from GAF-ers?

apujanata

Fuzzy said:
DS/DSL

The next chart will see the DS 2006 YTD pass the 2005 YTD and it still has 5 months left in the year. It's also very likely the DS LTD will pass 10 million in the next chart also.

the more important question is this :
Will DSL+DS sales for the week of Dec 18 - 24 2006 surpass the previous record of 597,628 for Dec 19 - 25 2005 ? If yes, by how much ? Is 1 Million unit for that one week a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

Raw64life

apujanata said:
the more important question is this :
Will DSL+DS sales for the week of Dec 18 - 24 2006 surpass the previous record of 597,628 for Dec 19 - 25 2005 ? If yes, by how much ? Is 1 Million unit for that one week a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

I'm going to say no, but only because of the inevitable shortages.

verplant

ethelred said:
That is not correct. Famitsu had it at 280,377 as of June. So it's even higher now that we're nearing the end of July.

I'd say 300k (if it's not there yet) is guaranteed.

oh.. bad typo... you're right, it's not 260,377 but 280,377

thx

Bo130

Do you reckon the DS, GBA or XBox will be removed from the charts first? I'm actually betting on DS, seeing as there is much stock left since they stopped production.

donny2112

apujanata said:
BTW, comparing NDS's third party to PSP's third party is actually comparing NDS's weakness to PSP's strength. It is natural that NDS weakness is < PSP's strength. Should it ever come a day where NDS weakness is > PSP's strength, PSP will start their decline.

That day came maybe 6-9 months ago?

typhonsentra said:
It's pretty clear that products sell very strictly by brand loyalty. Sony had no chance, there's nothing they could've done that would've garnered more success in Japan against Nintendo's dominance in the market.

quetz67 (incorrectly) made the same assumption. Did being from the makers of the GameBoy help at first? Yes. However, the PSP was consistently outselling the DS early last year until Brain Training came out. Even the huge jump from Nintendogs was about to wear off (just like the jump from the Black/White DS did before Nintendogs) when Brain Training hit. After that, the baseline weekly sales were shifted about 10K per week higher than the baseline from before. Another 5-10K when Gentle Brain Training came out.

In other words, the PSP was beating the DS until the "non-game" software came out.

AniHawk said:
I'm glad Sony forced Nintendo to bring handheld gaming out of the ghetto.

Maybe we should start taking all the pre-U.S. launch hype statements made about the PSP and apply them to the DS. :lol

dabra said:
YTD/LTD

NDS - 4,118,440/9,765,392
PSP - 1,024,119/3,707,081

So the DS was at 4 million YTD when the PSP hit 1 million YTD. Anyone want to guess where the DS LTD will be when the PSP LTD hits 4 million?

I'd say just over 12 million.

apujanata said:
Any suggestion for me from GAF-ers?

Don't buy anymore DSs until Nintendo 1) drops the price or 2) comes out with a special edition you have to get. Your 2-year old son can probably learn better on the simpler GBA before jumping into the DS.

AniHawk

Maybe we should start taking all the pre-U.S. launch hype statements made about the PSP and apply them to the DS.

Maybe it's the novelty of consoles finally wearing off, or the fact there's nothing appealing to me right now, even from my backlog, but I've been playing handhelds (DS with some GBA games) a lot lately.

Back in the mid-90s, all I had was Game Boy (and an atari 2600, and as awesome as Adventure and Pitfall are, they can only last so long). I played that thing all the time. Then, right around the time when I bought an N64, and got the GBC, I sorta fell out of love with handhelds. Then the GBA came along and I was pretty indifferent towards it. I didn't really like Mario Kart, and only bought one of the Mario Advance titles (because SMB 3 is the best Mario game ever). I eventually played all the big games on the Game Boy Player (which I was excited for). The GBA titles were like new SNES games for me that I hadn't played before (because I never had an SNES when it was alive). Pokemon Ruby, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Fire Emblem, The Minish Cap, etc. And once the DS came along, I pretty much tossed it to the side (I was going to make a decent profit off it until my sister convinced me to play the thing).

But last October, I found myself playing it a lot. Phoenix Wright, Lost in Blue, Castlevaniads... I couldn't put it down. And since then, I think the most time I've put into console gaming has been Fepor and DQVIII (I played Shadow of the Colossus and Half-Life 2, which were both EXCELLENT, but they lasted under 10 hours each). Hell, right now, my DS library rivals my GBA library, and the DS isn't even half the GBA's age.

AniHawk said:
Hell, right now, my DS library rivals my GBA library, and the DS isn't even half the GBA's age.

My DS/GBA (I never had a GBA, so all GBA purchases are for the DS only) library already outpaces my GameCube collection and is rapidly approaching both the ps2 and ps1. Considering all the games coming out this year....

scary stuff.

I hope neo comes soon with first day sales...I can't understand a single thing in sinobi's post :lol

Anyway, this week has potential to put 5-6 new titles in the top10.

PS2 Sengoku Basara 2
PS2 Kamaitachi no Yoru 3
PSP Derby Stallion P
NDS Mario Basketball 3 vs 3
NDS Tamagotchi no Petit Omisechi Gohiikini
NDS Mushiking: Road to Greatest Champion 2
NDS Atsumare! Power Pro-kun no DS Koushien

Outside those...some other important titles...

PS2 Blood+ The Battle Rondo of Twin Wings SCE ¥7,140
PS2 Simple 2000: Earth Defense Force Tactics D3 Publisher ¥2,625
NDS Crash Bandicoot Festival Vivendi ¥5,040
X360 Bullet Witch AQ Interactive ¥7,665
X360 Senko no Rondo Rev.X G.Rev ¥7,140
X360 Shutoko Battle X Genki ¥7,140
X360 Zegapain XOR Bandai Namco ¥7,140

Bo130

I'm looking forward to seeing Shaberu!s 2nd week and NSMBs 10th week (!!) as well, but yeah. Great week coming for us :D. I'm guessing Mario Basketball will be about 70k for the first week, nothing more...

Archie said:
Yeah.

Megaman ZX
FFIII

....ummm

C'mon, the last of the holy three of the 3rd party old-school goodness:

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

On the RPG side:

Contact
Deep Labyrinth
Pokemon D/P
Tales of the Tempest
Lunar Knights

The Nintendo goodness:

Yoshi's Island 2
Kirby Squeak Squad

Others:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Mario Hoops: 3-on-3

(My wallet is already screaming for mercy.)

bloke

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I hope neo comes soon with first day sales...I can't understand a single thing in sinobi's post :lol

Anyway, this week has potential to put 5-6 new titles in the top10.

PS2 Sengoku Basara 2
98,000 56%
PS2 Kamaitachi no Yoru 3
71,000 56%
PSP Derby Stallion P
24,000 21%
NDS Mario Basketball 3 vs 3
46,000 46%
NDS Tamagotchi no Petit Omisechi Gohiikini
96,000 24%
NDS Mushiking: Road to Greatest Champion 2
15,000 11%
NDS Atsumare! Power Pro-kun no DS Koushien

Outside those...some other important titles...

PS2 Blood+ The Battle Rondo of Twin Wings SCE ¥7,140
2,100 23%
PS2 Simple 2000: Earth Defense Force Tactics D3 Publisher ¥2,625
3,300 71%
NDS Crash Bandicoot Festival Vivendi ¥5,040
X360 Bullet Witch AQ Interactive ¥7,665
4,800 60%
X360 Senko no Rondo Rev.X G.Rev ¥7,140
regular ed. 2,100 56%
limited ed. 2,000
4,100 overall
X360 Shutoko Battle X Genki ¥7,140