• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2015 (Mar 16 - Mar 22)

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, people in Japan weren't really going to be compelled to be a full price re-release of a game they already played and didn't like the first time.

BadWolf

In which case I still don't get it. FFXV can expand the userbase massively on its own + it's not releasing anytime soon

Would it be fair to say that PS4 will be approaching 3 million solid (or at least be well over 2 million) by the time XV releases or is that too much?

*If it releases in 2016

casiopao

Wtf, how did you come to the conclusion that FFXV won't sell 1.5m in Japan? Do you base it on type-0 sales?

Ummm. I can't remember but how much does FF 13 sells on PS3 and of course on bigger console base number?

I remember PS3 had terrible time on selling huge number of software vs DS,Wii and PSP that time.

Atram

Would it be fair to say that PS4 will be approaching 3 million solid (or at least be well over 2 million) by the time XV releases or is that too much?

*If it releases in 2016

depends when FFXV releases, if it release till March 2016 (i think it will) than i think the max base will be 2.2 - 2.5 mil (depends on the Season).

Darius

Banned
It´s a very often mentioned excuse that the Japanese sales don´t matter that much since Japanese games will be saved by western sales on PS4. Don´t know how anyone can make such statements with a straight face, when even western focused studios are downsizing alot due to far less optimistic expectations, one of the recent ones beeing Codemaster.

It´s also quite ironic that Sony themselves have been one of the most prolific ones in this matter in the generational transition, despite PS4 sales performance, beeing the complete shut-down of Studio Liverpool or the most recent firing of half of the Evolution Studio employees. But "of course all the Japanese games will see a huge increase in popularity in the West just by releasing on PS4".

no, Japan as Playstation Nation is back

Too bad this thread turned into fanfiction.

Orgen

Wtf, how did you come to the conclusion that FFXV won't sell 1.5m in Japan? Do you base it on type-0 sales?

He is basing this on the PS4 hardware sales.

That and I'm thinking that Final Fantasy as a series is declining too (hard to say with the outstanding numbers that PS4 is doing in the West but I think that FFXV WW numbers will be lower than FF XIII WW numbers).

Well......

Try harder.

You know it was perfect, don't need to get upset (always with love <3)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hiska-kun, IIRC the latest Famitsu issue has the monthly top 30 and digital charts. Hopefully, you'll post them as soon as possible.

Firstly, you're being as dismissive of my perspective as I am of yours, no need to take it so personally that I disagree with you as I don't hold it against you at all. I"m not adding points in frustration, just clarifying my position. I also have no desire to quote you if you're wrong, people make mistakes. (on a side note the best selling JRPG remaster would be one of the Pokemon ones.)

Let's take a look at your perspective to see why I'm so dismissive of it
FF XV will sell better because:
- Hype is through the roof
- The WRPG crowd will buy it because its an action RPG now
- FF series isn't on the decline! FFX sold really well

Conversely I don't believe ANY of the above and:
- Hype is comparable to games that FFXV DOESN"T want to be selling like
- A change in battle system has alienated fans of the series in the past and will do so again. Action RPGS aren't inherently more popular by any means.
- Final Fantasy is on the decline. FFX was 14 years ago. 14 Years!

FF13's sequels, and the multitude of spinoffs all show the series is losing its selling power, the only thing that remains to be seen is how this decline applies to the mainline titles and I firmly believe it will be detremental. FF has essentially been in decline since FFX, with FFXIII benefitting from being multiplatformn and "hype" to act as an anomaly, but its perceived quality brought down the general enthusiasm for the series IMO.
FF13's sequels mean jack shit since they're relative to how people liked FFXIII. The general consensus is that it's either the worst or one of the worst Final Fantasy games that were made. It's not just FFX, FFXII is the 4th best selling Final Fantasy, 9 years ago. Way to conveniently ignore that fact. All you're doing is grasping at small straws like FFXIII and its sequels. The game wasn't that good and it didn't sell well. That's not relative to the series selling worse but a game sucking and it selling poorly because of it. FFX remaster again has sold more than any jRPG remaster ever made. FFXIV has sold better than FFXI that released on the PS2.

Your only example at FF losing its magic is FFXIII that is known to be an inferior game to other mainline FF games which is a pretty horrible example.

Your point about the change in style/gameplay alienating jRPG fans might be right, but we disagree here.

Pezus

*If it releases in 2016

Certainly around 3m I'd say. FFXV probably ain't releasing until next year.
The game will then boost PS4 by over 200k on its own imo.

It´s a very often mentioned excuse that the Japanese sales don´t matter that much since Japanese games will be saved by western sales on PS4. Don´t know how anyone can make such statements with a straight face, when even western focused studios are downsizing alot due to far less optimistic expectations, one of the recent ones beeing Codemaster.

It´s also quite ironic that Sony themselves have been one of the most prolific ones in this matter in the generational transition, despite PS4 sales performance, beeing the complete shut-down of Studio Liverpool or the most recent firing of half of the Evolution Studio employees. But "of course all the Japanese games will see a huge increase in popularity in the West just by releasing on PS4".

Are you trying to get a tag or something?

Lets point out the number of things worng with this post:

- FFXV will sell tons since hype is through the roof - thats your perception and its hard to see how such hype can translate into sales quantitatively.
- WRPG will buy now its a ARPG......possible but there are also factors that will put of wrpg fans

- Hype is comparable to games like P5 - countless of people have already told you how useless your metric is (LBP3 has 4 million + views similar to Halo 5....oh no) and again the Internet/your friends is not the full picture by any means.
- Change in battle system - this is just plain wrong. FF12 was not an ARPG. There may be fans of turn based combat put off but ARPG fans could be attracted.
- FF is declining:

FF9 - 5.3 million sold
FF10 - 6.6 million sold (not incl HD)
FF12 - 5.2 million shipped
FF13 - 6.6 million shipped (7 million with PC version most likely)

No.

FF13 spin offs sold badly because FF13 had a bad reputation.

Once again sounds like you don't know what you are talking about.
Some people are in their own little bubble, ie looking at gaf/video game forum hype and basing things off there. It happens on gaf all the time.

test_account

XP-39C²
P.S Revelations 2 was already out digitally before its retail release, so unless this wasn't the case in Japan, I don't think the retail sales are a good indication of how much it performed compared to its predecessor.
Yeah, i think it was available for download before the retail release. Its anyone's guess how much the download version sold though.

I dont know about a huge increase in popularity, but many japanese games are being localized, so i guess many publishers sees it as being worth the effort at least.

Studio Liverpool was closed in August 2012 by the way, over a year before the launch of PS4, so its not related to the PS4. It was rumored that they were working on some PS4 games, but its not related to PS4 sales. They most likely got shut down because Sony didnt believe in the commercial success of their product, if i should guess. This is something that can happen at any time regardless of platform or how succesful it is.

Well of course it always depends on the game. Of course all games don't benefit enough from the success of PS4 in west to make up their lost Japanese sales (compared to situation that they would be on other platforms) but some like MGS and RE would be made for PS4 (and Xbone) even if both would sell 0 units in Japan. Sony is also probably axing their underperforming studios exactly because how well PS4 is doing. Last gen they needed to create all possible extra value for PS3 because it was lagging behind competition and multiplatform games generally helped more X360. Now even without zero first party games PS4 would be leading the market. They don't need games that barely make money anymore.

donny2112

Are we only talking about the opening week here?
I can see FFXV selling 1.1m+ FW and legging it to 1.5m+ lifetime.

Final Fantasy 1st week % of LTD (Famitsu)
PS1 FFVII - 62.1%
PS1 FFVIII - 71.5%
PS1 FFIX - 72.2%
PS2 FFX - 75.3%
PS2 FFXII - 79.2%
PS3 FFXIII - 79.6%

FFXV selling 1.1m first week and 1.5m LTD would be 73.3%, i.e. best legs since FFIX.

If FFXV is actually very good it can have better legs.

FF legs are not particularly determined by how good it is. They're determined by how fast it can be beaten, sold back to stores, and then used sales truncate new sales. Fighting against the used market in Japan is a big deal.

Pezus

Final Fantasy 1st week % of LTD (Famitsu)
PS1 FFVII - 62.1%
PS1 FFVIII - 71.5%
PS1 FFIX - 72.2%
PS2 FFX - 75.3%
PS2 FFXII - 79.2%
PS3 FFXIII - 79.6%

FFXV selling 1.1m first week and 1.5m LTD would be 73.3%, i.e. best legs since FFIX.

FF legs are not particularly determined by how good it is. They're determined by how fast it can be beaten, sold back to stores, and then used sales truncate new sales. Fighting against the used market in Japan is a big deal.
Well I did say 1.1m+. I think it can sell 1.1m minimum FW. Let's say it did 1.2m, as an example, that should make 1.5m+ pretty easy (80% FW).

I'm kind worried actually. FFXV really has a big chance in selling less than the previous entries, I wonder by how mucb though. Hope it's not THAT less.

donny2112

Well I did say 1.1m+. I think it can sell 1.1m minimum FW. Let's say it did 1.2m, as an example, that should make 1.5m+ pretty easy (80% FW).

Yeah, 1.5m is completely reasonable. It follows the general trend of FF games selling less each time, and a 1.2/1.5 1st week/LTD split also fits the trend. It's, of course, also possible for this FF to buck the trend of the FF games getting lower LTDs with higher 1st week %s. It's just that FF hasn't been one to buck trends for a while. If the series wants to continue long-term, it's going to have to expand outside of its currently decreasing niche, though.

Edit:
If the series shifts to a more Western focus, though, and sees growth there, then the decreasing Japanese sales may not be a big issue to S-E. *shrugs*

I'm kind worried actually. FFXV really has a big chance in selling less than the previous entries, I wonder by how mucb though. Hope it's not THAT less.

It will in Japan, that's for sure. That's just the nature of the market over there right now. Worldwide it will be a success, probably in the 6 million range, maybe higher if it is super well received and has great word of mouth.

It will in Japan, that's for sure. That's just the nature of the market over there right now. Worldwide it will be a success, probably in the 6 million range, maybe higher if it is super well received and has great word of mouth.

Yep, I'm talking about Japan. Worldwide I think it has good chances in selling more than XIII.

maxiell

Whatever your impression of how well FF sold this week, packaging the demo with it was a pretty terrible idea. Remaking a mainline entry with special packaging and the demo for PS4 could have been a real hit that got a larger number of people excited for the forthcoming game and the series in general. Huge missed opportunity.

KoopaTheCasual

Final Fantasy is still popular and XV will sell well. In Japan I don't think it will outsell XIII, I think worldwide it will outsell it though.
This is my opinion as well. No way it can outsell XIII in Japan, with the state of the market. And at best FFXV launches to an install base of 3million, while FFXIII launched to an install base of 4 million, in a healthier market.

mazpratim

I don't think FFXV will appeal that much to non-JRPG fans, it still looks very Japanese and that might be a turn-off to a lot of people

Whatever your impression of how well FF sold this week, packaging the demo with it was a pretty terrible idea. Remaking a mainline entry with special packaging and the demo for PS4 could have been a real hit that got a larger number of people excited for the forthcoming game and the series in general. Huge missed opportunity.

Type 0 will do well in the West. SE probably wants to sell that as well as a HD remaster separately to make more money, instead of putting the two together.

Darius

Banned
I doubt there will be such a big difference for specific Japanese games with distinctive Japanes style in the Western markets on PS4 compared to the PS3. I would even go as far as to say that due to the very strong market and marketing push for almost a complete generation in favour of west styled games the general appeal for Japanese sytle games actually decreased over time, I´m not tallking about Japanese games with more western influenced themes/aestetics like Metal Gear or Resident Evil.

There is a market but besides established IPs or something aimed to a large demographic and kidfriendly, it´s mostly reduced to a niche that mostly appeals to nostalgia and people that dream about the good old times and an eldorado of JRPGs for example. While these kind of games were very looked after by the general gamer in past generations, nowadays it´s mostly just people that started to enjoy this kind of games 10+ years ago that actually are looking after these games, while less old people most of the time couldn´t care less or even know about this stuff, due to the dominance of western culture and western publishers.

That´s why I find it always amusing when PS4 is classified as the saviour of Japanese styled games (like JRPGs) due to western sales, especially considering that so far we haven´t seen anything new going beyond the niche status, if it isn´t an already established IP.

I don't think FFXV will appeal that much to non-JRPG fans, it still looks very Japanese and that might be a turn-off to a lot of people
Noctis should get bald and have a beard that grows dynamically throughout the game. They should also add the option to manage relationships with the lead females and NPCs like in Mass Effect and Witcher.
Noctis x Cindy should be a hit.

FluxWaveZ

I disagree. When I see people like Jeff Gerstmann interested in FFXV, it must be doing something right in that regards. The main cast, setting and battle system seem very much like they would appeal to non-JRPG fans. Well, maybe minus the main cast.

I doubt there will be such a big difference for specific Japanese games with distinctive Japanes style in the Western markets on PS4 compared to the PS3. I would even go as far as to say that due to the very strong market and marketing push for almost a complete generation in favour of west styled games the general appeal for Japanese sytle games actually decreased over time, I´m not tallking about Japanese games with more western influenced themes/aestetics like Metal Gear or Resident Evil.

There is a market but besides established IPs or something aimed to a large demographic and kidfriendly, it´s mostly reduced to a niche that mostly appeals to nostalgia and people that dream about the good old times and an eldorado of JRPGs for example. While these kind of games were very looked after by the general gamer in past generations, nowadays it´s mostly just people that started to enjoy this kind of games 10+ years ago that actually are looking after these games, while less old people most of the time couldn´t care less or even know about this stuff, due to the dominance of western culture and western publishers.

That´s why I find it always amusing when PS4 is classified as the saviour of Japanese styled games (like JRPGs) due to western sales, especially considering that so far we haven´t seen anything new going beyond the niche status, if it isn´t an already established IP.
Your performance in this thread is hilarious.

DBZ XV had a better debut than previous DBZ games on PS360 despite the install base differential. Though its hard to say if the PS4's popularity was a substantial reason (your conclusion, while not surprising, is premature) or other factors as I hear many people saying that its the best DBZ they have seen/played.

All in all, PS4's popularity and success in the West can only be seen as a positive.

Darius

Banned
DBZ XV had a better debut than previous DBZ games on PS360 despite the install base differential. Though its hard to say if the PS4's popularity was a substantial reason (your conclusion, while not surprising, is premature) or other factors as I hear many people saying that its the best DBZ they have seen/played.

All in all, PS4's popularity and success in the West can only be seen as a positive.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a cross-gen title also available on X360 and PS3 and Dragon Ball clearly falls into the kid-friendly and established IP category. It also benefits for beeing the first DB entry on the next gen system, novelty effect.

cafemomo

It was really dumb from SE to not make a Vita version of type 0.

i can play it perfectly fine on my vita
B_T5mUUUoAAYxEo.jpg

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a cross-gen title also available on X360 and PS3 and Dragon Ball clearly falls into the kid-friendly and established IP category. It also benefits for beeing the first DB entry on the next gen system, novelty effect.

Novelty effect didn't work last gen so why did it work now. If you looke dat the charts the next gen versions dominated sales, on EU, this meant PS4.

So less than 2,600 copies of FFT0 XBone sold, which is a massive bomba, but of course not unexpected. Though on MC's tracker it looks to have halted the sales decline of the hardware :p

Also no sign of RE or BFH games on the format (if they got released at all that is), nor helping the system move units in any way. I wonder if these "hits" will pave the way for third parties to just not bother at all with the system going forward in Japan. Seems only exclusives will have any impact for the Xbox but even then we are looking minimal sales in the low thousands.

antibolo

Banned
So less than 2,600 copies of FFT0 XBone sold, which is a massive bomba, but of course not unexpected. Though on MC's tracker it looks to have halted the sales decline of the hardware :p

Also no sign of RE or BFH games on the format (if they got released at all that is), nor helping the system move units in any way. I wonder if these "hits" will pave the way for third parties to just not bother at all with the system going forward in Japan. Seems only exclusives will have any impact for the Xbox but even then we are looking minimal sales in the low thousands.

Nothing could save the Xbox One in Japan.

The only major Japanese exclusive is Scalebound, which is a Platinum game and will therefore automatically bomba anyway.

Darius

Banned
Novelty effect didn't work last gen so why did it work now. If you looke dat the charts the next gen versions dominated sales, on EU, this meant PS4.

No reason to cherrypick and mix in misinformation, the information was about all skus combined sales and also only about the debut in UK and not EU, there was nothing in the comment that implied something different, we neither have any idea of actual lifetime sales nor numbers of its debut. We don´t have any concrete information about previous sales performances of DB games in UK, so it´s rather pointless to begin with. Also I´m talking about the western market as a whole and made it quite clear that there is a difference between new IPs and established kid-friendly IPs and Dragon Ball is one that definetely reached mainstream appeal in the West.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You know DB:Xenoverse probably recieved a major contribution from PC, sales-wise, right? Not to say PS4 didn't help, but it's not just PS4. Far from it.

Top Bottom