• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 20 - 26 March

Mama Smurf said:
Much as I loved the first Viewtiful Joe, I have not a clue why they keep making them. Such a shame Okami faces almost inevitable bombage too.
I still can't help but feel it would sell so much more for the GameCube. Strange decision by Clover/Capcom...

Fuzzy said:
I would've been laughing also if it came from any other poster. :D

id have to say it is funny particularly because of the person who posted it. or rather... even funnier.

EDIT: oh and countdown begins... TWO WEEKS UNTIL EASTER!

cvxfreak

jamesinclair said:
I was just wondering:

DS 39,307
PSP 31,077

What were the same sales at this week last year?

Nintendo DS 55,825
PSP 43,043

Kirby and the black and white DS systems had come out, though.

cvxfreak said:
Nintendo DS 55,825
PSP 43,043

Kirby and the black and white DS systems had come out, though.

So basically, if we look around the release week, sales have been consistant for both platforms?

Pretty amazing, considering that the DS Lite is selling on top of that.

Deku said:
Can you pull the data of percentage change in market share relative to each other on a week to week basis?
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you asked for, but here's a chart that shows the change in lifetime-to-date percentage share from week to week... or maybe you're wanting the chart of lifetime-to-date shares on a week to wake basis, which is a lot easier to look at and gain something. Or maybe something slightly different. Oh well, doing two or three is nearly as easy as doing one.

Displayed as change for DS; PSP would just be the negative version of this. To make the chart more readable I didn't include the PSP's very first week; the drop from 100% to 80.7% is so much bigger than any other week it would be hard to display.
20060401dspspsharechange.png

And here the source of those changes, the weekly LTD shares. Launching first DS starts at 100%, quickly drops to 80%, and steadily goes down to 63-64%. Easter hits, and it fluctuates around there for months. When the holidays hit it goes up to 67-68%, faltering a bit during the shortage weeks.
20060401dspspshareltd.png

Latest version of my spreadsheet here. Don't take it as complete gospel, though; I still haven't bothered to track down the 10 unit discrepancy I have in yearly Game Boy Advance totals. :)

Rocked

Monorojo said:
PSP still selling over 100k+ a month in Japan, it seems as if people dont understand that PSP doesnt have to beat DS to be deemed as a succes in Japan.

I find it funny how the Sony fans are now using the Nintendo fans old excuses. :lol Who would've thought. I remember many Nintendo fans saying exactly this about the GameCube.

lancubap

JoshuaJSlone said:
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you asked for, but here's a chart that shows the change in lifetime-to-date percentage share from week to week... or maybe you're wanting the chart of lifetime-to-date shares on a week to wake basis, which is a lot easier to look at and gain something. Or maybe something slightly different. Oh well, doing two or three is nearly as easy as doing one.

Displayed as change for DS; PSP would just be the negative version of this. To make the chart more readable I didn't include the PSP's very first week; the drop from 100% to 80.7% is so much bigger than any other week it would be hard to display.
20060401dspspsharechange.png

And here the source of those changes, the weekly LTD shares. Launching first DS starts at 100%, quickly drops to 80%, and steadily goes down to 63-64%. Easter hits, and it fluctuates around there for months. When the holidays hit it goes up to 67-68%, faltering a bit during the shortage weeks.
20060401dspspshareltd.png

Latest version of my spreadsheet here. Don't take it as complete gospel, though; I still haven't bothered to track down the 10 unit discrepancy I have in yearly Game Boy Advance totals. :)

Very very interesting. So the Nintendo DS has almost the 70% of market share in Japan. Uhm: and with the GameBoy Line ?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
neo2046 said:
NDS Seiken Densetsu CoM - 15.000 (148,000)
Are you sure that total sales is correct?

According to M-C:

27 Feb - 5 Mar
DS Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana Square Enix 102,555

6 - 12 March
DS Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana Square Enix 26,571

13 - 19 Mar
DS Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana Square Enix 17,574

So the total was 146,700 units and if you add 15k for last week, then the total goes over 161k.

neo2046

kia said:
Are you sure that total sales is correct?

According to M-C:

27 Feb - 5 Mar
DS Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana Square Enix 102,555

6 - 12 March
DS Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana Square Enix 26,571

13 - 19 Mar
DS Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana Square Enix 17,574

So the total was 146,700 units and if you add 15k for last week, then the total goes over 161k.
no idea
I have copied the data from 2ch
those guys from 2ch copied these numbers from an secret site
so it is possible that there are copying mistakes (some digit differences) from me or them
sorry I cannot find those posts in 2ch again
but I am sure the orginal source is reliable, specially related to the hardware sales numbers

cvxfreak

neo2046 said:
no idea
I have copied the data from 2ch
those guys from 2ch copied these numbers from an secret site
so it is possible that there are copying mistakes (some digit differences) from me or them
sorry I cannot find those posts in 2ch again
but I am sure the orginal source is reliable, specially related to the hardware sales numbers

It's not Famitsu's data that's for sure, and probably not Media Create's, so probably Dengeki.

lancubap said:
Very very interesting. So the Nintendo DS has almost the 70% of market share in Japan. Uhm: and with the GameBoy Line ?
Game Boy obviously predates DS and PSP by quite a bit. However, I do have an old bit on the spreadsheet I rarely pay attention to anymore, that estimates the number of a system sold since the PSP launched, by giving them an appropriate fraction of the week the PSP was released. Using that stat, the Nintendo portable share post-PSP is 70.6%. However, since that is post-PSP, it doesn't include the first 600K-ish DS sales. Toss those in, and it would be 72.2%.

cvxfreak said:
For what it's worth, AC is currently ahead of FFXII on Amazon's charts.

you should check now :D

1. old DS silver
2. English Trainer
3. Mother
4. Otona
5. Otona2
6. AC
7. WE10 (first non Nintendo product!!!)
15. FF12
21. old DS pink
24. old DS black
25. old DS blue

DS owns Japan

ioi

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
you should check now :D

1. old DS silver
2. English Trainer
3. Mother
4. Otona
5. Otona2
6. AC
7. WE10 (first non Nintendo product!!!)
15. FF12
21. old DS pink
24. old DS black
25. old DS blue

DS owns Japan

This remonds me, what are people expecting for Mother 3 sales?

I'm going out on a limb and with all the hype, being the last big GBA game, DS compatibility and everything else I reckon 400k first week, 650k total.

Any other thoughts?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ioi said:
This remonds me, what are people expecting for Mother 3 sales?

I'm going out on a limb and with all the hype, being the last big GBA game, DS compatibility and everything else I reckon 400k first week, 650k total.

Any other thoughts?

Do you really think it'll be that much? Didn't the previous games only get up to 200k?

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you asked for, but here's a chart that shows the change in lifetime-to-date percentage share from week to week... or maybe you're wanting the chart of lifetime-to-date shares on a week to wake basis, which is a lot easier to look at and gain something. Or maybe something slightly different. Oh well, doing two or three is nearly as easy as doing one. /snip

Holy, you're good. I am actually looking (interested) at a 3rd stat. That's basically week market shares.

ie: PSP sold 30k for the week vs. DS 70k so DS=70% PSP 30% share. I think that data will best show trends in terms of which console is gaining momentum. Adding in LTD sales for overall historical market share dilutes this since we're only getting an average picture over a platform's lifetime.

Sorry if this is a lot of extra work, its just a point of interest and perhaps you can include it in all your future reports.

starship

Oblivion said:
Do you really think it'll be that much? Didn't the previous games only get up to 200k?
Previous games are remakes, this is a new game.
And I think this game will do 800k - 1m at least.

Cheebs

cvxfreak said:
IIt's supposed to be a voluntary leave either way. I really don't want Bebpo to leave either, but it's up to him to do as he wishes.
Bebpo rocks, best RPG guy around but he did promise he'd leave. I have the post saved and if he doesn't leave I expect the mass Nintendo fanboy base will be making it VERY apparent on GAF that he lied about his bet. ;)

jarrod

Banned
mutsu said:
Here's hoping Goku Makai Mura will sell.
It won't... we'll still get the PS3 game though before the brand's laid to rest (again).

Unison said:
US & European software sales are enough to carry Xbox. Maybe they will be enough to carry PSP too. . .
Sure, but I doubt a handheld Xbox is what SCEI really wanted out of PSP. A decline in JP software sales will eventually lead to a loss in JP support, which seems to be key in cementing every PlayStation's unparalleled in diversity/variety software library. Without Japan, Sony will never be the handheld leader, simple as that.

Deku said:
Holy, you're good. I am actually looking (interested) at a 3rd stat. That's basically week market shares.

ie: PSP sold 30k for the week vs. DS 70k so DS=70% PSP 30% share. I think that data will best show trends in terms of which console is gaining momentum. Adding in LTD sales for overall historical market share dilutes this since we're only getting an average picture over a platform's lifetime.

Sorry if this is a lot of extra work, its just a point of interest and perhaps you can include it in all your future reports.
Heh, no problem, that was my next guess. :)
20060401dspspweeklyshare.png

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
CoolTrick said:
Sounds like (1st day sales)

Xenosaga I + II : 50,000-60,000

Better than expected Contact sales :) I'm pleasantly surprised.

Meier

CoolTrick said:

Are those first day or his prediction of first weekend based off of first day? Jonnyram expected only 20k lifetime for Contact, so that'd be a great number either way.

Mrbob

Cheebs said:
Bebpo rocks, best RPG guy around but he did promise he'd leave. I have the post saved and if he doesn't leave I expect the mass Nintendo fanboy base will be making it VERY apparent on GAF that he lied about his bet. ;)

I hope they do. Then they may all get banned for back seat modding. I see what Bebpo has done here, and it was a great idea. ;)

ethelred

CoolTrick said:

That's pretty great for both games, then. Contact, it looks, will exceed almost everyone's sales expectations, and with 50-60k first day sales, Xenosaga I&II should easily go past 100k total.

Deku

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Is Contact being advertised or hyped in Japan? It looks like the kind of game that would be successful in Japan to me.

From what im hearing from friends no. You guys have to understand, not ever hard core fap worthy game are meant to be targeted for a large audience.

Lots of decent and good games are released under the radar. They are never expected to do huge numbers, just keep dev teams employed and or because you have independent dev houses with limited funding trying to get their games out.

Think of games like contact as good Indy movies.

Deku said:
OK final request. throw in major game releases/hardware launches and what you have there is gold :D
Other people are better at making these sorts of charts with all the extra details that get added to each week, whereas I tend to highlight whatever, make a chart of vaguely good width, and crop. However, for this time I have put on some text for the biggest peaks and valleys.
20060401dspspweeklyshareplus.png

Deku said:
Think of games like contact as good Indy movies.
The Temple of Sales Doom?

20,000 for contact is repectable for a new ip, most established brands on psp and ds have a hard time moving units, with an exception here and there of course.

Oblivion

kia said:
Previous games are remakes, this is a new game.
And I think this game will do 800k - 1m at least.

So how much did the original games sell?

Oblivion

ethelred said:
Mother 1+2 for the GBA has sold ~320K.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot about the Value Selection rerelease. ~340k.

I'm talking about the ones released for the SNES or whatever system they were first released on.

Yamauchi

Banned
Contact selling 20k, if true, would be very good. Flower, Sun, and Rain on the PS2 did around 25k lifetime if I recall. I don't know what K7 did in Japan (anyone know?).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Yamauchi said:
Contact selling 20k, if true, would be very good. Flower, Sun, and Rain on the PS2 did around 25k lifetime if I recall. I don't know what K7 did in Japan (anyone know?).
I think K7 did about 11k on the PS2 and 5k on the cube in its first week.

CoolTrick said:

If true (could also be the predictions till Sunday based on the first day sales) these would be really good imho (atleast for Contact 20k for the first week would also be really good imo). Hell, Xenosaga could come really close to Namcos 'expectations'.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Those DS numbers do look good - while everyone i ssaying 20K for Contact is good, I still wanted more :)

But yea, thats a real good start. Hopefully word of it being online and its Earthbound-esque look will keep its legs going for awhile.

Oh, P.S. - Whats that new downward looking arrow do nexts to posts titles on the thread page?

starship

John Harker said:
Those DS numbers do look good - while everyone i ssaying 20K for Contact is good, I still wanted more :)

But yea, thats a real good start. Hopefully word of it being online and its Earthbound-esque look will keep its legs going for awhile.

Oh, P.S. - Whats that new downward looking arrow do nexts to posts titles on the thread page?
If you click on them, you will go to first new post on that thread.

Anyway, I think Xenosaga and Contact sales are really good if they're first day sales (even if they're estimates for first week).
I think of 80k - 100k sales for Xenosaga (first week)
30k - 40k sales for Contact (first week)

Top Bottom