• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

Santar

Dang it, they still haven't fixed that annoying stutter when the game autosaves.
Ground Zeroes had the same problem, it breaks the flow of the gameplay a bit, annoying!

JimPanzer

Someone already arrived in the 2nd area of the game (
africa
)? Does the increased
foliage
hit the performance?

AlanOC91

Can anyone theorycraft/comment on how this would run on an 8350@4.8ghz with R9 290 crossfire at 4k?

Ground Zereos was alright. Not amazing performance but I was constantly maxing it all out. And it's been a few drivers ago I tested it.

Has this been optimized better?

CHC

Ugh bought an Nvidia key but it says it's been disabled. Really annoying, first time I've had bad luck buying a game key and I hope it winds up working. I want to play!

Tovarisc

There is no audio volume sliders, really? Well there is for custom soundtrack, but it's useless slider when normal gameplay is deafening loud.

1440p/60 looks and runs really well on the 980Ti.

Disappointed in the cap though. XB270HU not getting fully utilized. Still, runs really well and looks fantastic. Much better port than most.

Also, why no jump button? Wish I could jump.

Done.
We have the time setup too it seems ! Game is running pretty well so far . Turned off the AO IN-game and used the hbao from the nvidia control panel ..

I do see some weird drops though

Weirdly enough

Evo X

Man the prologue was epic.

Just got dumped into the open world and it's really intimidating (especially as I'll be playing without those silly assists like the slowmotion when you get spotted:p)

Oh yeah, prologue was amazing. Balls out insane at some points.

And I don't think those assists are silly. You're the Big Boss, bullet time should be second nature. :D

It's one of my favorite additions really. Getting spotted does not immediately alert the whole base if you're quick enough with the trigger.

aravuus

What are the "obtainable skills/blueprints" in the mission select screen? Items I can pick up in the world, skills (?) I can get by doing the bonus mission tasks or something like that?

e: goddamn it, wrong thread

Ugh bought an Nvidia key but it says it's been disabled. Really annoying, first time I've had bad luck buying a game key and I hope it winds up working. I want to play!
If you didnt activate the key yet I'm fairly sure the vouchers expired at the end of yesterday

Mupod

i5 2500K@4.4 GHz
8 GB
GTX 970

Prologue is a 60 FPS charm 2560x1440 maxed out.

I have a similar system (970 overclocked as much as I could get it) and plan to downsample from that same resolution. Curious how it runs with HBAO+ at that resolution.

Everything maxed out at 1440p on a 980Ti. Locked 60FPS 99% of the time, but there seems to be some stutter while rolling on dust. It causes weird frame drops. Same thing happens when "something" causes dust clouds in the first Afghanistan mission. Anyone else experiencing this?

Can I safely skip the cutscene at the beginning to mess with settings, or is it going to autosave?

Oh and holy shit, I'm playing it!

Edit: Never mind, I should have more patience.

artsi

I posted this in the DF thread too but here's a PC / PS4 comparison shot I took.

PC has clearly superior AF, and a bit more natural colors I think. The TOD is the same, but on PS4 there's some kind of yellowing filter going on.

PC (Max settings, 1920x1080)

AlRJd90.jpg

PS4

gJNcKxP.jpg

I didn't have HBAO+ enabled yet on this.

EDIT: I checked and PS4 time of day was a bit further so that's why the color was different. It wasn't many minutes but it was just when day was changing to dusk. So colors are the same on both platforms.

Vex_

Banned
Can I safely skip the cutscene at the beginning to mess with settings, or is it going to autosave?

I still can't believe I am downloading this game right now. We made it, gaf.

(Oh and I've decided to play this on PC even though I played GZ on ps4 and have a free copy of tpp on both PC and ps4.) :p

Thoraxes

On a single 970 i'm switching between a locked 30FPS/4k, or 1440p/60FPS. Both on completely maxed out settings.

It runs flawlessly and looks good too.

Edit: Never mind, I should have more patience.

It went through the intro again after I closed and reopened the game after I changed my settings.

If it somehow doesn't there's an option to delete your save file as well.

Godan

This game runs so well and looks really good too :)

How do I get my transfer from GZ after I have uploaded it?

laxu

Jesus, that intro sequence must've had the longest "slow walk" bullshit in a long time. Other than that the game looks pretty great and runs nicely at 4K DSR, all details maxed on my 980 Ti. It defaults to borderless window mode btw, might be worth changing to fullscreen as borderless window is always on top.

I'm bummed that you still cannot use mouse and controller at the same time. At least the cursor doesn't pop up but this doesn't bode well for Steam Controller which could really use analog movement control combined with mouse aim.

It's always a shame when a developer gives just a bit too few options. Why can't I control antialiasing (FXAA I assume) separately or even adjust sound volume? Why is it still capped to 60 fps when modders showed running at higher framerates didn't break the engine or anything? It's like they've barely learned anything from GZ. At least the DoF is far better.

I do hope this gets a few patches that rectify at least the controller (deadzone and simultaneous multiple input methods) issues and add some more settings.

Nzyme32

Quick summary, I'm bellow the min spec:

i5-2430m (dual core) 2.3ghz
Nvidia Gt525m 1gb
4gb ram
1366x768 native resolution

With GZ I was on low/medium and getting 36fps average

With TPP it is actually improved some what - every thing on low except texture filtering, lighting and effects on high. I'm averaging 38fps but vary between 28fps in intense moments to 45fps in the lighter scenes. Still not played around with the settings to find out what else I can do, but the game looks fantastic even on this low end!

Very very pleased

Also if this game has Denuvo DRM, then I like it as a DRM solution if I'm forced to have one - I have no issues with performance and no problem offline or online thus far.

I posted this in the DF thread too but here's a PC / PS4 comparison shot I took.

PC has clearly superior AF, and a bit more natural colors I think. The TOD is the same, but on PS4 there's some kind of yellowing filter going on.

I didn't have HBAO+ enabled yet on this.

EDIT: I checked and PS4 time of day was a bit further so that's why the color was different. It wasn't many minutes but it was just when day was changing to dusk. So colors are the same on both platforms.

What do you mean by TOD ?

Nzyme32

So, can you transfer your Ground Zeroes save to The Phantom Pain on PC yet?

I have no idea how that works. As soon as I started the game it unlocked stuff. Two were preorder bonuses - staff and emblem, but then there was another staff, so I assume it found my GZ save that I uploaded via GZ.

There is no specific method I can see to tell TPP to look for saves, so I assume it just does it

Demigod Mac

Can't seem to get Adaptive V-Sync to work. Tearing galore when it's turned on. Regular V-Sync is fine. (Nvidia)

No biggie since the game runs at 60 fps 99% of the time, but it'd be nice to turn it on in case there's ever a dip.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Runs pretty good on my relic of a PC

Core i5-750
ATI 5850
4gb RAM

Getting 40+ FPS in 1080p with a mix of medium and high settings (didn't bother to change the defaults).

heyf00L

I have no idea how that works. As soon as I started the game it unlocked stuff. Two were preorder bonuses - staff and emblem, but then there was another staff, so I assume it found my GZ save that I uploaded via GZ.

There is no specific method I can see to tell TPP to look for saves, so I assume it just does it

Yep, all I did was upload save from GZ then launched TPP and it found the save.

Top Bottom