• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 20 - 26 March

AniHawk said:
So basically, the DS just outsold the PSP by five times the amount this week.

Huh.

Should be some interesting spin. Who's up for the challenge?

just you wait till granturismo/devilmaycry/crisiscore!

polg

ahmad said:
DSL 119,986
DS 39,307
PS2 34,169
PSP 31,077
GBASP 5,627
GBM 4,883
GC 1,458
Xbox360 1,415 :lol
Xbox 117
GBA 98

It is a close battle between GC and Xbox 360!!!!! Xbox360 was only outsold by only 43 units :eek:!!! GO Xbox 360 you can do it!!!!

Did the DS reach the 1 million units for this year??

http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

so Nintendo will proably make it to the 450K ds mark for march after all :D

YourMaster said:
This is one game, let's see how the next couple of AC games preform.
I can't believe people can stand playing this game, let alone buy it. But I suppose this is a good game, just not my taste. But nintendo is perfectly capable of screwing up the next edition.

Havn't Animal Crossing games sold very well all along? Not this freakish level of success, but it is still sold well if I remember correctly. I know in the US it sold over 1,000,000 units.

Sure, Nintendo can mess it up, but the way Nintendo has been making games for the last 6-12 months, I doubt it. They will probably improve on every aspect of the game.

Rock_Man

Top 50. New titles bolded.
Code:
PS2 Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix)
[B]NDS Pokemon Rangers (Nintendo)
PS2 Ace Combat Zero: The Belkin War (Namco)[/B]
NDS Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
NDS Brain Training 2 (Nintendo)
[B]PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Empires (Koei)[/B]
NDS English Training (Nintendo)
NDS Brain Training (Nintendo)
[B]PS2 Harukanaru Jikuu no Uchi de 3 (Koei)[/B]
NDS Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
[B]GBA Crayon Shin-Chan Densetsu o Yobu Omake no To Shukkugaan! (Banpresto)
PS2 Shakugan no Shana (Media Works)
GBA Mahou Sensei Negima! Private Lesson 2 (Marvelous)
PS2 Memories Off: Sorekara Again (Kid)
PS2 Mahou Sensei Negima! Kagai Jugyou (Konami)[/B]
PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 (Koei)
NDS Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana (Square Enix)
[B]GBA Yggdra Union (Sting)
PSP Shin Sangoku Musou: 2nd Evolution (Koei)[/B]
PSP Monster Hunter Portable (Capcom)
NDS Gentle Brain Exercises (Nintendo)
NDS Tamagotchi (Bandai)
NDS Darademo Asobi Taizen (Nintendo)
PS2 Monster Hunter 2 (Capcom)
PS2 Kidou Senshi Gundam: Climax U.C. (Bandai)
NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 2x2 (Nintendo)
[B]NDS Style Book: Junior City (Bandai)[/B]
PSP Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (Square Enix)
PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Bonus Pack (Konami)
[B]NDS Puzzle Series Vol. 3: Sudoku (Hudson)
PS2 Wizardry X 2: Mugen no Gakuto (Michael Soft)[/B]
NDS Unou no Tatsujin: Soukai! Machigai Museum (Namco)
[B]GBA Power Poke Dash (Konami)[/B]
NDS Eyeshield 21: Max Devil Power (Nintendo)
NDS Chou-Gekijou-Ban Keroro Gunsou: Enshuu Dayo! Zenin Shuugou (Bandai)
GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers (Nintendo)
[B]PS2 Rakushou! Pachi-Slot Sengen 4 (Tecmo)
PS2 Jan Sangoku Musou (Koei)[/B]
GCN Super Mario Strikers (Nintendo)
PSP Initial D: Streets Rage (Sega)
PSP Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Ossu! Banchou Portable (Daito Giken)
NDS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)
GBA Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Aka no Kyuujotai (Pokemon)
NDS Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Ao no Kyuujotai (Pokemon)
NDS Doraemon: Nobita no Kyouryuu 2006 DS (Sega)
PS2 GuitarFreaks V & DrumMania V (Konami)
NDS Bleach DS: Souten ni Kakeru Unmei (Sega)
[B]NDS Style Book: Cinnamoroll (Bandai)
GBA Marie, Elie, and Anise no Atelier (Banpresto Best) [/B]
PSP Brain Trainer Portable (Sega)

ahmad said:
DSL 119,986
DS 39,307
PS2 34,169
PSP 31,077
GBASP 5,627
GBM 4,883
GC 1,458
Xbox360 1,415 :lol
Xbox 117
GBA 98

It is a close battle between GC and Xbox 360!!!!! Xbox360 was only outsold by only 43 units :eek:!!! GO Xbox 360 you can do it!!!!

Did the DS reach the 1 million units for this year??

http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

The DS owns Japan.

PS2>PSP? I don't remember the last time that happened.

Xbox 360: Solid, if not spectacular

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Weird, I could've sworn the HW numbers were this:
Hardware:
DSL: 104,452 (262,680)
PS2: 66,670 (380,301)
NDS: 32,105 (552,645)
PSP: 31,848 (484,473)
GBASP: 4,290 (76,872)
GBM: 3,087 (48,024)
GCN: 1,318 (38,395)
360: 1,039 (28,749)
GBA: 131 (1,991)
XBX: 108 (1,096)
Last week, making them this:
Hardware:
DSL: 119,986 (382,666)
NDS: 39,307 (591,952)
PS2: 34,169 (414,608)
PSP: 31,077 (515,550)
GBASP: 5,627 (82,499)
GBM: 4,883 (52,907)
GCN: 1,458 (39,853)
360: 1,415 (30,164)
XBX: 108 (1,204)
GBA: 98 (2,089)
This week.

Error2k4 said:
I know patience isn't a skill is a virtue... but thinking a skill? enlighten me please.
Merriam-Webster said:
2 a : the ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance b : dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks
3 : a learned power of doing something competently : a developed aptitude or ability <language skills>

PhoenixDark said:
PS2>PSP? I don't remember the last time that happened.
Before FF XII... *checks* .... it did for 24 consecutives weeks from the week of March 28, 2005 through the week of September 5, 2005. Or to put it another way, from about Easter until white PSP + Winning Eleven PSP.

clearacell said:
Any predictions on when the DS sales are going to go under 100k?

Lets see. Contact and Xenosaga should be good enough to keep it above 100k next week. Then the week after that has nothing. So I think that it goes back under 100k that week, but probably pops back up above for a while when Starfi 4, Tetris, and more Training games come out. Then goes back up to super high levels during the launch for New Super Mario Bros.

Monorojo

Banned
PSP still selling over 100k+ a month in Japan, it seems as if people dont understand that PSP doesnt have to beat DS to be deemed as a succes in Japan.

It is their first handheld, im shocked its doing this well to begin with. All they wanted to do is build a solid fanbase, and they have clearly done that, even in their weakest terriitory that is Japan.

Thie time 2 years ago it was Nintendo 99-100% of the handheld market in Japan, now its Nintendo 68%- Sony 32%.

If thats not good news for Sony, i dont know what is.

Jonnyram

Monorojo said:
PSP still selling over 100k+ a month in Japan, it seems as if people dont understand that PSP doesnt have to beat DS to be deemed as a succes in Japan.

It is their first handheld, im shocked its doing this well to begin with. All they wanted to do is build a solid fanbase, and they have clearly done that, even in their weakest terriitory that is Japan.

Thie time 2 years ago it was Nintendo 99-100% of the handheld market in Japan, now its Nintendo 68%- Sony 32%.

Excellent post.
I love you.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Monorojo said:

*golf clap*

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Monorojo said:
PSP still selling over 100k+ a month...

I know it looks like the DS is killing the PSP if you compare weekly sales, but if you compare PSP monthly sales with DS's weekly sales, it doesn't seem that impressive, does it? Only a matter of time before Nintendo throws in the towel. :)

mj1108

Monorojo said:

I give this spin: 5/10 - Average.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Monorojo said:

rolleyes.gif

That was completely transparent.

Monorojo

Banned
Oblivion said:
I know it looks like the DS is killing the PSP if you compare weekly sales, but if you compare PSP monthly sales with DS's weekly sales, it doesn't seem that impressive, does it? Only a matter of time before Nintendo throws in the towel. :)

Very true comment even if you are just patranizing me.

This week DS outsold PSP 6:1 practically, see 2006 yearly sales and tha ratio is 2:1. See since launch for both systems and the ratio is a bit more than 2:1.

You have to give PSP credit for not completely dropping off the cliff when the DS Lite was announced, be it the fact that the DSLite had shortages or the fact that PSP has been getting a flood of games (of course, the former is more likely), its sales are still up around what they were before DS Lite, actually up a bit.

PSP isnt going away anytime soon, no matter how badly DS "dominates" it in Japan.

7Th

Stopsign said:
Lets see. Contact and Xenosaga should be good enough to keep it above 100k next week. Then the week after that has nothing. So I think that it goes back under 100k that week, but probably pops back up above for a while when Starfi 4, Tetris, and more Training games come out. Then goes back up to super high levels during the launch for New Super Mario Bros.

Huh? What's keeping the DS sold rate high aren't games. Contact and Xenosaga won't do nothing for it. Pokémon Ranger will maintain an steady sell rate but both Animal Crossing's and Brain Trainings' legs are the real monsters here.

medrew

PSP is a video game machine, why? Playstation Portable.
DS is nothing but a fancy doohicky. Notice they dropped any reference to Game for it in the name? (Despite their last consoles being the GameBoy Advance and GameCube.)
Sony is the real winner in the handheld games markets.

You cannot argue with the facts. Although -- in comparason -- Nintendo is killing their competition (the psuedo PDA market).

medrew said:
DS is nothing but a fancy doohicky. Notice they dropped any reference to Game for it in the name? (Despite their last consoles being the GameBoy Advance and GameCube.)

You cannot argue with the facts. Although -- in comparason -- Nintendo is killing their competition (the psuedo PDA market).

Youre joking right? Doohicky? Who says that?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
medrew said:

Monorojo found a best friend. :)

Deku

Banned
Netrunner2k2 said:
Havn't Animal Crossing games sold very well all along? Not this freakish level of success, but it is still sold well if I remember correctly. I know in the US it sold over 1,000,000 units.

Sure, Nintendo can mess it up, but the way Nintendo has been making games for the last 6-12 months, I doubt it. They will probably improve on every aspect of the game.

Animal Crossing made its debut on the N64 and sold decently. It was then ported to the GameCube with added features and new items and sold better. This was when it was first introduced to the American market.

Animal Crossing DS is the frist truly new AC since the original on the N64 and it sold even better.

medrew

Of course I was joking, what I said was purely absurd. But I felt that someone from the PSP damage control centre would say it sooner or later.

I didn't think it was laugh out funny, though. Hence no smiley. edit: And that a smiley would detract from the post. I wanted it to be read seriously, but with a 'fuck off. there's not way he is serious' vibe.

Monorojo said:
Very true comment even if you are just patranizing me.

This week DS outsold PSP 6:1 practically, see 2006 yearly sales and tha ratio is 2:1. See since launch for both systems and the ratio is a bit more than 2:1.

You have to give PSP credit for not completely dropping off the cliff when the DS Lite was announced, be it the fact that the DSLite had shortages or the fact that PSP has been getting a flood of games (of course, the former is more likely), its sales are still up around what they were before DS Lite, actually up a bit.

PSP isnt going away anytime soon, no matter how badly DS "dominates" it in Japan.

Yup that Monster Kingdom sure did become a killer app for PSP like many people expected. Oh wait...

Seriously though, nearly everyone of the big PSP games that came out all flopped sales wise. So I don't think it was the flood of good games that caused it to sell so well during the DS Lite shortages. It was most likely the DS Lite shortages causing the sales spike.

Actually, it's held true for a while that when the handhelds [PSP/DS] receive a spike in sales, it raises the competing level as well.

Probably could derive an equation out of that. PSP sales spikes are directly proportional to the constant k times the sales spike of the DS.

If the DS sales spike is denoted as = x and PSP's as F then

F = kx

lol.

Anyways, absolutely astounding sales for DS, Nintendo really has hit a gold mine with it. ALso very good sales for PSP. Less than 3 months and it's sold over half a million units. That's pretty good.

koam

AniHawk said:
So basically, the DS just outsold the PSP by five times the amount this week.

Huh.

Should be some interesting spin. Who's up for the challenge?

Not hard at all, the sales dropped because people are spending their money on PS2s and FF. Meanwhile, the DS sales are still dropping.

(see how i completely ignored the ds lite) :)

Monorojo said:

At this rate, I bet they hope Sony KEEPS gaining in percentage.

Portable hardware units sold

Nintendo: 3,528,000
Bandai: 35,000

Nintendo: 4,344,036
Sony: 482,252
Bandai: 7,540

Nintendo: 5,287,886
Sony: 2,200,610

Monorojo said:

It's only good news and a success if it paid off their investment. I always say that it's not as if there can only be one successful handheld (and in the US, there are at least 2), but what if the amount of money Sony invested in the PSP can only turn a profit if they secure 50% of the Japanese handheld market? (Obviously, I'm not saying that's the case.) Then, 30% is pretty bad news. There are other numbers at play here.

Here's what happens if PSP software doesn't improve:

PSP software drops

PSP hardware drops

PSP media drops

Third parties support it less

PSP software drops

PSP hardware drops

PSP media drops

Third parties support it less

And on and on until it's an Xbox situation.

Top Bottom