• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

It's not Africa. The reason it slowed down at that part is because of the dust the chopper was kicking up. When you have Effects maxed out, the framerate takes a huge hit trying to shade any alpha such as smoke and dust. You can notice it a bit when you fulton stuff as well.

As the Geforce article points out, the amount of alpha thrown out on the "extra" high level of effects is pretty intense. Then combine that with the fact that it is also shaded and shadowed... yikes!

It's not Africa. The reason it slowed down at that part is because of the dust the chopper was kicking up. When you have Effects maxed out, the framerate takes a huge hit trying to shade any alpha such as smoke and dust. You can notice it a bit when you fulton stuff as well.

As the Geforce article points out, the amount of alpha thrown out on the "extra" high level of effects is pretty intense. Then combine that with the fact that it is also shaded and shadowed... yikes!

Thanks! It is weird that I haven't noticed any dips like this in Afghanistan even during dust storms and in particle heavy scenes with
The Skulls
. At least I know which setting to drop if the problem persists.

Thanks! It is weird that I haven't noticed any dips like this in Afghanistan even during dust storms and in particle heavy scenes with
The Skulls
. At least I know which setting to drop if the problem persists.

Yeah the sandstorm ijust seemingly a screen effect mixed with something else (distance fog coming in?)

Different than tons of alpha planes interescting near the camera :D

JimPanzer

I'll probably add a second GTX970 to my system tomorrow. Will this allow for 1440p locked 60 fps at max settings and HBAO+? Considering I'm getting locked 60 at that settings with a single GTX970 it should be possible?

Evo X

I'll probably add a second GTX970 to my system tomorrow. Will this allow for 1440p locked 60 fps at max settings and HBAO+? Considering I'm getting locked 60 at that settings with a single GTX970 it should be possible?

Yes, it should. 970 SLI performance is very similar to single Titan X and I'm able to run it locked 60fps at 1440p max +HBAO.

b0bbyJ03

I was able to play the entire prologue at 1440p/60 on a 980 with everything maxed. Just got to Afghanistan. Can anyone with a 980 tell me what I can expect. Will I be able to maintain 60FPS for the most part or will I have to lower some settings at some point?

heringer

I was able to play the entire prologue at 1440p/60 on a 980 with everything maxed. Just got to Afghanistan. Can anyone with a 980 tell me what I can expect. Will I be able to maintain 60FPS for the most part or will I have to lower some settings at some point?

It will drop here and there, but for the most part you are probably fine.

Evo X

thanks! I forgot to add I want to downsample to 1080p. What smoothing level should I chose in the DSR config?

I use a 25% smoothing level.

You will get some drops. Id recommend turning off volumetric clouds. They aren't really noticeable, but have a sizeable performance cost. If that doesn't do it, knock effects down a notch followed by post processing.

Fractal

Banned
Two times already my Steam download ended up resetting itself after shutting down the PC. Thought it was a bug the first time and I didn't lose too much progress, but the second time after shutting my PC down for the night, I woke up with some 18 GB down the drain which is a lot considering my Internet speed. This sucks, really wanted to play the game today.

Eurogamer ran an article today saying MGSV is better played offline atm because of various online-related problems (load times mostly when opening the iDroid, going through menus, etc. ).
Anyone on PC experienced this?

The1Ski

HBAO+ hit my 960 a little too hard. Went back to the games occlusion and regret nothing.

This game is absolutely beautiful! It's a shame we don't a greater variety of locations in the game.

Arkanius

Eurogamer ran an article today saying MGSV is better played offline atm because of various online-related problems (load times mostly when opening the iDroid, going through menus, etc. ).

Yes
When online, the menus take such a long time to load.

Tovarisc

Oh yes. I run game on SSD and load times increase X potentially when connected to that Online garbage. Going to offline mode turns load times into almost instant for me.

Edit: This goes for starting the game itself, loading into missions, using menus etc.

Edit 2: For emblem creator murdering FPS. I removed both "words" from my emblem and all lag/FPS murdering disappeared from editor.

The1Ski

I agree. I'll connect online but just to get the daily reward, then either the server disconnects me or I disconnect. Load times and menu functions are noticeably quicker offline.

Unless it's just a coincidence. But I don't think it is.

Evo X

I've noticed the loading thing too. It's super slow with the online mode. Not sure what the benefits of it even are, but it really ruins the momentum of the game.

Rodin

HBAO+ hit my 960 a little too hard. Went back to the games occlusion and regret nothing.

This game is absolutely beautiful! It's a shame we don't a greater variety of locations in the game.

Try these settings with HBAO+

Everything on Extra High
Shadows - High
Effects - High
Post Processing - High
DoF - Enabled
Motion blur - your choice, doesn't really affect performances (i put it on medium cause i find it a bit "disturbing" on high)
Volumetric clouds - No

You should be perfectly fine.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I get a sound bug I think playing with my setup. Speakers are configured for 7.1 but I get zero audio from my center channel. Every tv ng else works fine. It seems like the game is just playing in stereo and my receiver is upmixing it through the channels. There is basically no activity from the rear and surround channels.

Mupod

I've been playing with a single OC 970 at 1440p/HBAO+ since the start and the only dips were during a couple of early cutscenes (which seems to happen to everyone).

On the subject of HBAO+ I haven't actually turned it off to compare yet...I have limited time to play during the week and I want to spend it all actually playing, not messing with settings. But I did my last few missions at night and sometimes I had trouble with the game being WAY too dark in situations where it doesn't seem like it should. I'm wondering if there's some mechanic like where Snake's eyes need to adjust when moving in/out of brighter areas or if there's some fuckery going on with that setting.

Yes
When online, the menus take such a long time to load.
Which is even more ridiculous when you consider that the menus other than the pause menu are in-game and time does not stop.

Need to call in a quick extraction after finishing an objective in enemy territory? 10 second loading screen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously, what online specific information is it even trying to request / send in freaking iDroid menus?

Weird, it doesn't let me launch the game when I put Steam in offline mode.

Doesn't really matter right now because their servers are down.
In the pause menu in-game you can disconnect

NIN90

Weird, it doesn't let me launch the game when I put Steam in offline mode.

Doesn't really matter right now because their servers are down.
You put the game into offline mode from within the game itself. There's a menu item called "Disconnect".

Yes this is true. For some reason loading up menus takes forever when in online mode. Everything resolved the moment I switched to offline.

RK9039

Which is even more ridiculous when you consider that the menus other than the pause menu are in-game and time does not stop.

Need to call in a quick extraction after finishing an objective in enemy territory? 10 second loading screen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously, what online specific information is it even trying to request / send in freaking iDroid menus?

In the pause menu in-game you can disconnect

You put the game into offline mode from within the game itself. There's a menu item called "Disconnect".

Thanks guys, I didn't know that.

Game just crashed upon taking my first screenshot with fraps:(
Is that normal? if so what do you use for screenshots.

God I hope I didn't lose a bunch of progress, I just did 3 side ops in a row without returning to chopper:\

I've noticed the loading thing too. It's super slow with the online mode. Not sure what the benefits of it even are, but it really ruins the momentum of the game.

I dont understand what the benefits of being online are either but I'm sort of afraid to disconnect for that same reason. I dont know what I'm turning off.

idroid takes forever though.

Grief.exe

God I hope I didn't lose a bunch of progress, I just did 3 side ops in a row without returning to chopper:

I've been using Afterburner.

I dont understand what the benefits of being online are either but I'm sort of afraid to disconnect for that same reason. I dont know what I'm turning off.

idroid takes forever though.

FOB invasions.

Parshias7

Has anyone had trouble editing their emblem on PC? I was going to edit the text on my emblem and the game got really unresponsive, like 2-3 second wait in between pushing down and the cursor moving one spot down. I quit out of the editor without saving changes and everything was fine after that.

heringer

Any way to bypass the annoying logging to server loading when the game is booting? I wish you could just disconnect the game forever.

jorimt

I was actually happy just now to get "Sorry, servers are in maintenance" error. Faster boot up time and fast in-game loads without need to disconnect manually \o/

If you hit "decline" in the service agreement during startup, it will give you an option to go into offline mode right then and there.

God I hope I didn't lose a bunch of progress, I just did 3 side ops in a row without returning to chopper:\

MSI afterburner is by the far the best IMO, Free, choice of file type, integrates with OSD.

Suddenly my game started crashing every time I change the resolution or alt+tab back to the desktop.
Anyone else have this happen? Or is my pc just being stupid...

MSI afterburner is by the far the best IMO, Free, choice of file type, integrates with OSD.

As I said, it doesn't work with MGS5 (and not just for me, for a lot of people)
Something about riva tuner statistics server (the part of afterburner that gives you the OSD) not working with MGS5. The game simply crashes on startup.

If someone had this problem and managed to fix it I'd be grateful for a solution, MGS5 is the only game where it doesn't work.

edit: unrelated but:
The game doesn't properly save my control settings.
The resolution is borked with DSR, every single time I start the game I have to select a different resolution then select 1440p again to get it to work right, the UI is all low res and there's tons of aliasing ingame until I do this.

As I said, it doesn't work with MGS5 (and not just for me, for a lot of people)
Something about riva tuner statistics server (the part of afterburner that gives you the OSD) not working with MGS5. The game simply crashes on startup.

If someone had this problem and managed to fix it I'd be grateful for a solution, MGS5 is the only game where it doesn't work.

edit: unrelated but:
The game doesn't properly save my control settings.
The resolution is borked with DSR, every single time I start the game I have to select a different resolution then select 1440p again to get it to work right, the UI is all low res and there's tons of aliasing ingame until I do this.
Did you tick the box for 64 bit OSD support? Did you install the 64 bit version? That would prevent it from working.

It works 100% on my end.
tpphtkyl.png

Any mods to enhance the visuals yet? Like the LOD one for GZ or a way to inject SMAA?

Shadow rendering distance increasing is what I want.
with DSR, every single time I start the game I have to select a different resolution then select 1440p again to get it to work right, the UI is all low res and there's tons of aliasing ingame until I do this.

Alt tab in and out of game. THere should be no need to reset the resolution. The DSR smoothing filter breaks and alt tabbing makes it work again (this makes aliasing actually increase for some reason).

Top Bottom