• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

Two 980Ti's can easily handle this game at 4K considering a single one gets about 40fps at that res.

Should be able for sure.

On that note are any single 980Ti owners able to get a 3840 X 2160 to run at 60fps like the Nvidia Tweak Guide say's it should? Is that with settings turned down? If so, which ones?

15-NV-GF-MGS_NV_Recommened_GPUs-Chart-7A-650px.png

edit: Just noticed it said High. I had everything at max. May give that a spin when I get home.

Funny story. I was looking at some shadow play videos I forgot I had taken. My wife at some point got some new flying mount in Wow and wanted me to take a look, I was like Oh, it's a whole new world for you now. Which then lead me to think about that Aladdin song, which then lead to me singing it. And I forgot that I had left Shadowplay with an open mic on. I actually embarrassed myself when I was looking at. Boss, running through the jungle. Slicing throats and using to his skills to pick apart the enemy. While singing , "I can open your eyes, take you wonder by wonder". Good times.

You should upload that. ;)

Klossen

Banned
What would a likely cause be to frame rate drops during Fulton? Could be dust particles as my framerate also goes to shit when chopper starts to fire on me. What setting do I need to tinker with to lessen the drops?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For those with 120fps hopes, keep in mind that 120fps in Ground Zeroes caused glitchy projectile physics. Stuff like hand grenades and gun magazines.

I think the performance got worse with the new patch.

I honestly didn't know there was a patch until coming here today, my gtx760 took a major dip to below 30fpd where I had been maintaining 55-60 for with everything g on extra high but the last 3 settings on high and volumetric clouds off. Was very odd and concerning it dropped huge in side ops 06? The night one.

Evo X

What would a likely cause be to frame rate drops during Fulton? Could be dust particles as my framerate also goes to shit when chopper starts to fire on me. What setting do I need to tinker with to lessen the drops?

Lower the Effects setting.

Can you clarify? The more you downsample, the less dithering, or the less volumetric clouds/densitys?

More you down sample, the less visible the artificats are from the dither. Same with the game''s hair for example.

DSing does not make volumetric clouds look worse or anything. :D
How do you mark a staff menu "viewed" so they stop being marked on the list and the Mother Base tab?

Drives me crazy.

Gooooood question.

Has anyone else had ridiculous lag when customizing their base logo? It takes so long to just switch between any available options that it's not worth doing. Which is strange, because the actual gameplay so far runs nigh-flawlessly.

Xyber

Has anyone else had ridiculous lag when customizing their base logo? It takes so long to just switch between any available options that it's not worth doing. Which is strange, because the actual gameplay so far runs nigh-flawlessly.

Yes, there is something weird going on there. After a while I'm down to about 3FPS.

Squishy3

Does anyone else not have Steam overlay work at all? It wouldn't be as bad if borderless windowed actually worked. (it technically does, except for the part where TTP is always on top regardless making it pointless.)

And Borderless Gaming doesn't do anything to help with borderless windowed.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well here's step one. Looking forward to the dictionary building more so we can work on FPS fixes.

This currently will allow for "extra high" Ground Zeroes style settings as well.

FXAA ON Extra High
mgsvtpp_2015_09_03_17_01_59_60_by_aloooo81-d989c54.png

FXAA OFF Extra High
mgsvtpp_2015_09_03_17_00_23_59_by_aloooo81-d989c5j.png

Gonna work on injecting SMAA later.

Check out the Xentax forums for some details on the unpacker.

pahamrick

Don't know if someone else has already experience it, or if it was a one time thing but using HBAO+ through the Nvidia control panel absolutely kills a certain cutscene for me, was hitting FPS in the single digits. Soon as I turned HBAO+ off, it worked fine.

Just a heads up.

Geoff9920

Two 980Ti's can easily handle this game at 4K considering a single one gets about 40fps at that res.
Yeah, I'm running them and they can handle 4k60 w/hbao+ forced without any issues.

There was one brief instance of major slowdown during the prologue(sub 20 fps), but that seemed more like an issue with the game rather than the cards and it only lasted a second or two. Everything else has been smooth the entire time (~5 hours in).

I've been getting weird stuttering and lag at randoms times today, didn't have this problem before and I haven't changed any graphics settings. It happens every 30 seconds or so when I'm moving. Anyone have something similar happen? I'm going to restart my PC and see if that fixes it.

Drogean

Well here's step one. Looking forward to the dictionary building more so we can work on FPS fixes.

This currently will allow for "extra high" Ground Zeroes style settings as well.

Gonna work on injecting SMAA later.

Check out the Xentax forums for some details on the unpacker.

what .dat file did you find this in, and what path?

also, any luck finding /Assets/tpp/pack/player/parts/?

Yeah, 2 OC'd 970s only start to show a handful of dips when I run at 2880x1600.
2560x1600 runs flawlessly.

Is anyone running 980ti's in SLI? Can they handle 4K?

Yea, I can confirm. My Titan-X SLI system cuts through this game like a hot knife through butter at 4K. Every setting maxed out (Ambient Occlusion off, HBAO+ enabled in the control panel)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
what .dat file did you find this in, and what path?

also, any luck finding /Assets/tpp/pack/player/parts/?

data1\Fox\Scripts\Gr\gr_init_dx11.lua

Code:
{settingName="PluginFxaa",settingTable=
									{
									{name="G7",EnableFilter=1},
									{name="G8E",EnableFilter=1},
									{name="Default",EnableFilter=1},
									{name="Off",EnableFilter=0},
									{name="Low",EnableFilter=0},
									{name="High",EnableFilter=1},
									{name="ExtraHigh",EnableFilter=0}}},

For Extra High set enable filter to 0 on that section.

And unfortunately no, so no FoV fix currently. Apparently we just need to properly fill in the dictionary file, but I don't know how to go about doing so.

Don't know if someone else has already experience it, or if it was a one time thing but using HBAO+ through the Nvidia control panel absolutely kills a certain cutscene for me, was hitting FPS in the single digits. Soon as I turned HBAO+ off, it worked fine.

Just a heads up.

I've only done the prologue but I had a couple instances of this and the frame rate just shitting to bed briefly along with some other minor issues, maybe HBAO+ is why.

shwimpy

Ugh. I keep getting a blank/black screen after getting into the helicopter from Mother Base. It was perfectly fine before today/pre-patch. Any fixes?

Nerrel

Just a heads up.

I had this happen in the prologue when
Ishmael is pulling snake under the bed to hide
, which is an odd place for a hang up as it's hardly the most intense moment in that chapter
(the fire Volgin explosions ran fine!)
. It ran flawlessly at 60fps with the default AO on extra high, but with HBAO+ it stuttered hard.

I haven't had any issues in actual gameplay, though.

Oppo

Yea weird. I was getting dips to like 50fps out in some missions, when on launch it was a flawless 60fps.

I hope it was only for that small moment, don't want to drop settings or HBAO+.

I honesty think these rare occurrences are just the devs sneaking in a big load. a micro dip in frame rate a handful of times would be a bug of the lowest priority.

now, what's curious to me is the sky flickers quite noticeably sometimes. this is on a plasma. it can be very distracting. I don't think it's my settings. anyone else see this?

Just took a quick glance through the thread, but only really saw discussion about nVidia hardware. Any tips for crossfire 290X? Hoping to set everything to the max, along with down-sampling. Running on a 1080P monitor.

I've noticed frame rate drops using the NVG's near large pools of light and sometimes when a lot of sand and dust is kicked up from explosions etc. Could just be that I'm playing at 1440p but as the game isn't that demanding I'm still surprised it happens with my 4790k/980.

Also the game never uses more than 75% of my card. I guess the lack of things like tessellation mean there's quite a bit left over.

Skux

I tried it on my laptop!

i3-3110m
GeForce GT 630M 1GB
4GB RAM

It runs surprisingly well. I can get locked 30fps at 720p with everything on high and on, with only very minor dips with a lot of transparencies. Turning down on or two settings like AO, shadows, or post processing will easily get you a solid 30fps.

Bruzur

Neo Member
I have a Titan X SLI configuration, with a 5960X, (playing at 1440p) and for some strange reason... I'm seeing those dips that folks are referencing after installing the latest patch.

Definitely a little disappointing, but it's still a new game, so I suppose it's "owed" some slack.

DoctorZ

Any performance differences between Windows 7 and 10? I am thinking of upgrading once I install my R9 390, but don't really need to until dx12 games are coming out. It's free so just curious if it could help or hurt performance.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Anyway to unlock the framerate?

My 144hz monitor feels sad having to play at a locked 60.
I thought it was going to be amazing when I unlocked the fps in GZ, but the frame pacing or something else was ruined and it was less smooth than 60. I locked it straight back up.

pahamrick

I had this happen in the prologue when
Ishmael is pulling snake under the bed to hide
, which is an odd place for a hang up as it's hardly the most intense moment in that chapter
(the fire Volgin explosions ran fine!)
. It ran flawlessly at 60fps with the default AO on extra high, but with HBAO+ it stuttered hard.

I haven't had any issues in actual gameplay, though.

I've only done the prologue but I had a couple instances of this and the frame rate just shitting to bed briefly along with some other minor issues, maybe HBAO+ is why.

Definitely thinking HBAO+ is the culprit. Had a couple more instances where the game would suddenly drop into the low teens or single digits. Turned off HBAO+, maxed out in-game AO and replayed those instances and it remained buttery smooth.

Top Bottom