• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Charts: 17 - 23 July

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Mama Smurf said:
I don't think that's true, they just wouldn't have released the DS quite so early.
Imo the point wasn't not to release the DS at all, but not to release it as a reaction to Sony and therefore being able to show, that they are able to beat Sony.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Yoshi said:
Imo the point wasn't not to release the DS at all, but not to release it as a reaction to Sony and therefore being able to show, that they are able to beat Sony.

Oh I see. Yeah, that makes sense.

Mama Smurf said:
I don't think that's true, they just wouldn't have released the DS quite so early.
I've seen specs and pictures of the Nitro, which is the prototype that the DS was based off of. It was single screened, and was basically a GBA with 3d capabilities.

speculation
It would have been the default buy for those looking for a handheld, but it wouldn't have held the new strategy that Nintendo's been looking at or captured teh imagination of nintendo's internal developments like the DS has.
/speculation

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jett said:
I don't think there's anything Sony can do with the PSP. It's seriously over. Seems like that portable was a bad financial decision altogether.

:lol

Their Q1 financials say otherwise.

Shiggy

bmf said:
I've seen specs and pictures of the Nitro, which is the prototype that the DS was based off of. It was single screened, and was basically a GBA with 3d capabilities.

speculation
It would have been the default buy for those looking for a handheld, but it wouldn't have held the new strategy that Nintendo's been looking at or captured teh imagination of nintendo's internal developments like the DS has.
/speculation

Give us those pictures :D

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
bmf said:

Yeah, Edge had them, what's your point? Nintendo started out making a successor to the GBA that was the same but more powerful, there's a shocker. I don't see any indication that this was changed because of the PSP, I just think it was brought forwards.

speculation
/speculation

Everything you said was speculation, you don't need to highlight bits.

cvxfreak

viploader243385.jpg

1980 Yen = $16.95 at this moment.

I said wow.

Last Hope

I am impressed that the Xbox 360 is still selling almost 1500 a week. MS should give themselves a pat on the back. It is still dead in Japan with the PS2 selling more units in a week than the Xbox does a year but it is still an increase from their first attempt.

KINGMOKU

Okay, now we have one for each system(PSP, DS) And can compare numbers, and the types of games that are in each's top nine;

psptop9.jpg

finaljapansalesds.jpg

Whew. Done. :D

Last Hope said:
I am impressed that the Xbox 360 is still selling almost 1500 a week. MS should give themselves a pat on the back. It is still dead in Japan with the PS2 selling more units in a week than the Xbox does a year but it is still an increase from their first attempt.

Eh, Xbox360 is doing worse than the Xbox.

Tadaima

bmf said:
"Chart by Eddz Walsh of www.stabhead.com" is how I read it. Isn't there a stabhead avatar on someone around here?

Yeah, that's me :p

Mario chart with updated numbers for Famicom SMB and SM64DS:

mario_230606.png

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
moku said:
Okay, now we have one for each system(PSP, DS) And can compare numbers, and the types of games that are in each's top nine;

psptop9.jpg

finaljapansalesds.jpg

The only charts that matter are how third party software is doing. :D

KINGMOKU

I guess I could do one for the top 20 PSP/DS games in Japan total sales.

Before I do it though, anyone want something specific? Like top30 with pics, or something else? All games, for top sellers all time?

Rock_Man

Here is a comparison of sales from 2005 and 2006. There were no big software release for PSP last summer and that's why it actually sells way better in July this year. Don't know if I have to mention it, but DS is also selling better now compared to one year ago...

dspsp0506gd2.png

apujanata

moku said:

psptop9.jpg

finaljapansalesds.jpg

I have forgotten how big the difference between the software sales of those two platform. Seeing that # 10 of NDS software is bigger than #1 for PSP software is reall shocking.

I hope that Tamagochi 2 is doing better than Tamogochi 1, like Brain Age 2 is doing better than Brain Age 1. And lookin forward to see the result of FF3.

BTW, comparing NDS's third party to PSP's third party is actually comparing NDS's weakness to PSP's strength. It is natural that NDS weakness is < PSP's strength. Should it ever come a day where NDS weakness is > PSP's strength, PSP will start their decline.

LOcKY

tis a shame there isnt a report on how much profit the 3rd party make on their software on both platforms.

you have to all remember that DS is cheaper to make games compared to PsP

It's pretty clear that products sell very strictly by brand loyalty. Sony had no chance, there's nothing they could've done that would've garnered more success in Japan against Nintendo's dominance in the market. For Nintendo to loss, they would've had to of been the ones to drop the ball in a dramatic way and they didn't. They priced aggressively early on and rode their already high hardware sales all the way to the top in Japan.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
typhonsentra said:
It's pretty clear that products sell very strictly by brand loyalty. Sony had no chance, there's nothing they could've done that would've garnered more success in Japan against Nintendo's dominance in the market. For Nintendo to loss, they would've had to of been the ones to drop the ball in a dramatic way and they didn't. They priced aggressively early on and rode their already high hardware sales all the way to the top in Japan.

Just so you know, DS has been (and still is) higher priced than the GBA ever was, and on top of that, the DS is selling BETTER than the GBA.

Tadaima

Oblivion said:
Just so you know, DS has been (and still is) higher priced than the GBA ever was, and on top of that, the DS is selling BETTER than the GBA.

Yeah, but there isn't a single person in Japan who doesn't already own a GBA.

...Or PS2, for that matter.

;D

Oblivion said:

I know that. I'm saying that the initial barrier was the Gameboy success though. I mean, DS was winning with just SM64 and Warioware at launch.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Eddz said:
Yeah, but there isn't a single person in Japan who doesn't already own a GBA.

...Or PS2, for that matter.

;D

I don't mean now. That would be blatantly obvoius. I meant within the same period that the GBA and PS2 were in.

typhonsentra said:

This is, like, outstandingly untrue.

The DS had a moribund start in Japan. Is your argument really that only brand loyalty (not specific software drivers of sales) lead to the DS shattering innumerable sales records and becoming the single most desirable gadget in the entire archipelago?

Also, I find that incompatible with the now-downplayed pre-launch brand loyalty pro-PSP argument.

Firestorm

Is this a plan by Microsoft to steal the DS Lite's thunder? I mean, it sold 120,000 more than last week but I can't stop thinking about the Xbox :lol

Top Bottom