• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 29 May - 4 June

Hyllian

JoshuaJSlone said:
pie3.php
Apply some 4xAA, please. :)

Jonnyram

mutsu said:
You expect Bomberman fans to buy Bomberman Act Zero???? :lol :lol :lol
I am going to buy it for sure. It was delayed to 3rd August, so I'm not surprised it's not on the charts yet :)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
JoshuaJSlone said:

Not sure if it's possible with what you're using, but that chart would be infitely easier if you ditched the legend on the right and put the platform name before or after the number. And also if possible put the numbers/platform with bigger pieces, inside the graph. I only say this cause it's a pain to have to check the legend to find everything. There are so many different items, and the point of pie graphs is quick reference. If it's not possible, sorry.

Grimmy

Banned
mj1108 said:
Hear that sound?

That's the "3rd parties do so much better on PSP" argument being shot down.

The list is BS. There's Metal Gear Acid 2 but MGA1 is nowhere on the list? Recount!

Hyllian said:
Apply some 4xAA, please. :)
I was actually already thinking along those lines. :) Not only a nicer looking graph, but could more accurately display smaller differences.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Not sure if it's possible with what you're using, but that chart would be infitely easier if you ditched the legend on the right and put the platform name before or after the number. And also if possible put the numbers/platform with bigger pieces, inside the graph. I only say this cause it's a pain to have to check the legend to find everything. There are so many different items, and the point of pie graphs is quick reference. If it's not possible, sorry.
Good suggestions. Taking a quick browse through the documentation I think most of that should be possible. Trying out the example code right now I'm getting some errors, but I'm sure I can iron things out.

(experiments more before posting)
Something like this is getting closer. It would be better if I could automatically get the ones inside the graph to use a line break and the ones outside not, though. And it seems weird that the PS2 text has gone inside while the larger PSP one didn't. *shrug*
pie3a.php

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm just beginning to experiment with keeping data in SQL and making graphs with PHP, so hopefully in the future I'll have some more interesting things that can be displayed on demand. I think the first thing I'd like to try to do is make a pie chart of weekly data that adjusts in size with the total, so a pixel one week has a value equivalent to a pixel in the next. For now I've just "pre-baked" a few pies to familiarize myself with JpGraph, which I've only been using a couple hours.

Here's a graph using the unconfirmed hardware numbers that popped up with the software numbers in the last thread. I tossed small GBA and Xbox numbers in there for now.

pie3.php

And here are links to the smallest and biggest weeks of the past year.

can you please turn the chart so that the DS looks like pacman eating the competition? :(

lancubap

Jonnyram said:
If the hardware numbers are right, the drop for NSMB is to be expected. Limited hardware supplies would lead to lower software sales.

That's a possible explication. I agree with you.

Fuzzy said:
That still leaves 7 million DS owners who didn't give a shit. :p

But seriously, wasn't the shipment figure for NSMB 1.3 million so far?

Hadrware shortages + Software limitation = Poor Software's sales in general for the support. In fact Brain Training Series and Animal Crossing are down.

ioi

Banned
About the data on Everything and Nothing, it is not complete, so looking at total sales on blah vs total sales on blah 2 isn't going to be totally accurate, but is a guide only!

And the Pacman chart is here to stay! I might try experimenting with that myself on E&N, is it easy enough to implement Joshua?

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
neo2046 said:
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html

01 NDS New Super Mario Bros - 334208 / 1233726
02 NDS Brain Age 2 - 56470 / 2423898
03 NDS Brain Age - 40211 / 2322970
04 NDS Metroid Prime hunters - 32467 / 32467
05 PS2 Winning Eleven 10 - 31600 / 726527
06 NDS Tetris DS - 29209 / 574875
07 NDS Animal Crossing - 28552 / 2774649
08 NDS English Training - 25997 / 1118493
09 PS2 Powerful Major League - 20852/ 176408
10 PSP DQ & FF in Itadaki Street Portable - 15640 / 63982

wow. The chart is packed with DS million+ sellers...and I guess that's all the shipped copies of NSMB sold...shortages await.

ioi

Banned
lancubap said:
And New Super Mario Bros. will pass both.

I think it may struggle actually.

I'm still thinking something like:

Brain Training 2- 4.4m
Brain Training- 4.1m
Animal Crossing- 3.8m
New Super Mario Bros- 3.6m

John Harker said:
People are saying MPH sales are bad?

:lol is 33k more than Prime 1 and 2 sold combined? haha

My Japanese collegues were complaining MPH is sold out and can't be found - I believe they underestimated demand...

winston_pr said:
My Japanese collegues were complaining MPH is sold out and can't be found - I believe they underestimated demand...

At this rate Nintendo might as well release any game it can cook as all software seems to be flying off shelves.

TheKingsCrown said:
At this rate Nintendo might as well release any game it can cook as all software seems to be flying off shelves.

Proof my collegues are correct: It's on backorder on Amazon

MPH@Amazon.co.jp: " 発送可能時期: 通常1~2週間以内に発送します。 "

I know I am not the first to say that, but the weekly japanese sales chart is seriously getting more and more boring each week. It's good to see the DS getting the love it deserves, but always the sames damn games :( . Come on, next generation consoles! (lawl Xbox 360) [/complaint]

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Stormbringer said:
I know I am not the first to say that, but the weekly japanese sales chart is seriously getting more and more boring each week. It's good to see the DS getting the love it deserves, but always the sames damn games :( . Come on, next generation consoles! (lawl Xbox 360) [/complaint]
It will get much more interesting in the last quarter of the year.

Terrell

Razoric said:
I predict many bannings and suicides. :eek: This Christmas is going to be awesome.
SUICIDES?! Hardly. I doubt highly that Sony fans will willingly attack their own weak points for massive damage... KIDDING, KIDDING!! Don't stone me! :lol

But yeah, as boring as the charts are now, things will definitely hit their all-time peak during the system launches. I'm predicting the first 500-page thread. :D

ioi said:
And the Pacman chart is here to stay! I might try experimenting with that myself on E&N, is it easy enough to implement Joshua?
The pie chart seems easy enough. I've actually not yet taken data from a database to it yet, but it should be an easy step. As for Pac-Man himself... making a piece yellow should be simple, but I don't think finding the correct location for the eye automatically would be. :lol

EDIT:
I'm just going to slip this in as an edit so I don't keep bumping the thread with my minor progress reports. If you go to an URL of the format http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/test7.php?date1=2005-06-06 , you'll get the proper pie chart for that week. YYYY-MM-DD date format. Must put in a Monday or it will freak out. Everything from DS launch to last week's numbers currently available. Some of the text doesn't have much contrast with the background slice, but hey, work in progress. I definitely know I'll be able to make things so that each system has its own constant color, whereas now that depends on their order for the week. I'm not sure if I can do the same for text color, or even if that would be preferable since you can't tell from week to week whether it will be displayed in or out of the pie... I suppose there could be a way to make them all display outside of the pie.

Top Bottom