• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 13 - 19 Nov

KINGMOKU

No way. Are you telling me that the PS3 is NOT selling out in Japan as soon as it hits the shelves?

That has to be an error. I mean, if thats the case, WTF.

It would be a MEGATON of epic perportions, and everyone would be talking about it.

Someone got something screwed up.

cvxfreak

For a while I've expected the Wii to convincingly beat the PS3 in Japan. Maybe a lack of sell out is a sign of the things to come.

Mii

Banned
cank stoochie said:
so the second shipments didnt sell out in japan?

Gahiggidy
N-N-N-N-NINTENDO!
Suckin' Dicks in '06
(Today, 06:30 PM)

Anyone have Nintendo's planned launch week numbers for Wii in Japan? Any chance there will be at least one week in the 2nd half of '06 with a system other than DSL at the top of Hardware?

cvxfreak

Mii said:
Anyone have Nintendo's planned launch week numbers for Wii in Japan? Any chance there will be at least one week in the 2nd half of '06 with a system other than DSL at the top of Hardware?

400,000. And judging by the pre-order madness (see game-science) they'll all sell out. The DS meanwhile is slated to get 1.5 Million DSL systems in December -- I think that would be the same amount they had last year, but someone should doublecheck.

RaijinFY

cvxfreak said:
For a while I've expected the Wii to convincingly beat the PS3 in Japan. Maybe a lack of sell out is a sign of the things to come.

and the really crappy launch line-up isnt really helping here... Gundam, Genji... I dont even remember the other games and that's all. No significant games until March...

KINGMOKU

cvxfreak said:
Well, if anyone would know it's you cvx. So it's true then?

The PS****ing3, didnt sell all the units shipped the last week?

That is a MASSIVE MEGATON if correct.(Not doubtling you cvx, just absolutly AMAZED)

That would mean that its either;

1.)Prince to high
2.)Launch games blow chunks
3.)Wii right around the corner, and Japan is losing its mind over it

Might also be a combination of the three.

WOW.

Busaiku

RaijinFY said:
and the really crappy launch line-up isnt really helping here... Gundam, Genji... I dont even remember the other games and that's all. No significant games until March...
Doesn't Motorstorm hit on the 7th?

cvxfreak

RaijinFY said:

While the Wii's December period has more popular games than the DS did in 2004. Wario, Zelda, Pokemon, Gundam, Tamagotchi and Bleach should all sell pretty well, probably all higher than RR7 and Gundam PS3 have done so far.

moku said:
Well, if anyone would know it's you cvx. So it's true then?

I remember Sho Nuff saying he was in a shop and some announcer mentioned they had PS3s. And then I saw Jonnyram's name mentioned earlier, so I assume the reports are true. But don't take my word for it. I'm talking theoretically here. :)

Busaiku said:

Don't think many Japanese would buy a PS3 for that.

RaijinFY

Busaiku said:

Yeah but do you really japanese gamers will care about Motorstorm? I mean...

Anyway, their launch line-up is barely any better than MS' one last year (in Japan of course), so I would expect PS3 sales to be quite poor until March.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
cvxfreak said:
While the Wii's December period has more popular games than the DS did in 2004. Wario, Zelda, Pokemon, Gundam, Tamagotchi and Bleach should all sell pretty well, probably all higher than RR7 and Gundam PS3 have done so far.

I remember Sho Nuff saying he was in a shop and some announcer mentioned they had PS3s. And then I saw Jonnyram's name mentioned earlier, so I assume the reports are true. But don't take my word for it. I'm talking theoretically here. :)

There's a Wii Tamagotchi game? Hmm I guess that's why Bandai launched Corner Store 2 so early in the year.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
When's the Wii launching in Japan again?

Anywho, this may be the first time Nintendo has had the lead in a next-gen race in Japan since 1994. Whether that lead will last remains to be seen. This could very well just be production problems on Sony's part, though I hope it's not; Sony needs to learn some humility.

Dahbomb

I think people are freaking out over the PS3 2nd shipment. Nothing alarming about it, about 40-50K were shipped and they sold most of it. 1 week worth of that much shipment as how much Sony was expected to ship and they all pretty much sold out. That is how you sell on paper to be considered a "sell out". Unless Sony shipped out 100K ADDITIONAL units (making total shipped units 200K units) then that would be "bad". I REALLY don't think Sony shipped anything over 50K on the 2nd shipment (compared to the ~100K shipment for launch).

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
The DS meanwhile is slated to get 1.5 Million DSL systems in December -- I think that would be the same amount they had last year, but someone should doublecheck.

By NPD reckoning (i.e. 5 weeks),

Dec-05 1,872,865

YTD / LTD

DS: 6,688,151 / 12,335,100
PSP: 1,509,286 / 4,192,248

DS Lead: 5,178,865 / 8,142,852

DS '06 vs. DS '05: +4,541,672
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -93,942

For kicks,
GBA '06 vs. GBA '05: -621,507

PS3: 123,738 / 123,738
360: 96,442 / 167,009

AniHawk

Maxrpg said:
No doubt. If PS3 can't sell out in its second week then we have a BIG RED FLAG on our hands.

It did though. It's just that Sony didn't ship a whole lot. Part of me is wondering if they're stocking up whatever little extra they have for Wii launch or something.

cvxfreak

So I guess January is the DS's time to surpass the GBA.

With luck the Wii might be able to surpass GC by the end of 2007 or middle of 2008.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Maxrpg said:
No doubt. If PS3 can't sell out in its second week then we have a BIG RED FLAG on our hands.
I don't believe for a second it didn't sell out. I thought there were rumours about sony only getting out ~30k for week 2 so this just confirms that.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Amazing how many people take what Gahiggidy says as fact. Haven't any of you learned by now?

KINGMOKU

Roders5 said:
I don't believe for a second it didn't sell out. I thought there were rumours about sony only getting out ~30k for week 2 so this just confirms that.
Okay lets say it did sell out. Where the hell are all the PS3's? They only shipped 45,000 consoles in a week?

Thats ****ing horrible.

Unless they are sending a huge majority of what they produce to the States, wtf is the hold-up?

cvxfreak said:
I think they did in anticipation for Love and Berry, which is apparently destined to sell over 1 Million (first Sega game to do so since VF2 or Hokuto no Ken Pachislot if you count their merger with Sammy).

Mushiking.

As for PS3 selling out or not, we'll never know. If they sell 20k next week, we wont know if its because of lack of supply, or lack of demand.

However, if sales next week go up to 90k, we know the system is sold as stocked. Since Sony wont ship such a large number, we simply wont know

Anyone care to bet on PSP numbers next week? Any PSP software coming out soon?

I say 16,121

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
moku said:
Okay lets say it did sell out. Where the hell are all the PS3's? They only shipped 45,000 consoles in a week?

Thats ****ing horrible.

Unless they are sending a huge majority of what they produce to the States, wtf is the hold-up?
God damn plastic shortage, i just know it

donny2112

I think it's likely that the PS3 will pass the 360 LTD next week. However if the PS3 and 360 are about the same as this week, Kurosaki Ichigo's post about PS3 never leading in Japan this year
and maybe this generation
might just turn out to be true. :O

Top Bottom