• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10 - 16 July

fresquito

How are there 45 weeks remaining when a regular year has around 52 weeks and we are ending July? 4 months ahead, 4 weeks each month: 16 week. Now we can make it a little less solid and you´ve got 16 to 20 weeks.

fresquito

Barf_the_Mog said:
I caught the error, but it still might reach 17 million units with december, pokemon, FF III, right?

Don´t know, 17 millions seem too high. Feassible anyway. We will see, but PS3 and Wii will surelly affect DS sales on the negative side.

ioi

Banned
fresquito said:
Don´t know, 17 millions seem too high. Feassible anyway. We will see, but PS3 and Wii will surelly affect DS sales on the negative side.

13.5m seems about reasonable now, although I've given up making predictions!!

fresquito

ioi said:
Yep, I was thinking of 13-15 millions. But you are right, predicting how DS will work is proven to be impossible. It will do astonishingly well, but just how? don´t know.

JavyOO7

Haha, damn. Animal Crossing is so close to DQ8. If it keeps on selling 30k+ it should pass it sooner or later. Brain Age 2 looks like it'll do it first than AC though...

KINGMOKU

ioi, what charts do you get your numbers from? They are different from everones else's.

Your NSMB numbers for this week are higher then the MC ones.

P90

Amir0x said:
Not really... just a sort of on going forum joke where something as terrible as Xenosaga III outsells something like P3... the only comparrison is that they're both late cycle PS2 RPGs.

have you played either game?

donny2112

neo2046 said:
unconfirmed data
NDS Kanpeki Kanji - 22,500 [NEW]
NDS Kanpeki English - 7,100 [NEW]

This is what happens when third-parties finally get a clue! These are just word dictionaries with some simplistic gameplay thrown in to keep things interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to see these eventually cross 100K with good word of mouth. :)

Calidor

ioi said:

I think it can do even better, you can count with 1m on last 2 weeks, and honestly if Nintendo can keep the production rate, I don't see the DS selling less than 200k a week until the end of the year

ioi

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
No you haven't. You just made one.

Well, no- I've just picked a random number out of the air that seems roughly feasible.

Before I'd go through month by month and try to estimate the weekly sales pattern with sales dropping to 50k by whenever then boosting back upto 150k then 450k and so on.

Now I just think it is pointless bothering as you really cannot use any past models or trends to predict what will happen next with the DS, it really is in a world of it's own now...

heidern

ioi said:
Actually 13.5M seems at the low end of what the DS should achieve. If the DS averages 150K through November(including this 262K week) that puts it at around 12.5M sold. It should then easily be able to do 2 million in the 5 weeks for December putting it at 14.5M. To be honest right not looks as if the weekly average will be above 150K a week for the rest of the year, possibly even around 200K a week. That would put it at 14.5M with December to go.

And you gotta remember this time last year the DS was averaging less than 35K a week, a fraction of what it doing right now. In fact it was this week last year the DS finally passed 1M YTD. Considering this year the system is averaging 4 or 5 times what it did last year you'd have to say that this December will top last years, and should do so handily. Of course in doing so it would mean record breaking sales for any territory for a system.

That does present a real logistical problem though. If the pattern keeps up the DS should theoretically be doing 8-10 Million in December alone. Now sure, that's probably unlikey, but even 4 million is a logistical nightmare. With the way the DS appeals to entirely different markets at the same time I would not write off any possibility. But it is definitely hard to say how that will pan out. I would say right now that 15M by year end is a lowball estimate. With a high end estimate being:

20 weeks @ 200K = 4M
5 weeks December @ 6M
Putting DS around 19.5 million by year end. (And yes, I know the theretical 8-10M would mean it smashes this :))

KINGMOKU

ioi said:
Well, no- I've just picked a random number out of the air that seems roughly feasible.

Before I'd go through month by month and try to estimate the weekly sales pattern with sales dropping to 50k by whenever then boosting back upto 150k then 450k and so on.

Now I just think it is pointless bothering as you really cannot use any past models or trends to predict what will happen next with the DS, it really is in a world of it's own now...
ioi, if you dont mind, where do you get your numbers from? They always seem high.

argon

LordPhlegm said:
20 weeks averaging 200K a week? That seems rather high, but I rarely follow sales data.

If you count the holiday period and average things out, it's not really that high of an estimate. If the DS sells at least 125k per week through november and then 2 million in december, it will make that average.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
You have to think, though, that within those 20 weeks Pokemon, FF III, and a black DS will be released. Some weeks may be as low as 100,000 units, while others may be as high as 350,000.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
heidern said:
Actually 13.5M seems at the low end of what the DS should achieve. If the DS averages 150K through November(including this 262K week) that puts it at around 12.5M sold. It should then easily be able to do 2 million in the 5 weeks for December putting it at 14.5M. To be honest right not looks as if the weekly average will be above 150K a week for the rest of the year, possibly even around 200K a week. That would put it at 14.5M with December to go.

And you gotta remember this time last year the DS was averaging less than 35K a week, a fraction of what it doing right now. In fact it was this week last year the DS finally passed 1M YTD. Considering this year the system is averaging 4 or 5 times what it did last year you'd have to say that this December will top last years, and should do so handily. Of course in doing so it would mean record breaking sales for any territory for a system.

That does present a real logistical problem though. If the pattern keeps up the DS should theoretically be doing 8-10 Million in December alone. Now sure, that's probably unlikey, but even 4 million is a logistical nightmare. With the way the DS appeals to entirely different markets at the same time I would not write off any possibility. But it is definitely hard to say how that will pan out. I would say right now that 15M by year end is a lowball estimate. With a high end estimate being:

20 weeks @ 200K = 4M
5 weeks December @ 6M
Putting DS around 19.5 million by year end. (And yes, I know the theretical 8-10M would mean it smashes this :))
There is no way that DS sell that much (6m in December alone), I personaly think 14.5m - 15m is a great estimate (more like 14.5m considering supply issues). It can sell a lot more if Nintendo can make 3m DS Lite units per month.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Barf_the_Mog said:
You have to think, though, that within those 20 weeks Pokemon, FF III, and a black DS will be released. Some weeks may be as low as 100,000 units, while others may be as high as 350,000.

Try over 600k. :p

starship

Oblivion said:
Try over 600k. :p
Not till December, I think we will see +600k sales in December but its impossible to see these kinds of sales during non-December period.

king zell

i cant wait to see the first day numbers for :

DS Atsumare! Power Pro-kun no DS Koushien
DS Crash Bandicoot Festival
DS Mario Basketball 3 vs 3
DS Mushiking: Road to Greatest Champion 2
DS Tamogotchi 2

all in the same day ( the 27th ) . next week well rock even more for the DS :)

donny2112

From the famous "Predictions for PSP sales by end of 2005" thread ...

sonycowboy said:
Midas said:
As many as Sony can produce.

IAWTP 100%

It's the only correct answer. Although, this is NOT to say that you will NEVER see them on shelves. It's just that they won't last long on the shelves without constant replenishment. Also, stores will presumably stock up closer to the holidays so they may not be that hard to find in August or September, but then the holiday sales will eat up whatever inventory might be out there and then some.

I'm not trying to belittle early opinions of the PSP's sales forecast.

That said, I find it quite ironic that this statement could be given about the DS in Japan this year, and the only part people would disagree with is "they may not be that hard to find in August or September." FFIII in August and Pokemon in September.

Shortages until next Spring at the earliest seems almost a lock, now, in Japan.

Edit: I may be banned soon for accidentally bumping that old thread. :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
kia said:
Not till December, I think we will see +600k sales in December but its impossible to see these kinds of sales during non-December period.

Yeah, I was talking about December. :p

ioi

Banned
donny2112 said:

That said, I find it quite ironic that this statement could be given about the DS in Japan this year, and the only part people would disagree with is "they may not be that hard to find in August or September." FFIII in August and Pokemon in September.

lol, that Broshnat guy was spot on ;-)

heidern

kia said:
There is no way that DS sell that much (6m in December alone), I personaly think 14.5m - 15m is a great estimate (more like 14.5m considering supply issues).

This time last year, sales of 600K in December, 300K in May and 260K in July were impossible. It remains to be seen what other records it can break, but considering the increasing quality in the software I don't see why the idea of increasing DS sales should be written off. Over the next 10 weeks there's gonna be FFIII, Winning Eleven and the Black DS and Pokemon. On top of that there's things like Tamagotchi and Tales. Oh and of course the possiblity that Touch Generations will make further inroads. Who knows, maybe the cooking software will go on to sell a million, mostly to brand new DSers?

As for supply issues, no doubt they are the biggest factor in limiting things. But even with current levels they'd be able to hit 14.5M or more and yet Nintendo are upping production even now up from 1.5M to 2.2M. I think a good estimate is around 16.5M. That would need 175K a month(This 4 weeks average is virtually guaranteed to be above that due to this week) with a 3.5M December.

It still blows my mind that we are talking about perpetual shortages of the DS in Japan until NEXT spring.

What is the likelihood that Nintendo will be pushing 3 million in their production by the end of the year? Basically I'm wondering how long it takes to increase production on something like the DSL?

IMO, Pokémon gamers haven't come over to the DS yet. When D/P comes out, sales for games aimed at younger gamers will increase by a lot. That's a definite for North America and Europe; I'm thinking games like Ice Age aren't doing as well on DS than on GBA because Pokémon gamers and Ice Age gamers are one group of gamers.

KINGMOKU

A Link to the Past said:
IMO, Pokémon gamers haven't come over to the DS yet. When D/P comes out, sales for games aimed at younger gamers will increase by a lot. That's a definite for North America and Europe; I'm thinking games like Ice Age aren't doing as well on DS than on GBA because Pokémon gamers and Ice Age gamers are one group of gamers.
Thats exactly how I feel, but,I feel its even more pronounced in the States.

It could be the thing that spurs the DS into insano levels in the U.S., becuase if NSMB is any sort of gauge,the demand may increase to stupid levels.

Its almost insane that the only thing seemingly limiting the amount of DS's sold, is sheer production capacity. If the DS takes off in the United States like I think it will when the Pokebomb hits, there is NO WAY IN HELL Nintendo can produce enough unts to fufill demand.

LOcKY

i wonder what the WiFi features for pokemon D/P, im just curious how long its gonna take those western developers to take note user base of the DS and not make some half baked half arse of a game.

Juice

A Link to the Past said:

Did you just label a group of kids "Ice Age gamers"

I hereby rue this day.
But agree completely.

heavenly

donny2112 said:

Midas said:
As many as Sony can produce.

That's funny. Because I actually thought the same as Midas when the PSP came out. Funny how it seems that statement LITERALLY applies to the NDS now. Uncanny.

Those workers at the plants gotta be working crazy overtime. I wonder if Nintendo pays them well?

heavenly said:
That's funny. Because I actually thought the same as Midas when the PSP came out. Funny how it seems that statement LITERALLY applies to the NDS now. Uncanny.

Those workers at the plants gotta be working crazy overtime. I wonder if Nintendo pays them well?
I thought that too. The PSP just had that brilliant launch. But the DS got Nintendogs and that sealed it for me.

fresquito said:
How are there 45 weeks remaining when a regular year has around 52 weeks and we are ending July? 4 months ahead, 4 weeks each month: 16 week. Now we can make it a little less solid and you´ve got 16 to 20 weeks.
5 months * 4.3 weeks/month = 22-ish weeks.

Or to be more accurate, whenever we get the final hardware numbers tomorrow, that will be week 29, so there should be 23 more. Still, 7 million is a tall order. However, I find I've used that phrase before...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3003408&postcount=321
JoshuaJSlone said:
Reaching 10 million by the end of the summer would mean it would have to sell nearly as well as this week every week for the next half year, which does seem a pretty tall order.

I also found this old image from March where I showed my estimate of weekly DS/L hardware sales in an attempt to come up with a yearly total. Clearly... not so correct.

Barf_The_Mog said:
They'll have to really push supply to have that many available... but I guess this week they were able to sell 100K over the norm, so who knows.

starship

heidern said:
This time last year, sales of 600K in December, 300K in May and 260K in July were impossible. It remains to be seen what other records it can break, but considering the increasing quality in the software I don't see why the idea of increasing DS sales should be written off. Over the next 10 weeks there's gonna be FFIII, Winning Eleven and the Black DS and Pokemon. On top of that there's things like Tamagotchi and Tales. Oh and of course the possiblity that Touch Generations will make further inroads. Who knows, maybe the cooking software will go on to sell a million, mostly to brand new DSers?

As for supply issues, no doubt they are the biggest factor in limiting things. But even with current levels they'd be able to hit 14.5M or more and yet Nintendo are upping production even now up from 1.5M to 2.2M. I think a good estimate is around 16.5M. That would need 175K a month(This 4 weeks average is virtually guaranteed to be above that due to this week) with a 3.5M December.
They will produce 11m units till the end of the year at this pace (2.2m/month) and you think they will ship 7m of them in Japan? and only 4m to NA, Europe and other territories?
Also December of last year was when the DS craze has begun, so its unaccurate to say because DS sales this year is at 4-5 times more than the same time last year (which its sales was weak and it hadn't exploded yet) then its sales in December should be around 4 times more than December of last year which put this December sales at your theoritical estimate of 8m-10m.
And finally I dont think there isn't (won't be) demand for DS to sell more than 14.5m but I think Nintendo cant supply enough units to do that. As I said if they ramp up production to 3m units per month, then its another story and we will see more sales but I dont think its going to happen.
PS. I'm the first one who predicted +14m LTD sales for DS at the end of the year ;)

Jonnyram

22catpong.gif

:lol Fantastic avatar, LOcKY.

Top Bottom