• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2015 (Mar 16 - Mar 22)

I think FF15 will sell less than FF13. In fact, I don't even think it will be close. Wouldn't be surprised if it sells less than half of what FF13 did
there's no way it's going to drop that badly
Hmm, let me say in advance that this is not a console war post, I don't care about that, just curious.
I don't follow the sale threads closely, anyone could explain to me how we passed from a Nintendo dominated sales chart to a Sony one ?

PS4 actually getting a solid release schedule+typically quiet Nintendo Q1=this

don't expect that to last very long though, this is Japan after all

Asd202

Why should SE worry about Persona unless both games are releasing close to each other?

Persona was the cult hit that got popular off its extremely good games (P3, P4 and Golden) and built a fanbase that kept waiting for a worthy sequel for more than 7 years. It is still not as mainstream as FF of course.

FF XV is coming off from the bad WOM of FF XIII. It has a lot to prove for it. Meanwhile people are much more confident that P5 will be a good game based on the franchise history.

FF is not as mainstream as it was though. Correct me if I'm wrong but back in late 90/early 2000 it was the biggest RPG franchise sales wise. Right now it's dwarft compared to Elder Scrolls.

I'm not claiming Persona 5 will sell more than FF XV, just because that'd be crazy talk. But the fact that Persona 5 seems to be competing with FFXV on internet hype alone should really tell you something about the state the FF franchise is in general. FFXV will continue the decline for the series.

If that really happens XV will be one of the last big budget FF we're going to get.

but it's a full priced demo.
c'mon. I love Zelda (isn't that obvious from my avatar?) but I don't know if I'd buy a 60 bucks demo. Yes, there is the remaster HD. Probably I'd buy a Zelda TP HD remaster with the Zelda U demo...I don't know, the fact is that I think that the hype in Japan for Type-0 HD is based all and only on the demo, so the sales are not that bad.

No, it's a full-price remaster of a quite popular game with the demo of, supposedly, one of the most anticipated games in Japan.

Youtube hits is a pretty good way.

The fact that they're comparable should be worrying for Square. Persona 5 might be a breakout hit, but even then it's sales would be dwarfed by FFXV. Or should I say they WOULD be dwarfed if FFXV really had as strong a brand as when FFX or, hell even, FFXIII released.

As it stands FFXV will obviously outsell Persona 5 on name alone, no one is saying it won't. But the fact that FFXV and Persona 5 are similar in their "internet/enthusiast" hype metrics should be worrying for those at Square.

Your metrics are silly.

LBP3 to outsell Halo 5. MS should be worried that their biggest franchise has similar youtube view counts as a title that opened <100k in NPD.

MilesTeg

Banned
I've always wondered who exactly these M&DK games are made for. I have absolutely zero interest. Not really sure why Nintendo keeps making them.

Millions of Casuals? The hype for the game isn't obviously bad, but it's not comparably in real life OR on the internet from my experience to FF13. Your anecdotal experiences =/= actual reality.
Your anecdotal experiences =/= actual reality, but my anecdotal experiences = real life!!!

It's a shame I won't remember this topic by the time the game comes out to bring in some nice laughs.

Jamix012

Your metrics are silly.

LBP3 to outsell Halo 5. MS should be worried that their biggest franchise has similar youtube view counts as a title that opened <100k in NPD.

I didn't start the argument of "internet hype" leading to sales, that was legendofdragoon pointing to how FF XV has more hype than FF13 which meant it was gonna set the world on fire. I said this wasn't true and pointed to Persona 5 garnering similar attention online to claim that FF XV isn't something incredibly special that will break out and revive the franchise.

Your anecdotal experiences =/= actual reality, but my anecdotal experiences = real life!!!

It's a shame I won't remember this topic by the time the game comes out to bring in some nice laughs.

There's a big difference though. My anecdotal experiences are supplemented by evidence :^) Like uh, the general decline in sales of the Final Fantasy games as they go along, the fact FFXV launching in a world were JRPGS are less popular than they've pretty much ever been (at least since the PS1), and the fact that there's no reason to think this game will sell better than its predecessor outside of "Hype levels through the roof." You're being ridiculous.

The most viewed FFXV trailer I find is at 3880K
The most viewed Persona 5 trailer I fin is at 561K

Maybe I'm missing something so feel free to correct me

Most viewed P5 trailer is at 2630k :)

His point is still funny.

I didn't start the argument of "internet hype" leading to sales, that was legendofdragoon pointing to how FF XV has more hype than FF13 which meant it was gonna set the world on fire. I said this wasn't true and pointed to Persona 5 garnering similar attention online to claim that FF XV isn't something incredibly special that will break out and revive the franchise.

SE cares about sales so why would they be worried again? FFXV has gotten plenty of attention online as well.

wmlk

Youtube hits is a pretty good way.

You do know there are many SE YT channels that uploaded the TGS trailer, right? And only one Atlus channel uploaded the reveal trailer?

Even then, FFXV's most viewed one is over a million over P5's and it will remain that way after the initial spike.

This isn't even taking into account the unofficial channels where FFXV dwarfs over P5.

I've always wondered who exactly these M&DK games are made for. I have absolutely zero interest. Not really sure why Nintendo keeps making them.

MvsDK always sold well. 150k+ on GBA, 300k+ on DS. But the last entries where digital only, which might have devalued the IP.

Ryan95

I don't find Type-0 HD numers that great: they're good numbers for an HD remaster, but in my opinion al least 150k can be defined as great. Who knows how much it would've sold if it came out on Vita and PS3 (This combo sold half a million FF X/X-2 HD copies, even if FFX duology is maybe more popular than FFT0 and caught more sales)

Darius

Banned
Hmm, let me say in advance that this is not a console war post, I don't care about that, just curious.
I don't follow the sale threads closely, anyone could explain to me how we passed from a Nintendo dominated sales chart to a Sony one ?

In the past few weeks 3rd parties launched some of their strongest IPs (Yakuza, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy just to name a few) on Sonys systems, while the 1st quarter is very often rather low-profile in general on Nintendo systems, since their focus lies in holiday sales and especially this year the release schedule looked rather barren, with Majoras Mask beeing the biggest release so far. Looking at the charts it´s mostly evergreen titles selling due to this situation, while 1st week sales that are often the biggest weekly sales affect chart positions.

No, it's a full-price remaster of a quite popular game with the demo of, supposedly, one of the most anticipated games in Japan.

It's a console remaster of a a portable spin-off that they can play on their PSPs and Vitas, of course most are going to opt out, even with the demo. Remember, this is Japan, handhelds>consoles.

I don't find Type-0 HD numers that great: they're good numbers for an HD remaster, but in my opinion al least 150k can be defined as great. Who knows how much it would've sold if it came out on Vita and PS3 (This combo sold half a million FF X/X-2 HD copies, even if FFX duology is maybe more popular than FFT0 and caught more sales)

FFX Hd was a game that had an LTD of 3 million and was 14 years old.
Type 0 was a game that had a 700k LTD and 4 years old on top of being a spin off FF. I don;t Type 0 performing significantly better on those other platforms as well. KH 1.5 HD sold 240k on PS3 and 2.5 HD is at 170k.

crinale

I dare to say FF Type-0 isn't really a "popular" game in Japan. I mean it sold well but really didn't age well IMHO.

It's a console remaster of a a portable game that they can play on their PSPs and Vitas, of course most are going to opt out, even with the demo. Remember, this is Japan, handhelds>consoles.

The fact that the game is popular might have also been a pro, instead of a con -> many people willing to play the game again on a bigger screen.

There's a big difference though. My anecdotal experiences are supplemented by evidence :^) Like uh, the general decline in sales of the Final Fantasy games as they go along, the fact FFXV launching in a world were JRPGS are less popular than they've pretty much ever been (at least since the PS1), and the fact that there's no reason to think this game will sell better than its predecessor outside of "Hype levels through the roof." You're being ridiculous.

XIII shipped more WW than XII or IX.

Z3M0G

08./00. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 3: Deluxe Package <RPG> (Sega) {2015.03.19} (¥5.378) - 26.289 / NEW

FUCK YOU JAPAN

Because fans like an old good Final Fantasy.

I'm curious to see Final Fantasy XV sales. I'm betting will be kinda disappointing.

Anyone else remember the tease that Square Enix did with one of the FFXIII sequels wherein they told the story for the previous title(s) in classic sprite based FF style?

I wish they would do something like that in a full fledged title. Should cost significantly less than a title like FFXV. I assume it would have a discount price, maybe like $40 (though I am sure SE will charge $60 for it). Would be interesting to see how a classic FF designed and delivered title would compare to the newer ones? Would also be interesting to see the regional performance of that title. I think there has been a trend wherein the newer FF titles seem to be performing better in the West. If we go with the bolded above, would we see the game selling better in Japan than the West which definitely seems to be way more visual focused at the expense of everything else (not always true, but look at FFXIII or more recently the Order 1886).

FF is not as mainstream as it was though. Correct me if I'm wrong but back in late 90/early 2000 it was the biggest RPG franchise sales wise. Right now it's dwarft compared to Elder Scrolls.
Has the Elder Scroll series sold more than 100 million copies across all its games? Because FF did. And that feat was achieved with the launch of FFXIII, I think.

I have no idea what type of sales are required to consider a game "mainstream" as FF still easily sells in million (WW).

I wonder if/when MS is going to pull out of Japan, the X1's number's in Japan are absolutely pathetic.

Right now it looks like it would be hard pressed to even reach a quarter of the sales of the OG Xbox in Japan.

I've got to imagine they're operating on a loss in Japan right now.

It's just down to how big a loss MS are willing to take to their bank balance before they take the big PR loss by pulling out.

ps4 keeping that momentum. whats coming after bloodborne?

Together with BLOODBORNE tomorrow:

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3

hOeuCNM.png

And Disgaea 5.
And Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance

2fibXbm.jpg

Yeah XIII really shipped a lot but I don't think it sold anywhere close to the shipped number.

Well I guess they have sold those games by now. It definitely overshipped a lot during launch phase and the game went quickly to bargain bin.

Edit. Edit. With PC version probably ahead of FFX too (6.5 vs 6.6 million without PC version).

Yeah XIII really shipped a lot but I don't think it sold anywhere close to the shipped number.

FF7 - 10 million+ sold
FF8 - 8.15 million shipped
FF9 - 5.3 million sold
FF10 - 6.6 million sold (not incl HD)
FF12 - 5.2 million shipped
FF13 - 6.6 million shipped (7 million with PC version most likely)

Jamix012

XIII shipped more WW than XII or IX.

Really? Interesting. I find it very surprising that XIII could have outsold X, though I guess there are benefits to being multiplatform... The fact it outsold XII doesn't surprise me too much though, as the general change to an action oriented combat system could have alienated people............

Really? Interesting. I find it very surprising that XIII could have outsold X, though I guess there are benefits to being multiplatform... The fact it outsold XII doesn't surprise me too much though, as the general change to an action oriented combat system could have alienated people............

Final Fantasy XII? Action?

Asd202

Has the Elder Scroll series sold more than 100 million copies across all its games? Because FF did. And that feat was achieved with the launch of FFXIII, I think.

I have no idea what type of sales are required to consider a game "mainstream" as FF still easily sells in million (WW).

The thing is after XIII the series has been in sales decline and I'm not saying FF is not mainstream but that's it's loosing foothold to other RPG franchises. I think we will see this at E3 when whatever Bethesda announces whether it will be Elders Scrolls or Fallout will overshadow what SE has in store for FF XV. Another thing is FF is not easliy selling in millions. FF XIII-2 failed to sale 2 millon and while I think FF XIV RR sold over 2 million the game was not being sold at a full price.

What are you trying to point here? XII was not an action game, it had an MMO type combat with focus and emphasis on setting up gambits that controlled the party. It is entirely different from FFXV which is going for visual spectacles and fully action based combat.

The thing is after XIII the series has been in sales decline and I'm not saying FF is not mainstream but that's it's loosing foothold to other RPG franchises. I think we will see this at E3 when whatever Bethesda announces whether it will be Elders Scrolls or Fallout will overshadow what SE has in store for FF XV. Another thing is FF is not easliy selling in millions. FF XIII-2 failed to sale 2 millon and while I thnik FF XIV RR sold over 2 million the game was not being sold at a full price.
FF XIV ARR is a sub-based MMO game which still hasn't gone F2P. It is still extremely popular and there is a lot of hype around the upcoming Heavensward expansion.

Compare that to Elder Scrolls MMO, which is going F2P soon and tell me which one is more popular here?

Regarding the E3 comment, a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game will be a much bigger news than the same old FF XV with a new trailer. This is not really surprising since people have been waiting for new games in both franchises for a long time, just like they were waiting for the next mainline FF and KH in 2013, and they remained the highlights for the E3 in 2013. So don't use this silly metric to judge the popularity of the series :)

New Game != Already announced game

The excitement is just not the same, even if the IP is popular.

allan-bh

No, but Skyrim shipped more than 20 million, so you can't really compare mass appeal right now.

SgtCobra

It's a demo for the next mainline FF, these numbers are terrible.
It's a "a lot more Yens than it should" demo included with a game lots of people played 4 years ago released on a console with a relatively low install base. People shouldn't expect miracles.

I'm being ridiculous. Not the guy that adds facts to every point out of frustration, one of them being that there's no reason to think this game will sell better other than hype levels through the roof. FACT. General decline of Final Fantasy? Err, X is the second best selling FF of all time and XII is the fourth best selling game. FFXIV sold better than FFXI, when it should be selling worse since FF is declining. FFX remaster is the best selling jrpg remaster of any game as far I know.

The only game that is proving that is FFXIII, and I don't blame the sales. That's the worst mainline FF game I've ever played. That could easily be due to the game not being all that good rather than it all being relevant to decline of jRPGs. Your point of jRPGs is somewhat pointless because I have already stated it's going to pull a lot of WRPG fans due to its gameplay and level design. The only thing stopping FFXV is if it is not a good game.

Just wait a year and you can quote all these comments for pure hilarity if it's wrong. Though just to be slightly obnoxious since you're so dismissive of other perspetives, let me repeat myself again and say that you're wrong.

crinale

March 26th release:

Bloodborne (PS4)
Pirate Warriors 3 (PS4 / PS3 / PSV)
Disgaea 5 (PS4)
Senran Kagura EV (PS4 / PSV)
Deception (PS4 / PS3 / PSV)
Sword Art Online: Lost Song (PS3 / PSV)
Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 (PS3 / PSV)
Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (3DS)

I'm sure I've left out a few more niche titles..

Atelier Rorona for 3DS got delayed

donny2112

Pureauthor had a great quote a while back. It was something like ...

"Game A sold well considering X, Y, and Z."

also means

"Game A did not sell well, and X, Y, and Z are some of the reasons."

Top Bottom